Pregnancy struggle + planning WDW trip

artemis908

EPCOTnaut
So I am going to get personal here for a moment. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for three years and no luck. I got surgery last summer that improved things slightly, but still no baby. I am still getting treatment and had been holding off planning a trip. We can afford it, I just was afraid to get pregnant and be at the parks. So I finally decided I really wanted a trip and saw a good deal for us in November and booked it.

I don't plan on stopping my fertility treatment but in the back of my head I wonder what if I get pregnant before now and then. Would it be so bad? Does anyone have experience being pregnant at WDW? I just would hate to miss out on all of the rides, particularly Splash Mountain since it was closed last time we were there.

I went to WDW when I was 16 weeks pregnant and had a great time. While I was sad to miss out on some of the rides, I had a great time sampling all kinds of good snacks in World Showcase. It was also really fun to shop for Disney items for the baby. It was definitely a different trip, but still fun. I took breaks when I needed and drank a lot of water. Good luck with everything!

Every OB is different. However, I went when I was pregnant with my son and my OB said that riding Splash would be fine. My OB is a Disney nut and goes all of time and so when I mentioned rides to her, she actually knew what I was talking about. She said that Splash is not jerky like a roller coaster and would be fine. It was fun being pregnant at WDW because I could look at all of the little kids and imagine bringing my child there when they were 2 or 3, etc. Just listen to your OB and have a great trip!

I went when I was 20 weeks pregnant and was miserable. It was August though and incredibly hot.
I just hated not being able to ride my favorite rides with my family.

It was fun eating and shopping for baby though. And, we were able to recreate some of the pregnant Photopass pictures with our little guy once he was born. We brought him when he was 3 months old last month. :)

My first piece of advice from someone who has been there is to not stop living your life because you "might" be pregnant. I look back on those years and I can't believe the stuff I missed out on.

If you got pregnant right now you'd be on the verge of 3rd trimester in November. All pregnancies are different but I was at Disney my whole pregnancy because we lived there. It was fun looking around at the kids and thinking about bringing our baby there when he was born. You'll be able to ride most rides. I avoided all rides with warnings for pregnant women. I know other women are more adventurous but with what we went through to get pregnant, I wasn't willing to chance it.

If DH wanted to ride something I couldn't I would just sit and people watch. It was actually very enjoyable.

I went when I was 10 weeks pregnant with morning sickness in August. Not the best, but you are in Disney. Didn't ride hardly anything, but going back in September (with my 18 month old) and will catch up on what I missed last visit. Good luck with your treatments!!!!

First of all let me say, I'm so sorry you are having difficulty getting pregnant. I've been there, we tried for 7 years before I had a successful pregnancy. My advice is to definitely not put your life on hold and live. Enjoy vacations and time alone with your DH. Like PP, I missed out on so much life during those years. I have been to Disney pregnant, but didn't know it yet. That surprise came the day after we got home! So, I rode everything, did it all and now have a very energetic 2.5 year old. Had I known, I was pregnant I wouldn't have done all that but there is so much you CAN do at Disney. There are really very few rides with pregnancy warnings and so much eating you could do! I say, plan away and enjoy!

I am very sorry about your fertility problems. I also had trouble having a baby for 3 years. My problem was a bit different as I was able to get pregnant but would have a miscarriage (I have 6 rainbow babies) by 12 weeks.
I ended up doing IVF and we planned a WDW trip a few weeks after the transfer knowing if it did not work it would be something to help us and if it did work it would be something to celebrate.
So I ended up going to Disney 8 weeks prego and just took it very easy. We were a commando kind of touring couple, but we just really enjoyed being at the parks and going in a lower pace.
So if you end up being pregnant at Disney - congrats and enjoy seing Disney with different eyes. You may not ride all your favorite rides but you will still have a lot of fun!
Good luck and baby dust for you!

I'm so sorry you have been struggling.

However, I also agree that you can't put your life on hold, just in case you might be pregnant. Book your trip. My bet is that if you do end up pregnant while you are there, you will be so happy that you won't care if you miss out on some rides. And you just may create some new traditions and find new favorites.

Best of luck to you!

I've gone twice pregnant. Once at 30 weeks and another at 15 weeks. We were going through IVF when my dh suggested planning a Disney cruise to take the stress off. We planned the cruise, put down the deposit and was so relieved to cancel the trip because I was pregnant! I think you should do whatever you can to take the pressure off and planning a Disney trip is nice and distracting!

I too struggled with IF and after 3 years, finally conceived our little miracle while on a "break" from "trying".

Anyways, we went to WDW when I was 16-17 weeks pregnant. I had a BLAST. We went in September, so it wasn't super hot and the crowds weren't too crazy. Yes, I missed out on some of my favorite rides, but I didn't seem to care. I spent my extra time shopping for baby stuff or seeing shows that I normally wouldn't see.

On our first night there we had dinner at Chef Mickey's and did a gender reveal cake that I set up with the bakery at the Contemporary. (My friend had called the baker to tell her whether it should be pink or blue) It made the trip even more special!

Lastly, if you are pregnant when you go, drink A LOT of water.

I choose not to go when I was pregnant because I like doing the rides, but on the upside it will give you something else to focus on. I would go on the trip if you think it is something that you need to do.

I think you can go ahead and plan for the WDW trip. I will be travelling at about 26 weeks so this will be a different type of trip. I'm ready for the yummy snacks!

I went pregnant at 32 weeks! It was an adventure, but I had a great time. Of course, I skipped roller coasters, but there was still enough to have a great time. And, you know what? After waiting for so very long to be pregnant with a miracle, I bet you won't end up minding have to skip a few rides. ;) Plan your trip. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you couldn't ride the roller coasters?

I went when I was 5 months pregnant with my FET #2 baby. I did skip the roller coasters, and we actually were only in the parks 1 day before we hopped on the Disney Dream. I didn't mind missing out on the big roller coasters because I was just excited to be at Disney. Sending you lots of luck with the treatments.

Well, I have a couple of thoughts here (and I am NOT a Dr., just a mom):

1. I went to Disneyland and WDW while pregant, and was perfectly fine. I didn't ride some of the big rides (not a real coaster person anyway), but I did miss things like Star Tours. Most of the rides were fine though. I even ran the Disneyland 1/2 marathon! It was not a problem, and I didn't hold anyone back, I just did other things and enjoyed the little things.

2. I brought my baby when he was 6 months, 8 months and so on. I will tell you that easiest time to bring my baby was when I was preg and when he was very little. Best was preg, cause he was so easy to carry! :) Since he is now 3, it's a lot harder. So don't worry about that, little is best!

3. This may be a little TMI, but........my mom got pregant with me while she was at Disney! So who knows, maybe you may get a little pixie dust and get preg there!

Very good luck to you, I hope you'll have your munchin soon. After all, the "practicing" can be the most fun part! ;)

Last edited:
I've been while pregnant and it was still a really fun time. I loved going to the water parks and going in the lazy river. DH rode a few rides without me and I was fine sitting on a bench with a Mickey Bar.

We have been in the same boat, and I had to decide to book the trips despite not knowing. This time around we booked a trip to France for September and actually did take a 3-month break (because everything will be so expensive to cancel). On our first month "trying" again (after trying for 2 years) we got preggo. So in france I'll be 27-29 weeks pregnant, including a visit to DLP. And so SO happy that it's finally happened and I didn't put off the trip.

Also, just returned from a 12-day Disney trip with my 3 YO solo, and was 11-12 weeks pregnant during that trip. It was completely fine, and we had SO much fun, can't believe it's already over.

So I say book it and go! You can't live your life waiting around for things to happen! I really hope it happens soon for you, but either way having an exciting trip to plan for and look forward to really helps the anticipation and waiting. Good luck!

We took our babymoon to WDW and the Disney Dream. I was 4 months pregnant with twins no less. It was a great trip and I don't feel like I missed anything (but we do go at least once a year). While dh rode the rides I couldn't, I got to meet all sorts of characters that he was always unwilling to wait in line for. I am a character person so that was great for me! We are taking the twins next week. They will be just over 3 months old. Now THAT should be an interesting trip. 2 adults and 2 infants in WDW in June. :scared:

Good luck on your fertility journey!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter