Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Thanks for the advice from all of you. We are exhausted, but making our way by driving. Our bags were finally released from BWI holding at 1am. We slept for a few hours at the airport hotel, and now we are driving. We are driving since they said it would be a 5 day wait to get booked on any flight to FL. I didn’t get the points back automatically, but while my DH was waiting for bags he got the customer service to return the points for the flights that were cancelled. In addition they gave $250 luv vouchers for each person. That sounds nice in theory but it doesn’t cover our lost time and money. The rental car alone was $500, not to mention the extra night at the hotel and the plans we had for yesterday and tomorrow today. I mentioned the amount though because people were being given all different amounts for luv vouchers. Most were less than us, I don’t know why. But one lady got $350, but I think she was a solo traveler… we got $1000 total for the 4 of us. I’m not sure those vouchers will be worth anything cause I wonder if Southwest is going under or something! All in all…. I’m happy to have my bags! And I’m happy to be in a position where it is possible for us to drive, so we will be there a few days late, but we will still get to have a vacation!
I'm glad you're finally on your way! I hope the rest of your travels go smoothly and you have a fabulous vacation!

We were cancelled on December 24 from Minneapolis. Rebooked for 26th. That got cancelled. We are from Canada so drove 6.5 hrs to get there, stayed an extra 2 nights. Decided to abort mission and drive home yesterday. No way to get through to Southwest and nothing available online until the 30th.
DVC agents were awesome though and cancelled took points out of holding. Spent the drive home cancelling all our ressies. :(
We had booked with points, were not offered anything in compensation at airport, but will try and get something when things die down. Was more concerned about getting a hold of DVC on 24th before they closed and figuring everything else out.
I have travel insurance on my cc so hopefully able to get back what we had to spend on extra hotel. Or my prepaid parking at airport.
At least we hadn't checked baggage or got stuck in another airport somewhere.

For anyone looking for the most current updates and strategies, the Southwest sub on Reddit has been fantastic.

All of there issues were certainly kicked off by the storm on the 21st/22nd, but it's their IT infrastructure on scheduling their flight crews that has failed miserably.

They did a "reset" last night and finally cancelled about 60% of their flights ahead of time (which they had NOT been doing) and are not allowing re-bookings at this point.

By some sort of post-Christmas miracle, my son's flight from BWI to SAN got out on time this morning. It is one of the few flying today because they were obviously able to book a full flight crew.

That is the entire problem right now. Southwest has no real handle on where their crews are sitting and can't get enough together to get flights out. The employees can't even call in to get their locations reported.

I feel so awful for all the SW ops people (flight crew, ground crew, and customer service) because this royal clusterfudge is not their fault. Holiday travel already means they're away from family working, and dealing with frazzled travelers. And now because some VP didn't want to shell out the money for a good flight crew scheduling system, we get this disaster. SW better be hooking up their employees with some serious thank you bonuses/PTO.

Thanks for the advice from all of you. We are exhausted, but making our way by driving. Our bags were finally released from BWI holding at 1am. We slept for a few hours at the airport hotel, and now we are driving. We are driving since they said it would be a 5 day wait to get booked on any flight to FL. I didn’t get the points back automatically, but while my DH was waiting for bags he got the customer service to return the points for the flights that were cancelled. In addition they gave $250 luv vouchers for each person. That sounds nice in theory but it doesn’t cover our lost time and money. The rental car alone was $500, not to mention the extra night at the hotel and the plans we had for yesterday and tomorrow today. I mentioned the amount though because people were being given all different amounts for luv vouchers. Most were less than us, I don’t know why. But one lady got $350, but I think she was a solo traveler… we got $1000 total for the 4 of us. I’m not sure those vouchers will be worth anything cause I wonder if Southwest is going under or something! All in all…. I’m happy to have my bags! And I’m happy to be in a position where it is possible for us to drive, so we will be there a few days late, but we will still get to have a vacation!
Glad you are on your way and have your luggage!!! Good call on driving. Hope you have a good trip!

For what it’s worth, we got zero in Luv vouchers for our debacle - just our points returned to our account. No refund on Early Bird at this point either. We spent all day Christmas Eve in the airport (11:00am-7:45pm) because they kept postponing before they cancelled the flight. Our flight on Frontier left MCO at 2:45pm on 12/25 and we made it back to our house at 7:00pm on Christmas Day. If we had waited for SWA, we would still be in Florida … on 12/24, when our flight got cancelled, they were rebooking people for 12/27 and 12/28 … and those flights aren’t happening.

We were lucky … I booked the Frontier flights on 12/20 when things started looking questionable for 12/23-12/24 due to weather, so prices were low and they had plenty of availability because nobody really wants to fly on Christmas Day, I guess. Plus our kids are college aged, so they weren’t stressed about Santa and they easily handled all the airport sitting. I felt terrible for families with small kids sitting around our gate all day on Christmas Eve only to have the flight cancelled.

We still don’t have our luggage (72 hours after we checked it in), but we are home and have other clothes …

So happy you are on the road. This has been such a mess. Our friends finally got bags at BWI too, They missed their cruise. And, they cancelled their spring flights on SW. This is such a shame!

Glad you are on your way and have your luggage!!! Good call on driving. Hope you have a good trip!

For what it’s worth, we got zero in Luv vouchers for our debacle - just our points returned to our account. No refund on Early Bird at this point either. We spent all day Christmas Eve in the airport (11:00am-7:45pm) because they kept postponing before they cancelled the flight. Our flight on Frontier left MCO at 2:45pm on 12/25 and we made it back to our house at 7:00pm on Christmas Day. If we had waited for SWA, we would still be in Florida … on 12/24, when our flight got cancelled, they were rebooking people for 12/27 and 12/28 … and those flights aren’t happening.

We were lucky … I booked the Frontier flights on 12/20 when things started looking questionable for 12/23-12/24 due to weather, so prices were low and they had plenty of availability because nobody really wants to fly on Christmas Day, I guess. Plus our kids are college aged, so they weren’t stressed about Santa and they easily handled all the airport sitting. I felt terrible for families with small kids sitting around our gate all day on Christmas Eve only to have the flight cancelled.

We still don’t have our luggage (72 hours after we checked it in), but we are home and have other clothes …
In October 2021, we were stuck in Orlando because of cancelled flights. (Thousands of flights were cancelled at that time as well) We ended up having to rent a car and drive home. I emailed southwest expressing my displeasure and asking if our travel funds expiration date could be extended. They responded with a form letter with LUV vouchers. I had another question, so I messaged them again. Again, a form letter that did not answer my question, but included more LUV vouchers. I don't think anyone was reading my emails, just sending vouchers. I'm not a "lets see what we can get for free" type of person. I genuinely wanted my questions answered, but they just sent vouchers.

Question-

I made a flight reservation about one month ago to fly to Pittsburgh from BWI on Friday Dec. 30 and return the next day.

Does anyone know or have a feeling if Southwest is flying any regularly scheduled flights. Their schedule is completely empty(blocked out) for the 30th. If I can't get out then I need to book on American or United but it means another $500 on an airline I have no affinity with. I can not postpone the trip as it is for an important family meeting.

I am also concerned because Southwest is not the only airline cancelling flights.

TIA,
Threehearts

Question-

I made a flight reservation about one month ago to fly to Pittsburgh from BWI on Friday Dec. 30 and return the next day.

Does anyone know or have a feeling if Southwest is flying any regularly scheduled flights. Their schedule is completely empty(blocked out) for the 30th. If I can't get out then I need to book on American or United but it means another $500 on an airline I have no affinity with. I can not postpone the trip as it is for an important family meeting.

I am also concerned because Southwest is not the only airline cancelling flights.

TIA,
Threehearts

I'd say that anything on Southwest this week is doubtful. This system crash and reset is going to take some time to work itself out.

Baltimore to Pittsburgh is about a 4 hour drive. Is that an option for you?

I went on today and it looks like you can change your flight for free to anytime within the next few weeks. That is a start to what has been going on

I have a SW flight to MCO leaving on 1/8 and I’m concerned they won’t have this fixed by then. Seriously considering booking on spirit for my flights since it seems more reliable than SW right now.

I have a SW flight to MCO leaving on 1/8 and I’m concerned they won’t have this fixed by then. Seriously considering booking on spirit for my flights since it seems more reliable than SW right now.
I wish I booked Spirit as a back up when I had the chance. You will get something back from Southwest eventually. I do think if they don't have this fixed by next week, they will not survive so I think you will be safe but from my seat at the moment, I wish I had a backup flight to salvage my trip. We do not have a lot of the same time off with the family besides the Christmas break.

I rescheduled to Saturday as soon as it was cancelled a few days ago thinking this had to be fixed by then. Now I'm not so sure. Nothing else is available around me except maybe one option at a different airport. If it was the same airport I would book it but this presents a little more of a challenge. Do we have any hope of Saturday night being a go? Saturday seems to be the first day that any flights are available at all.

A member mentioned yesterday on another thread that his spouse received an email that their SW flight could be delayed or canceled on 1/7.

Ugh I fly on 1/8 as well. We have gobs of SW points so I don't want to pay for a backup flight somewhere else. I could potentially buy another flight with points in case one is cancelled but I'd still be relying on SW getting at least one of those flights out.

We are due to leave on 1/3/23 from Midway to Orlando. I have no idea what to do. Our adult son has autism and we need things to go smoothly for him. I am so frustrated and my anxiety is high.

Ugh I fly on 1/8 as well. We have gobs of SW points so I don't want to pay for a backup flight somewhere else. I could potentially buy another flight with points in case one is cancelled but I'd still be relying on SW getting at least one of those flights out.
My flight is booked with points too so I get what you’re saying. I did end up booking a cheap flight with spirit just in case. Worst case scenario I’ll either get back points or have a flight credit with Spirit.

My husband was super surprised that SWA got his work flight booked so quickly for 1/12. Because of his job this is a flight SWA directly is booking and they are "paying for" I say that in quotes because there is no actual cost assigned to the ticket. He (and I) surely thought they would have been like "we're going to have to wait and see" and take a while to get it booked (as in who are the employees actually able to book?!)

His destination is Baltimore coming from KC.

I'm hoping this means they have confidence in something but with the above comments about 1/7-1/8 that's getting quite close to his flight...soo gosh IDK :sad2:

Any thoughts on if I were to book a backup flight for 1/8, which to choose. Our scheduled flight leaves at 7:15 am from Omaha to Atlanta to Orlando.

The next flight leaves at 11:30, no plane change in Washington DC but is 25,000 each. Arrives at 6:00 so might still miss out on a park day.

There is a 2:10 flight that changes planes in Houston that is 13,000 but it doesn't arrive until 9:00.

So do I go with less waiting/no transfer and potentially use up more points, or transfer planes/late but half the points?

Also our current flight and another after shows unavailable in all classes but all the rest of the day's flights have all ticket types available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter