• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post your Western Cruise Excursion Reports here!!!

We were on the May 24th Western sailing on the Fantasy, which I think was the second trip the ship made to Falmouth, Jamaica. I know I read a lot of posts where people said they were just going to stay on the ship in Jamaica because of safety concerns.

We decided to do an excursion with Courtney Taylor Tours to the Blue Hole/Secret Falls. I read a ton of reviews on Tripadvisor on the Blue Hole/Secret Falls and also on Courtney Taylor Tours. All of the reviews were excellent, so I felt comfortable booking an excursion with them.

The port in Falmouth is beautiful and the vendors we encountered were not the least bit aggressive, a simple no thank you was all it took, they didn't hassle you. They have your typical souvenir shops and also a "craft" market that had some interesting items. They also had a little stand that sold Jamaican Beef Patties, they were delicious!

When we arrived we asked someone who worked within the port where we should go meet for a Courtney Taylor excursion. The lady gave us directions to the meeting spot and once there, we were promptly greeted by our tour guide the "legendary" Samantha. She is also the young lady I arranged the tour with online and via email. All of my emails were promptly answered by her. We were grouped with a couple of other families from the Fantasy. This gave us a small discount on the transportation fee to the Falls, which was nice.

She was going to be our guide to the Blue Hole/Secret Falls for the day. The shuttle bus accommodated approximately 22 people and had ice cold A/C. The ride to the Falls was about one hour and twenty minutes. It is just past Dunns River Falls. During the trip there, Samantha did an excellent job providing information and some history of Jamaica. She really did an excellent job with the 9 kids we had in our group. She even sang some Bob Marley songs and had the bus join in with her. We were all very pleased with her as the guide.

The ride to the Falls was very scenic trip through the mountains. Jamaica really is beautiful.

Once at the Falls, we were greeted by our guides there. I don't remember the names of the guys we had. Also, there was a girl who took everyone's camera in the group and took pictures for them as they climbed the Falls or jumped into the Blue Hole. The shuttle bus driver stayed behind in the shuttle and watched everyone's bags. We were one of the first groups to arrive, so we had the place to ourselves. The place was beautiful, a tropical rainforest. There is one restroom there, had a sink and toilet, very basic.

The guides also did a really good job with helping the kids and adults climb the Falls. There were various height jumps you could do into the Blue Hole. The first jump everyone did had to be at least 10 feet down. You don't have to jump if you don't want to. I will say that the water was very chilly to me, but no one else seemed to mind. I think our group spent close to two hours there.

I want to add this piece of important information, the price to go to Blue Hole only covers your admission to the property. The guides that are there to assist you, work only for tips, they do not receive pay. So tip the guides and the girl who takes the pictures for you. The amount is up to you. We also tipped Samantha and the shuttle driver.

After we left they brought us to a place called Scotchies, where we could have gotten lunch. I think this place also has great reviews. We opted not to stop and get something to eat (long story....)

Next, we stopped at a private beach, it was on the way back to the ship, but I am not sure where exactly. The wasn't an admission charge to us, but they did have a bar where you could get a drink and probably some food. It was a nice place and again we weren't bothered by anyone while we were there.

We arrived back to the port with at least two hours to spare and had enough time to browse through the shops, craft market and eat a couple of the Jamaican beef patties.

All in all, we had a great day and a wonderful time and would not hesitate to use Courtney Taylor Tours again. I am going to try and figure out how to post some pictures.

We've done the Western Caribbean cruise twice with Disney, #3 coming up next spring. We've been very happy with our excursions, with one exception. What we've done so far has been:

Cozumel:
First time we went, in 2013, we did a submarine tour of the reefs. Avoid at all costs! It was horrible. We all felt claustrophobic, everyone got seasick, the submarine was hot and humid, the taxi ride to and from was scary, and we barely even saw the reefs. It was a long excursion and the entire family was thrilled to get back to the ship. No food or drinks were available at any point during the excursion. We didn't have access to bathrooms either. Don't they look excited to be on the submarine?
IMG_4967.jpg

This year, we did the Twister Boat to Isla de Pasion. Totally AWESOME! We'll probably go again next year. The kids (DS10 and DD14) LOVED the twister boat, DW and I loved relaxing on the beach afterward. Look up the Twister boats on YouTube, they are loads of fun. On the beach we had an all-you-care-to-eat buffet of good food, open bar, and shaded tables and chairs. There was a small "market" area for shopping if you were so inclined. Our group had a guide who instructed us on the various areas of the island and tracked us down when it was time to leave. A big plus were clean bathrooms! They have a playground for small kids that was totally shaded. It was a wonderful excursion. One of my favorite parts was that the Twister Boat left right from the dock, only a few short steps away from the ship!
IsladePasion.jpg

Grand Cayman:
In 2013 we did the Dolphin Encounter and Turtle Farm. This was a wonderful excursion for the entire family! The kids loved picking up and playing with the turtles, and were totally blown away by the dolphin encounter. DS wasn't the best swimmer at the time and was very hesitant to get in the water with the dolphins, but once the first one swam up to him, all reluctance was gone. The guides were great and the dolphin trainer made sure everyone got quality time with the dolphins. Really enjoyable, we're considering this one again in March. Food and drinks were available for purchase at the destination. We were given lifejackets before getting in the water. Bathrooms were available and clean. The photo CD was ridiculously expensive.
IMG_4894.jpg

This year we went to Stingray City. The guides were terrific and did a great job teaching us about the stingrays. Several people in our group were scared of the stingrays, the guides were well prepared and addressed all of the concerns. We had some rough seas, which made standing in the water challenging, I don't recommend this excursion for little kids. They'll have a tough time in the water and mom or dad will get stuck carrying them the entire time. Interacting with the stingrays was amazing, the boat ride was very nice, and the shuttles to and from the excursion were extremely comfortable. There were snacks and drinks available for purchase at reasonable prices on the boat. They provided us with snorkel equipment if we requested it and everyone was offered a snorkel vest for floating. The boat had two bathrooms - small, but clean.
Stingray2.jpg

The other ports on our cruises have been Nassau and Costa Maya. In both instances we have opted to stay on the ship and hit the Aquaduck or just hang out at the pool.

At Castaway Cay we've reserved floats and spent our time building sand castles, eating too much, and splashing around. In March 2015 I'm determined to run the Castaway Cay 5K.

Wanted to note that we've booked all of our excursions through DCL and have been extremely pleased with their Customer Service. They have made it very easy to go on the excursions and keep things organized and relatively on time.

Also, in March 2015 I think our third stop is Key West. Does anyone have any good recommendations for excursions?

We have done the Western twice, but one was a double dip, so we did not go to Grand Cayman on that one.

Key West, we have done the aquarium, and butterfly farm. I thought this was quick and easy for kids. We would also walk down to the Blonde giraffe and get key lime pie, but I have heard it has closed.

Grand Cayman: We did the rum point beach excursion through DCL. It was a beautiful place, but that boat ride to get there is rough and fel like it took forever. We would not do this again because of it. The water was really pretty, though, and there were tons of conch shells in the ocean. Th food was REALLY expensive here.

Cozumel: we have done the ruins on our own. We took a taxi there and hired a guide. Interesting to do once. It is the temple of the fertility god so if you are wanting children the guide said to rub the stone arch there. We did not do this, two is enough for us! We got dropped off at Los Cincos Soles. It is a fabulous store for trinkets and such. It also has the best Mexican food we have ever had. Fantastic chicken enchiladas. Huge margaritas. Filtered water. On our next trip we went here again and it was just as good. From the boat to this store, there are a bunch of neat shops. I collect talavera plates and there is a giant two story store here with a great selection to choose from.

Who did you book the Grand Cayman excursion through? Sounds perfect! Do you think they let a 10 year old drive a jet ski?? She's driven a seqway in the Dominican Republic so I am sure she can handle it. Thanks!

We are going on our first Western in June and would love more information on the port adventures in Jamaica. We have been on the Eastern several times, but first Western for us. My DD (18 ) really wants to do the ATVs at Good Hope with the Ultimate Thrill Seekers package, but I do not want to zip line or ATV, so I thought I could just do the carriage ride package at Good Hope, while DH and DD do the thrill seekers package. Is this possible? Could we still go together, but do different things? Has anyone done this?

Does anyone have any opinions/advice for the "Dolphin Trainer for a Day" excursion in Cozumel??

As I write my 500th post to this web site..... I am looking for opinions on Dolphin excursions in Cozumel. I prefer DCL sponsored excursions, which was or is your favorite dolphin experience in Cozumel?? It will mainly be for our DD 14 and DS 11. TIA !!

My mom and I also did Sting Ray City and loved it! It did take quite awhile to get to a stopping point, and there were swarms of baby jelly fish! They did not sting, but were actually quite cute! Like little pink bubbles! I give it a thumbs up!:thumbsup2

We did the Cozumel Ruins and Beach tour and enjoyed it. The ruins area was larger than we expected, we drove along the coast and then went to Playa Mia beach. Take swim shoes, the shore is rocky where the sand ends at the water's edge. We enjoyed it.
My daughter, age 11 is used to tours, enjoys history, and liked it. Some of the younger kids got bored by the tour guide at the ruins and were distracting.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it in this thread. I could only read back so far.

The Amazing Race Cozumel was FABULOUS! It is not an excursion that DCL has, but great to do on your own, and still have plenty of time to shop and explore afterwards.

You can go online to book it and the people who run it are really great and provide plenty of information.

If you watch and love the AR then it's exactly what you'd expect. People of all ages were participating (kids to seniors). You can move as fast or as slow as you want. Awards at the end with free drinks and chips too.

They give everyone a cell phone in case of emergencies, but you really won't need it. People from town seemed to help out a lot too if you got confused.

Great tour. I'd share details but that would totally ruin it. ;)

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it in this thread. I could only read back so far.

The Amazing Race Cozumel was FABULOUS! It is not an excursion that DCL has, but great to do on your own, and still have plenty of time to shop and explore afterwards.

You can go online to book it and the people who run it are really great and provide plenty of information.

If you watch and love the AR then it's exactly what you'd expect. People of all ages were participating (kids to seniors). You can move as fast or as slow as you want. Awards at the end with free drinks and chips too.

They give everyone a cell phone in case of emergencies, but you really won't need it. People from town seemed to help out a lot too if you got confused.

How strenuous was it? We are older with bad knees...........

We are hoping to do this, is there a meal involved? I was quoted $79 per pp...do they pick you up from the port and cover all transportation? Is there 'anyone' to tip or did you just pay the pp fee? Can only 4 be on a team? We are a family of five, not sure if we'd have to split up? Thanks for any help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter