• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I always rebook first and then cancel if I can (meaning I have enough points). As long as you cancel the original flight right away there won’t be an issue. I just did that today and was double booked for an hour or so while I waited for southwest to split my original reservation. No problems.
That’s great to know that’s an option. I wondered what would happen if I waited until I had made my new flight to cancel the old one. I ended up canceling first and then rebooking, but it’s good to know in the future I could do it that way.

Just got off the phone with customer service. I was able to save over 3000 points rebooking with them. We are using CP. I could've saved 8000 at 6 am when I called, but I didn't know about the code to use on points and the procedure. At that time of day I thought the discount was only available on cash bookings. Now I know how to rebook online. I was told cancel the CP first, then mine. Go in and rebook mine, then the CP. Make sure there are two seats available before canceling and rebooking.

Last edited:
I suppose there is theoretically a chance that you could cancel & then have the tickets sell before you can repurchase, but I’ve never had an issue. I just make sure I repurchase right away. And the site will usually tell you if there are only a few remaining tickets in a particular category (wanna getaway, anytime, or business select). When I did mine today it told me that our flight down only had 4 of the business select fares left at that price, but I had no problem cancelling our existing reservation & then booking 3 of the 4 business select fares that were available at the promo price.
Thanks so much! I did a "search flights" before I canceled to make sure 4 tix were were available in my category. Then canceled and rebooked immediately. SAVE50 price for each of our tix (each way) was only 5003 pts! So I banked a total of 20k points back into my account by canceling and rebooking using the promo!! Happy!

Last edited:

So I have a flight change banner for tomorrow’s flight. Ugh. I hope our flight ends up happening
Our nonstop flight for 6:05 tomorrow morning (arriving at MCO at 8:40 am) was looking good, had our mobile boarding passes, etc and at 8pm tonight they cancelled. We are beyond frustrated. They eventually automatically rebooked us on a flight on the 17th arriving at MCO at 8:55. This means we’re losing 2 full days (36 hrs but 2 days of vacation time essentially). Was on hold for 2 hrs and they weren’t able to do anything- couldn’t even book at a nearby airport and drive without paying the extreme price difference (the departure flight alone was $600/person). Trying to stay positive for the next day and a half (and having to make some cancellations tomorrow for the missed days)… 😕

Our nonstop flight for 6:05 tomorrow morning (arriving at MCO at 8:40 am) was looking good, had our mobile boarding passes, etc and at 8pm tonight they cancelled. We are beyond frustrated. They eventually automatically rebooked us on a flight on the 17th arriving at MCO at 8:55. This means we’re losing 2 full days (36 hrs but 2 days of vacation time essentially). Was on hold for 2 hrs and they weren’t able to do anything- couldn’t even book at a nearby airport and drive without paying the extreme price difference (the departure flight alone was $600/person). Trying to stay positive for the next day and a half (and having to make some cancellations tomorrow for the missed days)… 😕
I’m so, so sorry this happened to you. 😢

ugh I am so sorry this happened to you. We are supposed to leave Columbus OH at 6:35 and it appears to be on time. But I am still worried. We are doing a very short trip that I did not want to cut shorter like you had to. Barely slept last night because I have been so nervous about this.

ugh I am so sorry this happened to you. We are supposed to leave Columbus OH at 6:35 and it appears to be on time. But I am still worried. We are doing a very short trip that I did not want to cut shorter like you had to. Barely slept last night because I have been so nervous about this.

we started driving to the airport and I got a text that we have a 35 min delay but that’s not an issue. I was so worried it would be cancelled

we started driving to the airport and I got a text that we have a 35 min delay but that’s not an issue. I was so worried it would be cancelled
Hopefully your flight only saw the 35 min delay and you get to enjoy your trip! :)Our trip was at least a long one so we are thankful for that.

Hopefully your flight only saw the 35 min delay and you get to enjoy your trip! :)Our trip was at least a long one so we are thankful for that.
I'm soooo sorry this happened to you (I just also read your post on the CSR thread).

I'm glad to hear you'll have a long trip and wishing your flight goes smoothly and that you and yours have SO much fun once you get down there! :)

Oh that’s awful I’m so sorry! I’m surprised they would require payment to fly out of a nearby airport. Isn’t the goal to get you there ASAP? I’m glad to see you have a long trip though and hope the rest goes very smoothly!

Oh that’s awful I’m so sorry! I’m surprised they would require payment to fly out of a nearby airport. Isn’t the goal to get you there ASAP? I’m glad to see you have a long trip though and hope the rest goes very smoothly!
That was our thought too. SW has such good customer service that we didn’t see that as an issue. I guess it makes sense because all of those with flights from that airport were also needing to rebook. Doesn’t make me feel better though. 😜

I booked SW for end of July and all these cancelations they have been doing with last minute notices really make me nervous! Sure hope they get these issues fixed. Part of me is wondering if I should cancel (points were used) and book Delta.

Friends are going in July as well. They said the same thing DISNEYGIRL71. They also might drive since car rental prices are not dropping.

Friends are going in July as well. They said the same thing DISNEYGIRL71. They also might drive since car rental prices are not dropping.
I’ve even considered the option of driving!

We’ve always flown SW and loved them, but they leave me with a uneasy feeling now..and I sure don’t want to lose 2 days of my trip and the money invested!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter