Promposals....

I agree it's nice to be asked. I just didn't see it as being necessary, before buying a dress.

I disagree. If she goes out and gets an expensive dress and then finds out her bf has no intention of going to prom, then what?

I don't like being taken for granted by my husband of 28 years why would my teenager be taken for granted by a hs boyfriend? What if she decided she just wanted to go with a big group of girls?

Dd knew who she is going with before the promposal, for the most part. I mean they were talking and it had been discussed but he still needed to ask. Her bff had a long term bf and still expected to at least be asked.

Several girls were dating baseball players last year. Baseball season is going on at the same time as prom. Some of the guys don't go to prom because they see it as a distraction from baseball. Should the girls have bought a dress without being asked?

My granddaughter, 16, went to prom last year with her then-boyfriend. She knew for months they were going, had her dress, shoes, had hair, makeup, and nail appointments all made, etc but still expected the requisite promposal. And made it clear if the promposal wasn't forthcoming she wouldn't be going. And yes, at her school there is a pretty big assumption that bigger is better, and boys are definitely being judged on their creativity, or lack thereof. He doesn't have to spend a lot, but it had better be cool, or he's sending a message to the entire school that he's just not into her. KWIM?

Wow. It sounds like the ex dodged a bullet in breaking up with her. School expectation or not, this young lady needs to do some growing up.

Back in the day, I had two scenarios. My junior year I went to 2 proms. The guy, from a different school, called & asked me to go to both our proms with him. We then started talking about colors, etc. My senior year my boyfriend for almost a year & I just started talking about what we were going to wear. It would never had occurred to either of us that we wouldn't go together. After a year, we knew each others schedules & would have known, if prom wasn't possible. My point that I obviously didn't make very well is I don't think it's necessary, but I don't have a problem with someone doing a promposal. They can do it for fun, if they want. More power to them. It is possible to successfully attend a prom without a promposal from your date though. If it weren't possible, none of the people in my generation would have gone nor would my DS, nieces or nephews in the millennial generation. As everything we seem to talk about on the DIS, it must be regional or at least not all encompassing.

Last edited:
Wow. It sounds like the ex dodged a bullet in breaking up with her. School expectation or not, this young lady needs to do some growing up.

Granddaughter might be spoiled, but the ex is definitely a jerk. He talked her into doing a lot of "grown up" things she shouldn't have done and then cheated on her and lied about it for weeks, culminating in "I think we need to take a break. It's not you, it's me". He just got dumped by the new girlfriend as apparently he has a long history of similar behavior. I'm glad she's well rid of that creep. Not at all sure he's the one who dodged the bullet.

There is currently a small plane flying over my son's high school (school recently released for the day) pulling a banner that says "Anna - Prom? - JT" :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter