Pop Century Legendary Years - 03/2007 & Updated 06/2008!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmmm, haven't been to the Pop in about 4 yrs. Is there anything new or changed that I need to know about? I guess I don't need to know, just curious b/c we're returning in Aug and I find it fascinating that these are just sitting there.

how sad they havent finished it. if the legendary years at pop were ever built i would must defenetely have loved to stay there! so would most of my family members. in matter of fact when we found out that pop would be build years ago, we were looking forward to the legendary years,

We were at POP in December, could see no sign of work on the other side - looked totally abandoned.

It was depressing to see it, I was glad we didn't have a view of it from our room.

No posts in a while, my aunt is currently on a DCL cruise now and I can't wait to tell her to check out POP LY. I will try and have her check out what has been going on lately as she will be staying at pop for 4 days after. More soon!:)

We were at POP in December, could see no sign of work on the other side - looked totally abandoned.

It was depressing to see it, I was glad we didn't have a view of it from our room.
The last time we went our room had a view of those buildings, and yes, they are depressing! :guilty: :sad2: Wonder if Disney ever thinks about how the guests feel looking at them. I kinda felt like I was staring at a building after a great holocaust and everyone had died! :scared1:Just too spooky looking to me.:eek:

In fact.. nothing is currently happening on the other side.

Apparently there WAS a plan to start work this spring.. but the economy and other priorities derailed the plan...

Either that or Jim Hill was just wrong again. Seriously, I think people at Disney are feeding him wrong information just to make him look bad.

I say that because if he were just guessing and making stuff up.. he'd be right at least *some* of the time. :)

I tease.. I tease. Jim's predictions have had a rough couple of years but I blame economic factors and not necessarily his sources. ;)

I notice this thread is from 2007, but is there anything new regarding that abandoned building, or has disney left it like this in 2010?

wow. I don't think that it is the Disney way to abandon buildings!

how sad that they have not even teared down the unfinished part of pop century or even teared down river country.

i never went to river country only to typhoon lagoon and blizzard beach when I was a kid

lol, I'm wondering too about the building just because I am staying there in june. I hope I don't get a lake view overlooking the abandoned building!

Its mostly shrouded by bushes and trees.

It's really not as bad as some would insist. Is it ideal? No.

Does it ever ruin my stays at Pop? Ha.. no.

Just an update: I was there yesterday and no activity or any changes across the lake at LY.

wow, no activity... I was hoping the building would be either gone or not there anymore.

thanks for the update!

We were there last week, we were in the 50's bldg 3 on the 4th floor. We saw them as soon as we walked out our door. Nothing looks like it's changed since the 2007 pics were posted. It wasn't bad though, we still had Epcot to look at and at night we had a nice view of the fireworks. So its just a little give and take there I guess :)

Just an update: I was there yesterday and no activity or any changes across the lake at LY.

We were there last week, we were in the 50's bldg 3 on the 4th floor. We saw them as soon as we walked out our door. Nothing looks like it's changed since the 2007 pics were posted. It wasn't bad though, we still had Epcot to look at and at night we had a nice view of the fireworks. So its just a little give and take there I guess :)

Did either of you notice any additional buildings undergoing the refurb work?

how sad that they have not even teared down the unfinished part of pop century or even teared down river country.

i never went to river country only to typhoon lagoon and blizzard beach when I was a kid

I respectfully disagree. There is another similar comment worrying that it will ruin their vacation seeing these abandoned buildings.
I disagree with that one as well.

The unfinished years simply add mystique and reality to your stay. Personally I have always HOPED for a view of these. I never got it. Instead I was always presented with a cheerful happy view of a hot parking lot full of boring earth-toned cars and SUVs. On our most recent stay, I had partial view of the buildings and I LOVED the view!!! I took countless pictures across the lake. I would just stand there and stare at them. They seem to invite you to just stare. They look mysterious and cool. In a "world" where everything seems perfect (Disney World), these seem to say "Look, we are different. We're not finished. We're mysterious." If I had to choose between a forced view and a view of these unfinished buildings, I'd probably go with the buildings.
When this thread was at its height, I had these buildings as my computer backdrop for months. I just think they look cool.
Besides, there would be no practical benefit of tearing them down. Seriously. What would the view be replaced with? Woods. Woods aren't nearly as exciting as dead buildings. In economical terms there would be no use in tearing them down. As they sit they can be used for storage. If they decide to tear them down later on TO IMMEDIATELY REPLACE THEM WITH NEWER BUILDINGS, then thats different. But once they are torn down, all options of future use are gone. All the money spent is wasted, and all the effort in vain. If they sit there for 10 more years and are later transformed into something cool the money and effort are justified.
We all have opinions. Thats mine.

My husband and I are going in less than 2 months and I am HOPING to get a room in the 50's with a view of the buildings and EPCOT!! I have read through this entire thread throughout the day and it has made me even MORE excited about our first stay at POP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter