Poly or Wilderness Lodge or…in spring 2023?

Jen81NYC

Mouseketeer
Hi! Last month we had our first trip to Disney and although getting there was rocky, we loved our time at the parks and the resort! We splurged for the Poly because I thought it was a “one and done” trip. But it was such a great time and Covid robbed our kids of so much that i want to go back next spring too! They’ll be 10 and 7.5 so still won’t be sullen teens/tweens.

However, my husband is understandably not enthused about spending so much money again so I’m trying to consider hotel alternatives. But we did love the Poly and MK is a key park for us. And the refurbished standard Poly rooms were so nice and relatively spacious! Any hotel recs that won’t seem like a huge Poly comedown? I was thinking maybe WL although it seems like it has small rooms? Or should we just try for Poly again because I’m averse to change? Would likely have less resort time next year, but I’d like one day of it. There’s also the new Poly DVC construction to consider of course. Also want to quickly add that we very fortunately spend a lot of summers in a log cabin upstate so the cabins at WL don’t have much appeal, haha.

Would love any input! And link to trip report below in case anyone is interested in way too much info, lol

https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...pril-15th-to-23rd-two-kids-poly-stay.3881009/

Between those two, Polynesian hands down. WL: nice place to visit, don't like staying there. Fewer transportation options, undersized pool areas for the size of the resort and rooms that don't compare.

I loved the Poly, but that was the ULTIMATE splurge. We'll go there again some time but next year we're downscaling to a moderate (figure the 3rd booking at CBR will be the charm).

If you have less resort time, I'd explore the moderate resorts. I find it hard to cost justify staying at a deluxe if I'm not able to use the amenities. My absolute favorites are the port orleans resorts, but I won't do a bus only resort until we're out of stroller land.

Many people dislike the transportation options at WL, but we love it. Taking the boat to MK is awesome for us. We have never had an issue. The buses to the other parks weren't an issue for us. I have stayed in the Boulder Ridge section (desperate for a refurb) and the Copper Creek section, so I do not have input on the recently refurbed hotel side.

The hotel has good dining options and there is lots to do when you are not in the parks. Next door Fort Wilderness has tons of stuff for the kids and adults to do. Archery, horseback riding, biking, just visiting the stables, etc. There is a hidden Mickey hunt in the hotel. Yes, the pools are "small" compared to other places, but they were more than satisfactory for us.

The geyser outside is cool and the lobby is really beautiful.

There was a boat to Contemporary that made it easy to do things on the monorail, but I don't think that has returned yet.

It's also quite a lot of money. If you are looking to actually save money, I would consider a moderate or another hotel.

Hi! Last month we had our first trip to Disney and although getting there was rocky, we loved our time at the parks and the resort! We splurged for the Poly because I thought it was a “one and done” trip. But it was such a great time and Covid robbed our kids of so much that i want to go back next spring too! They’ll be 10 and 7.5 so still won’t be sullen teens/tweens.

However, my husband is understandably not enthused about spending so much money again so I’m trying to consider hotel alternatives. But we did love the Poly and MK is a key park for us. And the refurbished standard Poly rooms were so nice and relatively spacious! Any hotel recs that won’t seem like a huge Poly comedown? I was thinking maybe WL although it seems like it has small rooms? Or should we just try for Poly again because I’m averse to change? Would likely have less resort time next year, but I’d like one day of it. There’s also the new Poly DVC construction to consider of course. Also want to quickly add that we very fortunately spend a lot of summers in a log cabin upstate so the cabins at WL don’t have much appeal, haha.

Would love any input! And link to trip report below in case anyone is interested in way too much info, lol

https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...pril-15th-to-23rd-two-kids-poly-stay.3881009/

Based on your description, I'm not convinced you will be happy at WL. The rooms are smaller than Poly's and if you already vacation in cabins in a wilderness area, I don't know if you will want similar theming for this vacation. If you want to save some money, but still stay at a deluxe, I would look at YC/BC or BWI. You will be closer to EP and DHS, but the rooms will be of a similar size and the proximity to those two parks can't be beat. If you want to save even more money, consider a moderate resort - the Gran Destino Tower at CSR is gorgeous and is as close as you will get to a deluxe resort at mod prices. You do lose the proximity to park there, however. Sometime we book a mod and use the savings to uber/lyft to the parks (except for MK).

Based on your description, I'm not convinced you will be happy at WL. The rooms are smaller than Poly's and if you already vacation in cabins in a wilderness area, I don't know if you will want similar theming for this vacation. If you want to save some money, but still stay at a deluxe, I would look at YC/BC or BWI. You will be closer to EP and DHS, but the rooms will be of a similar size and the proximity to those two parks can't be beat. If you want to save even more money, consider a moderate resort - the Gran Destino Tower at CSR is gorgeous and is as close as you will get to a deluxe resort at mod prices. You do lose the proximity to park there, however. Sometime we book a mod and use the savings to uber/lyft to the parks (except for MK).
Thanks so much! I’m new to this so I have to brush up on moderates. I know the difference between values and deluxe but am fuzzy on the middle tier.

In 2019, we splurged and stayed and Grand Floridian. It was the first time we had been since 1995. Lovely place and good restaurants. But when you put the pencil to it, and realize that you're paying double or more what you pay at Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans, or Old Key West, you stop and think. In 2020 & 2021 we chose Caribbean Beach because of the SkyLiner. We'll be there again this October. The rooms are not that much smaller than the GF, and the beds are just as comfortable.

First thing, think of how much time you actually SPEND in your room and what you do when there. For us, we sleep and shower there, but not much more. After lunch, we may come back to the room for a snooze and then park hop in the late afternoon/evening. If you're staying in your room, that's time you're not in the parks or dining at other locations. For us, it didn't make economic sense.

In 2019, we splurged and stayed and Grand Floridian. It was the first time we had been since 1995. Lovely place and good restaurants. But when you put the pencil to it, and realize that you're paying double or more what you pay at Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans, or Old Key West, you stop and think. In 2020 & 2021 we chose Caribbean Beach because of the SkyLiner. We'll be there again this October. The rooms are not that much smaller than the GF, and the beds are just as comfortable.

First thing, think of how much time you actually SPEND in your room and what you do when there. For us, we sleep and shower there, but not much more. After lunch, we may come back to the room for a snooze and then park hop in the late afternoon/evening. If you're staying in your room, that's time you're not in the parks or dining at other locations. For us, it didn't make economic sense.
I’ve been planning a 2023 trip seemingly since 1995 lol. So far I’ve been planning for a deluxe as I feel like the extra hours at the parks would be handy since I have young kids and it would be nice to be able to do a mid-day break/ nap and then go back after dinner or something. However, lately I’ve been asking myself if the extra hour or whatever is really worth the extra expense and am strongly considering CBR.

I’ve been planning a 2023 trip seemingly since 1995 lol. So far I’ve been planning for a deluxe as I feel like the extra hours at the parks would be handy since I have young kids and it would be nice to be able to do a mid-day break/ nap and then go back after dinner or something. However, lately I’ve been asking myself if the extra hour or whatever is really worth the extra expense and am strongly considering CBR.
I will freely admit that the convenience of the monorail at the Poly, GF, or Contemporary is handy as can be if you plan to spend much of your time in the Magic Kingdom. However, that advantage goes away when you go to AK, EPCOT, or Hollywood. You ride the bus, or in the case of EPCOT, the monorail with the TTC switch. At CBR, you have Hollywood and Epcot reachable on the Sky Liner.

I will freely admit that the convenience of the monorail at the Poly, GF, or Contemporary is handy as can be if you plan to spend much of your time in the Magic Kingdom. However, that advantage goes away when you go to AK, EPCOT, or Hollywood. You ride the bus, or in the case of EPCOT, the monorail with the TTC switch. At CBR, you have Hollywood and Epcot reachable on the Sky Liner.
My only real concern about the skyliner is I’m not sure my six year old could use it without freaking out. The others would be fine but he’s squeamish.

My only real concern about the skyliner is I’m not sure my six year old could use it without freaking out. The others would be fine but he’s squeamish.
You might have the youngster watch a you tube video of riding the skyliner to get him used to it.

Depending on how long you’ll be staying, you might consider a split stay. Half at Poly & the other half at a moderate or less expensive deluxe. Bell services will transfer your luggage to your next resort, so it’s easy to change. We love to split our stays between the MK resorts & Epcot resorts.
I agree that you’d more than likely to be disappointed with Wilderness as the rooms seem much smaller. Let us know what you decide!

We've stayed at both. The Poly was nice, but Wilderness is amazing.
Poly has the monorail to MK, bus for everything else.
Wilderness has a boat to MK and bus for everything else.
Wilderness has Geyser Point Lounge and Poly has Trader Sams.
Not a fan of Ohana so that doesn't sway us to the Poly.

I'm back with a last ditch effort to defend the honor or WL. I suggest you watch some resort tours on YouTube and compare the 2. Yes, the rooms are smaller. As stated above, depends on how much you use the room. The resort is fabulous. So is Poly. It depends on your style and also food preferences if you tend to eat a lot at your hotel.

There are a ton of YouTube videos that do whole resort tours and also room tours. Check em out!

I've stayed at both but WL has my vote. I absouletly love this resort. The grounds are beautiful and tranquil. The boat to MK was great. If I'm not staying at an Epcot resort I am at the WL.

Thanks so much! I’m new to this so I have to brush up on moderates. I know the difference between values and deluxe but am fuzzy on the middle tier.
I've stayed at all 3 levels and I stay at them for different reasons.
Values, if I just want to sleep/shower or if I have a short trip. Main thing about values is there is no table service restaurants and no lounges
Moderates- most have table service (except French quarter) and a lounge.
Deluxe- table service restaurants, interior entrance with a balcony or patio (the exceptions being second floor Polynesian and those Juliet balconies at beach club).

We ate at Toledo at Gran Destino Tower and that resort is on our list of places to stay once we're out of stroller land.

I've stayed at both but WL has my vote. I absouletly love this resort. The grounds are beautiful and tranquil. The boat to MK was great. If I'm not staying at an Epcot resort I am at the WL.
I’ve watched some videos but curious to hear more about what you like about it! Can you see fireworks from it?
I did like the Poly grounds a lot so genuinely curious if there’s anything in the WL grounds you particularly like. I’m assuming 2023 packages are opening up soon so trying to decide now so I’m ready when they become available!

For those who are WL fans/experts, is there a sofa bed option in standard room like at Poly? I don’t see it in the ones I’ve looked at so maybe that’s the deciding factor, unfortunately. My kids don’t do well sharing a bed 😬 When we stayed at the Poly, one kid was on 2nd queen bed and other kid was on pullout and it worked well.

Unpopular opinion here but I found the main property on Poly to be really crowded and noisy. WL is peaceful and serene. It depends on what you are looking for. You may also want to consider renting DVC points instead.

I second the split stay idea with an Epcot resort. BC is our second home.

Im a WL lover. I like the smaller, enclosed feeling, no walking outside needed ,. It is what keeps me from the other deluxes, I don't like all those buildings. I also enjoy the boat to MK and the buses aren't too bad. If Im in a hurry, uber works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter