Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I've been waiting to read a datapoint on this as well. It does apply to existing cardholders, but it's not clear to me if we have to wait until our cardmember annniversary to use it.
As the benefit rolls over every year, based on anniversary date, if you wait till you hit the next anniversary date, you will lose the two comped EBCI for this year. The benefit is 2X per year, based on your anniversary (renewal) date of the card.

The posting date also is important.

Statement credits will be issued for the anniversary year in which the transaction posts to your account. For example, if you purchase EarlyBird Check-In and Southwest does not post the transaction until after your current anniversary year ends, the cost of the EarlyBird Check-In services will be allocated towards the following year's maximum of 2 services.

Last edited:
has anybody with a premier card tried to redeem the Early Bird booking? Mine still asks for $20 and since it's not refundable, I want to see if it works before I click "purchase." I assume you need to use the SW credit card number. It also looks like it possibly does not apply to current cardholders.
I've been waiting to read a datapoint on this as well. It does apply to existing cardholders, but it's not clear to me if we have to wait until our cardmember annniversary to use it.

You can check your current rewards offerings (i.e. check to see if you can use the new benefits now) by doing the following:
1) Log into your Chase account
2) Next to the Southwest credit card click More -> Rewards dashboard
3) The right column states the benefits on your card, how many are remaining, and when they reset

You can check your current rewards offerings (i.e. check to see if you can use the new benefits now) by doing the following:
3) The right column states the benefits on your card, how many are remaining, and when they reset
THANK YOU! This was great information!

Thanks. I see a list of benefits, but I'm not seeing a right column with numbers remaining/dates.

SWA cancelled our nonstop out of MHT to MCO earlier this summer. We changed flights dates/time several times, but ended up on MHT-BWI-MCO yesterday. It ended up the worst two flights we can remember. Every single seat was booked and BWI-MCO was delayed leaving so we were late arriving. We got to the airport at 4 am and finally got to FL around 2 pm. Just happy to be here but so glad despite not getting our regular nonstop, we started on the first flight.

Super frustrating!! That's one of the reasons that despite the direct flight not arriving in MCO until 1:30pm, we opted for that flight in Feb. The non-direct only got in about an hour earlier and leaves open more delays. Of course, it's possible that the direct flight gets changed between now and Feb.

We got SO SPOILED with our 5:15am direct in 2020 that had us land, grab bags, rental car, and make it to DHS before (just before) 8am opening!

I went ahead and added Early Bird for our Dec flights (we each have a SW CC) and so far the charges are pending. We'll see if they get reversed before they hit or if it comes thru as a charge and then a credit.

I went ahead and added Early Bird for our Dec flights (we each have a SW CC) and so far the charges are pending. We'll see if they get reversed before they hit or if it comes thru as a charge and then a credit.

I get the 4 upgraded boardings with my card. It showed on my statement as a change, with the credit as the next line item. This will probably work the same way.

I look forward to seeing what happens. I read a datapoint on the CC thread about the new points transfer credit posting right after the charge. Hopefully this works the same way.

This is a dumb question probably, but if I have a flight booked on my husbands points, but I have my RR # in for my reservation, do I get points for that or does my husband? Or neither since it's booked with points

Companions are now automatically assigned boarding positions immediately in front of the person they are the companion to.
Dang it, when did this start? Like a month ago I booked flights and SW told me I'd have to get the ECBI for all of us to be able to board together since I am on a diff reservation # as the companion. I finally gave in a bought the ecbi yesterday and now I see this lol.

Dang it, when did this start? Like a month ago I booked flights and SW told me I'd have to get the ECBI for all of us to be able to board together since I am on a diff reservation # as the companion. I finally gave in a bought the ecbi yesterday and now I see this lol.
I believe it was confirmed on FlyerTalk by a SW employee in July. Not surprising that a SW phone rep wouldn't know the rules. I've found I get much better information here and FT than I do directly from the companies.

The perk of having your companion board with you (boarding position next to yours) began early this year. That applies only to your companion, not everyone in your party.

The perk of having your companion board with you (boarding position next to yours) began early this year. That applies only to your companion, not everyone in your party.
I wonder if that's why I had trouble when I flew in July? My companion checked in separately like he always had, bur our check-in positions were modified to whoever got the later boarding position. One time the companion had the later number and one time the main person did. Both times both boarding positions were changed to the later one. We'd never seen that before, so maybe that's because the companion is automatically assigned now? Next time we won't check in the companion and hopefully won't have an issue.

Ugh, looks like I wasted the 2 Early Bird additions for my companion. I was actually thinking of just doing one and hoping no one would sit in the middle seat before he got on board, but I realize now that wasn't even necessary.

Does anyone know if they'll refund EB cost if they end up having to put you on a different flight because yours was canceled? We had that happen this summer when weather delayed our aircraft and we had to reschedule for the next day. Obviously we were way at the back of boarding given it was like 12 hours later and we didn't get to sit together, etc. I meant to call but there was always such a long wait (and completely forgot to ask when they were rebooking us. given we had to get a hotel etc, it was the last thing on my mind).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter