Pop Century Room Renovations

:) I've been trying to track it. So far here is what I've been able to put together

Building 8, 90's, started renovation on 6 March, opened on 5 May (~renovation time 94 days)
Building 9, 80's, started renovation early May, scheduled to open 24 July (~renovation time 80 days)
Building 7, 80's, started renovation early June, scheduled to open 14 August (~renovation time 70 days)

No other buildings have been started but guestimating building 10 will be next and should be started in the need week or two, with building 6 being 4-6 weeks behind it.

It appears that they are getting faster as they get more familar with what they need to do.

I am guessing that by the end of October they will be finished with 10 and 6 (the 70's buildings) and will be working on 4 and 5.
I hope so because I want to be in 70's pref building 6 for Nov/Dec trip.

DH and I are going to be at POP in September. We requested renovated room, but if it doesn't happen I won't be devastated. Question is, what buildings/sections should I be looking to avoid if I don't want to be anywhere near construction? I have a feeling I may be calling Guest Services on check-in day because I rarely seem to get my requests!

Well, here is to hoping that they get some preffered rooms refurbed by October 1st.

I really like the look of them, especially the bathroom area and having the wood laminate is so much better than carpet.

They have to keep bus service at some level. Gondolas for example wont run if wind is a certain level. Or storms.

I'm surprised that there is so much negative feedback on new transportation like the gondola and Minnie car.
Isn't more options of travel in park a good thing?

I honestly haven't seen a lot of negative feedback (maybe I'm not looking in the right place). But as others have said, there is a concern that the price will go up (even those AoA and PoP Are already more expensive than the other "Value" options. There is also the concern over ground transportation (other than the Minnie Van) going away. I'm almost 100% that bus transportation will continue. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if ACV and Wheelcheers were NOT allowed on the Gondola due to size / weight restrictions.

DH and I are going to be at POP in September. We requested renovated room, but if it doesn't happen I won't be devastated. Question is, what buildings/sections should I be looking to avoid if I don't want to be anywhere near construction? I have a feeling I may be calling Guest Services on check-in day because I rarely seem to get my requests!

Based on what has been reported here (3rd hand) both building 9 and 7 (along with 8 already open) should be open by then and renovations should be underway in bldg 10 and 6 while you are there. To be as far away from construction as possible, you will want to be on one of the ends, bldg 8 (90's) (renovated) or bldgs 1-3 (50's) (unrennovated). bldgs 4 and 9 should probably be ok as well, but the other two are going to be right next to the buildings under renovation.

I know this is total speculation, but I'd love some opinions.

I am going to be at Pop October 22-25. I want a refurbished room, however I really love preferred room locations. Should I book a standard room or a preferred room? I'm not sure what will be ready by late October. I think refurbished wins over location right now, but I really want both of course!

They have to keep bus service at some level. Gondolas for example wont run if wind is a certain level. Or storms.

These systems are used all over the world for transportation. According to people who live in those cities/areas as well as people who are involved with this industry/very knowledgeable about the industry, the systems rarely need to be shut down due to weather. They have been used for years (decades actually) in ski resorts where wind is a constant presence as well as tropical areas where storms are common occurrences. I think they will run through worse weather than most of us are imagining (or hoping). If they need to shut down, they will most likely just start up bus service the same way they do when the monorail goes down.

I honestly haven't seen a lot of negative feedback (maybe I'm not looking in the right place). But as others have said, there is a concern that the price will go up (even those AoA and PoP Are already more expensive than the other "Value" options. There is also the concern over ground transportation (other than the Minnie Van) going away. I'm almost 100% that bus transportation will continue. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if ACV and Wheelcheers were NOT allowed on the Gondola due to size / weight restrictions.

Both industry experts and Disney insiders (who have been correct with every bit of information they've provided/confirmed about this system for the last 6 months) say ECV's & wheelchairs will use this system. There are many Youtube videos of people in wheel chairs, strollers, etc. loading on to these types of gondolas. There will be a weight limit per car, so a car with an ECV is probably only going to have 1 or 2 other people in it rather than 8-10. The cars slow down dramatically in the loading area and can be "pulled aside" if additional time is needed for loading. Every Disney insider familiar with this project has said this system will replace buses to these 2 parks from the 4 resorts it services.

I know this is total speculation, but I'd love some opinions.

I am going to be at Pop October 22-25. I want a refurbished room, however I really love preferred room locations. Should I book a standard room or a preferred room? I'm not sure what will be ready by late October. I think refurbished wins over location right now, but I really want both of course!

I think if you book preferred, you'd only have a shot at the 70's. But if preferred is important as well, then go for it!

So much to consider, I suppose I shouldn't really worry about where our room is. We won't really be around much during the day so noise shouldn't be an issue. I do hate having to detour around construction areas when walking around the property.

I feel like everyone that will be there over the next few months will be requesting the same thing, renovated or away from construction!

So much to consider, I suppose I shouldn't really worry about where our room is. We won't really be around much during the day so noise shouldn't be an issue. I do hate having to detour around construction areas when walking around the property.

I feel like everyone that will be there over the next few months will be requesting the same thing, renovated or away from construction!

You'll be surprised how many people will show up and not know there's construction going on. Us here on the DIS are a very, very small percentage of overall guests. So don't worry about everyone requesting the same thing.

You'll be surprised how many people will show up and not know there's construction going on. Us here on the DIS are a very, very small percentage of overall guests. So don't worry about everyone requesting the same thing.

With so much great info on the boards, I just assume everyone who goes to Disney uses them! Glad to hear that's not true, otherwise some of the amazing suggestions wouldn't work as well. Thanks!

With so much great info on the boards, I just assume everyone who goes to Disney uses them! Glad to hear that's not true, otherwise some of the amazing suggestions wouldn't work as well. Thanks!

You would think, but that's not reality.

These systems are used all over the world for transportation. According to people who live in those cities/areas as well as people who are involved with this industry/very knowledgeable about the industry, the systems rarely need to be shut down due to weather. They have been used for years (decades actually) in ski resorts where wind is a constant presence as well as tropical areas where storms are common occurrences. I think they will run through worse weather than most of us are imagining (or hoping). If they need to shut down, they will most likely just start up bus service the same way they do when the monorail goes down.

One of the big difference with Gondola's at ski resorts is that they point to point cars that are FIXED to the cable. In order for a Gondola to work in this setting it is going to have to be like the old Skyride type vehicles that are not "permanently" attached to the cable, but rather cars that come off of the cable onto a track (maybe multiple tracks) in order to unload/load at a speed slower than the cable. Seeing as how the cars aren't semi-permanently attached to the cable, wind is definitely going to have to be a consideration.

Both industry experts and Disney insiders (who have been correct with every bit of information they've provided/confirmed about this system for the last 6 months) say ECV's & wheelchairs will use this system. There are many Youtube videos of people in wheel chairs, strollers, etc. loading on to these types of gondolas. There will be a weight limit per car, so a car with an ECV is probably only going to have 1 or 2 other people in it rather than 8-10. The cars slow down dramatically in the loading area and can be "pulled aside" if additional time is needed for loading. Every Disney insider familiar with this project has said this system will replace buses to these 2 parks from the 4 resorts it services.

Understood. Based on the conceptual drawings the gondolas would only hold 6 maybe 8 people. Not even sure if an ECV would fit. Maybe they will be bigger than the conceptual drawings. Also, what about people with a fear of heights? Fear of heights may be protected as a disability under the ADA and as such Disney may have to arrange alternate transportation for them.

Don't get me wrong, I love the gondola idea and am looking forward to it. I actually envision a system where someone can go from Pop to Epcot without ever getting out of their Gondola, routing cars around the loading/unloading station at each of the nodes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter