Post your favorite chicken pot pie recipe

I cheat! I mix two cans of cream of chicken soup with a defrosted bag of Birds Eye Mixed Vegetables in a Pillsbury Pie Crust and cover with another pie crust. Brush some egg wash on crust and bake. Easy and yummy when you need something quick and comforting. Not the healthiest, but we all love it.

Every chicken pot pie I make is a little different, since I don't follow a set recipe.

I boil the chicken in water with salt/pepper/onion/celery. Remove the chicken and add diced potatoes and carrots to the broth, sometimes peas if I'm feeling sassy. Boil for 15 minutes.

Make a "Cream Of Chicken Soup" using some of the chicken broth, heavy cream, butter, and flour.

Shred the chicken. Mix the veggies, broth, chicken, and homemade cream of chicken soup together.

I use 2 refrigerated pie crusts. One on the bottom of the pie dish, then add the filling, then another on top; pinch it closed and then give it an egg bath.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

I usually make 6-8 of these at the time, and so quantities are hard to nail down. We have lots of elderly family nearby, and I cook for all of them on Monday nights, and this is a favorite - so I do it once a month in the winter months. Sometimes we'll have leftovers, so I'll freeze them.

I will say that it was daunting when I first decided to make chicken pot pie - seemed complicated - but it's really easy and a good choice to feed a crowd.

Same way my mom made it.

Boil chicken in chicken broth with celery, onion and poultry seasoning. You can use a whole chicken, chicken breast or thighs or whatever pieces you want really. Debone and remove skin if needed and cut up meat.

Melt a stick of butter in a skillet, add flour to make a roux. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Add broth you boiled the chicken in to make a gravy. Add a bag of peas and carrots and heat them through. Add cutup or shredded chicken meat. Pour into a casserole dish and top with a pie crust. Bake until bubbly and pie crust is brown.

You can put a second crust on the bottom if you like. Or you can use puff pastry. Some like to add melted butter to the top of the crust. I use pre made pie crust but you can make your own. You can also top with uncooked frozen or homemade biscuits and bake until they are cooked through.

I sort of do this, except I use Bisquick for the topping.

I sort of do this, except I use Bisquick for the topping.

Yep that’s another good option!

Chicken pot pie is really a very flexible dish.

I have also made everything but the crust and served it over baked biscuits. Sort of like a creamed chicken dish.

Like a previous poster I really don't follow a recipe. Of course my wife will tell you that's the way I cook everything! I can knock one out in around 45 minutes. I use raw chicken breasts, cut them up coat in seasoned flour and fry in some oil. Then I add chicken stock to make the gravy. I put onions and celery in before I add the chicken stock. I then chop potatoes, and carrots and microwave them in water to cook them. Drain them add to chicken simmer a little, put a can of peas in it and dump it into a casserole dish with cressent roll dough out of the can. Top with the dough and bake for about 20 minutes and done. Since I season the dish a little different every time and sometimes add milk to the gravy and so forth it comes out a little different but always pretty good. Might have to do one this week since it is getting cold here tonight.

I cheat! I mix two cans of cream of chicken soup with a defrosted bag of Birds Eye Mixed Vegetables in a Pillsbury Pie Crust and cover with another pie crust. Brush some egg wash on crust and bake. Easy and yummy when you need something quick and comforting. Not the healthiest, but we all love it.

That sounds similar to the Super Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe I just found. That's more for me.

I make mine by making a white sauce using chicken broth (simple - recipes are in any basic cookbook). I add cooked chicken, any frozen vegetables I like, and maybe some red pepper or something. I bake this in individual casserole dishes until bubbly hot. At the same time, I bake sheets of purchased puff pastry on cookie sheets, cut before baking to approximately fit on top of the pot pies. When the casseroles are ready, I just top each one with a puff pastry lid and serve immediately. Everybody seems to like these easy pot pies!

I make PA Dutch pot pie, which really isn't a pie at all (although I do like that kind as well). It is more of a dumpling soup, with thick homemade doughy noodles, shredded chicken (or turkey), lots of broth (or you can make a creamier soup base similar to a gravy), and potatoes. Sometimes I add corn, but normally there are not other veggies in it. You have to be careful around here, because when you order Pot Pie, this is the dish you will get, not the more traditional pot pie that has a crust.

This is great, as a soup - tastes like Chicken Pot Pie!

chicken_stew__83228.1409613153.980.500.jpg

http://www.frontiersoups.com/chicken-stew/
I ordered this, and am preparing the chicken now. Will make the soup tomorrow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter