Poly is where it’s at!

SCDVC2000

Earning My Ears
We have just recently purchased our Poly contract. With Tron opening at MK, and easy access to EPCOT, this resort is going to in even higher demand in 2021 and beyond. I predict difficult 7 month reservations for non-home resort DVC members.
I was told by a DVC resale rep that the points will probably be selling 10-15% higher in 2 years :)

Not to burst your bubble but Tron will have little to no effect in room availability.

Easy access to Epcot? I disagree on that. Boardwalk and Beach club are easy access. Poly is a long stinky monorail trip away.

I love the Poly. My wife absolutely hates it. That means I won’t be staying there any time soon.

Congratulations on the purchase though.

Not to burst your bubble but Tron will have little to no effect in room availability.

Easy access to Epcot? I disagree on that. Boardwalk and Beach club are easy access. Poly is a long stinky monorail trip away.

I love the Poly. My wife absolutely hates it. That means I won’t be staying there any time soon.

Congratulations on the purchase though.

agreed about boardwalk/Beach club access to Epcot being superior

Yeah I like the poly a lot, but the 10-15% increase will be direct price increase and will not follow suit in the resale market due to there being essentially one room type at poly. Now the studios at poly are great and the view is probably the best out there other than blt. Also the dining is the best all around (personal taste I know). Epcot access is the best of the mk resorts but that doesn't mean it's good; there are now 3 dvc resorts (and more non dvc) that are superior for epcot access.

All things considered it is a great resort; congrats on owning there I'm sure it will bring a lot of joy in the years to come.

Congratulations; I understand your excitement. I apologize if I'm raining on your parade a bit, but I found this cringeworthy:
I was told by a DVC resale rep that the points will probably be selling 10-15% higher in 2 years :)

The rep should not have discussed future projections of sale price. Honestly, I think it's a bit low projection (it will probably appreciate more than that on paper before transaction costs of selling) unless the economy retracts, but I still find it cringeworthy because one should view this purchase the same as buying a boat - a money pit. A fun money pit, but it's still going to require annual maintenance fees. The only way you can recover some of your investment is to rent your points, and that kind of defeats the purpose of owning a DVC timeshare.

We have just recently purchased our Poly contract. With Tron opening at MK, and easy access to EPCOT, this resort is going to in even higher demand in 2021 and beyond. I predict difficult 7 month reservations for non-home resort DVC members.

Sorry but Poly is having sort of the same "easy" access to Epcot as BLT and VGF. Only BCV and BWV have easy access to Epcot

Regarding difficulties booking during the 7 month window, that will increase not because its Poly or it being 2021 but because more resorts are opening and more owners are joining and most new owners (outside DIS) buy to stay at all the resorts so the difficulties will be at all resorts. On top the restrictions will increase that difficulty.

The DVC longhouses are closer to the TTC (and poly as a whole is walkable to there) which to me makes it the quickest of the loop resorts to get to Epcot, so in that regards I agree with the OP. But obviously if anyone argues it’s better than any crescent lake resort they are being biased.
Also, that is an odd thing for the Dvc rep to say..

Sorry but Poly is having sort of the same "easy" access to Epcot as BLT and VGF. Only BCV and BWV have easy access to Epcot

Regarding difficulties booking during the 7 month window, that will increase not because its Poly or it being 2021 but because more resorts are opening and more owners are joining and most new owners (outside DIS) buy to stay at all the resorts so the difficulties will be at all resorts. On top the restrictions will increase that difficulty.

I have stayed at all 3, and if someone can walk to TTC, it is easier/faster from Poly than the other 2. Granted, it’s not like BWV or BCV, but I agree that it has a pretty easy way to get to Epcot.

Also, that is an odd thing for the Dvc rep to say..
OP said a DVC RESALE rep said that, big difference! And could very well be right.

Since you can walk to TTC, Poly is about 3 or 4 on the list of Epcot accessible. BWV and BCV 1 and 2 no contest. Riviera probably gets 3, but guess there is a little of a debate there.

Tron is one ride. It won't make a difference. The Bungalows are the biggest force affecting 7 month availability.

Congrats on your purchase, I love the poly.

I don't know about that. Poly reached an average resale high of $163 per point in July 2018 and has since dropped to $149 per point for the just completed month of November. That is an 8.6% drop.

The feature of not having to go through security twice when going to Epcot scored major points with this guy when we were there in Nov! That was a nice change. I love the location of Poly, and love the resort itself as well.

The feature of not having to go through security twice when going to Epcot scored major points with this guy when we were there in Nov! That was a nice change. I love the location of Poly, and love the resort itself as well.
Going through it twice never made any sense. But Poly also has many negatives, no one bedrooms, 2 bedrooms and no 3 bedroom grand villas. They do have some non traditional 2 bedrooms with the Bungalows, but the point costs are crazy. PVB will have difficulty at 7 months during the fall frenzy. They have 300 plus studios. Try to book a. CCV studio at 7 months. That is difficult almost all year long. Another issue with PVB is, they are going to have to raise point values for the studios to offset points for the Bungalows, they cannot rent our due to the ridiculous point costs. In order to make them more attractive points will be added to the studios and reduced from the Bungalows. You will get less for your points. We love the studios there.

I just bought into Poly as well. As has already been pointed out the pricing for it has recently gotten cheaper in the resale market and the annual dues are very reasonable for what is a top tier DVC resort.

I don't know about that. Poly reached an average resale high of $163 per point in July 2018 and has since dropped to $149 per point for the just completed month of November. That is an 8.6% drop.
I want to make it clear this is not a shot at Poly. It is a great resort. Great theming, huge studios, and a great location. The price point, maintenance fees and years remaining on contract make a great buy, too. If you are looking to buy and will be booking studios, Poly should be one of the resorts at the top of your list.

I definitely did not purchase DVC as a “financial investment” in the sense of making money- that would be crazy. But it will definitely save our family huge amounts of cash that we would have otherwise spent.
I think that all of the DVC resorts will continue to hold their value and I think that the combination of continued price increases at the resorts in combination with the massive amounts of improvements at MK and EPCOT will put the monorail resorts in a special position for resale over the next 5-10 years. Seriously, in 5 years who is going to be able to pay $900/nt cash for a studio?!
I do have some concerns about shifting points from bungalows to the studios. This is already taking place in 2021 for October/Nov (2020 price studio 1 week is 130 points. Increasing to 139 in 2021). The bungalow prices are, I think, artificially high, and have a lot of room to drop in price while raising studio prices.
Anyways, Poly is great, we’ll break even in 4 trips I think👍

Another issue with PVB is, they are going to have to raise point values for the studios to offset points for the Bungalows, they cannot rent our due to the ridiculous point costs. In order to make them more attractive points will be added to the studios and reduced from the Bungalows. You will get less for your points. We love the studios there.

I do not think this will happen.
1. If no poly DVC owners rent the Bungalows, hello breakage income, Disney makes money. Why would disney care that no member rents them? Worst case, not one soul rents one ever, via points or cash. Disney makes nothing, but they spend nothing either. The owners still pay for their upkeep and disney sold them for around 165 million dollars.

2. The bad ratio of them. Choice season is 120 points for a week night. If they wanted to lower that and add one more point per night per studio they would need 300 (actually I think its 360, but go with 300) they would have to take off 25 points per Bungalow per night. Now you have Bungalows at 95 a night when CCV cabins are 94, only a 1 point difference per night, and now you also have studios that are 1 point MORE than the Grand Floridian, the "Flagship" resort. I guess they could add 1 point per night to only the lake view studios to keep the Bungalows above CCV, but then they are still more than the VGF studios, which might leave a sour taste in Poly owners mouths.

But then again, I am in the camp that thinks Disney execs are laughing at the fast one they pulled with the Bungalows and frankly, just don't care.

I do not think this will happen.
1. If no poly DVC owners rent the Bungalows, hello breakage income, Disney makes money. Why would disney care that no member rents them? Worst case, not one soul rents one ever, via points or cash. Disney makes nothing, but they spend nothing either. The owners still pay for their upkeep and disney sold them for around 165 million dollars.

2. The bad ratio of them. Choice season is 120 points for a week night. If they wanted to lower that and add one more point per night per studio they would need 300 (actually I think its 360, but go with 300) they would have to take off 25 points per Bungalow per night. Now you have Bungalows at 95 a night when CCV cabins are 94, only a 1 point difference per night, and now you also have studios that are 1 point MORE than the Grand Floridian, the "Flagship" resort. I guess they could add 1 point per night to only the lake view studios to keep the Bungalows above CCV, but then they are still more than the VGF studios, which might leave a sour taste in Poly owners mouths.

But then again, I am in the camp that thinks Disney execs are laughing at the fast one they pulled with the Bungalows and frankly, just don't care.
You could make a case that Poly studios should be a point more than VGF based on size (20% bigger) and the bathroom set up.

You could make a case that Poly studios should be a point more than VGF based on size (20% bigger) and the bathroom set up.
You could, and I would not really argue against what you say. The Poly studios are nice. Poly rooms were always among the biggest on property. The do have a nice 2nd bathroom to store your luggage :)

But now you have studios that are more than your "flagship" resort, and then bungalows on the monorail loop that are basically in line with the ones at CCV. That's an imbalance in my eyes. Plus the cash rooms tend to be more at the GF (although this can be problematic because so many poly rooms were taken out of cash inventory with the conversion) but I just looked randomly at Sept 2020 and GF rooms were about 100 more than Poly.

I agree that you can make the case, and do not get me wrong, I LOVE the poly, I just think making it more than GF causes other, ancillary and logistical and PR issues. A recalc would just be another way for DVC to use the bungalows to stick it to the poly owners. It basically says, we were greedy and now you are going to have to paying more.

I dont even own at the Poly (though I woudlnt mind), and I would think poly owners were being wronged if Disney did that to them to 'correct' things

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter