Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Apologies in advance if I forget to answer any previous questions...I haven't been on much lately...

@lynxstch, lots of prayers for Madalyn! I hope she continues in the right direction and can come home soon! As far as the Big E...yes, they still do the butter sculpture. And we also usually like to walk through the state houses, but the past few years we've not enjoyed them. WAY too many people...all you can do is shuffle along in the stream. Nobody will let you cross over to one side or the other to actually look at the merchandise in the booths. And you're toast if you have a child in a stroller! Last year I had someone who must have thought that the space in front of me was empty, so she shoved her way around me, tried to dart from left to right in front of me, tripped over the stroller wheels, and had to literally leap over Josh in the stroller to avoid falling on him. But we still like all the food, the animals, and last year we enjoyed the "Mutts Gone Nuts" exhibition.

I want purple hair, too (and I'm 46)! My hair is a kind of reddish-purple already, but I'd love to go true purple. My hairdresser has told me that once my hair turns all white, it will be easier to do - right now we'd have to strip all the color first, so it's really easy once you have grey or white hair.

I will! I don't know if you'd be able to send me a request (I'm pretty locked-down...too many requests from people that just want to friend me in order to sell me stuff), but my FB link is...
https://www.facebook.com/liz.h.carr/
I'm mostly a picture-poster, too. Some observations and memes, too, but mostly photos of Josh :goodvibes

No, and we REALLY need to. Our child is 5 now and we know we absolutely must have one. We just have never seemed to get around to it. I think we talk about it 2-3 times per year. All we have is Josh - and my mom says that if anything ever did happen to us, she's taking Josh and "I'm not giving him up to anybody" - and some retirement accounts, all of which Josh is the beneficiary. But it would still be in HIS best interest if we had wills, I know.

So Friday wasn't the best day of distance learning. Josh would NOT sit down and pay attention. He kept pushing the chair pad onto the floor, then standing up and dancing around, stomping on it, etc. I had the teacher "pinned" (so we could see only her), forgetting that our video was still running on her end, and I finally got so mad that I picked Josh up and made him sit down, pushed in the chair, and he got the heavy-death-metal voice from me, "SIT. DOWN. AND. PAY. ATTENTION." Not to mention that he simply does NOT want to do the assignments that the specials teachers send. I'm exhausted by 3 p.m. - and I haven't even done anything!

Saturday morning we had a very early soccer game (9:30). Josh wasn't with it. He just stared at the ball until it rolled by and we yelled to him to kick it. He's learned how to "trash talk" and he keeps pointing at kids on the other team, telling them "You're going down." I don't know where he learned it. He also does this interesting thing with his arms when he runs...all I can see in my mind's eye is George Jefferson. He does a George Jefferson strut. But when he winds up to kick the ball, he does this little dance that is 100% "the Curly Shuffle" from the Three Stooges.

After soccer we stopped around the corner to buy mums and pumpkins. I think we robbed the place...we got 2 mums, a large pumpkin, a smaller one, a small/medium white one (I always paint a Jack Skellington face on a white pumpkin), and 5 gourds for only $31. Then we had to run home, quickly change and head back out to get Josh his flu shot. He whined and cried and complained the whole way there. The doctor's office was doing them outside under a tent in the parking lot - they were out of the car and back in literally 30 seconds. He admitted that it didn't hurt at all!

In the evening we went to his friend's house for another outdoor movie night. This may have been the last one, it was so cold! There was only one other couple there with their twin 4-year-old boys. Josh's friend's 2-year-old sister would NOT stay away from the snack table - she REALLY wanted those Munchkins! She's so cute...she and her big brother look so much alike, they really could be twins if it weren't for the age difference. I love her name, Aberdeen - I know it's from Scotland, but I never thought about it for a child's name. So pretty! We watched The Sandlot, which the boys really liked. Josh is now asking me to buy it on DVD for him.

Today he's at his grandparents' house with DH. I'm trying to take a break.
You are a busy lady! Lol at the school visual. My DS came walking in from work the other day with his “class” on his phone! He would’ve been similar to Josh at that age! We had to use harnesses on everything when very young as he never wanted to sit still. I’m not sure how he survived school but he still doesn’t really like to sit still and I had to remind him to “get back to class” the other day! :hyper: (Interesting as he thought about careers he knew he did not want one that involved sitting at a desk, which I thought was good that he figured that out about himself early on!)

Re the will. If your mother is the person you choose for Josh to be with if something were to happen to you and your husband, then that’s great! The issue would probably be, though, what would happen if something were to happen to her? (And that could be true of any one person at any age.) So it will be good to start to think about who you might choose after her to raise Josh. It’s a tough thing to think about because no one ever wants to think about the worst happening. I just remembered our lawyer cautioned us not to name couples, but individuals, as that can get messy. So we chose one person with a backup as guardians. And as I mentioned before, then a trustee who would tend to our estate who wouldn’t be in conflict with the guardian. It sounds complicated but the lawyer helped simplify it for us. Good topic!

Good afternoon. Sitting down to watch the Ravens game.

Liz, I could not request you to friend me on Facebook but sent a message. My FB is https://www.facebook.com/carol.r.reynolds.1 @AuntieMe3 that's why I was asking if you want to friend me too. And prayers for your mom and you too.

It was in the med 40s this morning but beautiful and in the mid 60s now. We went to another new to us park today to explore. Did 3 miles (My Apple watch is getting a workout.) at the Sassafras NRMA, Here is a picture from a cliff about 100 ft about the Sassafras River where it empties into the Chesapeake Bay.

Small update...keep the prayers coming if you care to..she still needs them---
Two steps forward and one step back 😓 Just got word that one of her cultures from Friday night has started growing again..thankful that only one out of the 2 are now positive, but it sets us back and we have to restart the 48 hours of negative results to come home. Since she has greatly improved overall in her walking/fevers since yesterday, they are postponing the MRI and testing her inflammatory markers at 5. If they have not lowered, we head for the MRI and see if a small procedure is necessary to drain liquid from the infected site. Thankful to have so many prayer warriors on our side

Re the will. If your mother is the person you choose for Josh to be with if something were to happen to you and your husband, then that’s great! The issue would probably be, though, what would happen if something were to happen to her? (And that could be true of any one person at any age.) So it will be good to start to think about who you might choose after her to raise Josh. It’s a tough thing to think about because no one ever wants to think about the worst happening. I just remembered our lawyer cautioned us not to name couples, but individuals, as that can get messy. So we chose one person with a backup as guardians. And as I mentioned before, then a trustee who would tend to our estate who wouldn’t be in conflict with the guardian. It sounds complicated but the lawyer helped simplify it for us. Good topic!
Totally agree! DH and I had talked about it, probably when I was still pregnant with Josh, and we'd decided to ask DH's sister to be his guardian should anything happen to us. But we just never got around to actually making it legal. And then a few years ago, my mom and I somehow got on the topic, and before I could say anything she said she'd take Josh. I was kind of surprised and asked her if she'd really want to raise a teenage boy when she's in her 70s, and she said absolutely, there's no way she's giving him up. So I guess that settled it...but we would still designate DH's sister as the 2nd.

I had also read something regarding DH's and my ability to inherit the house when my mom passes. It was my grandparents' house, and they left it to my mom in their wills. She in turn is leaving it to me and she thinks it's fine, as long as it's in her will. But now I've heard that that might not be enough. There's something she should have on file - I think DH said it might be a "right of survivorship." My uncles didn't fight my mom on inheriting the house, but if they're still alive when the time comes, I worry that they might try to take it from us. Or if the state could take it if my mom leaves any bills for her care or what have you. I think we all need to sit down with a lawyer...and my mom probably should consult with an elder care attorney at this point.

Small update...keep the prayers coming if you care to..she still needs them---
Two steps forward and one step back 😓 Just got word that one of her cultures from Friday night has started growing again..thankful that only one out of the 2 are now positive, but it sets us back and we have to restart the 48 hours of negative results to come home. Since she has greatly improved overall in her walking/fevers since yesterday, they are postponing the MRI and testing her inflammatory markers at 5. If they have not lowered, we head for the MRI and see if a small procedure is necessary to drain liquid from the infected site. Thankful to have so many prayer warriors on our side
I'm so sorry for this setback. Continued prayers!

Little better update to end the day! Sorry for all of the updates but God is good! 🙌❤️ They ended up doing the MRI early, as she developed a low grade fever, and it did not show enough liquid around the infection to be concerned enough about draining it surgically. Her inflammatory markers also dropped 8 points today, so the Dr was very please with that. We will find out if her latest cultures are positive or negative tomorrow evening. Praying to go home Tuesday ❤️

Hug, apirateslifeforme, it is smart to plan ahead. Many prayers you and your DH enjoy a TON of healthy years together with Josh!

God is indeed always good, Lynxstch! Thank you for a positive update along with allowing us to pray for and cheer Madalyn on, too!

Odd question for all of you that maybe someone in this lovely thread can help me with :) I was given several years ago as a gift a Holy Bible. The print is not too small for me yet but might be down the road. What is an issue now is that you know how most Holy Bibles have Jesus' Words in red? This version has them in light burgundy which (to me) makes it harder to read. The text is also/a little more blurry/harder to focus on (hope that makes sense)!

Here's the "problem." My name was engraved in small gold letters on the front cover. In order to (I pray be able to Bless someone with this Holy Bible one day--I would, of course, get my own new Holy Bible that would be easier for me to read better) Do any of you have any experience removing engraving? I have Googled and it suggested using rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. I would be concerned that would ruin the cover which, of course, this being a Holy Bible, I would absolutely not want to have that happen! As an extra P.S. When I do get a new Holy Bible, It would truly Bless me to be able to pass this current Holy Bible (minus my name) onto one of you within this thread. Anyone interested please PM me.

Thank you. Sweet Dreams!

Last edited:
Ugh, your poor Mom! I can relate to the post-hysterectomy instant menopause and bladder issues. Immediately post op the latter were the worst part. They put a catheter in during the surgery and take it out afterward. Not sure about with her, but with me they also did a cystoscopy to make sure there was no bleeding in my bladder. All that and the “bladder challenge” (over-filled bladder to get me to pee) did me in. Years later I feel my bladder has never been the same. But a question - did she have her ovaries out, too?
I'm not sure if they took her ovaries or not...I'll have to ask my dad tomorrow. They didnt even send her home with any discharge paperwork which I thought was kinda weird. My dad wasn't able to really ask questions of the Dr until her postop appt 2 weeks ago and even then he didn't really ask alot of questions:sad2:...wish I could've been there but I couldn't get out of work. Because of Covid, she couldn't have visitors while she was there(4 days) and from what she says, she didn't have the greatest hospital experience. Things like just making her pee on the bed(no bed pan) and not having her use the bedside commode. With her brain damage, she doesn't always have the right perspective so its hard to know if what she's saying is true or not. She told my dad she was in a storage closet and not a regular room...of course,
when she was discharged, my dad went up to her room to get her and she was in a regular room not a closet...lol Even though they told her she would be there 7 days, they let her go home after 4, she told them she got better care at home and she wanted to go home and they said ok and called my dad to come pick her up so who knows what really was going on there.... :confused3

I want purple hair, too (and I'm 46)! My hair is a kind of reddish-purple already, but I'd love to go true purple. My hairdresser has told me that once my hair turns all white, it will be easier to do - right now we'd have to strip all the color first, so it's really easy once you have grey or white hair.
Did I miss a color hair question?? I've always wanted purple hair too but not willing to bleach my hair to get it. LOL My friend does my hair and he's done a purple-ish color on my dark hair that only shows up in the sun but it never lasts long.

Little better update to end the day! Sorry for all of the updates but God is good! 🙌❤ They ended up doing the MRI early, as she developed a low grade fever, and it did not show enough liquid around the infection to be concerned enough about draining it surgically. Her inflammatory markers also dropped 8 points today, so the Dr was very please with that. We will find out if her latest cultures are positive or negative tomorrow evening. Praying to go home Tuesday ❤
Glad to hear you got some good news.... hope she's able to go home Tuesday.

Good morning everyone.

ugh what a weekend....been working two weekends on getting the fence down and ready for trees, only to find out some of the folks whose property neighbor ours are up in arms about their "view" and they are all under the impression we don't own the fence, the HOA does. Well -HOA doesn't, and HOA powers that be are tired of being kindergarten teachers to these idiots. These neighbors, of course, never approached US to ask - they just assumed. We are the farm they moved next to when they wanted to move "to the country" then decided they didn't like the way things happen - or how early in the day they happen - on a farm. They should be glad I don't put pigs or cows in. Or a chicken house. I will not (nor do I have to) prove to them I own something that is mine. Of course, if THEY want to pay a surveyor to confirm it they are welcome to - I wish they would! To top it all off they don't own the land outside of the fence line - it's open space. idiots.

Then one of my dogs just up and decided what it would be like to jump the fence that makes up their dog run. Not scramble over or climb, but jump straight over. He did it three times yesterday, I think he finds it a fun thing to do, kinda like "hey - look at what I did!". Of course, that is EXACTLY what I don't need, a big dog roaming the countryside and neighborhood....So I've got to do some kinda emergency height extension on the existing fence - I don't really want to make the effort to put up whole new/higher fence because we hope to actually move the fenced area and put up new next summer. I need them to be able to be in their pen when it's nice out, especially since we are going to be out of town in two weeks, and my son works during the day far away and can't let them out mid day if they have to stay in.

Of course, all this happens when my husband is out of town! I won't worry him with the details of everything until he is home, nothing he can do about the neighbors but stew & fret. Nothing he can do about the dog fence from there, so the eldest & I will deal with it. I pride myself on being self sufficient and knowing when to ask for help, so I think I can create a temporary fix for the dogs. And I will endeavor to not over think the neighbors and what they are grumbling about because in the end it does not matter, nor is it up to them. And I'm a good neighbor to have! I've got a loader when the snow falls and they need the private roads and driveways plowed! We donate the space for the yearly HOA meeting that can hold over 30 people, and get it all set up with chairs and stuff! We've both stored and donated materials the HOA needed for their fences.

I was able to get a lot of stuff done in the house yesterday though - so I'll take that win! I got rid of some clothes, although I do really need to get rid of more. Plus I thinned out the kitchen of that random stuff you pick up because you need it, but really don't and haven't used?!?! I tossed a fair bit of stuff, one pile for goodwill and one pile for one of my SIL's ...I hadn't used those spring form pans since I bought them for, what purpose I don't know! Oh! And I got the coffee cabinet cleaned out. So many WAY out of date odd teas and random drink type stuff. We got the firepit area at the back of the farm cleaned out as well, so we are all ready for a few fall fires out there.

Just typing this out has chilled me out and calmed my brain, so thanks for letting me unload it all!

DH and I had talked about it, probably when I was still pregnant with Josh, and we'd decided to ask DH's sister to be his guardian should anything happen to us. But we just never got around to actually making it legal. And then a few years ago, my mom and I somehow got on the topic, and before I could say anything she said she'd take Josh. I was kind of surprised and asked her if she'd really want to raise a teenage boy when she's in her 70s, and she said absolutely, there's no way she's giving him up. So I guess that settled it...but we would still designate DH's sister as the 2nd

No. It's not up to her, it's up to you & your husband. You can designate whomever you want, and she doesn't even have to know about it. You should go with who you feel would best be able to look after Josh's interests and see him thru till adulthood, your obligation is to him, not your mother.

I think DH said it might be a "right of survivorship."

This is very easy to do - you need to be on the property title, and when your mother passes, you will survive her and be the owner and it will not need to go thru her estate or thru legal BS. It just has to be done the right way. Check with your attorney, they can get it worked up with the correct verbiage and title type. We own a few properties like this with my folks, and we are actually getting ready to retitle them in the next year or so to take them off the title, and add our sons. That way if something happens to my husband and I they property is technically already the kids, and not part of our estate so-to-speak. *I'm not a lawyer and so you need to check with yours to get correct wording and what works for your needs in your state with your situation*
Basically it is titled in such a way as there are named owners, and if one of the owners passes, the remaining owners are still in the owners, there are just one instead of two.

Little better update to end the day! Sorry for all of the updates but God is good! 🙌❤ They ended up doing the MRI early, as she developed a low grade fever, and it did not show enough liquid around the infection to be concerned enough about draining it surgically. Her inflammatory markers also dropped 8 points today, so the Dr was very please with that. We will find out if her latest cultures are positive or negative tomorrow evening. Praying to go home Tuesday ❤

Good news! Glad things are getting better, even if it's a slow go. Do they know how she came to have this odd situation, or is it just one of those things they will never be able to pinpoint a cause for?

Here's the "problem." My name was engraved in small gold letters on the front cover.

I'm not familiar with anyway to remove engraving, but have you thought about jotting down family info and maybe passing it along to a family member eventually? Or maybe recording Church happenings in it and eventually passing it on to the Church? I know my husband's aunt has her mothers bible, and she jotted down little bits of family news in it. Like Jane had baby Jan., 1950. Or Jane & Dick married, Jan., 1949, or family picnic, the following 20 folks were there.... just that sorta stuff. I bet whomever (family or Church) received that they'd love it!

Welp - I've got a looonnnnggg meeting with the insurance company auditor which promises to be a snore-fest. I best get prepared for it.

Have good morning everyone!

@easyas123 [Glad things are getting better, even if it's a slow go. Do they know how she came to have this odd situation, or is it just one of those things they will never be able to pinpoint a cause for?]

As far as we know, they haven't been able to determine what caused any of it. None of the tests they have done so far have led them to any conclusions. She will be there for at least 48 more hours, or until she has 2 negative cultures. Madalyn's dad was able to get home from National Guard yesterday, saw her and then went home and got some sleep. Is going back this morning, and bringing her Mom the stuff she requested, and or needs. The hospital has been nice enough to let her Mother sleep there every night so far. They are so lucky that my sister and brother in law only live 1/2 mile from their house, and have had their older daughter and younger son, and their dog at their house since this happened. They are even taking care of the virtual schooling for them. If they need anything, they can quickly walk or drive to the other house and get it!

Last edited:
Good Morning Dis Family :)

Lynxstch, I am so happy Madalyn and her dad got to see one another! That is also wonderful she and her family live so close to other family that is able to help out right now. Continued prayers for all of you indeed!

AuntieMe3, I'm sorry, my friend, big hug. What a sad and hard situation :( Prayers indeed for all of you, as well!

What a wild weekend, Easyas123! Prayers you have a quieter Monday! Thank you for your Holy Bible ideas. Sadly, there would be no one in my immediate family at the moment for me to pass it onto. It doesn't have any recorded information in it, other than a brief inscription page which I could easily tear out. It's really in like new condition. An extra reason I would love to pass it on!

Great news! 🥳 Madalyn is getting around SO we’ll this morning and can even rotate her hip in a way that caused pain before. She has not needed ibuprofen for around 48 hours now for fever/pain. Her inflammatory markers have lowered to 28, but they want them down under 20 and won’t test them again until tomorrow morning. It was determined today that her culture that had started to grow and turned positive was actually a contaminant growing, so we have had 2 rounds of negative cultures! 🎉 There was also mention of the possibility of coming home with oral antibiotics instead of a PICC line, which would be amazing after all she has been through ❤️ So our 2 biggest prayer requests are that her numbers will get below 20 by tomorrow and that we can come home with oral antibiotics 🙏

She also received 11 cards from friends and family and one from her Sunday school class.

I am currently waiting for a heating company to come give us estimates on a new furnace. The one that was in the house when we bought it 17 years ago, stopped working after 2 years. (it was already old to start with), so we just used the wood stove, since some thoughtful person ran all the pipes thru the vents in the house. Kept us warm all winter. I called 6 places, left messages with 2, one was no longer in business..and the one we really wanted to use (same one we use for plumbing) said there is a 4-6 week wait for someone to come and give an estimate, lol. No thanks! One is just down the street, and she just called and said he will be out this afternoon, and we have another one coming out tomorrow afternoon. Wish us luck!

Hi All,

Happy Monday. I'm still praying for Madalyn @lynxstch and hope she can continue to be pain free as possible. Did you find any German goodies at Aldi's? I'm sorry I didn't get back here to answer before you went to the store.

I worked at an outdoor craft fair Saturday morning with a friend of mine. It was chilly! I had to break out jeans, long sleeve tshirt, flannel shirt and had blanket when we were sitting out at the booth. Saturday evening we had a good time with a few friends that are in our bubble. We had polka playing in background and with some good food, cold beers or wine and lots dessert ended up with Chicken dance too! You know that's when your gathering is a hit LOL

@ the QOTD: We have a will that also needs to be updated since we have left the Army. I had been married about 2 weeks when we had ot do our first will and they were very detailed in the Army. Imagine having to talk about what your husband would like for his funeral for "just in case" to include music and flowers and final locations. I was so emotional through it all. As things have progressed with my mom our finances, we have updated our wills and medical directives and POAs. Don't forget that those can have an expiration date and if you move to other states they may want will notarized in their state. Don't forget to check with your banking institutions and talk with an attorney about leaving money to a minor. It's incredibly difficult and complicated. My job in D.C. was working with loved ones after losing their military member. Want me to tell some awful stories about fighting and court cases and "kidnappings?" My first week on the job was the week of the Ft. Hood shootings. Talk about trial by fire.

@AuntieMe3 I'm sorry about your mom. I can't imagine how difficult that has to be for her to adjust and not necessarily know how to help. I was a hot mess after my hysterectomy, literally and figuratively! I had to pee all the time and felt like I could barely make it before I did and took months before it adjusted. Total TMI, sorry.

So, for ya'll dog people. I need guidance I guess unless I'm brave/stupid enough to start new topic. We are thinking/talking about getting a dog. We've never really had a dog between us and super nervous to do this. Any good advice?

Sending hugs all around!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter