Quest for the West vs. Southwest Splendors

Hmmm, well the first night, now that you mention it, there was a table set up with drinks. DH always retrieved ours, and as he had started a tab BEFORE the dinner started, I had assumed that everything went on that. I guess I was wrong about it.

I didn't do the pizza place at GC, so don't know about that. I will edit my post to take that out. I was making assumptions (and you know what that makes...) based on what others in our group had reported about that meal.

I do know we paid for our beer on the last night, though, and were told at dinner on our own that we had to pay for "special" drinks, ie, soda or alcohol. We did have a truly surly waitress that night, though, so perhaps it was just her and not ABD policy.

I guess where it really showed up to me was at times like the lunch at Red Cliffs, where there was the water/lemonade area but sodas were displayed at kid eye level and we were mixed in with families other than ABDers. Naturally, all the kids wanted the sodas they saw the other kids drinking, and frankly so did I. We had to go to a little window and charge those to our room.

I suppose that I've been overly negative about the drink thing. Put in the most charitable light, they were probably making sure we stayed hydrated by pushing the water. And as it was always bottled water, they weren't being cheap - it costs as much as soda.

otoh: It was just a thing that chafed me a little in comparison to the last trip. There was always a broad choice at meals in Peru, and the only time, really only one time, that sodas were not included was at Machu Picchu - this was the Lodge's policy, not ABD's, and our guides insisted on paying for our sodas themselves when the saw that everyone had ordered them thinking they were included.

Still, the whole point of reviewing here is to give an accurate picture, so I'm going to go back and remove all the drink comments. I'm glad to be wrong about it, since it means ABD isn't "slipping" as much as I felt like on initial reaction. :upsidedow

So I guess that means we'll probably have Geraldine and Maura on our trip in a few weeks? (Hi, Geraldine and Maura - see you soon!)

I am truly getting excited for the trip, despite everything. I think I am going to go for the helicopter ride at the Grand Canyon - DH really wants to do it, and since this is likely to be our only family trip to the southwest :rotfl: we might as well do it this time!

As for the drinks - as with so many things, it seems like it is the way that things are presented that effects us as much as the things themselves. If the sodas hadn't been displayed, you probably wouldn't have cared so much that only water and lemonade was available. Unless, of course, you really like soda... By any chance, was iced tea around? It also sounds like the guides are really trying to minimize the annoying parts of the trip, which of course is in their interest, but I think they have a lot to do with the experience as well.

Just back from SWS and we had an Incredible time!! I can't wait to give details (no time now) but it really exceeded our expectations! And....we found the Thunderbird to be quite satisfactory...in other words, we wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Our guides were Korey and Geraldine...LOVED THEM!! Can't wait to give more details and I will soon. I promise!!!

Whiteside61--I woulld love to hear the details about your trip! We did SWS last summer and had a wonderful time. I'm glad to hear your trip was great.

Turtlemom

Just back from SWS and we had an Incredible time!! I can't wait to give details (no time now) but it really exceeded our expectations! And....we found the Thunderbird to be quite satisfactory...in other words, we wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Our guides were Korey and Geraldine...LOVED THEM!! Can't wait to give more details and I will soon. I promise!!!
Whee! Looking forward to your report!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter