• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Predictions or rumors about Magic 2023 dry dock?

That’s good to hear! I always kind of wonder if the complaints are glaring issues or just people being persnickety- it’s good to be aware of potential issues, but I’m also not going to be going out of my way looking for problems.
As an update: at least a few families sailing at the concierge level received a personal apology from an officer and a percentage off their cruise for the state of their rooms. Other families on the ship received credits to their account for the state of their rooms/the ship (many reported water issues/flooding in their rooms).

Everyone has a different experience/perception of the ship. We were disappointed; others might not be. Hopefully, they’ll fix the water and AC problems soon.

As an update: at least a few families sailing at the concierge level received a personal apology from an officer and a percentage off their cruise for the state of their rooms. Other families on the ship received credits to their account for the state of their rooms/the ship (many reported water issues/flooding in their rooms).

Everyone has a different experience/perception of the ship. We were disappointed; others might not be. Hopefully, they’ll fix the water and AC problems soon.
I'm not sure how common those onboard credits were. The water issue in our room was bad enough that they moved us out of it for the last two nights so they could make repairs and pull up the carpet. We did not receive any additional discount or credit.

Oh my! That doesn’t sound good at all 😕

I'm not sure how common those onboard credits were. The water issue in our room was bad enough that they moved us out of it for the last two nights so they could make repairs and pull up the carpet. We did not receive any additional discount or credit.
When did you cruise?

When did you cruise?
May 5-13. Just got back yesterday. We were lucky that although the leak was a nuisance it did not impact our overall enjoyment of the cruise too much. Others had issues that I think would have impacted their trip more. I felt like Management was very nice in trying to fix it for us and I got the impression that they were very overwhelmed with issues that they just didn’t have the resources to fix quickly enough. There were rumors that some of the labor planned for the dry dock did not show up so they were not able to fully complete all the work they planned. They were still working on a lot during the cruise. The staff on the cruise was amazing and I felt bad about all the complaints they had to deal with. I also felt bad for the passengers who experienced issues that impacted their cruise more. I’m frustrated with Disney Cruise line for booking the ship rooms so full by offering so many discounts and cast member rates for this sailing. I think the sailing could have gone much smoother if they had set aside more vacant rooms for this first sailing that they could have moved people to if they had issues. I got the impression that the reason we were able to move is that a room occupied by an executive or a guest entertainer opened up part way through the sailing.

May 5-13. Just got back yesterday. We were lucky that although the leak was a nuisance it did not impact our overall enjoyment of the cruise too much. Others had issues that I think would have impacted their trip more. I felt like Management was very nice in trying to fix it for us and I got the impression that they were very overwhelmed with issues that they just didn’t have the resources to fix quickly enough. There were rumors that some of the labor planned for the dry dock did not show up so they were not able to fully complete all the work they planned. They were still working on a lot during the cruise. The staff on the cruise was amazing and I felt bad about all the complaints they had to deal with. I also felt bad for the passengers who experienced issues that impacted their cruise more. I’m frustrated with Disney Cruise line for booking the ship rooms so full by offering so many discounts and cast member rates for this sailing. I think the sailing could have gone much smoother if they had set aside more vacant rooms for this first sailing that they could have moved people to if they had issues. I got the impression that the reason we were able to move is that a room occupied by an executive or a guest entertainer opened up part way through the sailing.
Thanks for the follow-up..👍

Super confused about the hate it’s getting. The old lounge was a waste of space and always empty. Does “classic ocean liner feel” mean anything when no one uses the space?

This looks like a big improvement to me
I used classic ocean liner to describe my memory of the old marble floor (and was it that or was it carpeted? Well, photos of the Fantasy’s MV shows a marble floor and velvet curtains in the Promenade. And looks like some grandma’s house.). So I am more accepting of this changeover after a knee jerk first reaction.

I took these two photos; tried to capture a little different view than what I remembered seeing when I read this thread pre-cruise.

IMG_7491.jpeg
IMG_7493.jpeg

I don’t think the stools are intended to get a lot of drinking action. They still have a functioning bar area. There is no lip/ countertop where these stools are. Not even easy to use for writing on. I never saw the stools out of line; they probably are bolted down. And only a few people ever sitting on them.

The small wooden dance floor + piano on a raised platform are in the same place, between the “bar” and this sitting area.

I only walked by this area and did not notice the chair and table sets. I would imagine the former upholstered chairs would have been more comfortable.

And I would have not understood the name and its reference if I had not been told. It is just a very nondescript venue for me.

I’m baffled by the hate when the old promenade lounge looked outdated like a mall from the 90’s. While the seats are a downgrade, I’m actually glad they removed the ones by the windows as it had a tendency to feel crowded during dining times.

Reading this, I realize it was easier to walk down the promenade without having to weave around chairs and feet sticking out.

My Prediction

By the end of 8 nights on a ship just out of dry dock , I made a prediction that the Magic will be gone within 5 years. Sold to a discount European or Asian cruise line or scrapped. When the 3rd Wish class ship comes out, the fleet will be able to handle the destinations Disney is visiting - without the Magic - with the Wonder not far behind.

There was no glaring, obvious issue. It is just the realization that a ship celebrating its 25th anniversary is just getting harder to maintain. And it truly is starting to look outdated and not so fresh. (The dining rooms looked really nice - better than my memory of them.) The life of a typical cruise ship is 25-30 years.

I have heard no rumors; nothing mentioned in the CC Reception. Just my ideas.

It’ll be interesting to see how my prognostication turns out.

On past cruises on the Magic/Wonder, very evening before late dinner the Promenade Lounge was always full. Yes, during the day not so much unless there was an animation or trivia class going on but in the evenings it was always full.

Its hard to really guess how many rooms will have problems before hand. These cruises are booked months in advance. They wouldn't know about workers not showing up for the dry dock until it was too late.

Plus how would they know how many rooms will have problems. Maybe many of the vacant rooms also had issues.

The more vacant rooms the less money DCL is making so their goal is to accommodate all of their guests and to make as much money per cruise as possible. Big balancing act for sure
My Prediction

By the end of 8 nights on a ship just out of dry dock , I made a prediction that the Magic will be gone within 5 years. Sold to a discount European or Asian cruise line or scrapped. When the 3rd Wish class ship comes out, the fleet will be able to handle the destinations Disney is visiting - without the Magic - with the Wonder not far behind.

There was no glaring, obvious issue. It is just the realization that a ship celebrating its 25th anniversary is just getting harder to maintain. And it truly is starting to look outdated and not so fresh. (The dining rooms looked really nice - better than my memory of them.) The life of a typical cruise ship is 25-30 years.

I have heard no rumors; nothing mentioned in the CC Reception. Just my ideas.

It’ll be interesting to see how my prognostication turns out.
I have been thinking this as well. Obviously, no facts or anything behind it but I do worry the Magic and Wonder will be removed from the rotation. DCL does take much better care of their ships than other cruiselines so I bet in the next 5 years they'll announce something about them retiring.

That's a big reason why I jumped in and picked the Magic for my husband and I's 10 year anniversary. I was going to book the Fantasy but I really want to sail on all the ships. Depending on where the wonder is Fall 2024-2025 I'm trying to book her too!

I just got off the first Magic post-dry dock sailing as well.

Overall, we had an excellent trip. From a ship maintenance perspective, there were definitely things that needed repair that they ran out of time to do in dry dock. AC was fine in my room but clearly struggling in elevators and certain parts of cabanas. The soda and ice cream machines were down for the first day or so, but then promptly fixed. There was weird wet staining on some carpeted areas and the public restroom on my deck was out of service almost every day (and I suspect the cause of the carpet coloration..). The elevator touch screens were a bit finicky. 2/3 shows had technical issues that caused the performance to be paused, but the cast handled it like absolute professionals both times.

I really could not have asked more of any cast member on board, it was clear everyone was working really, really hard to finish things/do the best they could with what they had.

Some guests did receive stateroom credits for the inconveniences, but you had to really, really push for them and people were being uncomfortably hostile at guest services. I personally sent an email to DCL while still onboard, and found that to be a better option as they forwarded it to guest services management. I'm not usually one to complain, and only did so after a broken metal piece in a public restroom cut my elbow and I wanted to ensure it was fixed because guest services kind of brushed me of when I first reported it. Management assured me maintenance would be on it, offered medical assistance (not necessary, I cleaned it up with my packed first aid kit - always bring one guys!!), and kindly offered a credit for the trouble since I mentioned I wouldn't be able to use the pool that day due to the open cut. I went back to check after a few hours and they had fixed the issue which is what I really wanted so nobody else got hurt, so all ended well. I literally was contacted by management a few hours after sending the corporate email, so they were on top of things despite a very long guest services line!

I'm set to sail the Magic again in a few weeks and have no concerns. It is clear they are working very, very hard to finish up the remaining work and I'm sure the ship will be back in Disney shape shortly.

That happened on the October NYC to San Juan repositioning cruise, too. Only the third show went off without a pause for technical troubles.
The joys of live theater! It happens. Cast did a great job handling it on our sailing.

We are sailing on the Magic in January, assuming the AC issues get fixed.

We've been on all the other ships, and the Wonder is our favorite (Wish is least favorite by far). I'm sad to think they might let the two classic/smaller ships go.

Its hard to really guess how many rooms will have problems before hand. These cruises are booked months in advance. They wouldn't know about workers not showing up for the dry dock until it was too late.

Plus how would they know how many rooms will have problems. Maybe many of the vacant rooms also had issues.

The more vacant rooms the less money DCL is making so their goal is to accommodate all of their guests and to make as much money per cruise as possible. Big balancing act for sure

I have been thinking this as well. Obviously, no facts or anything behind it but I do worry the Magic and Wonder will be removed from the rotation. DCL does take much better care of their ships than other cruiselines so I bet in the next 5 years they'll announce something about them retiring.

That's a big reason why I jumped in and picked the Magic for my husband and I's 10 year anniversary. I was going to book the Fantasy but I really want to sail on all the ships. Depending on where the wonder is Fall 2024-2025 I'm trying to book her too!
I read how we were “complaining“ too much (By fellow cruisers). In actuality, people were pointing at objective problems - not subjective, like whether the food, service, or entertainment was something they liked. Issues like non-functioning A/C, dripping water, painted over air vents or covered up windows.

My issues were pretty much organizational / procedures - for things that have been part of DCL for decades (and now can say that without being hyperbole). The procedure for alcohol purchase pick-up should be a system that does need reinventing unless It makes it better - not disorganized and slower. An invitation to a CC party for 10:30 should not have a start time of 11, announced 25 minutes after everyone but stragglers has been sitting and waiting.

For those who suggested the dry dock issues were unforeseen and due to lack of workers being available / present, this seems to be a longstanding problem for many Maiden Voyages and dry docks, too. We guests excuse it because we are so excited for our cruise.

But it is a business. It’s time to build in some extra time after work is scheduled to be done to get the ship ready for guests. We know there will always be maintenance going on, but it does not have the same impact - and it is what keeps the ships looking good and running well. It does not have to be more days at the high cost of the shipyard. Just do it before you put on paying passengers. Ours was a planned dry dock - not a response to a sudden issue.

(And I kept saying I was having a good time. I only went to Guest Services when they promised delivery of our CC gifts but did not follow-through in the time they stated.)

It was nice to see Palo with a full staff (it seemed). Last year, there were few guests and few servers.

Our server gave a very clear explanation of Prix Fixe vs a la carte pricing in relation to our CC credit. (Bottom line, you pay the auto gratuity on a la carte items. No autogratuity if opting for the Prix Fixe (Yes, this is French; I can’t remember the Italian words 😅).

4AC7A97D-804A-4068-B6B3-343966CC69E0.jpeg
Just received this email about my upcoming Magic cruise and is is true that the staterooms now have Disney+?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter