Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Two [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We checked in yesterday. The online check in line was pretty long but so was the regular check in. Many people seemed to have a lot of questions about the gray magic bands they were being given. We were upgraded from a standard royal room to a garden view. The view is of an inner courtyard in Paterre Place which is not a particularly great view (not a parking lot though) but it is very close to the footbridge to the lobby and food court which is exactly what I wanted. We are on the first floor. I requested a higher floor but it's fine. The royal rooms are nice but I find it just a tad dark, possibly because our room faces an inner courtyard. We did not have a refrigerator when we checked in so I asked about one because our daughter was diagnosed with a sinus infection last week and is on an antibiotic that needs to be refrigerated. One was delivered to our room. Although I had heard they don't have freezers in them, our does have a tiny freezer section in it. Our magic bands have worked flawlessly. No problems at all.

Off to Animal Kingdom today! We walked our legs off at Epcot yesterday!

Headed to POR 10/12-10/16 and trying to figure out where to request a room. Booked in a garden view. It's my mom (64), me and DS6 and DD8. This is their first trip to disney. The hitch is that my mom had unexpected knee surgery last week. Hoping she can manage the parks, but I hate for her to have to trek all over the resort after a long day at the parks.

Any suggestions on a location to request? We will do the pool at least one day. We have ADRs for dinners and will likely eat lunch in the parks so we would likely only hit the food court once a day if even that.

TIA!

Wow, I was a little freaked when I saw your screen name because I'm also awalker!!! LMAO

I was really hoping to be able to choose a particular building number this morning, or even just AB or MB when doing online check in (60 days today!!!), but the only options I'm seeing are corner room, highest floor, second floor, and ground floor. I have connecting room already checked and can not un-check this. I requested this when I made my initial reservation. Just wondering if POR doesn't offer specific building requests through online check in or if it's just my reservation for some reason because of the connecting room. I'm also not seeing any amenity requests. :confused3

Okay, I'm very sure that with some scouring I could find the answers I am looking for but asking is easier! First, we are 61ish days out (can't find the countdown on DME anymore, what the heck?), when/can I do magic bands and FP+ ordering? Are they offering it into November yet? Thank you!

Okay, I'm very sure that with some scouring I could find the answers I am looking for but asking is easier! First, we are 61ish days out (can't find the countdown on DME anymore, what the heck?), when/can I do magic bands and FP+ ordering? Are they offering it into November yet? Thank you!

I'm doing a split stay at BW & POR beginning Nov 1-10. I'm checked in to both resorts with APs linked to MDE account. I don't have the option to customize MB or make FP+ reservations yet.

I read somewhere that Disney has been announcing further testing around the 20th of the month. So I'm hoping in another five days or so those options will become available.

In the meantime, I'll continue to check it until I leave or until the options are there--whichever comes first.

I was really hoping to be able to choose a particular building number this morning, or even just AB or MB when doing online check in (60 days today!!!), but the only options I'm seeing are corner room, highest floor, second floor, and ground floor. I have connecting room already checked and can not un-check this. I requested this when I made my initial reservation. Just wondering if POR doesn't offer specific building requests through online check in or if it's just my reservation for some reason because of the connecting room. I'm also not seeing any amenity requests. :confused3

They do not offer specific requests through online checkin, only the ones that you saw. If you have specific requests you should send in a fax stating what those are about 5-7 days before you check in.

I've never been able to choose a building at any resort during online checkin.

As the previous poster mentioned, you can send a fax. The template's link is in the first post of this thread, and as far as I know it's something only the Port Orleans resorts still allow, which is pretty cool. :goodvibes

I was really hoping to be able to choose a particular building number this morning, or even just AB or MB when doing online check in (60 days today!!!)

There are currently no options for more detailed requests in the Online Checkin form for Port Orleans. When the features were first added, the complexity of the ten different booking categories, and their location-specific nature, made it impossible to add a number of popular requests. However I gather that the limitations have now been overcome, and I believe that we may soon see some new options (such as at least AB vs. mansion buildings). In the meantime, just make sure that your requests are included on your reservation by calling the Disney Reservations Center.

First, we are 61ish days out (can't find the countdown on DME anymore, what the heck?), when/can I do magic bands and FP+ ordering? Are they offering it into November yet?

Nothing has been added to the system for November as yet, but the current expectation is that new dates will be added soon, but no one knows when. There has been a timetable leaked with shows that by the end of October all of the on-site resorts will be issuing Magic Bands, so whether or not it is still technically a 'test' it will be very widespread by then.

Andre

Too bad you can't do both! But isn't Thanksgiving less crowded with better weather? We usually go near Christmas - not at (this was in 2009 I think) and the water on the lakes near POR were frozen on top!!! Froze my you know what and kept thinking - isn't Florida orange country and supposed to be warm!:rotfl2:

If you have done Christmas, why not think about Thanksgiving - Gobble, Gobble.....either way, have fun!

wdwmom0f3 is debating whether or not to decorate her room window for Thanksgiving or Christmas because she's going the week of Thanksgiving.

There are currently no options for more detailed requests in the Online Checkin form for Port Orleans. When the features were first added, the complexity of the ten different booking categories, and their location-specific nature, made it impossible to add a number of popular requests. However I gather that the limitations have now been overcome, and I believe that we may soon see some new options (such as at least AB vs. mansion buildings). In the meantime, just make sure that your requests are included on your reservation by calling the Disney Reservations Center.

Thank you Andre! Would love to see the AB and Mansion Building options. Fingers crossed! I'll call and add my requests now and then later send a fax 3-5 days prior to our arrival.

Also I LOVE your site, I used it when planning a trip back in 2010 for me and DH and again now for our DD's first trip! Thank you so much for providing so much information about these two amazing Disney Resorts!

Thanks to everyone else who also replied! Much appreciated!

If I have booked a standard view royal room can I ask for an upgrade to river view for free on my room requests? Anybody ask for a better view but book standard?

For those who would like to know...we just got back from our magical stay at POR Acadian House Mansions (upgraded to garden view), and we did not have a working fridge there...we don't really use one when we stay, so it was no big deal for us.

If I have booked a standard view royal room can I ask for an upgrade to river view for free on my room requests? Anybody ask for a better view but book standard?

Well you can ask, sure. Someone might even help you out if your luck is in.

You could also ask in the restaurant where you have just paid for a cheeseburger if they could maybe bring you the Filet Mignon instead...

Andre

Well you can ask, sure. Someone might even help you out if your luck is in.

You could also ask in the restaurant where you have just paid for a cheeseburger if they could maybe bring you the Filet Mignon instead...

Andre

Nice! No need to be rude about it. I have heard of many people getting free room upgrades. I have been to WDW almost every year since 1998. I am sure that I have more than paid Disney for anything they would upgrade me for free at this point.

hunter1722 said:
Nice! No need to be rude about it. I have heard of many people getting free room upgrades. I have been to WDW almost every year since 1998. I am sure that I have more than paid Disney for anything they would upgrade me for free at this point.

Andre wasn't being rude. He was simply pointing out the logical fallacy associated with your statement; disagreement does not equal rudeness.

And no, you haven't more than paid for an upgrade. You have paid for exactly what you ordered from them.

Stacy

Nice! No need to be rude about it.

Not being rude at all, just my British sense of humour - you'll get used to it. :)

But seriously, I'm not quite sure what the real difference is when you ask those same two questions 'cold'. I suspect you are much more likely to succeed if you ask in your fax for something more nebulous like "a pleasant view if possible, ideally close for the bridge to the main buildings - maybe able to see something of the river area?". Otherwise it comes over just like my (OK, maybe a tad sarcastic :) ) previous question, which is basically asking for something for nothing.

Or to use a cliché, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...

Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter