Pre Trip Report 702

tokyodisneydad

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone. I know you clicked on this thread for the title, so let me explain it's meaning. As of right this moment as I start this report I have 702 days before my cruise, or 702 days and 16 hours too be exact.:scared1:

Before you click that X at the right hand top of the page to exit atleast hear me out. I'm not a nut:rolleyes1 despite whatever my wife might have told you. The reason I started the Pre TR is to keep a story of the work, tears, sweat and joy that will go into this DREAM trip over the next two years. It's more for myself than anything else, but if I drag a couple of you along the way then so be it. ;) As we count down together you will get to know me and my family and if you are lucky I may take you along on a couple of mini one day TRs to my home park----TOKYO DISNEY RESORT.

Now I just heard someone in the back row mumble under their breath that there is no way I can keep a Pre TR going that long. Hey you in the back...yes Mr. Doubter...You want to make a bet?:wave: I love to write...it's a hobby. Now nowhere in that statement did I say that I was good at it, but that hasn't stopped me yet.
It's my goal to have the longest Pre TR in the history of Disboards. Believe it or not I also hope it helps someone else who is planning their trip. As you read what I am going through in planning, maybe it will help you out also. In return I hope you will share tips, questions and stories of your cruises with me.

Ok it's time to get to know me and the potential cast for this cruise. My name is Wally. I am an ESL teacher here in Japan. Originally from Georgia, but I have been here in Japan for 13 years now. I have been on one cruise prior to this one. It was on the Disney WONDER back in 2007 with my family. Here is a link to that trips TR....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1569813

The trip actually started in WDW, so you have to go through that part to get to the cruise. Also it's over 4 years old, so several pictures may no longer be there.

The daughters that are in that TR are all grown now and also will not be going on our Dec.29th 2013 DREAM cruise. Just so you know the first day of that cruise is my 45th birthday. If you are on the same cruise I expect presents.:worship::cool1::bday:

I will be taking the trip with my wife and possibly 2 other couples. We shall see. You will be introduced to everyone later so hold your horses.

This trip came about for two reasons.
1. I loved our first cruise and had planned on returning sooner rather than later, but life got in the way of that. We bought a house, girls started college etc.
2.In November last year our friend Hidemi came to our house for dinner after just returning from a two day trip to WDW. She had been on business and just had the two days. She shared her stories and then we shared ours from our trip back in 2007. We pulled out the DVDs and relived the moments.

Someone said (probably me) "Hey why don't we go on the new ship the Disney DREAM." By the end of the night and a few drinks later the date was set.:idea:

JOIN ME TOMMORROW when I tell you what I have done so far :cool1:

Ok where was I?

Oh yeah...well the next morning I woke up with a headache and a vague memory of setting some dates to go on a Disney Cruise. I open up the computer and the DCL site and see a 4 night cruise leaving Port Canaveral on my birthday...Dec.29th 2013....I realize I will be 45 years old on that day.:eek:. :scared1: I then open up my email and send off a quick email to my Travel Consultant. Her name is Marsha and if there is anyone better at her job I can't imagine. She set up our first family trip to WDW way back in 2005 and then our WDW/Cruise vacation in 2007. She is amazing and has helped me out every step of the way each time. When I have had problems like lost onboard credit, she fixed it. Add in the fact that she lives on the east coast USA and I live 14,000 miles away, as well as that I am a planner and worrier about everything, I am amazed she hasn't refused to work with me as a client. In fact it is just the opposite....she answers every question I have and calms every worry.
Anyhow...I get a mail back from her the very next day with a quote and some details....oh yeah I forgot to tell you something....all we wanted was an inside stateroom with the new virtual porthole. Well my jaw dropped at the price:sad2: I had not factored in the fact that it being a New Year's cruise the price would be jacked up so high.
Did this fact deter me?? if you think so then you don't know me well enough yet....(Don't worry we still have 701 days to get to know each other. ) I sat down and talked briefly with my wife and then I sat down and figured out how I could pay for this. Without jumping ahead in the story, we as a family have alot of other expenses to consider....two daughters in college, a fairly new house to pay for, my medical costs, retirement etc. as for retirement--we have retirement plans and savings, but one can never have enough to feel safe. My wife worries about that more than me. My plan is that when I get old enough to retire I just need the price of a shovel. That way I can dig my own grave and jump in.
Well after figuring out that with hard work and some small sacrifices that this trip was indeed doable..(is that a word?), I began my research and planning. I came to disboards and began reading TRs left and right. I began reviewing knowledge I had from our last trip and updating that knowledge about the Disney DREAM.
After mailing my friend Hidemi about details, she let me know that her friend Maki may want to go. I said sure the more the merrier. we set up a dinner at my house for Jan.11th to plan, talk about deposits and for me to answer questions.
One thing about me is when it comes to Disney I am the planner. My wife sits back and let's me do all the work. I have never let her down. Even if it's just a day trip to Tokyo Disney SEA or a 10 day vacation to WDW and a cruise, I plan....and plan...and plan. Do I over plan?...yes. I am sure there is some disorder classification for the amount I plan, but for me it is half the fun. Am I flexible about my plans?...Yes I have no problem if a plan changes. I am flexible and it is just nice to have the knowledge that I learn while planning.
Well it was time to get ready for the meeting and trust me when I say get ready I mean ready. :dance3: I was prepared for any question that may be asked and then some.

Join me next time when I tell you about my 4 hour lecture...I mean meeting about our Disney Cruise.:cheer2:

Ok I am back.....hmmm...still no followers Maybe it's the title?? What do you think?

Anyway, January 11th came and we were set to have our first meeting about a possible cruise on the DREAM for New Years next year--2013-2014.

I cooked dinner --pasta,meatballs, garlic bread and salad. It was me, my angel (wife-Kiyomi), good friend Hidemi and Hidemi's friend Maki. Hidemi's boyfriend and Maki's husband opted to skip out this time. That was fine because it is still early.
During our dinner my two poodles reenacted the pasta scene from Lady and the Tramp.This put everyone in the mood to discuss Disney.
Tonight's main purpose was to discuss the cruise portion of the trip, especially costs and when to pay a deposit.
The ladies had a little sticker shock when I told them the price. I pointed out that it is a New Years cruise afterall. I also pointed out that because of the time of year that no one needed to take time off from work as it's a holiday anyway. Finally justified the cost by stating the current yen versus dollar situation. The dollar is very weak and the yen is strong so we save alot.

Back in 2007 I paid 1400$ for an inside cabin on the Wonder for the same cruise route as the Dream now. But in 2007 the yen rate was 1$ = 126 yen. This means in yen we paid 176,400 yen. Next years cruise is going to cost 2150$ for an inside room but at the current yen rate of 1$ = 77 yen, we only pay 165,500 yen. So dollar wise it is more expensive than our last cruise, but yen wise it is actually cheaper. I'm sorry the economy is so bad in the USA, but it's a great chance for me.

Well this convinced my wife and Hidemi of it being a great deal. Maki is still not sure, but she was iffy in the first place.

We spent the next 3 hours talking about the ship, the cruise, the food and looking at pictures of the Dream.

Join me next time....Can I wait to May to pay a deposit? Do I really want another inside stateroom?:rolleyes:

I'm really glad you are joining in. Thank you!!:worship:

I see U will go on the Fantasy before I make it on to the Dream.:woohoo:

This is true...everyone thought I was crazy with a 400ish day countdown. I will now use your 2 year countdown as evidence that I am in good company on the dis! ;)

:cool1: Woo Hoo two new people joining in..including a fellow NYE cruiser for next year.

:dance3: Ok I have been dancing ever since this cruise started developing into a probable reality. Ican't get enough of trip reports or just reading information.
So about a week ago I was reading through the official DCL site and just checking prices. Suddenly I noticed that there was only a 128$ difference between Inside and Ocean view...I translated that to yen in my head...hmmm let's see 9800 yen..heck I spend about that much when I have a nice dinner out with a few drinks.
Wait a minute what are these rooms with the large portholes....hmmm...about 16,000 yen difference....well heck I paid 20,000 for WWE ringside tickets in Yokohama.
Hold on ...hold on..... two large portholes are better than one. Look at this WOW:banana: ...That room looks like a mini suite with that divider in the middle....350$ or 26000 yen difference....heck I spend that much on a day trip to Tokyo Disney Sea. Ok that is the room for me.

That is how just 3 days later I had paid a deposit and reserved room #5022 on the Disney Dream. Here is a link to a video of my room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcI-5aSfYds&feature=player_embedded

Now you ask why I didn't go on up to a verandah. Well two reasons.

1. I am terrified of high places. On deck I am ok as long as I don't stand near the rail, but even our old apartment on the 5th floor I hated going out on the balcony. Thank God we bought a house.

and
2. How to justify the extra cost to the wife:rolleyes1
:idea: I won't tell her and just say "SURPRISE!!" when we get on the ship.
Now I hope you can keep that a secret. She won't notice since I'm in charge of planning:rotfl2:

Though I want to see the virtual porthole --I figure someone else in my group will get that room and let me peek. We will see...if not someone in my Dis group may let me look.

Ok That's all for tonight...next time we will talk about my Dis group and FE gifts.

:woohoo:

So, I decided to go back in time and read your marvelous TR from 2007. Can I just say you have a beautiful family and had an amazing trip BUT I did feel jilted that I have missed 4+ years of your life!

That being said, excited for you. We sail on the fantasy in a few months and I too was tempted to upgrade but have such fabulous neighbors, can't do it. I promise to tell you all about the virtual porthole!

Can't wait for more!!!!
Mati

So, I decided to go back in time and read your marvelous TR from 2007. Can I just say you have a beautiful family and had an amazing trip BUT I did feel jilted that I have missed 4+ years of your life!

That being said, excited for you. We sail on the fantasy in a few months and I too was tempted to upgrade but have such fabulous neighbors, can't do it. I promise to tell you all about the virtual porthole!

Can't wait for more!!!!
Mati

Looking forward to hearing about the virtual porthole. Thanks for going back and reading my 2007 trip report. That was a WONDERful trip with a few bumps and bruises.:scared1:
My oldest is now 20 and just recently had her Coming of Age ceremony. Here is a picture of that day with daddy.

untitled-4-1.jpg

My youngest just got her driver's license 2 days ago (18 is the age here) :eek:

Anyway --sorry I didn't post yesterday. I actually was able to go here...

mg2177hdrcleancustomyx2.jpg

*borrowed picture as I have been to Tokyo Disney SEA so much I rarely take pictures at this point.*

*coming up soon my pre TR continues

Ok I'm back. Let's go back in time just a little. Back in November after deciding to go on the cruise i started looking here everyday. Well one thing I was watching for was to see if someone would start a Dis meet group. I tried to wait, I really did. I didn't want to be the one to start the thread. I mean to be honest I won't have time to organize a meet on board. I have to take care of my group of 6. Having said that I wanted to see who else was going. If there is a meet I will be stopping by to say hello to everyone. In 2007 there was a meet, but it was my first cruise. We got on the ship late and I was having a hard time finding my way around. I missed it and was really disappointed. This time it is on my to do list of things that I really want to do.

While we countdown I hope to get to know my fellow cruisers and I hope they get to know me.

Another thing on my list of to do's is the FE gift exchange. Last cruise I totally misunderstood the point and how to do it. I actually took a FE and FE gifts. What I didn't realize was that you had to sign up to participate....I thought it was randem gift exchange.
I took gifts from Japan and placed them in Fish Extenders around the ship. now that I think about it I don't even know if those people were Dis'ers or not. Well we never got anything in return and I was disappointed, but atleast now I know why.
I understand how it works now and will definitely participate. On the other hand I am a bit worried about what I can offer as gifts. I mean I will be traveling 14000 miles to get there and will have limited space. We shall see.

Anyway...that's it for today. If anyone has questions about my day trip to Tokyo Disney SEA yesterday feel free to ask.:banana:

It's been a few days since I updated anything. I think that guy in the back thought he was going to win the bet.:lmao: Well not quite yet.

I will say one thing peoplesure are slow updating their TRs:rotfl2: They really shouldn't let little things like jobs and real life get in the way of entertaining me. I'm just kidding....mine took months to finish.

Well it's all planning now. What are my list of worries? Alot to be honest. I won't relax until the week after the trip, but hey that's my personality.
It doesn't mean that I am not having the time of my life. For today let's list two though. Not necessarily in any order of level of worry.

1. My weight...Ok I sound like a teenage girl before prom, but to be honest I haven't been happy with my weight in quite awhile now. I am also very aware of my looks when in a swimsuit. White as a ghost and big as whale. Iam 6'1 (almost) and 103 kilos or about 234 pounds, most of it in the belly.

Backstory needed here.....:goodvibes let the scene fade back to 2007. In your mind see a bright light reflecting off the sand on the family beach at Castaway Cay. Got the picture? Now as you get closer you will notice that it is just the sun reflecting off my pale (Irish) skin. Imagine Sheamus from WWE...if you are a WWE fan.Minus the red hair. Anyway, if you listen closely you may hear sounds of Jimmy Buffet coming through headphones attached to this shiny masses head. As you move down the beach protecting your eyes, you finally notice the outlines of 4 small children between the ages of 6-10. (Not Mine) In their little hands two of them hold buckets like those usually used for building sandcastles. These two are running back and forth to the waters edge, filling the buckets with sea water and then running back and dumping the water on the large, shiny object. The other two are behind the object pushing with all their might. Now let's listen in to what they are saying.popcorn::
Bucket Boy A: "Hurry!! It's dying out!!"
Bucket Boy B: "Pour the water in the blowhole." (AKA belly button)
Pusher A: "Boy is this whale heavy."
Pusher B: Push harder. We only have a little further before it's back in the water."
Bucket Boy B\\(the 10 year old): "It must have been migrating north when it got beached here on Castaway Cay."

*Fade back out.:goodvibes*
I think you get the point. Yes I try and fail many times to lose weight. I'm not so serious about it at this moment, but as the cruise gets closer it could be problem. I will update you from time to time. If I fail though please teach your little ones the difference between a humpback whale and an overeating sunbather.:rotfl:

Ok worry 2.

To Fish Extender or Not to Fish Extender??? This question presents it's own set of worries.

1. My FE will not be as fancy looking as most I have seen here. I want it to be and in the end may be able to convince my wife to make it...oops never mind I just asked and she said no. I will ask again as it gets closer, but I have better chance of getting a free upgrade to The Disney Suite. So if I do it please don't laugh at my FE.
2.How can I get the gifts all the way from Japan to the ship. Not a BIG problem, but it is a concern.
3. As you know I am not crafty, so I won't be able to give those wonderful homemade gifts like I see on here. What can I give that people will like and not think I am a cheapskate?:eek:
4. How can I get my gifts that I recieve back home without too much trouble....especially I will be going to the parks after the cruise.

I have more worries and will share them as we countdown. It is your job to talk me down off the ledge each time. See you in a few days.:dance3:

Love your writing style.:goodvibes

FE's are fun to do - always a fun way to end your day....seeing what u recveived.

I am here - just updated my DCl blog.....I am begining now to turn my attention to my NYC adventure (Sept).popcorn::

T.T.F.N.

:scared1:Ok I am back. thanks to those who continue to follow and those who are just peeking once in awhile.

This update is not so much about the cruise, but instead something that could effect the cruise.

Yesterday my oldest daughter was home at the same time as everyone else. this is unusual as her schedule is usually late at night in Roppongi. The wife and daughters were watching a program about skiing in Nagano. I am sitting nearby on the computer, of course reading TRs about the cruise. Suddenly I hear...."Let's take a family ski trip!!" I think it was my oldest daughter.
My mind went ...huh?? Uuuhhh no. Of course I didn't say anything out loud, but instantly two things went through my mind.

1. Who is going to pay for this? ...well after listening a little longer I found out that I was expected to pay for it. I don't mind taking my family somewhere, but a ski trip is very expensive here. If I pay, that will cut into my cruise budget.:scared1:
Also I believe in teaching my kids responsibility. They are 18 and 20 years old and both have jobs. They have NO financial obligaions at home. This is a sore spot between my wife and I. When I was growing up I was paying everything on my own by the time I was 16. I don't mind spoiling my girls, but they are beyond spoiled at times and have no clue about finances. My wife on the other hand believes that we should pay it all as long as they live in our house

2. Don't they remember I am scared of high places. I like skiing as long as I am on the kid's slopes, but out of the 4 times that I have been skiing in my life, I have had to be rescued 3 times. I just found myself in a spot that caused a panic attack and the rescue team had to come and get me.

Basically I am going to be quiet and see if this passes. If it doesn't i may just tell them to take a trip together. I can package it as a mother daughter outing.:)

We will see.

Oh by the way I found my first FE gifts. If I change my mind I can always send them to my nieces and nephews.:rolleyes1

For anyone counting there are 688 days left until I get on the DREAM. I have now started going back and reading older TRs. I am beginning to change my mind about a few things. One is when to fly in from Japan. Originally I had planned to fly in on the 28th and stay one night in a WDW resort. Than after the cruise we would return to the parks for3-4 extra days. The 28th we would just got to Down Town Disney. Now after reading a TR of a family that traveled a similiar distance, I am rethinking things. I t may be better to fly in on the 27th. A few advantages to this. 1. More JET LAG adjustment time before the cruise. 2. Will not have to pay the extra charge to fly on a weekend. 3. The friend who is only doing the cruise portion could in theory enjoy one park day on the 28th. Any thoughts?

I guess it will depend on what my Travel Agent answers when I ask her a few questions about this possible option.:confused3

By the way GOOD NEWS...seems that the ski trip has been forgotten....atleast the subject has not come back up. I'm not going to mention it and would appreciate it if you didn't either.:flower3:

Now I am sending off a few PMs to folks to ask some questions. One is about Palo. Specifically how much to tip...that is if I can get my reservation. (Another worry) The tipping problem comes from a few factors....Japan is a NON tip society...you just don't tip here for anything. Because of this I have no idea what is proper etiquette. Also I have heard the 20$ per person extra charge is meant to cover the tip. well with two of us that is 40$ tip....that seems like a good tip to me. I mean how much more is enough. I would never tip 40$ for one meal for two people in another situation. Of course I don't eat in high fashion either. However I have heard that others tip beyond the 40$. One person even said 50$ tip extra. I'm not a scrooge, but :scared1: If that is what is expected I may stick with not trying Palo. There is NO WAY I would even consider Remys. I'm a teacher not a Dr. or Lawyer.
The maost common answer has been "Tip what you feel." Well that doesn't help very much.:headache:

Oh by the way I came up with a unique idea for a FE gift. If it works out I think my group will like it.:dance3::banana:

One is about Palo. Specifically how much to tip...that is if I can get my reservation. (Another worry) The tipping problem comes from a few factors....Japan is a NON tip society...you just don't tip here for anything. Because of this I have no idea what is proper etiquette. Also I have heard the 20$ per person extra charge is meant to cover the tip. well with two of us that is 40$ tip....that seems like a good tip to me. I mean how much more is enough. I would never tip 40$ for one meal for two people in another situation. Of course I don't eat in high fashion either. However I have heard that others tip beyond the 40$. One person even said 50$ tip extra. I'm not a scrooge, but :scared1: If that is what is expected I may stick with not trying Palo. There is NO WAY I would even consider Remys. I'm a teacher not a Dr. or Lawyer.
The maost common answer has been "Tip what you feel." Well that doesn't help very much.:headache:

So I have seen several people ask this question and no one ever seems to "give it up" on the boards. To simplify, I will tell you we did tip $50 in addition to the $40 charge. My reasoning - somewhere on the boards, someone broke down how much the servers get out of the $40 and it was not very much at all. I'm trying to remember exactly how much, but it seems it was in the neighborhood of $5 to $8. That in addition to the lower wages I know they are paid made me tip extra. Now, as far as how much extra, we were at Palo for a couple hours and we were the servers only table...and we had AMAZING service. Better service than I have ever experienced at a restaurant! The rest of my reasoning related to my perceived value of the meal. I took what I thought a similar meal of that caliber would cost us, subtracted the $40 and came up with about $50. I'm not sure if this is high or low compared to others, but hopefully explaining my thought process will help. :hug:

Nice post so far. I might make one recommendation to you. If you do some research on this website, you might research the order people like first, WDW - Cruise or Cruise then WDW. Especially for the money you are going to pay. From what I have read, after the cruise there is a mojor let down when they go to the parks after the cruise. You might even take a survey to find out chich to do first. Especially with the jetlag I would rather get used to the time difference on WDW and save the cruise for the downtime afterwards. I have done a couple of trip reports, you can check them if you want and if you have questions you can let me know.

So I have seen several people ask this question and no one ever seems to "give it up" on the boards. To simplify, I will tell you we did tip $50 in addition to the $40 charge. My reasoning - somewhere on the boards, someone broke down how much the servers get out of the $40 and it was not very much at all. I'm trying to remember exactly how much, but it seems it was in the neighborhood of $5 to $8. That in addition to the lower wages I know they are paid made me tip extra. Now, as far as how much extra, we were at Palo for a couple hours and we were the servers only table...and we had AMAZING service. Better service than I have ever experienced at a restaurant! The rest of my reasoning related to my perceived value of the meal. I took what I thought a similar meal of that caliber would cost us, subtracted the $40 and came up with about $50. I'm not sure if this is high or low compared to others, but hopefully explaining my thought process will help. :hug:
Thanks for being straight with me. I am going to have to think seriously about it. I can see your point though about why. It may not matter anyway as I have heard it is difficult to get a brunch ressie.
Nice post so far. I might make one recommendation to you. If you do some research on this website, you might research the order people like first, WDW - Cruise or Cruise then WDW. Especially for the money you are going to pay. From what I have read, after the cruise there is a mojor let down when they go to the parks after the cruise. You might even take a survey to find out chich to do first. Especially with the jetlag I would rather get used to the time difference on WDW and save the cruise for the downtime afterwards. I have done a couple of trip reports, you can check them if you want and if you have questions you can let me know.
Thanks for the advice. where can I read your TRs?

Ok today's frustration and planning thoughts.

Frustration I had my sister order the free cruise planning video from the DCL sight. I can't order it over here in Japan, but I do have a DVD player that will play it. The plan was for her to order it and then send it to me. She has now tried twice and still has yet to recieve one.

Planning thought for the day. How to ge from the Pop century to the port. Well the original plan was to take Disney Bus and that is still currently the plan, but I have some other thoughts....opinions.

Bus gets there later than I want. Bus doesn't stop at a store. I don't need much...just a bottle of Captain Morgans and maybe some beer for the wife. Limo is actually cheaper if all of us split the cost.
Then I have read some nightmare stories about limos, or other companies...any thoughts everyone?

Does anybody know the price of a bottle of Captain Morgans on the boat? It would proabably still be cheaper than in Japan. Just to give you something to compare it to ...I buy a liter bottle of CM Premium for about 60$ over here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter