Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Any thoughts on if I were to book a backup flight for 1/8, which to choose. Our scheduled flight leaves at 7:15 am from Omaha to Atlanta to Orlando.

My guess would be that you will be OK.

We are scheduled to fly from Las Vegas to Orlando on January 2, and our only back up is to cancel our trip and move it to summer for the Disney World portion and fly later for a cruise on January 8. I’m not really worried about getting out by January 8, but I am worried about the January 2 flight.

I ended up booking another flight and redepositing my points on the Southwest flight. I couldn't take the uncertainty and I can't really find any info on when they think they might start operating at full capacity again. Still holding on to the return flight but the holiday will be over and most of the other airlines seem to have availability for that date if we need to book something else to get home. Good luck everyone!

I'm hoping someone can help me with this question. I will be booking 2 sets of 4 one-way tickets (so, 8 one-way tickets altogether). I currently only have enough points for 3 of the one-way tickets (and not close enough to the amount needed where purchasing points makes sense for the other ticket). Will I be able to get all 4 tickets on the same reservation or will that 4th one have to be on a separate reservation since it will be cash? I think I've read that you can't combine points and cash, but is that just per ticket or per reservation too?

Any thoughts on if I were to book a backup flight for 1/8, which to choose. Our scheduled flight leaves at 7:15 am from Omaha to Atlanta to Orlando.

The next flight leaves at 11:30, no plane change in Washington DC but is 25,000 each. Arrives at 6:00 so might still miss out on a park day.

There is a 2:10 flight that changes planes in Houston that is 13,000 but it doesn't arrive until 9:00.

So do I go with less waiting/no transfer and potentially use up more points, or transfer planes/late but half the points?

Also our current flight and another after shows unavailable in all classes but all the rest of the day's flights have all ticket types available.
I saw that unavailable flight and wondered, does it mean the flight is full or in jeopardy of being canceled? My sister has flights on 1/2 and 1/8. They can't keep kicking the can down the street, that's for sure. What are the customer reps saying? Being apologetic won't work. It's an obvious disaster.

Last edited:

in the past it has been ok when SWA is working normally to potentially book a back up flight for the next day but do not book 2 SWA Flights for the same day (and the same person) because one of the flights will be canceled . . . YMMV

Last edited:
I'm hoping someone can help me with this question. I will be booking 2 sets of 4 one-way tickets (so, 8 one-way tickets altogether). I currently only have enough points for 3 of the one-way tickets (and not close enough to the amount needed where purchasing points makes sense for the other ticket). Will I be able to get all 4 tickets on the same reservation or will that 4th one have to be on a separate reservation since it will be cash? I think I've read that you can't combine points and cash, but is that just per ticket or per reservation too?

You can book with points OR cash, but not both, on the same reservation. So the cash reservation would have to be purchased separately.

I have a SW flight to MCO leaving on 1/8 and I’m concerned they won’t have this fixed by then. Seriously considering booking on spirit for my flights since it seems more reliable than SW right now.
Us too. Our drive is (only 🤨) 13 hours, so I’m seriously considering that instead. My husband has business in Tampa, as well as in downtown Orlando and Celebration and will need a car while the rest of us go to the parks, so I’m also concerned about our reserved rental vehicle being there with so many renting one-ways to get home right now. I’m also hearing that MCO is one of the airports having trouble catching up, so I don’t want to get there and then have an issue getting back. I’ve told the family we’ll watch the flights at both airports and make the final decision next Wednesday.

I have now been refunded all my SWA points and my early bird fare for my cancelled flight from MCO-GRR on 12/24.

I went to GRR this afternoon to check on my luggage and it’s still not there (I’ve seen some reports of people finding their luggage at their destination, so I thought I’d give it a try). The SWA luggage worker verified that it’s still at MCO and is set in the system to be sent to GRR. They will call me when it arrives and I can go get it or they will arrange for delivery. It’s a small airport - he said he has 60 open luggage claims and 40 are for MCO.

So now I guess I just wait. Day 4 of no luggage. It wouldn’t be a huge deal since we are home, but it was cold in FL the week we were there and my college kids packed their favorite jeans, leggings and sweatshirts … and would really like them back before they head back to school!

I saw that unavailable flight and wondered, does it mean the flight is full or in jeopardy of being canceled? My sister has flights on 1/2 and 1/8. They can't keep kicking the can down the street, that's for sure. What are the customer reps saying? Being apologetic won't work. It's an obvious disaster.
I believe that means it is full.

I have a SW flight to MCO leaving on 1/8 and I’m concerned they won’t have this fixed by then. Seriously considering booking on spirit for my flights since it seems more reliable than SW right now.
I am leaving 1/7 and getting worried too

I believe that means it is full.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I read something yesterday that SW was blocking all flights for *additional* reservations in an effort to control the damage I suppose (or not add to the number of travelers to deal with). I originally read it was thru the weekend, but I suppose it's possible that they've extended that approach for another week. Again, that's just internet/twitter info.

I am leaving 1/7 and getting worried too

We fly *down* to MCO on 1/7 on Delta, but our return is on 1/10 on SW. If it were just DH and me, I wouldn't be too concerned, but we're travling with our adult kids/SOs (4 total) and they all have to work the next day, so I'm wondering if I should start investigating alternatives. There were a number of decent choices when quickly looking this morning. I guess we'll take it day by day.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I read something yesterday that SW was blocking all flights for *additional* reservations in an effort to control the damage I suppose (or not add to the number of travelers to deal with). I originally read it was thru the weekend, but I suppose it's possible that they've extended that approach for another week. Again, that's just internet/twitter info.

We fly *down* to MCO on 1/7 on Delta, but our return is on 1/10 on SW. If it were just DH and me, I wouldn't be too concerned, but we're travling with our adult kids/SOs (4 total) and they all have to work the next day, so I'm wondering if I should start investigating alternatives. There were a number of decent choices when quickly looking this morning. I guess we'll take it day by day.
Yeah we have 8 people with 3 groups from 3 states so it is a lot of logistics

I’m even getting a little nervous and we don’t fly down to MCO until 1/17. Seems silly to be concerned this far out, but the mind does what it wants. We’re spending a few days at WL and then going on the Fantasy, flying home 1/28. We’re retired, so as long we get on the cruise, I can deal with any other delays. Just don’t take my bag until your sure the flight is going.

Looking to book for a spring trip. We have about 15 credits, from our last trip, yes, fares changed that much. Credits range from $6 - $22. How do I pick the highest value ones? The program just picked the first 6, leaving higher value ones down the list. I see a button that says remove. Does that remove it from the list forever or just from using it for payment that day?

thank you.

I’m even getting a little nervous and we don’t fly down to MCO until 1/17. Seems silly to be concerned this far out, but the mind does what it wants. We’re spending a few days at WL and then going on the Fantasy, flying home 1/28. We’re retired, so as long we get on the cruise, I can deal with any other delays. Just don’t take my bag until your sure the flight is going.
I'm in the same boat. Scheduled to fly MKE-MCO on SW non-stop 1/17. I just booked a backup on Delta that arrives about the same time and leaves about the same time. It will cost me an extra day of vacation time since I was planning on working a half day on each end but I need to be there 1/18 for work. Not sure which I'll cancel and which I'll keep at this point.

I just called SW for an issue unrelated to this current fiasco. I’d been putting it off and had finally resigned myself to waiting on hold for a few hours. My total call time was 5 minutes and 42 seconds. Maybe I got extremely lucky, or maybe today’s the day to call if you need a live person for help!

So DH and I were planning on a RDU-Vegas trip in mid-February, our SW flights had us going through Chi-Midway and after this weather induced disaster, it made us nervous. We contemplated other airlines but flights were ~ $1,200 and that's hard to swallow after "free' points flights with SW....

So...I cancelled Vegas this morning and we're going to FLORIDA!! Going to do 5 nights in Cocoa Beach area and get an AIRBNB...

Now, do I book direct flights with SW for just points or pay OOP for another airline? I can get direct flights on Delta for $400...

I noticed direct flights on SW from RDU-MCO have been cancelled the last few days....I get that they're using those direct flights/crews to the other flights that cover more area but what's the probability that SW will be back on track by mid-February???

Maybe I can even squeeze in a day at Disney while we're there!! EEEEKKK!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter