Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Question about modifying with a companion pass. I noticed our flights got about $30 less pp, but I couldn't modify them. Do I need to cancel the companion flight first, modify to the cheaper flight and then re-add the companion? Or is it easier to call

Yes, you need to cancel the Companion first, change the reservation and re-add the Companion. You can probably call too but in the past if a SW rep touched your reservation then you could no longer manage it yourself online. I'm not sure if that's still true though.

Question about modifying with a companion pass. I noticed our flights got about $30 less pp, but I couldn't modify them. Do I need to cancel the companion flight first, modify to the cheaper flight and then re-add the companion? Or is it easier to call

If you purchased EBCI for your companion, you’ll lose it if you cancel. If you call, they can change your fare & without cancelling the companion’s EBCI.

If you purchased EBCI for your companion, you’ll lose it if you cancel. If you call, they can change your fare & without cancelling the companion’s EBCI.
Didn't they change it now so that the companion is able to board with you? The last 4 flights he's been the number right before or after me.

Didn't they change it now so that the companion is able to board with you? The last 4 flights he's been the number right before or after me.

🤦🏻‍♀️. I totally forgot that. We haven’t had CP in a couple of years. When we did I always got EBCI for both of us.

Can someone please explain how I go about getting a credit if my flight has dropped in price?

ETA:
Never mind! I played around and was able to figure it out.

Another question - I purchased EBCI when I originally purchased the flight. Will our spot be moved back now since I rebooked or how does that work exactly?

Last edited:
Another question - I purchased EBCI when I originally purchased the flight. Will our spot be moved back now since I rebooked or how does that work exactly?
I did this for our April trip home from Orlando. My husband and I have separate SWA accounts. I bought early bird fares for our flights on the same day which 99% of the time give us sequential boarding assignments. Our flights went on sale a few weeks ago and since it was only a $3 savings, I decided to get the sale price for just one ticket. I'll let you know after April 20th to see if it changes the EB number. :)

As you can see we have a member that is gracious enough to test this for us in two weeks. We believe that changing to the same flight will keep EBCI position, but this will be empirical evidence.

I have an upcoming flight booked on points (WGA fare) that I know I won't be taking but I haven't cancelled yet.. I'm not very familiar with flying Southwest and was hoping to "practice" checking in 24 hours before to familiarize myself and also see what it would look like to purchase upgraded boarding (pending availability). I would just like to triple check here that this shouldn't be an issue? I will still be able to cancel and get my points back after checking in and looking into (but not purchasing!) upgraded boarding?

I have an upcoming flight booked on points (WGA fare) that I know I won't be taking but I haven't cancelled yet.. I'm not very familiar with flying Southwest and was hoping to "practice" checking in 24 hours before to familiarize myself and also see what it would look like to purchase upgraded boarding (pending availability). I would just like to triple check here that this shouldn't be an issue? I will still be able to cancel and get my points back after checking in and looking into (but not purchasing!) upgraded boarding?

This video from Southwest has step-by-step screen shots of the process:

Not really a question or concern, but I flew SW from MSP to STL this morning, and there were only 62 people on the plane. We had ZERO pre-boards and only one family group board. Every group or individual practically had their own row. We were boarded so early that we had to sit at the gate for 15 minutes before we could depart. It was lovely and made me want to start to fly to places other than MCO more often 😂😂.

This video from Southwest has step-by-step screen shots of the process:

Found this on Southwest's website incase someone comes across this in the future:
Is there a time limit on changes or cancellations?
Yes. You can change or cancel your flight up until 10 minutes before your scheduled departure time. For example, if you had a flight scheduled to depart at 8 a.m., you’d have until 7:50 a.m. to make changes or cancel the flight. If you do not travel and do not change or cancel, your reservation will be subject to our No-Show .
Can I make changes to my flight after I’ve already checked in?
Yes, you can make changes to your flight up until 10 minutes before scheduled departure time, even if you’ve already checked in. If you’re changing to a flight within 24 hours, be sure to check in for your new flight after you make the change. But remember, if you do not travel and do not change or cancel the flight before 10 minutes before scheduled departure, your reservation will be subject to our No-Show Policy.

It's my first time checking in at 24 hours this evening for our flight tomorrow and I'm feeling very nervous about it. I did watch the video someone posted above and I still have a few questions:

1. DD and I are on the same reservation, do I have to check us in separately?
2. Is it easier/faster to check in on the website or app?
3. I will be logged into my account a few minutes ahead of time, when it is exactly 24 hours, do I refresh and then the Check In button will appear?
4. Any other tips to share?

Sorry for the questions, I usually get EBCI so this is new to me. There was a price drop this morning and I rebooked our flight and saved 20k points but EBCI was not available for purchase since we are within 36 hours. I really appreciate your responses! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter