• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Publix

chloelovesdisney

DIS Veteran
I have never shopped at Publix and don't have one around here. We will be ordering from WeGoShop for our November trip. Are there any prepared foods sold there that you really enjoy and would recommend?

I purchased a gift certificate from them and can't change my mind now, I didn't realize how annoying it would be to have to prepare a shopping list with nothing online to shop from. None of my local stores are in Orlando and they recommend Publix.

Anyway, any recommendations are appreciated, thanks. :)

Anyone know if I can microwave frozen corn on the cob? :confused3

I have never shopped at Publix and don't have one around here. We will be ordering from WeGoShop for our November trip. Are there any prepared foods sold there that you really enjoy and would recommend?

I purchased a gift certificate from them and can't change my mind now, I didn't realize how annoying it would be to have to prepare a shopping list with nothing online to shop from. None of my local stores are in Orlando and they recommend Publix.

Anyway, any recommendations are appreciated, thanks. :)

I regularly shop at Publix. I suggest that you look at an ad to see what the prices are. They have a full deli and a great bread selection! We like to get the stuff for subs there. They also tend to have great produce. So don't be afraid to order some. They have basically everything a normal grocery store has.

What are you trying to order? Like what kinds of foods? Breakfast, lunches, snacks?

I regularly shop at Publix. I suggest that you look at an ad to see what the prices are. They have a full deli and a great bread selection! We like to get the stuff for subs there. They also tend to have great produce. So don't be afraid to order some. They have basically everything a normal grocery store has.

What are you trying to order? Like what kinds of foods? Breakfast, lunches, snacks?

I've been checking their flyers online when I remember, more to see what they sell than the prices since I have to order ahead of time and the sale prices won't be the same. We'll be ordering breakfast, food for a few lunches by the pool or to take to the water park, snacks, and dinner to have on our arrival day (we just plan to watch the movie poolside that evening).

Right now I plan to order milk, juice, cereal, bagels, a few kinds of fresh fruit, stuff for sandwiches, granola bars, ceaser salad kits, potato/macaroni salad, tortilla chips and salsa, baby carrots, pita chips and hummus and some drinks. I'm considering Nathan's hot dogs and corn on the cob but I've never microwaved them before.

Do you like their rotisserie chicken?

If there are any particular deli salads/prepared foods that you really like please let me know. :)

Thanks. :goodvibes

Everything we have ever had from the deli has been good. From the fried chicken, wings, rotisserie chickens, macaroni salad, etc. And we love ordering subs (you can do this online and just pick it up premade!) to take to the beach with us. Often if we are out during lunch time we will stop and get lunch at the deli versus an actual restaurant. I like the chicken quesadilla from there also. I know my Publix has things like baked potatoes, meatloaves, etc in their deli case that you just need to heat up.

They do a family dinner. 1 rotisserie chicken or 8 piece fried chicken, 2 sides (macaroni salad, pasta salad, and something else I can't remember), and dinner rolls (Kings rolls) for not too bad of a price.

Their Deli and bakery are both excellent. We love their Publix brand of hummus and usually bring some home with us.
Great, now I'm craving the roasted red pepper hummus....

Publix is pretty much the high end of regular grocery stores here in the south (regular stores not including places like whole foods or fresh market).

They have good chicken and subs from the deli. I also like that they have Boar's Head deli meat/cheese. It's the only brand I like (it somehow seems less processed than most).

I haven't tried many of their prepped foods but have never thought they looked that great. I can say that if you like traditional cole slaw-do not get it from the publix deli. Granted, I haven't tried it in awhile but it was more like sweet slaw.

For boxed foods, they are pretty much going to have any typical brand from your local store. So I'd say make a list that you would from your store.

I shop at publix every time I am in Orlando they offer everything it is a major grocery store has fresh flowers bakery produce frozen goods fish meats liquor deli etc prices are a bit high I don't mind as long as I can get everything I need in one place

Publix subs!!!!! A whole ultimate on 5 grain makes a great couple meals for me. Eat one now and put one in the fridge for later. It might be even better later

The Philly cheesesteaks they have are good too. But you have to eat those fresh.

Also, publix brand ice cream is very good. Their bakery stuff is very good. Pretty much everything is good

Pretty much everything is good. The rotisserie chicken is delicious. They make a great sub! I tend to prefer Publix brand over most name brands.

Publix is where I do all my grocery shopping. My family loves their subs (the Ultimate or the Italian are our favorites). Both their fried chicken and rotisserie chicken are good. None of us likes mayo, so we don't do things like macaroni salad, cole slaw or potato salad, so I can't comment on those items.

I don't know how early you have to place your order or if you'll be able to look at the week's ad before you do, but if something is BOGO, you have to get 2 to get the deal. In Florida, the second item triggers the discount, items are not priced individually at 50% off. So don't just get 1 box of BOGO cereal, get 2, as an example.

Publix is THE super market. It's clean, bright, great customer service, and a huge selection.

Their fried chicken is very good, as is the rotisserie chicken. the subs are fresh and can be made with Publix or Boar's Head deli meats. They have 3 different types of potato salad (NY style, southern, and homestyle) and 3 types of cole slaw (sweet, shredded, and traditional) so the PP who didn't like the sweet slaw could try one of the other varieties. I loved their carrot salad (before my doctor took me off raw foods, Publix carrot salad was my vice!). Their produce is very nice - I've never gotten anything there that was "bad" (unlike some other big name retailers where the fruit on top looked nice but everything underneath was rotten). The bakery is awesome! The bread is soft and fresh. The bagels, pastries, cookies, and Publix cakes are delicious. I bake everyone's cakes for their birthdays, but for my birthday I insist on a Publix cake!

Anyway, anything you get from Publix, you will not be disappointed.

We LOVE their key lime pie :worship:!! I think it's even better than some I've had in Key West :cool1:! My DH and DS are big fans of their in house sushi. Publix is my favorite grocery store :banana:!!

Thank you everyone, you have given me some great shopping tips! My family loves Key Lime pie so we will definitely be adding that, as well as a rotisserie chicken. Boar's Head is the deli brand I usually buy so I am very happy to hear that they carry it.

My family likes a regular potato salad that has sliced potatoes with mayo (I like chunky red bliss potatoes but no one else does), would that be NY style? :confused3

I also have their red pepper hummus added on.

Do you think the fried chicken would be okay cold for lunch at Blizzard Beach?

I will keep checking back if there are any other favorites. :goodvibes

WeGoShop recommended I place my order 1-4 months ahead but maybe they just meant to book the delivery day/time? I thought I had to send in the whole order but maybe I misunderstood.

Thank you everyone, you have given me some great shopping tips! My family loves Key Lime pie so we will definitely be adding that, as well as a rotisserie chicken. Boar's Head is the deli brand I usually buy so I am very happy to hear that they carry it. My family likes a regular potato salad that has sliced potatoes with mayo (I like chunky red bliss potatoes but no one else does), would that be NY style? :confused3 I also have their red pepper hummus added on. Do you think the fried chicken would be okay cold for lunch at Blizzard Beach? I will keep checking back if there are any other favorites. :goodvibes

Depending on which Publix they shop at for you the deli should probably carry 3-4 different types of potato salad in small, med & large sizes. Also you can ask them to pick you up a package of cold fried chicken already packaged that way for you. The deli also carries all types of pita chips for that nice hummus you're getting. Our ads run Thursday morning to Wednesday night so hopefully just as you go to order you can see what's on sale. There is a Publix app for your smartphone too which will have any & all information you need. You could also ask which store they plan to shop at & pull that ad up. Also don't be afraid to call Publix & ask questions about items before you order. We don't mind at all. Have a great vacation!!

I like Publix. We usually don't buy prepared food but we do buy meats, veggies, fruits, dairy, coffee, etc. IIRC they have Boar's Head deli meat which is wonderful.
We microwave FRESH corn and have for the last two years since I read about it here on the DIS. Pile unshucked corn in a pyramid, microwave 1 min per ear, turns each ear and microwave another minute per ear. Caution! The ears are super hot when they come out of the microwave! I shuck them quickly "ouch! ouch! ouch!" and serve with butter and salt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter