PTSD - need confirmation okay to Disney this month!!! Please help!!!

DLYoung70

Earning My Ears
Hello friends,

Due to suffering from a PTSD-type disorder that renders any that goes "boom" as a no go in my life, I have for my 50 years on earth been unable to visit the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Obviously the nighttime fireworks shows are an immediate stop to all plans, but so are any of the smaller pyro elements used in daily shows or what have you (I won't even go on Pirates of the Caribbean). I simply can't be in the parks, my nervous system can't take it.

However this COVID thing has me believing there is a silver lining to this awful pandemic. What I'm hoping you kind folks who are regular visitors to the parks can confirm for me is that during this period all the shows are cancelled so as to avoid gathering crowds in violation of social distancing practices. This would provide me with a blessed window during which I could spend a day or two at each park without worrying about something popping off and sending me into shock. I have a trip planned to Orlando at the end of this month, and I'm hoping to make this dream a reality!

So anyone who's been there recently, or has contacts that would know for sure, PLEASE confirm for me that there are no pyro in use currently at either MK or Epcot. I've said my prayers, hoping y'all are able to answer them! Disney is supposed to be the happiest place on earth, I'd like to find out for myself! :-)

Thank you,
Darrell

When we were there in December, they had some small fireworks at MK occasionally. I don't remember if it was just at night when they had the castle projections or if there were a few during the day too. It was just those fireworks that are close to the castle. Someone that has been there recently might be able to weigh in on if this is still happening.

There weren't any fireworks at any of the other three parks.

Note: they are currently working on the new HarmoniUS show at EP, so if you are going to go, I would recommend getting a trip in before that starts. There is no start date yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it gets up and going by this fall.

When we were there in December, they had some small fireworks at MK occasionally. I don't remember if it was just at night when they had the castle projections or if there were a few during the day too. It was just those fireworks that are close to the castle. Someone that has been there recently might be able to weigh in on if this is still happening.

Yes this is exactly what I'm worried about. Little things for the stage shows and things like that which normal folks would not notice, but would put me in a "safe" room overnight lol. Shows, parades, anything, I can't deal. Hence the concern. Thanks so much!

I'm sensing I'll be fine at Epcot, might have to gain some more clarity for MK.

I think Animal Kingdom would be a really good park for you! Because of the animals, even in non-covid times there aren’t the loud noises that can sometimes be present in other parks. Just be careful of Dinosaur because it is really loud with flashing lights, etc. If you don’t mind spoilers (I don’t) you can always watch a YouTube video beforehand to see if it would be a no-go for you.

You might want to contact Disney's Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com. They may be able to give you some good assistance; Disney wants all guests to enjoy their visits and tries to help in making that possible.

I came across the following post, which was in response to an inquiry regarding a vet, and which might have some relevance to your question:

Regardless of his veteran status, in the event that your husband has any sort of limitations that would prevent him from standing in line for long periods of time (including PTSD if crowds are bothersome to him), please see Guest Relations inside the first theme park you visit during your trip regarding a Disability Access Services (also known as DAS) pass.

RE Animal Kingdom, no issues there, planning that for another time but not worried about pyro so that will be post-COVID. I've seen the dinosaur you speak of , it's not an issue. My problems are entirely related to pyro/guns.

RE tests, yes aware of that possibily, and would keep an eye out for the bulletins they post. Honestly even with all y'all's good info my nerves will still be a bit on edge, so would probably leave MK by around 8pm. After dark would have me in knots. And not staying super close (over in I-Drive) so that's not a worry.

I never thought of the Disability Services, thank you SO much for that idea, I will definitely contact them, maybe official info will be the key to putting me at ease.

Again, thank you all so very much. Much love.

I suffer from the same. If I'm not "expecting" the loudness, I don't react to well. I wouldn't so much worry about fireworks right now, but keep in mind that they now have these pop up parades that can be loud. Now, yes, you will hear it coming, but they close off walkways and you might get stuck having to stand there while the "calvalcades" pass.

A recent poster mentioned being notified that fireworks were being tested at EPCOT from about 9 pm to midnight.

I feel for you OP, I have always despised fireworks because of the noise level. I try to stay away from the parks during the shows, and always carry earplugs to help dull the noise. The sound of a firework sends chills up my spine.

The occasional fireworks testing that's occurred lately happens late at night after the parks are all cleared out of all guests. They're not testing it during operating hours.

You'd probably want to steer clear of ROTR because there's blaster & cannon fire on that. The Milennium Falcon ride also involves shooting special effects.

At AK, Dinosaur has stuff that will jump out at you and is loud, so maybe have a close friend or family member watch a ride through video on YouTube for you and then help you decide.

At Epcot, you should be pretty good overall there.

We were at WDW in January and from what I recall from the various cavalcades at the parks, there weren't any pyro effects with any cavalcade, nor was there any gun fire sounds or anything like that.

At MK, stay off of Jungle Cruise. I don't remember the skipper doing it on our January trip, but on prior trips, the skipper at the beginning of the ride fires off a pop cap sort of gun into the air. You can't hear it elsewhere in Adventureland, though...only when you're on the attraction.

HM - no pyro, no flash-bangs, no fireworks, nothing that goes 'BOOM!'
Peter Pan - have somebody watch a ride-through of this...can't remember if there's a bang in this attraction

I feel for you OP, I have always despised fireworks because of the noise level. I try to stay away from the parks during the shows, and always carry earplugs to help dull the noise. The sound of a firework sends chills up my spine.
The occasional fireworks testing that's occurred lately happens late at night after the parks are all cleared out of all guests. They're not testing it during operating hours.

You'd probably want to steer clear of ROTR because there's blaster & cannon fire on that. The Milennium Falcon ride also involves shooting special effects.

At AK, Dinosaur has stuff that will jump out at you and is loud, so maybe have a close friend or family member watch a ride through video on YouTube for you and then help you decide.

At Epcot, you should be pretty good overall there.

We were at WDW in January and from what I recall from the various cavalcades at the parks, there weren't any pyro effects with any cavalcade, nor was there any gun fire sounds or anything like that.

At MK, stay off of Jungle Cruise. I don't remember the skipper doing it on our January trip, but on prior trips, the skipper at the beginning of the ride fires off a pop cap sort of gun into the air. You can't hear it elsewhere in Adventureland, though...only when you're on the attraction.

HM - no pyro, no flash-bangs, no fireworks, nothing that goes 'BOOM!'
Peter Pan - have somebody watch a ride-through of this...can't remember if there's a bang in this attraction

Nope...only a very small cannon blast that is very low volume.

If you were going to Disneyland, I'd tell you to stay off of Mr Toad's Wild Ride because there's the sound of a car backfiring on that attraction.

If you're staying on International Drive, check to see if Sea World or Universal are doing fireworks at night.

I highly recommend using earplugs or noise canceling headphones and simply wear them all day. This is what many autistic individuals do, and it makes the day go so much more smoothly.

If there are fireworks shows scheduled at night, it's easy enough to leave early. Avoid parade routes and the castle stage shows and you should be fine 😊

Biggest attraction offenders for sudden, loud noises or startling images: Test Track, Journey into Imagination, Soarin, The 3 mountains at Magic Kingdom, Philharmagic .

Also of note: schedule table service meals in quiet restaurants. Quick service is loud.

I'm not a Disney expert so I can't advise much but I have read that Epcot has been testing Fireworks for Harmonious as others have stated, if you go on Disney's website, each attraction has a list of what to expect in the description (ie loud noises, sudden drops, darkness etc) I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I have suffered for years with an anxiety disorder which due to being a healthcare working right now has developed into a full on panic disorder so I can sympathize with you on some small level. I really hope you can find a way to have a magical experience

Epcot, don't ride Journey Into Imagination with Figment. There is a loud blast at the end. There are also some faint gun shots I believe in the American Adventure but nothing too loud.

At MK, the main thing I can think of would just be the marching band cavalcade with the drums which may not be a problem (same at HS and I want to say AK may have some at times). In kind of the same line of thinking The Enchanted Tiki Room has some lightning effects/drums. Another thing that just popped into my mind is the steam whistle on the Liberty Belle boat, again may not be an issue for you just something to be aware of.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter