• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I realize I’m asking for pure speculation. But what are the chances SW will add more direct flights in their schedule later on? All of the dates I have browsed, there are zero direct flights PHL to MCO. I know it’s first world problems, but I’m stuck with a bunch of points and nowhere to use them unless I want a layover, which I’m desperately trying to avoid.
Adding flights seems extremely unlikely with SW, especially something nonstop from Philly to Orlando. That's a round-trip, non-stop option we used to love, too, but it's been getting less and less friendly over the years (even starting before pandemic). First they dumped Newark, and then the nonstops from Philly were reduced. Wouldn't be shocked if they did away with non-stop options completely between the cities, but that remains to be seen. We've been opting for Baltimore instead, which is farther, but more options for us. Part of me thinks it might be the proximity to Baltimore, as a SW hub, that has Philly flights adjusted.

My Sept MCO-BWI hasn't changed yet, but it looks the same as my screenshot above for my August flight into Orlando.

I tried to search again just now (3pm ET) and SW says they don't have *any* flights from BWI to MCO that day. So, either IT issues or changes are afoot.
I just checked flights BWI/MCO and all direct flights for my dates 9/7-9/14 are $163 lowest fares.

This is disappointing to me, too. The only non-stops are on the weekends; service from PHL to MCO (and back) is no where near as good as it used to be.

Adding flights seems extremely unlikely with SW, especially something nonstop from Philly to Orlando. That's a round-trip, non-stop option we used to love, too, but it's been getting less and less friendly over the years (even starting before pandemic). First they dumped Newark, and then the nonstops from Philly were reduced. Wouldn't be shocked if they did away with non-stop options completely between the cities, but that remains to be seen. We've been opting for Baltimore instead, which is farther, but more options for us. Part of me thinks it might be the proximity to Baltimore, as a SW hub, that has Philly flights adjusted.
I know! I’m super bummed. It seems like SW is on its way out of Philly. All of the direct routes it advertises have virtually no direct flights on the dates I’ve played with. BWI is just too far for me (about 2.5 hours) for a 2.5 hour flight. Looks like I will be flying other carriers for my Disney trips. But now I have to burn about 85,000 points (not hard these days with the point pricing) before they abandon Philly altogether. 😔
First world problems, I totally know, but still a bummer. I love the free WiFi and bags on SW.

Our airport (RDU) has 2 terminals and one is solely SW.....well WAS solely SW until today. Now they've given 4 gates to Spirit. Of course, I have no idea how high the usage was at all gates in that terminal, but I know SW used all of them. Not sure if that means they are operating more efficiently or if SW has actually scaled back the number of flights.

That's a good point about BWI.
DCA currently has 2 direct flights left to MCO, and far as I can tell no more evening ones. Prepandemic I think there were 4 or 5 directs throughoutthe day. Seems the most popular flights are at bwi.

View attachment 663295

So, does this mean that SW is about to start messing with my August/September flights? Seems unlikely that all non-stops are completely sold out of higher class fares but the cheaper ones are open.
My daughter’s flight to San Francisco just got messed with yesterday. It was supposed to be a 1 stop July 9th and got changed to a 2 stop on July 8th. Absolutely no flights out of Hartford on July 9. She is still waiting to see what they will do with her return flight on July 23rd.

We'll be wearing our masks too. It's been nice not to have a lot of colds.
YES!! our non-stops to Disney are super quick at 1.5 hrs but our Vegas flights will be a little longer since they have layover, but at least I'll be taking my mask off in the airport during our layover...

DH says I'm "strong" and can wear a mask for those short plane rides.... :rolleyes1

Just curious if anyone knows why SW has been inching their way out of PHL? We've flown AA but tried SW about 6yrs ago or so and loved the airline. The terminal in Philly is also nicer and cleaner IMO. We always flew on full flights. It seemed like they had a good thing going. It just seems odd bc it's Philly and Newark and where I am from those are the 2 airports everyone here uses. Especially for direct flights.

Currently scheduled to fly on an early morning NS out of BWI in July. I'm seeing that the flight times have been adjusted for the week before ours so I figure it's coming. There are NS flights available on the new schedule but they are at slightly different times. For those who have been affected, did SW reassign you to a NS if you already had one or did you suddenly have a layover?

We are booked to fly from BWI to Denver on a NS in late June and fly home on a NS in July. Both flights have been changed, but they are both still NS flights.

Just curious if anyone knows why SW has been inching their way out of PHL? We've flown AA but tried SW about 6yrs ago or so and loved the airline. The terminal in Philly is also nicer and cleaner IMO. We always flew on full flights. It seemed like they had a good thing going. It just seems odd bc it's Philly and Newark and where I am from those are the 2 airports everyone here uses. Especially for direct flights.

My guess would be it’s because BWI is a hub for SW and it really isn’t that far from Philly. I think they’d like to push more people to fly out of BWI.

BWI and Philly are about the same distance for us and we much prefer BWI. We avoid Philly if we can, but we did just fly from/to there last week because I could get better prices on AA. I was quickly reminded how much we hate that airport.

I just got checked in for my flight and got boarding positions B6 through B9. Is that good? I haven't flown Southwest in so long. :)

I just got checked in for my flight and got boarding positions B6 through B9. Is that good? I haven't flown Southwest in so long. :)
Not bad at all...you probably won't be in the first ten rows unless you're only looking for a one or two seat but should have plenty of options still. Edited to add: Noticed there are four of you, if you want to do 2 and 2 or 3 and 1 you should still be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter