Propane usage while driving?

Uncledave54

Earning My Ears
I'm getting conflicting information about this. Can i run my refrigerator on propane while driving?

We usually do our grocery shopping near our destination. Now the Mrs wants to fill the frig before we leave home.

Any advice.

Yep, can be "heated".

I use it for my fridge, otherwise I'd have nothing by time I got to WDW.

Depends on the individual.

One person is going to tell you yes, the next is going to tell you no way. So, JMO, we travel with ours on propane. That is just how WE do it, no right or wrong to it, just us. Also there are certain tunnels that require you to have your propane tanks shut off so that is a concern too.

Since we bought our first travel trailer in 2003 we have logged over 20 trips from MI to WDW (1100 miles each way) and countless others including a 5000 mile trip out west. Every mile was with the fridge running on propane. Never had a single issue. I also finished a 25 yr career as a Firefighter/Paramedic and never once made a call where an RV propane system exploded. I know it happens but the fuel in your tow vehicle is just as hazardous as the propane. I am just a guy on the internet offering free advice that is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Personally, I will rely on my real life experiences to guide me rather than stories about someones "brother in laws, sisters, cousin once said"

The only time we turn if off when driving is if we are going through a tunnel (which required propane be off). The rest of the time, it's always on.

Aome tunnels have bans on propane also. So under a certian amount is ok or else you need to go around. Also , it depends on your fridge, some blow out easy( like on my pop up camper) others don't. I would turn it off before re fuleing.

Tally me up with everyone else. Have always towed with tanks (and refrigerator) on. I have seen one TT on fire on the way to a race. It was clearly the refrigerator that caught on fire, but the trailer looked to be 30+ years old and was in terrible shape. I would have been nervous pulling it out of my driveway, much less running it down the highway.

Interestingly, I blew a tire on the way back from Gulf Shores last year. Coachmen, in their wisdom, put a "T" for the propane lines right next to the tires. When the tire let loose, it snapped off one of the lines at the T. The propane bottle did it's job and shut the flow down as soon as it sensed the open line. No fire, no drama, no big deal.

j

Always on unless generator is running since early 1980's

HOWEVER from earliest directions when we started way back then ----

the propane tank is supposed to be shut off like all engines and if tank is not shut off then all pilot lights (flames) are off when refueling

p.s. -- there can always be a first and maybe last time KA-BOOM!!!

I'm getting conflicting information about this. Can i run my refrigerator on propane while driving?

We usually do our grocery shopping near our destination. Now the Mrs wants to fill the frig before we leave home.

Any advice.

Have never cut off propane while driving in 50 yrs. RV'ing. Actually haven't heard of anyone doing it, except what I've read on the Dis.

We always kept our propane on while traveling, unless going thru tunnels. Pilot light was not on in the oven.

Always on unless generator is running since early 1980's

HOWEVER from earliest directions when we started way back then ----

the propane tank is supposed to be shut off like all engines and if tank is not shut off then all pilot lights (flames) are off when refueling

p.s. -- there can always be a first and maybe last time KA-BOOM!!!

I position my trailer so its not anywhere near a pump while refueling. Usually next to the person with the lit cigarette or the one that gets back into their car while the pump is running 8-)

I have only turned off the propane when it was required. Otherwise, I have used it to keep the fridge going and back when I had my DP, I ran the furnace in the winter on the road because the Dash heat could not keep it comfortable in December/January while I went south to Disney.

I get refueling and the pilot or flame, and that was less of an issue when you are a diesel refilling over at the truck fueling areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter