Purple hair dye for tween - any recommendations?

I've used Manic Panic on myself and my daughter with good results. It fades faster during swim season, and on my brown-blonde hair bleaching it first is a must for bold color (my DD is lucky - she's pale enough blonde that we can skip the bleaching step), but the colors seem to stay true despite chlorine exposure. I haven't tried purple specifically, though. Cotton candy pink, forest green, blood red, and royal blue all worked out fine.

None of the dyes will last in pool water. They will probably turn a different shade after the first bit in a pool. Been there. I had a friend once who had dyed pink hair and after getting in a pool once it turned bright gold. So if she still wants to do it, be prepared that she will most likely come out of the pool without purple at the ends.
That being said, my favorite brand is Manic Panic. I've been using it for about 15 years and have used so many different colors. They have several different shades of purple to choose from and I know Sally's Beauty Supply carries some.

If she's swimming, no matter how it's done, the chlorine will change the color. When I have color done, I put a conditioner in my hair-dry hair and conditioner directly on it-so the hair can not absorb the chlorine. It really helps!! Ask your hairdresser. It would be a shame to go through all that and have the color get messed up.

A friend who is a hair stylist just redid my teens streak. We have done the bleach then dye in the past but this time she got this http://www.sallybeauty.com/n-rage-color/NRAGE1,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH N-Rage come in purple, red and pink. It is the bleach and dye all in one step--much quicker than easier than a 2 step process. Came out great! The color does fade pretty quick but dd likes the pink that it is now. We haven't used any color that has stayed vibrant longer than a few weeks.

In high school we used kool aid. You make a paste from the powder and water. In college I used manic panic. You can get at Newburyport Comic or Sally's Beauty Supply. The kool aid actually lasted a long time.

I'm not recommending this but my DD13 has a friend with very light blonde hair that is always coloring the tips of her hair. She uses Sharpie Markers and when she's tired of the color she cuts off the ends and starts over with a new color :rotfl2:.

I always used Manic Panic with good results but my hair was always a natural platinum blonde so that probably helped a lot!

So when a colorful dye comes out, how does it come out? I'm picturing it staining the marble in my shower or the porcelain in my tub as it washes out.

I know for the first week after using Splat the color will stain towels, sheets, or clothing is the hair is wet when put against it. It will stain marble when you are doing it, but if the tub or sink is rinsed after washing no staining. The stain can be removed from marble or porcelain using a baking soda paste and a little elbow grease. I still have purple and turquoise stained towels.

I grew up in the 80's too... came home one day with the side of my head shaved like a crew cut and a lightning bolt shaved in... my mother said.... "did you mean to have that done"... I said "yes"... she said ok, that's all that matters. :)

:thumbsup2 What a great mom!

I've never dyed my hair a weird color. I'm 45 and have only dyed it a few times and that was in college. I'm starting to get some grey pieces, so I'm trying to decide what to do now.

My friend has red hair and back in the 80's she died the ends black (at a salon and the woman did not want to do it at first!). It looked amazing.

I grew up in the 80's too... came home one day with the side of my head shaved like a crew cut and a lightning bolt shaved in... my mother said.... "did you mean to have that done"... I said "yes"... she said ok, that's all that matters. :)

I did the same thing... Had the back and sides of my head shaved close and the top was all spikes then a lightening bolt in the back. I loved it..

When I was in college, we used kool-aid packets to color our hair. I don't know if they changed the formulation since then (about 24 years ago). We'd bleach the hair and then rinse kool aid through it. I found a web site that shows how to do that.
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-dye-hair-kool-aid-two-methods-8856451.html

I would not recommend the koolaid. My daughter and I were at the salon and two young teenage girls came in both with their mothers who were none too pleased. They were even less happy when they were told that there really isn't anything you can do to "correct" the koolaid dye job,

Not sure how healthy the koolaid is for your hair, but if you do it that way you just have to wait til it grows out or cut it off.

I wouldn't do Kool-Aide either. It doesn't wash out. I had a friend who died her hair a very dark blue. It faded out to green and was green until it grew out.

I think the kook aid depends on the texture and color of your hair.

Dd and her bff used kool aid to pit streaks of their school colors in for football games. They used black cherry and made it really dark to be maroon. Ds's washed out by Sunday (Friday night game) Her friend has lighter hair that isn't as thick and her's took a couple of weeks.

The best I have found is Raw hair dye from Hot Topics. This is a demi perminant hair color and stays in longer than any other I have tried.
Purple hair is a Disney tradition :thumbsup2 That and the ears:cool2:

Photo0019FourBySix-1_zpsba6ae7f4.jpg

Last year we did a hank of my daughter's hair in a bright blue with manic panic. One (yes ONE) day in the pool at camp and it all came out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter