Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I think SWA needs to do something about their boarding process. The amount of people using pre-boarding has significantly increased in the last year or so. We fly out of Chicago Midway and our flights are usually full. The combination of pre-boards and family boarding can make an early bird purchase almost worthless when you get a B pass. I would rather have SWA limit the amount of early birds they sell rather than risk the chance of getting into the B boarding group. We ended up in the B group the last time we flew to Orlando and more than half the plane was full before we were able to board.

The other option would be a credit if you couldn't get in the A group, but I doubt that would happen.

This is just a data point re: EBCI

We are flying from BUF to MCO in 10 days. 11 flights, 10 still showing availability.

We are on the only direct flight that day which is also the only flight showing ‘Not Available’.

I just tried and could still add EBCI ($25/pp) if I wanted to.

The unknown factor is, how many people have already purchased EBCI.

Rumor says it starts on 8/15, so definitely check back for us on Tuesday!

If I need to cancel a flight, how long does it take for the Southwest credit to become available? Not a cash refund, but the SW funds credit.

The other option would be a credit if you couldn't get in the A group, but I doubt that would happen.

EBCI is written in a way that all it does is check you in early, hence "early bird check in" They do say that it doesn't guarantee getting you within a specific boarding position or boarding group. So if everyone on the plane just happened to buy EBCI before you did, then you'll get C23.

Basically, if everyone is special, then nobody is.

EBCI is written in a way that all it does is check you in early, hence "early bird check in" They do say that it doesn't guarantee getting you within a specific boarding position or boarding group. So if everyone on the plane just happened to buy EBCI before you did, then you'll get C23.

Basically, if everyone is special, then nobody is.
The service is particularly helpful if at the 24 hour mark you know you won't be able to check in, say you're on a cruise or business meeting. Our goal is simple, we want to sit together, but with everyone buying the service or using priority or family boarding, it becomes less likely. Other options would be to increase the price or to actually have assigned seats. Southwest seems to prize doing this differently than other airlines, and I understand the differentiation, but it's less and less practical. Ultimately, I bet the cheapest ticket option will not offer the service at some point.

A good point. We found out Puerto Rico is essentially all pre-boards almost zero with actual mobility issues that require a wheelchair. The FA joked with us when we said we were surprised as this is I guess just how it is and they are well aware of the large amount. It was going to and from Orlando (not our home airport). I'm not sure how many purchased EBCI for that route though so I'm not sure how that would affect this newer thing.
I have observed this several times at MCO on our way home to a different airport. I overheard the gate agent joke that the wheel chairs were lined up like the Radio City Musical Hall rockettes and another one said that miracles happen everyday at MCO!

I have observed this several times at MCO on our way home to a different airport. I overheard the gate agent joke that the wheel chairs were lined up like the Radio City Musical Hall rockettes and another one said that miracles happen everyday at MCO!
Yup, I’ve seen people who put the on quite a show when they were boarding, but were miraculously healed mid flight as they had no trouble grabbing their luggage and exiting unassisted from baggage claim. 🙄

I feel like SW needs to get a handle on family boarding. When we flew to MCO in June, we purchased EBCI and got B1-4. We were fine and able to sit together, but what got me is the large groups that were boarding together for family boarding. For example, one pre-board group consisted of mom, dad, young child (6 or under), two teens, grandma, and grandpa, and the agent at the gate didn't bat an eye. I'm not against family boarding, but it shouldn't be everyone in the travel party. Although, I'm sure those getting on with family boarding would have just saved seats anyway.

I had an email this morning from SW changing my return flight from MCO to BWI. Originally scheduled to depart at 10:30 am and they changed to 7:30 am due to "shifts in their flight schedule". That time was not convenient since we would have to leave resort at 4:30 am. I went on-line and my original flight was still available, and I was able to re-book. Will I still have the EBCI date from when I originally booked? I don't understand the reasoning for changing flight anyway?

I had an email this morning from SW changing my return flight from MCO to BWI. Originally scheduled to depart at 10:30 am and they changed to 7:30 am due to "shifts in their flight schedule". That time was not convenient since we would have to leave resort at 4:30 am. I went on-line and my original flight was still available, and I was able to re-book. Will I still have the EBCI date from when I originally booked? I don't understand the reasoning for changing flight anyway?
You're EBCI date in all likelihood reset to today as you made a voluntary flight change. What may have happened is that SW changed the flight number or equipment and instead of modifying the flight, they took the old one out and put the new one in.

You're EBCI date in all likelihood reset to today as you made a voluntary flight change. What may have happened is that SW changed the flight number or equipment and instead of modifying the flight, they took the old one out and put the new one in.
I think that's exactly it. I had the same issue-got an email from SW last night they switched a flight from MDW to MCO. I went and looked and my original flight was available still, just like PP's. But it had a different flight number. Still switched back to it because that's the flight time I wanted.

I also got a flight change, but thankfully the time was only 5 min diff in departure and arrival. Sadly none of the prices for my fights have gone down at all - only gotten more expensive.

Does anyone know if you have to pay for the difference in flight costs if you do same day standby?
It's in the FAQs on the page you linked to: "Is same-day standy free? Yes, same-day standby is free of airline charges. Customers are no longer required to pay any fare difference. However, government taxes and fees may apply but will be refunded."

It's in the FAQs on the page you linked to: "Is same-day standy free? Yes, same-day standby is free of airline charges. Customers are no longer required to pay any fare difference. However, government taxes and fees may apply but will be refunded."
Thank you, guess I should've read down further.

as long as you changed your flight (or southwest changed it) and you did not cancel and rebook I am almost 100% sure you retain your early bird checkin purchase date. If you cancel and rebook the flight then it changes to when you did that.

edit as I am incorrect so please ignore

Last edited:
as long as you changed your flight (or southwest changed it) and you did not cancel and rebook I am almost 100% sure you retain your early bird checkin purchase date. If you cancel and rebook the flight then it changes to when you did that.
This is incorrect. In the normal course, if you change your flight, the EBCI purchase changes to the date you made a change. The exception to this is if you take advantage of a price drop but don't actually change the flight. If you cancel and rebook, you lose EBCI altogether. This particular situation I would guess that the SW initiated change may have held the previous purchase date, but making the voluntary change back would have reset it. It may work out in PP's favor if everyone got dumped from that flight, they may have moved up in the EBCI order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter