Queen Elizabeth funeral and looking forward

Harry would be a complete and total disaster as regent. He's doesn't make great choices in life. Besides the fact...he quit the firm. He needs to be removed from the line of succession along with his kids. MO

Harry would be a complete and total disaster as regent. He's doesn't make great choices in life. Besides the fact...he quit the firm. He needs to be removed from the line of succession along with his kids. MO
I know a lot of people who feel the same way over here. I think Charles will be a good King - as a landlord and entrepreneur he's proven to be understanding and adaptable, in tune with the average man. William could also be OK. Harry started off ok, flying Apache helicopters in the war, but then things went south, what with that disastrous Oprah interview...

...As an aside, since I haven't watched The Crown, is there much humour in it? Do the writers have a light touch at all?
Nope, not even slightly. Personally, I love the show but it's important to remember that it's not an authorized biography of any of the Royals and considers itself a work of fiction. There are some very distinctive characterizations of them that should not be taken as fact; we actually know very little about who they really are; their emotional motivations, private temperaments and behaviors.

So many posts on who would be a regent & the effect on George if his father & grandfather died. There are protocols. Other than knowing that, I wouldn’t even want to keep dwelling on such a terrible tragedy happening to that little boy.
I completely agree.

The Regency Act of 1953 was the specific one with regard to minor children of QEII; once Edward came of age it ceased to apply, and as all of the potential Regents named in it are now dead, the 1937 Act is now controlling again -- at least until Parliament passes a new special Act with regard to the Heirs of KCIII, which I believe we will see very soon. Charles is dissatisfied with the current wobbly state of affairs with regard to Andrew and Harry's official expectations. He is going to want to make it legally clear as soon as possible.
Right, and Parliament was willing to add a special law because I assume they viewed Prince Philip as a better potential regent than Princess Margaret. I do not think George will ever be in this situation, but if he is Parliament might again create a special law.

With all due respect, in a thread about a funeral, what would be done in the event of an unexpected death would seem to germane to the topic at hand. A tragic scenario, of course, but as everyone in that family knows, the only way to get through such a public tragedy is to plan ahead for it when you are not blinded by grief.

There is a protocol, true enough, but the problem is that given Andrew's disgrace and Harry's seeming determination to try to bring down the monarchy by publicly tarring & feathering his family (and the civil servants who support the infrastructure they depend on for their existence), the current protocol is really, really, inadequate. It's a holdover from an era when the Monarchy answered to the Cabinet, but not to the UK public; those days are now gone, and they will be also, if they cannot keep the respect of the UK public.

Last edited:
Nope, not even slightly. Personally, I love the show but it's important to remember that it's not an authorized biography of any of the Royals and considers itself a work of fiction. There are some very distinctive characterizations of them that should not be taken as fact; we actually know very little about who they really are; their emotional motivations, private temperaments and behaviors.

A blog called the Court Jeweller did some wonderful episode recaps of the first 3 seasons discussing historical accuracy, etc. They were really fabulous if anyone is interested.

There is a protocol, true enough, but the problem is that given Andrew's disgrace and Harry's seeming determination to try to bring down the monarchy by publicly tarring & feathering his family (and the civil servants who support the infrastructure they depend on for their existence), the current protocol is really, really, inadequate. It's a holdover from an era when the Monarchy answered to the Cabinet, but not to the UK public; those days are now gone, and they will be also, if they cannot keep the respect of the UK public.
With all due respect this seems like an attack on the British constitutional monarchy system.
If posters were writing critical posts about the US government system they would get points.

Maybe we should keep the discussion away from government.

With all due respect this seems like an attack on the British constitutional monarchy system.
If posters were writing critical posts about the US government system they would get points.

Maybe we should keep the discussion away from government.
My apologies, as I don't intend it as an attack at all, and I'm not meaning to question the actions of the UK government, either. My comment was solely meant as speculation on what I believe KCIII's priorities will be regarding his ability to reasonably plan for changes to the structure of "The Firm" and how it is run going forward into the future, because public relations concerns have now taken on much more importance than they once had.

Folks in these threads have often quoted the Queen Mother's favorite adage to "Never complain, never explain", but in recent years we have seen that, good idea or not, today it is usually not enough to ignore negative press and hope that it will go away; the Sovereign has to be seen as making an effort to correct and learn from mis-steps. I think the new King is well aware of that, and will be looking for a clearer line of authority in terms of being able to, for want of a better word for it, "sack" family members whose actions or words may have become a severe liability to the Monarchy.

Last edited:
A blog called the Court Jeweller did some wonderful episode recaps of the first 3 seasons discussing historical accuracy, etc. They were really fabulous if anyone is interested.
Thank you; I am interested and I'll check it out. I'm hoping some portrayals will be debunked, most specifically how abominably the Royals treated Margaret Thatcher while she was their guest at Balmoral and the way they crafted a teenaged Prince Edward as a completely obnoxious little prig. :(

I see William as a life long learner. He's interested in (and studies) many subject areas. I expect we will hear him speak Welsh at his investiture.
William is probably on duolingo as we speak to learn Welsh.
I tried Welsh for a couple of lessons. The first sentences include 'good day, dragon'. Seems appropriate 😉

In the Netherlands you don't have to be of royal blood to become regent of your underage heir to the throne.
Our Queen Wilhelmina was about 10 when her father died, and her mother Emma reigned as regent till her 18th birthday.

And yes, I miss the coverage. I am on the TA cruise and we have BBC World for the news, but now that it is over... the news hasnt been very pleasant .
(We also have BBC HD so i can watch Father Brown, Death in Paradise and Keeping Up Appearances when I need a break from too much Disney in a day 😉. And they have Bargain Hunt with Anita Manning 😀!)

Last edited:
Checked out the daily mail online yesterday and was bummed they went back to other global news. No more Royals only on the homepage. Feel now like its really all over..

BTW did Harry and Meghan go back to the US yet? didnt catch anything online about that or not. I am surprised they didnt fly their kids over...or maybe they did and nobody caught wind of it.

Checked out the daily mail online yesterday and was bummed they went back to other global news. No more Royals only on the homepage. Feel now like its really all over..

BTW did Harry and Meghan go back to the US yet? didnt catch anything online about that or not. I am surprised they didnt fly their kids over...or maybe they did and nobody caught wind of it.

The only thing I read is that they were anxious to return home. Their kids are still very little and they have been away for over two weeks.

The only thing I read is that they were anxious to return home. Their kids are still very little and they have been away for over two weeks.
I've read they flew from Heathrow to LA Tues.
I'm sure the Cali kids have very good nannies who keep their days and schedules normal. Still, it's always good to get home.

Thank you; I am interested and I'll check it out. I'm hoping some portrayals will be debunked, most specifically how abominably the Royals treated Margaret Thatcher while she was their guest at Balmoral and the way they crafted a teenaged Prince Edward as a completely obnoxious little prig. :(
Unfortunately, she stopped doing the blogs beore Margaret Thatcher came on the scene I think. Apparently they took an obscene amount of time to research and write. But they were super interesting anyway.

William is probably on duolingo as we speak to learn Welsh.
I tried Welsh for a couple of lessons. The first sentences include 'good day, dragon'. Seems appropriate 😉

In the Netherlands you don't have to be of royal blood to become regent of your underage heir to the throne.
Our Queen Wilhelmina was about 10 when her father died, and her mother Emma reigned as regent till her 18th birthday.

And yes, I miss the coverage. I am on the TA cruise and we have BBC World for the news, but now that it is over... the news hasnt been very pleasant .
(We also have BBC HD so i can watch Father Brown, Death in Paradise and Keeping Up Appearances when I need a break from too much Disney in a day 😉. And they have Bargain Hunt with Anita Manning 😀!)
Surely he knew this was a likely outcome and would have been working on it already?

Yeah, hardly any humour. Takes itself deadly seriously lol. Still very fascinating, however I think the first season was the best. It seemed to try and get to the humanity behind the crown, the struggles of a young woman being thrust into being Queen.

Later seasons seem to have a change in tone, showing everyone in the worst, cynical light possible. Its as though they are all portrayed as being nothing more than their worst Daily Mail headline lol.

Its well done though, and an interesting look at certain historical times, if you take it for what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter