Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

A question about this - if I have a LUV voucher for $150 and I find a WGA+ flight for $149, with $5 or so taxes added, I would receive $149 refunded in travel funds, then the $5 taxes would be returned to my credit card? Or should I look for a flight that is around $140 or so instead of $149?
I'm not sure on that one. I believe WGA+ taxes and fees come as part of the travel funds, so you want your full total to be $150.

Anyone else more sure?

A question about this - if I have a LUV voucher for $150 and I find a WGA+ flight for $149, with $5 or so taxes added, I would receive $149 refunded in travel funds, then the $5 taxes would be returned to my credit card? Or should I look for a flight that is around $140 or so instead of $149?
WGA+ fares are not eligible for method of payment refunds. The entire amount would be converted to a flight credit, commonly called travel funds.

WGA+ fares are not eligible for method of payment refunds. The entire amount would be converted to a flight credit, commonly called travel funds.

I believe taxes are refundable. I think you’re given an option for a refund or a travel fund when you cancel. The only portion that will be refundable will be the taxes & the rest will become travel credits. I have cancelled WGA fares & been given the option for taxes to be refunded.

Edit: sorry, my bad. This may only apply to flights booked on points. From the SW site:

“I booked a flight with Rapid Rewards points. If I cancel, will I get my points back?
Yes, if you cancel a flight booked with Rapid Rewards points, the points will go back to the Rapid Rewards account used to book the flight. You can choose whether the taxes and fees will be refunded as a method-of-payment refund or a flight credit to be used toward a future flight.”

Last edited:
Posted in our RR account:

"New Reward Bookings

Q: Can my new reward travel qualify toward tier status?
A: Yes, Members who register for this promotion and book new reward reservations for travel between September 21 and November 30, 2022 will receive credit for flight segments toward the number of one-way flights needed to achieve/retain tier status.
Q: What do I need to do in order to participate in this promotion?
A: All participants must register for the promotion by either clicking on the special registration link in their email or by logging in to their account between September 21 and November 30, 2022 in order for their reward travel to count toward tier status. Please note that the Member must register prior to booking and commencement of travel to qualify for the promotion.
Q: Do reward flight segment credits also apply to Companion Pass® qualification?
A: No, this promotion is for tier status only. Any reward flight segment credits earned as a result of this promotion will not count toward Companion Pass qualification.
Q: Will the Member also earn points/tier qualifying points for the fare associated with the reward reservation(s)?
A: No."

Just to circle back about the LUV vouchers - After reading about booking a flight and converting them to travel funds that do not expire I searched my email to find the one I had but discovered I actually have two vouchers!! I am so glad I checked because now I have $200 worth of credit to use. Thanks everyone!!

"New Reward Bookings

A: Yes, Members who register for this promotion and book new reward reservations for travel between September 21 and November 30, 2022 will receive credit for flight segments toward the number of one-way flights needed to achieve/retain tier status.
A: All participants must register for the promotion by either clicking on the special registration link in their email or by logging in to their account between September 21 and November 30, 2022 in order for their reward travel to count toward tier status. Please note that the Member must register prior to booking and commencement of travel to qualify for the promotion.
Q: Do reward flight segment credits also apply to Companion Pass® qualification?
A: No, this promotion is for tier status only. Any reward flight segment credits earned as a result of this promotion will not count toward Companion Pass qualification.
Q: Will the Member also earn points/tier qualifying points for the fare associated with the reward reservation(s)?
So wait - flights I book with points between 9/21-11/30 can count towards a list preferred status? But I have to book after I register? I’ve got a bunch of flights already booked on points most of which are still the same price. Should I cancel them and rebook after registering? Just checking if I read that correctly!!

"New Reward Bookings

So, you need 25 flights in a calendar year for status, right?

I have 4 credited right now, will be flying on points for 2 segments in '22, probably 4 in '23, so new calendar year.

There's no reason for me to bother with this if I'm still that far off from 25 flights, right? There's no difference between 4 and 10 segments as neither qualifies for any darn thing, right? I haven't even gotten any drink coupons yet....

(First world problem alert: complaining about drink coupons when your family is flying free on points / CPs! Lol!)

Check your flights! I just randomly looked up the current prices on my flights. The return flight to MKE in early November dropped over 10,000 points. I wasn’t expecting that!
Me too! In all my years traveling school vacation weeks, I have never had a price drop. I was lucky bc of the 3 direct flights, only mine had a drop. Got 26,000 points returned! (4 tickets).

Check your flights! I just randomly looked up the current prices on my flights. The return flight to MKE in early November dropped over 10,000 points. I wasn’t expecting that!
Thanks! I just checked and was able to get points back.

A-list question. I know about standby but if I have a morning flight and want to switch to an evening flight (same day) can i switch to the later flight with no charge if a seat is available? Since it’s later in the day can I call that morning rather than go to the gate?

A-list question. I know about standby but if I have a morning flight and want to switch to an evening flight (same day) can i switch to the later flight with no charge if a seat is available? Since it’s later in the day can I call that morning rather than go to the gate?
According to SWA's website

"*Customers who book Business Select®, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away Plus™ fares can complete their free same-day change online; Wanna Get Away® fares can be changed online by paying a fare difference. A-List and A-List Preferred Members with a Wanna Get Away fare are eligible for free same-day change, but they must call Customer Service or visit a Southwest Gate Agent to make the confirmed change without paying the fare difference."

So for you

1) You're A-List so no fare difference applies
2) You can call or visit gate agent IF you booked WGA as opposed to the other fares listed where you can do it online.

According to SWA's website

"*Customers who book Business Select®, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away Plus™ fares can complete their free same-day change online; Wanna Get Away® fares can be changed online by paying a fare difference. A-List and A-List Preferred Members with a Wanna Get Away fare are eligible for free same-day change, but they must call Customer Service or visit a Southwest Gate Agent to make the confirmed change without paying the fare difference."

So for you

1) You're A-List so no fare difference applies
2) You can call or visit gate agent IF you booked WGA as opposed to the other fares listed where you can do it online.

I believe taxes are refundable. I think you’re given an option for a refund or a travel fund when you cancel. The only portion that will be refundable will be the taxes & the rest will become travel credits. I have cancelled WGA fares & been given the option for taxes to be refunded.

Edit: sorry, my bad. This may only apply to flights booked on points. From the SW site:

“I booked a flight with Rapid Rewards points. If I cancel, will I get my points back?
Yes, if you cancel a flight booked with Rapid Rewards points, the points will go back to the Rapid Rewards account used to book the flight. You can choose whether the taxes and fees will be refunded as a method-of-payment refund or a flight credit to be used toward a future flight.”

Okay, so I just tried to book a WGA+ flight to use my $150 LUV voucher, with plans to cancel it in order to convert the LUV voucher to travel funds that don't expire. It's been a while since I booked paying cash instead of booking with points, and I evidently thought the taxes would be a small amount like $5 or so when I had booked with points.

So the $149 flight I chose to book, $125 was flight cost and $23.98 was taxes & fees, meaning the $150 LUV voucher I wanted to use in full would only be worth $125, with $23.98 being charged in taxes and fees. So I'm going to need to book a more expensive flight to use up the $150 LUV voucher, and go through the booking process to see how much the actual flight cost is vs. flight cost and taxes and fees.

Okay, so I just tried to book a WGA+ flight to use my $150 LUV voucher, with plans to cancel it in order to convert the LUV voucher to travel funds that don't expire. It's been a while since I booked paying cash instead of booking with points, and I evidently thought the taxes would be a small amount like $5 or so when I had booked with points.

So the $149 flight I chose to book, $125 was flight cost and $23.98 was taxes & fees, meaning the $150 LUV voucher I wanted to use in full would only be worth $125, with $23.98 being charged in taxes and fees. So I'm going to need to book a more expensive flight to use up the $150 LUV voucher, and go through the booking process to see how much the actual flight cost is vs. flight cost and taxes and fees.
No, the taxes and fees would have been included in the TF. Airlines are mandated to show prices with all applicable taxes and fees included.

This was a surprise to me too when I recently booked a trip with a LUV voucher. When paying with points only the 9/11 security fee has to be paid with cash. But when using a LUV voucher all of the taxes and fees have to be paid in cash.

Fares include:
Excise taxes, including:

• 7.5% of base fare for domestic travel within the Continental United States and between the Hawaiian islands; prorated for travel between the Continental United States and Hawaii.
  • Arrival/Departure Tax of $9.90 each way for travel between the Continental United States and Hawaii.
  • U.S. Transportation Tax of $19.70 each way for travel between the Continental United States and Puerto Rico.
  • Federal segment fee of $4.50 that will be imposed on each flight segment. Flight segment is defined as a takeoff and a landing.
Other taxes
  • Government-imposed September 11th Security Fee starting at $5.60 per one-way trip.
  • Airport assessed Passenger Facility Charges (PFCs) of up to $18.

Fares Booked with Points or a Companion Pass:
  • Government-imposed September 11th Security Fee starting at $5.60 per one-way trip.

No, the taxes and fees would have been included in the TF. Airlines are mandated to show prices with all applicable taxes and fees included.

Even if the $23.98 taxes and fees are turned into TF when I cancel the dummy flight, I'm still having to pay extra taxes and fees by credit card which still leaves $25 unused from the $150 LUV Voucher. It will only take $125 from the $150 voucher for the flight cost.

I've searched for another WGA+ flight and a $172 flight only results in $146.40 flight cost, with fee & taxes added. The next tier flight is $183 and the flight cost is $156.63, with fee & taxes added, which would result in me needing to pay $6.63 extra.

So I guess the $172 flight is the better option.

If Southwest canceled my flight and then rebooked me on a different connecting flight due to the hurricane do I have to still keep the same arrival city as my original flight? I’m just wondering if I can fly someplace completely different…

If Southwest canceled my flight and then rebooked me on a different connecting flight due to the hurricane do I have to still keep the same arrival city as my original flight? I’m just wondering if I can fly someplace completely different…

I think on a rebook, you have to stay at least close to the original airport to not pay for any difference in fare. For like BWI, you could go to DCA or IAD for free. You could go to PHL, but then you'd be subject to their normal change policy.

I’m not flying into Orlando until Sunday afternoon, 10/2 and returning home 10/8. My Southwest flights are tagged for free flight changes for those dates as well.

Right now I’m sitting tight and seeing if by Sunday, things will be straightened out at least on my routes. No guarantees but fingers crossed. This was a risk I chose by booking this time of year.

Safe travels to everyone trying to get somewhere during the upcoming week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter