Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Reading about all the changes SW has made to people’s flights has me worried about booking with them for our October trip (skipped booking yesterday to hold out for a lower price).
We always like to take the earliest non stop out of MKE and then the latest non stop heading back.

Has anyone else booked either of these routes since the pandemic and had southwest drastically change things??
My end of May 9:45am non-stop MKE-MCO changed about 2 weeks ago to about 3 hours later. The early flight changed by 5min from 6:50am to 6:55am. We moved to the 6:55 flight as I didn't want to leave as late as 1pm.

I don't care for the offerings of Spirit and Frontier out of MKE. If you can travel on short notice and light, you can get some good pricing with these two.

This is really unacceptable. This problem is on Southwest. Even though the social media team is part of Customer Relations, there also is a phone number for Customer Relations, if you still want to pursue this. They obviously had the Companion Pass reservations linked, but sometimes, their system does crazy things. If you decide to call, nicely explain the problem they caused, how the new flight causes major problems with your plans, and politely plead your case (though you may have already done that by Messenger). They will have a record of your encounter on Messenger.

Contact Customer Relations
You can reach Customer Relations by:

Phone: (855) 234-4654
Twitter: @SouthwestAir
Facebook: @SouthwestAir
Email here.

The Customer Relations/Rapid Rewards Department is specialized to assist Customers with escalated concerns.

For all of you who followed along on my companion flight change saga on Thursday, I appreciate your thoughtful replies and helpful comments.

After being upset and frustrated over the events which resulted in having to settle for a late flight, I decided to sleep on it before calling the customer service number to see if there was any chance of changing the flights. When I called, I got a recorded message stating they were closed for the holiday. I checked the app numerous times all day, but all the nonstop flights showed unavailable except for the late flight I was booked on. It was going to have to wait until Monday when customer service reopened.

Today, the first time I checked the app the nonstop flight at 4:05 p.m. showed availability for 4, so I quickly called the reservation line, waited for 20 minutes, and then spoke to a wonderful SW rep named Amy. She listened to my story, held those 4 flights on the 4:05 nonstop, and began making the changes. She said because it was SW’s error in changing the companion to a separate flight, there would be no charge, and she made a notation on my account that if any other earlier nonstop flights became available that I was allowed another change free of charge also, but that I would need to call to change the flights instead of doing it online myself.

She repeatedly said this should never have happened, that sometime the computers glitch when making changes and they had had numerous calls over the changes. I told her I understood about the changes in flights due to COVID, but was upset about the fact that the companion was changed to a different flight, then she couldn’t be changed back to our flight, and we coudn’t be changed to her flight, necessitating all 4 tickets being changed to the only nonstop available, a late flight. She did say what I was told by someone here, that when they make changes, flights show as unavailable until the changes have been made, then they may reappear, which is why she noted that I was allowed to make another change without charge if earlier flights became available.

I also asked her about the A-List promo that I received by email and registered for, and she said it applies to all flights through June 30, not just flights booked after registering for the promo. So we are considered A-List for the flights, which will be awesome not to have to check in at 24 hours and worry about sitting together, especially since this is the first time I’ve not bought early bird! Needless to say, after all the frustration dealing with this, I am very grateful to be arriving at 6:55pm vs. almost midnight! Amy was awesome helping with this and I appreciate all your help and suggestions, too.

For all of you who followed along on my companion flight change saga on Thursday, I appreciate your thoughtful replies and helpful comments.

After being upset and frustrated over the events which resulted in having to settle for a late flight, I decided to sleep on it before calling the customer service number to see if there was any chance of changing the flights. When I called, I got a recorded message stating they were closed for the holiday. I checked the app numerous times all day, but all the nonstop flights showed unavailable except for the late flight I was booked on. It was going to have to wait until Monday when customer service reopened.

Today, the first time I checked the app the nonstop flight at 4:05 p.m. showed availability for 4, so I quickly called the reservation line, waited for 20 minutes, and then spoke to a wonderful SW rep named Amy. She listened to my story, held those 4 flights on the 4:05 nonstop, and began making the changes. She said because it was SW’s error in changing the companion to a separate flight, there would be no charge, and she made a notation on my account that if any other earlier nonstop flights became available that I was allowed another change free of charge also, but that I would need to call to change the flights instead of doing it online myself.

She repeatedly said this should never have happened, that sometime the computers glitch when making changes and they had had numerous calls over the changes. I told her I understood about the changes in flights due to COVID, but was upset about the fact that the companion was changed to a different flight, then she couldn’t be changed back to our flight, and we coudn’t be changed to her flight, necessitating all 4 tickets being changed to the only nonstop available, a late flight. She did say what I was told by someone here, that when they make changes, flights show as unavailable until the changes have been made, then they may reappear, which is why she noted that I was allowed to make another change without charge if earlier flights became available.

I also asked her about the A-List promo that I received by email and registered for, and she said it applies to all flights through June 30, not just flights booked after registering for the promo. So we are considered A-List for the flights, which will be awesome not to have to check in at 24 hours and worry about sitting together, especially since this is the first time I’ve not bought early bird! Needless to say, after all the frustration dealing with this, I am very grateful to be arriving at 6:55pm vs. almost midnight! Amy was awesome helping with this and I appreciate all your help and suggestions, too.
After your seemingly never-ending saga, I'm so glad that you were able to maneuver through all of this and receive an acceptable resolution. It sounds like Amy provided excellent customer service. If you’d like, you can message Southwest on FB or DM them on Twitter, referencing your confirmation numbers and commending the great assistance Amy gave you. Your comments will be forwarded to Amy, and I believe your positive comments may go in her employee record.

Last edited:

I am surprised to hear this because the fine print that accompanied the promo, or at least the version of it that I got, stated clearly that it would not apply to already-booked flights. Maybe SW changed their corporate mind about that.

FYI - Southwest extended their schedule this morning for flights through November 1, 2021.

Also, Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment. (prettier formatting seen HERE)

Release Date | Travel Through
next release: TBD | TBD**
4/1/21 | November 1, 2021
12/10/20 | August 16, 2021
8/13/20 | April 11th, 2021
5/28/20 | January 4th, 2021
3/12/20 | October 30th, 2020
12/11/19 | August 10th, 2020
10/30/19 | June 6th, 2020
9/26/19 | April 13th, 2020
8/15/19 | March 6th, 2020
5/30/19 | January 5th, 2020
3/15/19 | November 2nd, 2019
1/31/19 | October 1st, 2019
11/15/18 | August 5th, 2019
9/27/18 | June 8th, 2019
** FYI this is subject to change and isn't always available on release day

The chart above shows approx. the last 2 year's worth of releases. Earlier data can be seen here in one of my prior posts. This information could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above).
For those that care about "release timing" it can vary, but here are the recent "go live" of previous releases including today:

Release Date | Time (eastern)
4/1/20 | 9:10am
12/10/20 | 7:15am
8/13/20 | 9:15am
5/28/20 | 9:06am
3/12/20 | 9:40am
12/11/19 | 9:10am
10/30/19 | 7:15am
9/26/19 | 7:30am
8/15/19 | 10:41am
5/30/19 | 9:20am
HI ---
Do we do a watch thread for the Nov & dec Southwest flights? or does this thread suffice??

I’m watching flights for late June and they are just so much more than I’m used to paying!!! Every sale that comes doesn’t apply to Orlando. I am keeping fingers crossed they eventually drop even if just by a little. Makes earning a companion pass less appealing now that I’ll have to pay double for my ticket!!!

I’m watching flights for late June and they are just so much more than I’m used to paying!!! Every sale that comes doesn’t apply to Orlando. I am keeping fingers crossed they eventually drop even if just by a little. Makes earning a companion pass less appealing now that I’ll have to pay double for my ticket!!!

I agree with everything, but the companion pass. I never earn that. I bought my tickets for October at what I feel is the new opening day price. I see June dates one way for over $300. The travel Tuesday or Wednesday for lower fare doesn't seem to apply any more. I think prices will continue to rise as people feel more comfortable with flying. Supply and demand.

Every sale that comes doesn’t apply to Orlando.
The only sales I've ever been able to find were from the locations that have a really heavy SW presence, primarily MDW, DAL and BNA. The deals have been good enough a couple times for me to drive the extra 100 miles to get to MDW.

I am surprised to hear this because the fine print that accompanied the promo, or at least the version of it that I got, stated clearly that it would not apply to already-booked flights. Maybe SW changed their corporate mind about that.
I also received this promo. I flew last week and my boarding passes indicated that I had it. These flights were booked in January.

I also received this promo. I flew last week and my boarding passes indicated that I had it. These flights were booked in January.

So were you able to board with A-List? Did you still check in at 24 hours or just assumed you could board early with A-List?

I checked in right at the 24 hour mark . I did not buy the early bird. I received A 23 on a full flight. They must of checked me in at 36 hours to get that number.
Since A-List boarding numbers start with A-16, you were obviously checked in as an A-List member, with seven other A-Listers ahead of you. Thanks for reporting back. This gives hope to those with existing bookings at the time of registration for the A-List promo!

Since A-List boarding numbers start with A-16, you were obviously checked in as an A-List member, with seven other A-Listers ahead of you. Thanks for reporting back. This gives hope to those with existing bookings at the time of registration for the A-List promo!

So since I have the A-List promo and it shows A-List by my name, do I still need to check in at 24 hours? Obviously, I’ve never had A-List before!

So since I have the A-List promo and it shows A-List by my name, do I still need to check in at 24 hours? Obviously, I’ve never had A-List before!
Going by your recent experience, I would say probably no. However, to be on the safe side, I would check in at T-24, anyway. Besides the auto check-in and lower boarding position, if you are not familiar with all of the other A-List perks, you may want to check them out. I've appreciated the special phone number for A-Listers, which comes in handy when the regular lines are backed up.

A-LIST BENEFITS
Priority boarding
You, and everyone on your reservation, get an earlier boarding position.

25% earning bonus
Get to your next reward flight faster when you earn bonus points on every qualifying flight.

Same-day standby
Want an earlier flight? See a friendly Customer Service Agent at the airport for this benefit.

Priority check-in and security lane access
Fly By® Access means less time waiting in line.

Dedicated A-List member phone line
Special A-List phone line to help you connect directly with a Customer Representative.

We are leaving in a few days. I got an email from SW saying curb side checkin is not available in Phila. Anyone know if this is a covid thing? I'm spoiled by curb side checkin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter