POR 45 mins no MK bus

We were at POR last week and on our first day, we checked in and went to the south Depot to catch a bus to AK for the last 2 hrs of the day. There was a back up of buses, 4 showed up at the same time, the AK bus was in the rear, then the AK bus left, without even getting close to the depot, it was out in the middle of the lane behind all the buses, looking like he was waiting for the others to leave to do his pickup. We went over to the front stand and asked if they could call the driver back around. They said they couldn't do that, but gave us a voucher to pay for a taxi to AK. They were great about helping. Other than that we had great bus service at POR. So sorry this happened to you!

And this was at POR? If so I'll definitely take note for my 7:30am res.
The last time was at POR Nov 2013. We never asked for them to pay for it, just that we were concerned about making it on time and would like to have a taxi in the morning.

So many people on these boards say this, but boy oh boy I just do not understand it. I will never understand how taking mass transit is more relaxing than driving around a relatively deserted area like WDW. I will never understand how waiting 20 minutes for a bus is relaxing. I will certainly never understand how anyone could think it is better to stand out in the heat at the end of a long day at the parks, being jostled by the crowds, being slowed down by the line cutters, waiting for the third bus to come because the ECVs and their parties filled up the first two, instead of heading right to a private car where the A/C can be run full blast and there is a little cooler with drinks and snacks waiting.

I can easily see why being chauffeured around is better than driving, but not a bus, and especially not a bus at WDW. But I'm glad people feel this way, because the more people there are standing around bus stops waiting to cram into a fetid tube with 50 other sweaty people, the fewer there are on the roads. As long as there is no traffic, driving is still vacation to me.

I completely agree. I don't understand the whole Disney bubble argument either but... different strokes.

So many people on these boards say this, but boy oh boy I just do not understand it. I will never understand how taking mass transit is more relaxing than driving around a relatively deserted area like WDW. I will never understand how waiting 20 minutes for a bus is relaxing. I will certainly never understand how anyone could think it is better to stand out in the heat at the end of a long day at the parks, being jostled by the crowds, being slowed down by the line cutters, waiting for the third bus to come because the ECVs and their parties filled up the first two, instead of heading right to a private car where the A/C can be run full blast and there is a little cooler with drinks and snacks waiting.

I can easily see why being chauffeured around is better than driving, but not a bus, and especially not a bus at WDW. But I'm glad people feel this way, because the more people there are standing around bus stops waiting to cram into a fetid tube with 50 other sweaty people, the fewer there are on the roads. As long as there is no traffic, driving is still vacation to me.

I feel the same way. The only time we took the bus the last time we went was the day we went to Epcot since we knew we'd be drinking there. We had our own car and it was just so quick and easy for us to drive to the parks.

What is a voucher for a taxi? Did they deduct the amount from your bill?
We got one once when we stayed at AKL and had the concierge help us rearrange our Le Cellier ADR and put the kids in Simba's Club after they were too tired to last all day at Epcot.

It was basically just a piece of paper, like an old carbon credit card slip, that the concierge hand wrote "one trip AKL-Epcot" on with his signature. He called us the cab, we gave the driver our slip, and he took us there with no issues. We still tipped him and it was one of the best nights we had that trip. :)

Ok, I'll ask...what's an Uber?

It's a car share service. You order a car through an app, it charges you electronically (you pay through the app and it includes tip) and it's generally cheaper than a taxi. But it's a car share service and not a taxi service, so the same licensing and insurance requirements do not apply to Uber currently.

OP, sorry that happened to you. Was it chaos when the MK bus finally showed? That's one of the drawbacks to the lack of a formal line at the moderate and deluxe bus stops. The MK bus was a no show at CBR for us last year, and the crowd grew so large that people had to wait in the parking lot BEHIND the bus depot. When the MK bus DID pull up, there was lots of pushing and shoving and the people who strolled up later waltzed right on the bus. It was ugly.

After reading these experiences, I'm now curious as to how the buses operate. How are they dispatched? What are the routes? Why aren't there drivers assigned to a continuous loop between park and resort? Obviously there's a method to their madness, but if city buses can be punctual, you'd think Disney buses could operate in a similar manner.

Glad people like you keep the busses less crowded :P

I find driving stressful. I drive an hour and a half to work each day. Waiting for the bus is relaxing. Being driven around is relaxing. Renting a car, parking in a huge lot, finding a spot, finding my rental, and driving on unfamiliar roads are all unpleasant to me. After a long day, I would much rather someone do the work of driving for me.

8 dollars sounds like a steal, especially if you aren't a resort guest. I'd like to try this with the CR next trip. Has anyone used Uber successfully to be both dropped off AND picked up at CR?

So it was $8.18 from the Swan to Animal Kingdom. If you are not staying on-property you would have to pay the $15 parking fee (we just held up our keycard).

I don't see why you couldn't take it to/from CR. It cost us $40 from the Swan to MCO to put it into perspective - beats Mears shared shuttle any day, especially for 2 people! (Unfortunately, you can't be picked up from the airport via Uber - it's illegal).

We love the Riverside. If we have a complaint at all, it's the bus transportation. I'm hoping it will be better next month with the new magic plus features..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter