Possibly Unpopular Opinion-Room requests (don't do it)

Our next stay is at POR and all I really want is to request ground floor due to having a stroller and no elevators!
There are elevators in some buildings at POR. We had a royal room a while back and there were elevators in that building (I messed up my foot on that trip, so we used them more than usual).

I made my first room request at HHI. We wanted to be near the pool. And we got a great room overlooking the pool, near the drink re-fill. I know being near the pool can be a pain, but with little ones, it's quick!

I used to request a room, but now I just make sure I have a very respectful, friendly conversation at the front desk if I don't like the assigned room. The last time, I was reassigned to a one bedroom club level that was going for over two thousand a night....so yeah, magic can happen for sure!

Our upcoming trip at POR, both DH and I will be using a scooter, and since we purposely booked a 5th sleeper room to guarantee we'll be in the AB section, we definitely need a first floor room.

Funny story, back in 2013 we requested 1 thing, adjoining rooms at POR because we'd be sharing food etc. Got to our rooms and they weren't adjoining/connecting so we walked back to the front desk and inquired. She said "why did they do that? There are lots of adjoining/connecting rooms available!" 🤦‍♀️ So I truly believe it depends on the person assigning the rooms.

Last edited:
I always book standard and the only request I make is early arrival. I really don't care about view unless I'm staying at a deluxe with a balcony or location. I'm 66 years old and most of the time, I'm there solo. I'm capable of walking from the furthest room at every resort so it's no big deal where they put me. As far as early arrival, I think I may get it 3 out of 10 times. I usually get there between 1 and 2 so I'm o.k. with the room not being ready. If I'm staying in a value or moderate, I will ask which building it will be so I can park my car there. I just head on out to Epcot if my room isn't ready and leave my stuff in my car. I have been upgraded a few times thru the years but have never asked for it and have never asked for a different room then I've been assigned. I've even had the room at Dolphin with the view of the roof and ACs twice.

Our upcoming trip at POR, both DH and I will be using a scooter, and since we purposely booked a 5th sleeper room to guarantee we'll be in the AB section, we definitely need a first floor room.

Funny story, back in 2013 we requested 1 thing, adjoining rooms at POR because we'd be sharing food etc. Got to our rooms and they weren't adjoining/connecting so we walked back to the front desk and inquired. She said "why did they do that? There are lots of adjoining/connecting rooms available!" 🤦‍♀️ So I truly believe it depends on the person assigning the rooms.
I do think some of it (or maybe a lot of it) has to do with the room assignor actually paying attention to requests. In your case, though, if you requested "adjoining" rooms, that means "near each other" in Disney resort terms. I don't know where your 2 rooms were, but they could have been well within Disney's idea of "adjoining" rooms. If you wanted two rooms with a connecting door, you need to request "connecting". Disney uses different terms than most hotel chains.

There are elevators in some buildings at POR. We had a royal room a while back and there were elevators in that building (I messed up my foot on that trip, so we used them more than usual).
The buildings with elevators don't have 5th sleeper rooms. We have booked a 5th sleeper, so we will be in Alligator Bayou with no elevators.

I do think some of it (or maybe a lot of it) has to do with the room assignor actually paying attention to requests. In your case, though, if you requested "adjoining" rooms, that means "near each other" in Disney resort terms. I don't know where your 2 rooms were, but they could have been well within Disney's idea of "adjoining" rooms. If you wanted two rooms with a connecting door, you need to request "connecting". Disney uses different terms than most hotel chains.
Yes I edited my post to reflect that because I couldn't remember the proper term but I definitely asked for the rooms to be connected lol I agree allot rides on the assigner if they pay attention or not too.

When traveling with my mom, we always request (and have received) connecting rooms. On a trip with just my son and I to Pop Century last year, I requested 50s/60s and was not placed there (we were about as far away from it as possible). That was I think the first time I had made a specific location request and will probably be the last time.

Other trips when I have NOT made requests: Grand Floridan outer building garden view, placed in theme park view (sadly it was in 2021 when they weren't doing fireworks). French Quarter standard view, placed in garden view. Wilderness lodge standard view, placed in water view

When we stayed on site at All-Star Sports I believe we made the request for top floor and maybe closer to transportation?? We had booked standard then switched to preferred when a discount came out making it less than we paid for the standard room. This was in 2017 though. So we would have gotten closer to transportation anyhow with being preferred but I was thinking closer to the front parking lots, we didn't actually use the buses as we had a rental car but our room was very easy to go down the elevator or stairs and out to the parking lot where our car was and that's what we were hoping to do so we could get out quickly. Plus we didn't want to be by the pool. We ended up in the Touchdown section facing where the buses are, it was a good location for us.

I wouldn't say don't book room requests as a norm for Disney but if you do try to keep it simple. You'll hear that advice a lot as more complicated or specified makes it harder to find that needle in the haystack. I agree with a post several weeks ago people on this site especially amp up certain views and give the advice at times to go demand something else if you didn't get it. That's not a good way of looking at the available options you can request for. If you book X category and don't get what you booked that's one thing and sometimes that happens.

I’m DVC - the only request I ever add to the ressie is Top Floor - in our 40+ trips the last 10 years - we’ve NEVER stayed in the top floor
I think top floor for Deluxe is way harder to accommodate. But a Value or a Mod much easier. Plus Values and Mods have exterior hallways likely interacting with just how many people even want to be up higher.

I don't think I've ever gotten the requested room, or anything close to it. Most of the time, it's worked out well. Last November, not so much. Solo female traveler, and I ended up with a ground level, handicapped accessible room. I HATE ground level (my brother's ground level room was broken into via the window one night while they were in the room, sleeping) and also don't do well with HA rooms. I have terrible knees, and both the bed and the toilet were too low; it was really hard to sit/stand. I was so unhappy with my small, dark, first floor room. It really did take the "shine" off the trip a little bit.

I just put in a request for my Nov 4-8 trip to ASMusic via touringplans. I asked for a room range, but in the notes specifically requested upper floor, NOT handicapped accessible. Those two are far more important to me than the actual building/view.

ETA: For the first time ever, I got EXACTLY the room I requested for that trip in Nov. 2023!!

Last edited:
I'm thinking about the statement that it all comes down to expectations. I guess you could interpret this that way: I travel with my sister and no way in hell would we accept a room with a king bed and no other sleep surface. This has never happened to us but if it did, I'd be at the front desk demanding a room with 2 beds.

I used to put in requests, but now I just go to the front desk and check in there, even if I've done online check-in. Yes, I'm picky!

But I have to say that I've never had a bad room at POFQ.

I'm thinking about the statement that it all comes down to expectations. I guess you could interpret this that way: I travel with my sister and no way in hell would we accept a room with a king bed and no other sleep surface. This has never happened to us but if it did, I'd be at the front desk demanding a room with 2 beds.

I used to put in requests, but now I just go to the front desk and check in there, even if I've done online check-in. Yes, I'm picky!

But I have to say that I've never had a bad room at POFQ.
I would assume you have to keep in mind what category you booked. If a room comes with a possibility of 2 double beds or a queen for example you may get a queen. I wouldn't go demanding they move you, I would ask if there was a room with 2 double beds available---there may not be though and that can't be faulted on the hotel.

I would assume you have to keep in mind what category you booked. If a room comes with a possibility of 2 double beds or a queen for example you may get a queen. I wouldn't go demanding they move you, I would ask if there was a room with 2 double beds available---there may not be though and that can't be faulted on the hotel.
I've never booked a room that could have 2 double beds or a queen, so I'm not familiar with that scenario. We usually stay at POFQ, where a king bed is a separate category, I believe, since I see it as a choice when one is booking.

So if we got a king bed room, we would have to move. If the resort couldn't accommodate us, we'd have to move to another resort. No way could I spend a week on vacation in the same bed--king, queen, whatever, with my sister--or with anyone other than my DH. If this makes me an ultra picky crank, then I guess I am, but I think it just means I'm a reasonable person.

Also, if I booked garden view and got a parking lot view, I would also expect to be moved. Big difference there.

I've never booked a room that could have 2 double beds or a queen, so I'm not familiar with that scenario. We usually stay at POFQ, where a king bed is a separate category, I believe, since I see it as a choice when one is booking.

So if we got a king bed room, we would have to move. If the resort couldn't accommodate us, we'd have to move to another resort. No way could I spend a week on vacation in the same bed--king, queen, whatever, with my sister--or with anyone other than my DH. If this makes me an ultra picky crank, then I guess I am, but I think it just means I'm a reasonable person.

Also, if I booked garden view and got a parking lot view, I would also expect to be moved. Big difference there.
I would suggest not booking a room that would not suit you is my point. I never made a comment about your wanting to share a bed or not just your wordage of demand to be moved. In a situation where you book a room that has an "or" option you have to expect either to be what you get. Requesting to be moved is not what I was talking about, but if they don't have rooms they don't hence me saying don't book a room that leaves this as an option if it is a deal breaker. I meant this as a general comment just as much as a Disney thing. The guests who cause the most ruckus on average are those who begin with describing something as "I'll demand xyz".

I would suggest not booking a room that would not suit you is my point. I never made a comment about your wanting to share a bed or not just your wordage of demand to be moved. In a situation where you book a room that has an "or" option you have to expect either to be what you get. Requesting to be moved is not what I was talking about, but if they don't have rooms they don't hence me saying don't book a room that leaves this as an option if it is a deal breaker. I meant this as a general comment just as much as a Disney thing. The guests who cause the most ruckus on average are those who begin with describing something as "I'll demand xyz".
You're right. I should not have said "demand," however, if I somehow ended up with a room with one bed instead of two and I was not traveling alone, I would have to move to another room, however that would be accomplished. This would not be a case of "Oh well, I'm at Disney, so it's all good." I don't go on vacation to sleep in the same bed with my sister.

When I book at POFQ, the room states that it will have two queen beds. But POFQ does have rooms with king beds--I've been in such a room when I was by myself and in fact booked a king room--and I could see how one could accidentally end up with such a room even if it wasn't booked.

If Disney wouldn't know how to accommodate two traveling companions who are averse to sleeping in the same bed together--and a king room or room with one bed wasn't booked--that would just be the end of going to WDW for me.

You're right. I should not have said "demand," however, if I somehow ended up with a room with one bed instead of two and I was not traveling alone, I would have to move to another room, however that would be accomplished. This would not be a case of "Oh well, I'm at Disney, so it's all good." I don't go on vacation to sleep in the same bed with my sister.

When I book at POFQ, the room states that it will have two queen beds. But POFQ does have rooms with king beds--I've been in such a room when I was by myself and in fact booked a king room--and I could see how one could accidentally end up with such a room even if it wasn't booked.

If Disney wouldn't know how to accommodate two traveling companions who are averse to sleeping in the same bed together--and a king room or room with one bed wasn't booked--that would just be the end of going to WDW for me.
Well Disney doesn't know what everyone does and doesn't want, no hotel does, rooms are based on occupancy (well other than highly themed rooms like honeymoon suites). Not everyone has the same issue as you, and some do, some people have no problem sleeping in the same bed as their siblings, nor their parents. My husband and I have on occasion specifically chosen a room with 2 double beds or 2 queen beds and we're a married couple lol. Most often it's just down to the room as sometimes the amenities are better (like a better view or location sometimes cost but not always). Some people solve your situation by booking separate rooms, some solve it by booking rooms that have at least a pull out couch if it only has 1 actual bed, some multi-room suites. Again that's a general comment.

This is just to say it's not on the hotel to figure out what each and every person wants and requesting separate beds in a room category that may come with a single bed means you have to accept that you may be getting that single bed. Try and get moved sure but the hotel may not have rooms available to be moved to and it's not on the hotel.

You made your comment on a thread about room requests so I took that at face value that you were talking about a request. So I brought up a room situation where you could have booked one that has an "or" option with it.

I would totally be on your side (and I said this in my first comment IIRC on this thread) if you didn't get the category you booked that's different. So if you booked the 2 queen bed with POFQ yes I would hope Disney works to give you the most comparable room if you didn't get that room that you booked :flower3:

I've stayed at Disney hotels many times. I've never made a room request, and was never disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter