Pop Century Room Renovations

We are staying at POP in Dec, hoping for a refurb room away from construction, would the 80's bldg be our best bet?

Your best bet would be to request "refurbished room" and "away from construction".

Any idea when the skyliner will be up and running, couldn't find anything on a projected date?

I have heard fall of 2018. But nothing announced.

Well, after yesterday's announcement about Great Movie Ride closing on August 13, I ended up booking an impromptu solo trip for August 1 to ride it one last time. I decided to stay at Pop in a preferred room in hopes of getting one of the refurbished rooms. I requested 90's section. Any ideas on if there's anything else I can/should request online to help me get a refurbished room? Are they only on certain floors or anything like that?

Well, after yesterday's announcement about Great Movie Ride closing on August 13, I ended up booking an impromptu solo trip for August 1 to ride it one last time. I decided to stay at Pop in a preferred room in hopes of getting one of the refurbished rooms. I requested 90's section. Any ideas on if there's anything else I can/should request online to help me get a refurbished room? Are they only on certain floors or anything like that?

Preferred rooms are in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. There are no preferred rooms in the 90's. No preferred rooms will be ready for August 1st. You better change your reservation to a standard room if you want a chance at a refurbished room.

Preferred rooms are in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. There are no preferred rooms in the 90's. No preferred rooms will be ready for August 1st. You better change your reservation to a standard room if you want a chance at a refurbished room.
Ugh. Thanks. I appreciate it. Off to call Disney...

Do you think if I fax Pop myself and tell them I want a refurbed room I would be more likely to get it?

Does anyone know if they added more connecting rooms with the renovation?

I haven't heard anything about there being more connecting rooms added. While the renovations going on are major, they aren't really making any structural changes. Adding a door between rooms would be a major project. Half of all the rooms at Pop are already connecting rooms -- which I think is the highest percentage of rooms at any Disney resort -- so I'd be surprised (though not opposed) if they added more.

I booked a preferred room months ago, I called a few days ago to switch to standard hoping for a refurbed room and was told that there are no standard view rooms available at all. Our trip is 9/10 - 9/16. I changed my requests anyway for a refurbished room making it my first priority, knowing that no preferred rooms will be ready by September. Think I have a chance?

I'm going for the first time to Pop Century. What are my chances of getting a King Bed? Do they have any?

Yes. The are some King rooms on every floor of every building.

The standard buildings (bldgs. 2, 4, 6, 8, & 9) don't have king rooms on the 4th floor. That seems to be the default location for us when we request connecting rooms at Pop. We've been on the 4th floor of one of those buildings (2, 6, & 9 for us) every time we've stayed there and while one of our connecting rooms has always been in the position of the King rooms on the lower floors (according to the diagrams), it's not a king room on the 4th floor.

The standard buildings (bldgs. 2, 4, 6, 8, & 9) don't have king rooms on the 4th floor. That seems to be the default location for us when we request connecting rooms at Pop. We've been on the 4th floor of one of those buildings (2, 6, & 9 for us) every time we've stayed there and while one of our connecting rooms has always been in the position of the King rooms on the lower floors (according to the diagrams), it's not a king room on the 4th floor.

I know my parents have had a king room on the 4th floor in buildings 2, 4 and 9. None of them had a connecting door.

I booked a preferred room months ago, I called a few days ago to switch to standard hoping for a refurbed room and was told that there are no standard view rooms available at all. Our trip is 9/10 - 9/16. I changed my requests anyway for a refurbished room making it my first priority, knowing that no preferred rooms will be ready by September. Think I have a chance?
Probably not. The next building they will most likely start on, building 10 will have some preferred rooms, but it will definitely not be ready for your trip. I will be there 9/5-12, and was hoping for that building, but it's not going to happen (I have a standard reservation, though).

I know my parents have had a king room on the 4th floor in buildings 2, 4 and 9. None of them had a connecting door.

I guess they must have converted some standard (non-connecting) rooms to kings and not updated their room layout diagrams (or the updated diagrams just haven't found their way to the internet). We were in 4th floor connecting rooms 50/51 in 2 buildings and 02/03 in the other one and those -- while rooms 03 and 51 show as king rooms on the layout diagram for floors 1-3, they definitely weren't on the 4th floor...at least in our case. I wouldn't be surprised if they added more king rooms somewhere along the line (or maybe they were always there and just never captured on the layout diagram) since I know they get a lot of requests for "non-accessible" kings and just don't have enough to go around. Slightly off topic, but I'd love to have a king/2 queen connecting room bookable category at Pop.

Last edited:
We are going in early November. Based on the current progress (and assuming they continue progressing south to north ish), which buildings do we think will be renovated by early November?

We are going in early November. Based on the current progress (and assuming they continue progressing south to north ish), which buildings do we think will be renovated by early November?

I predict the 70's/80's /90's will be done and they will be working on the 60's.

Fingers crossed that this time next week we have people checking into the 80's rooms finally!!!! and shortly to follow news that the first building in the 70's is under way - I keep telling myself until we get to October I shouldn't be so worried for my December trip as anything can happen but I just can't help it!:rolleyes1

Check in 8/26. Standard Pool view. Only thing I requested on online check in was 80's and TA called and put in a request of a refurb room. Will see what we end up with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter