Push Assist Wheelchair Registration

Enya

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

I'm very excited to register for the Disney Princess Enchanted 10K with my two best friends. I've read stories online about people participating with a friend or family member in a wheelchair and pushing that person throughout the course. One of my friends is disabled and my other friend and I would love to push him in a wheelchair so he can join us for the race.

Unfortunately I can't find any recent information about this or how we would register. This is the first time we'll be registering for a runDisney event and I'm a little nervous about bibs selling out fast.

If anyone has any tips please share your experience with me. I've reached out to Disney and I'm waiting for their reply, butI would love to hear some personal experiences!

Hi all!

I'm very excited to register for the Disney Princess Enchanted 10K with my two best friends. I've read stories online about people participating with a friend or family member in a wheelchair and pushing that person throughout the course. One of my friends is disabled and my other friend and I would love to push him in a wheelchair so he can join us for the race.

Unfortunately I can't find any recent information about this or how we would register. This is the first time we'll be registering for a runDisney event and I'm a little nervous about bibs selling out fast.

If anyone has any tips please share your experience with me. I've reached out to Disney and I'm waiting for their reply, butI would love to hear some personal experiences!

So I just mock registered for the Marathon Weekend Marathon. There is one question relevant during registration:

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.12.01 AM.png

Upon selecting "yes" you get the following question pop-up:

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 8.12.10 AM.png

So it would appear you would register each of you. One person selects the "Duo Division being pushed" and the other selects the "Duo Division pusher".

I've never done it before myself, but that's what I'm seeing on the registration page.

So I just mock registered for the Marathon Weekend Marathon. There is one question relevant during registration:

View attachment 596884

Upon selecting "yes" you get the following question pop-up:

View attachment 596885

So it would appear you would register each of you. One person selects the "Duo Division being pushed" and the other selects the "Duo Division pusher".

I've never done it before myself, but that's what I'm seeing on the registration page.

Oh my goodness @DopeyBadger, thank you so much! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

In case anyone is looking for more information regarding Duo Division, I received the following information from runDisney:

"Duo Division
A Duo Team is defined as one athlete pushing a wheelchair and another participant able-bodied. For outdoor road racing, a person requiring no special assistance may be allowed to “push” a person with a disability in a wheelchair provided both team members meet all event registration and pairing requirements. Guests need to provide or rent their own chairs. Both the participant and pusher need to be registered and we can only allow one to accompany them to the Start while others may catch up once they do from their assigned Start Group. That being said when they register there is a question if they are participating as a DUO and each participant would indicate that they are either the pusher or participant when they register. Then closer to the event, our Registration Team will contact you to be sure you understand:

• The Duo Category is an exhibition event. The pusher is eligible for an award and the individual being pushed is eligible for a finishing medal only.
  • Participants in the wheelchair must wear a safety helmet - maybe a bike or ski helmet.
  • Participants in the wheelchair must be secured with a safety restraint such as a tether.
  • Participants pushing the wheelchair must be tethered to the chair -- we have ones to borrow if need be.
  • Lights are required on both the front and back of the racing chair for the safety of all participants. Temporary flashing lights are acceptable."

I am very happy that they added this option, I know many people that would like to do a runDisney event that are wheelchair bound but do not have access to a 'racing' wheelchair

I am very happy that they added this option, I know many people that would like to do a runDisney event that are wheelchair bound but do not have access to a 'racing' wheelchair

I don’t think this is a new option. I’ve seen people being pushed in just about every RunDisney race I’ve run. They‘re often associated with a charity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter