Post your Western Cruise Excursion Reports here!!!

We had a hard time deciding what to do in Cozumel and finally settled on this one as it was a combination of snorkelling and beach time.

Our excursion started at 9:45 am, it was supposed to be 3 to 3.5 hours. After meeting in the Walt Disney Theater we were lead to the catamaran that was docked along the same pier as the Disney Wonder, so only a 3-5 minute walk away.

Upon boarding we each got vest, mask, snorkel and fins and then the catamaran circled around the Wonder (great photo opportunities) down the coast line to the snorkel spot. We passed the Carnival Dream and then stopped actually not too far beyond the Carnival ship.

There were instructions on what to do if you needed assistance and then we were lead into the water. We were instructed to jump from the side of the boat, but later I saw people using the stairs to get into the water. One of the crew members lead us along but there were plenty of other crew members around. I am not at all a snorkel expert, but I thought we did see lots of fish and also the ground was interesting. Of course there were quite a few people around us, but I did not feel crowded and I am easily annoyed by crowds. For a first time snorkeler in Caribbean waters like me it was a fantastic experience. I am not sure how long we were in the water, I would guess any time between 30 minutes and an hour, but for me time passed very quickly and I enjoyed it a lot. At one point I managed to lose my snorkel, but when I gave a sign, a crew member came over and got me the snorkel back by diving down.

When it was time to get back on board there was a photographer taking pictures of people swimming back towards the catamaran. We did not really understand what was happening and our picture looked very strange, but I saw pictures of others that looked really good. So if that is your type of thing, make sure to have your family together when you approach the boat after the snorkelling.

Once back on board, they started to hand out drinks, it was water, pepsi, some citrus soda, maragaritas and beer. The same drinks were available at the beach and then also on the way back after the beach. I thought the maragaritas were good, but not very strong.

At the beach there was another catamaran with people from the Carnival ship. But the private beach was still not at all crowded with the two catamarans. The beach is a private beach, but from what I read on the website, I kind of expected a secluded spot. It was not that at all. You could see that there were other neighbouring beaches all along the coastline. Still, it was a very nice spot with wonderful water and we even saw some more fish there. They sell burgers there and some trinkets. The drinks are all included. If you want to use the facilities, I would recommend to head there as soon as you get to the beach. They are not luxurious at all and a number of people using them when wet and full of sand did not make them nicer or cleaner.

They do have these inflatable water toys in the water that you can use as a slide or trampoline or just to climb them. I think they are ugly, but they did not distract too much from my beach experience. And a lot of people seemed to enjoy them.

Once it was time to head back, they walked along the beach collecting everyone. Getting off and on the catamaran at the beach involved wading through the water for a bit. I am not sure how deep the water was, but I think it was definitely over my knees, maybe even waist deep.

On the trip back they were playing party music and tried to encourage people to dance and they were coming around with more drinks all the time. They never pushed the alcoholic ones and often had a selection of everything in their hands and if you told them that you would like a water, they would happily bring you one.

Once we got back we realised that it was already 2:45 pm, so the excursion was much longer than advertised. I am not sure whether that is common or not. For us this was great as we had enjoyed all our time there. But for someone with other plans that might be a bit of a problem.

Overall we thought we had gotten good value for our money and had a fantastic time on this excursion. I would not hesitate to do it again as I really liked the combination of snorkelling and beach time.

Finally a few pictures:

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

Thanks for your report on the Fury. We were thinking of booking this excursion for our spring break cruise.

We did horseback riding in Cozumel. I would not do it again. The horses were tiny, the saddles were wooden and the sites were fake. We had a good time, but not worth the expense for what you get. You don't even get to trot or gallop. They went super slow.

We did Western Caribbean this past April with stops in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We did DCL excursions in both places, mostly since this was our first time cruising and wanted to be sure we made it back to the ship in time. Our children are 4, 8, and 14

Cozumel- Everyone Loves Rays...This was fun for us all. We got to feed, touch, "hold", and (if we chose to) kiss the stingrays. Lots of photos were taken by them. Then we snorkeled a bit, the kids played on the water trampoline. They also has exotic birds and reptiles they brought out and we could pet or touch or take pics with. We looked at our pics they took and decided to purchase the package which included a family photo Ina wooden frame that says Stingray Beach Cozumel Mexico and also included a disc with all the photos from that day. While we waited for that we sat on the beach at a table with umbrella, my daughter laid out in a hammock and got our complimentary soda (was so happy to see diet Pepsi LOL). We also ordered some quesadillas, nacho, and salsa and chips. We could stay as long as we liked up until like 45 mins before we had to be. Back on the ship. They paid our cab fare back to the ship. It really was a good time! I would give this a 9 outta 10.

Grand Cayman-Dolphin Experience and Turtle Farm...We wanted to actually swim more with the dolphins but the age was 5 so my 4 yr old couldn't so we did this instead. First we took a shuttle to the complex. Dolphin Discovery is on one side of the road and the turtle farm was on the other. We went to the turtle farm first but it felt rushed. My kids didn't get to do as much as they liked but figured dolphins were the highlight of this excursion so they were ok with it. We went across the road to Dolphin Discovery and got out life vests and lockers. We were separated into our groups and went to a pool like area with the dolphin we would be with. We each got to do some tricks with the dolphin. It was really amazing to see and touch them! It didn't last as long as I would like for the price we paid but my kids were ALL smiles and couldn't wait to tell all their friends and teachers about it. Then the take you into the gift shop and try to sell you photo packages. We ended up paying $200 for a (5) 5x7 pics (we got to pick one of each of us with the dolphin) and a disc of all the photos taken which I know is steep but figured it was something we would have for the kids and ourselves to look back on. Afterward they put you back on a shuttle and go back port. We shopped there then took the tender back to the ship. I probably would give this one a 7.5 outta 10.

Hope this helps :)

We were instructed to jump from the side of the boat, but later I saw people using the stairs to get into the water.

Were the stairs you used the ones shown in your one photo from the back of the ship? My mother had both knees replaced a few years ago, and jumping off the side of a boat is not her thing...

Has anyone done the dolphin experiences in Cozumel? Any preferences?

Cayman Islands - we did Rum Point Beach. The nice catamaran ride was close to an hour and part of the excursion so if you enjoy this, it was nice. Water was provided and you could purchase alcohol drinks and soft drinks. The beach itself was okay. Not enough time here and a decent lunch was provided.

Costa Maya - most of us stayed by the port to watch 5 from our group - two different times - swim with the Dolphins. This is right by the port. Bars, shopping and a nice, big pool for guests to use.

Cozumel - many of us (including me) did the Jeep Adventure/Beach excursion. This was great except that we did not need to make three extra stops. One was small (original Ensada?) town where we listened to a brief speech on the town - of course a chance for shopping. Another stop was to see a crocodile in the water. This was definitely not necessary. The third stop was the beach which was absolutely beautiful. Definitely not enough time. Lunch was served. This was all very rushed. We had another stop by a lighthouse with more opportunity to shop. This last stop and the crocodile are not necessary so one could have an extra 20 - 30 mins. at the beach. I guess they want you to shop.

In Cozumel:
DW and I rented a jeep and went out on our own. You can get away to some of the out-of-the-way places and just do what you want. If, you speak Spanish, DW is fluent, it helps as the locals will treat you special and they gave us multiple recommendations/tips/discounts/etc.

Since the wonder stays in port longer at grand cayman, does anyone think it is more worth it to do rum point beach with stingrays than say with the shorter port time of the fantasy?

What company did you use to book the Jet Ski's? How long did you actually get to ride? And what was the price? Thanks in advance. :flower3:
I was interested in this too, and found this company,
Fat Fish Adventures dot com
Looks perfect for our family. :cool1:

We went to XCaret in July during a vacation to playa del Carmen...IMO unless the excursion price is pretty good and includes everything (food, snorkeling, towels etc) it's not at all worth it. I wouldn't go back.

We went to XCaret in July during a vacation to playa del Carmen...IMO unless the excursion price is pretty good and includes everything (food, snorkeling, towels etc) it's not at all worth it. I wouldn't go back.

Tell me why you wouldn't go back. Tell me more! To go to the mainland would be almost 3 hours travel time total and if there are problems, I would want to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter