Quest for the West vs. Southwest Splendors

brewcrew

DIS Veteran
I was talking with the kiddos about going to the Grand Canyon and they said "Can we go to Yellowstone instead?" Has anyone done both to compare them? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be disappointed in either but was hoping for some feedback. Thanks alot!

I went on the Southwest one but not the Quest for the west. In reading the descriptions the Wyoming one seems to be more active then the Southwest one. Read the desciptions of each to see what activities you will be doing and what will appeal to your family the most

Give me a month and I'll give you the answer! We did Southwest Splendors last summer and are doing Quest for the West in July. I'll let you know how they compare.
I found Southwest Splendors very active. It was our best vacation ever! SayHello has an awesome trip report that I would highly recommend you read.
Highlights of our trip for us (we are a family of 6--me, dh, dd 19, ds 11, ds 9, and dd6) were the hike to delicate arch, the jeeps in sedona, white water rafting, helicopter rides over grand canyon*, horseback riding*, hummer rock climbing*, and everyone's absolute favorite the ATVs*.
(Anything with an asterisk after it is an optional excursion at an additional charge.)
I would highly recommend Southwest Splendors. And from what we hear Quest for the West is their most popular itinerary. We'll see soon!

:) I see jenbadeaux pimped my Trip Report already! :thumbsup2 I would pay her for the PR, but, hmmmm.... I'm not making any profit off this, either! If only I could get a commission from ABD.

I have not taken Quest for the West, so I cannot comment on a comparison of the 2 trips. As jenbadeaux says, it *is* one of ABD's most popular itineraries. Southwest Splendors, though, is a FABULOUS, active, fascinating, fun-filled trip, and one of the best vacations I've ever taken. I would HIGHLY recommend it. (Although I don't think you could go wrong with *either* trip!)

See the link in my Signature for my Trip Report on Southwest Splendors. Enjoy!

Sayhello

Give me a month and I'll give you the answer! We did Southwest Splendors last summer and are doing Quest for the West in July. I'll let you know how they compare.
I found Southwest Splendors very active. It was our best vacation ever! SayHello has an awesome trip report that I would highly recommend you read.
Highlights of our trip for us (we are a family of 6--me, dh, dd 19, ds 11, ds 9, and dd6) were the hike to delicate arch, the jeeps in sedona, white water rafting, helicopter rides over grand canyon*, horseback riding*, hummer rock climbing*, and everyone's absolute favorite the ATVs*.
(Anything with an asterisk after it is an optional excursion at an additional charge.)
I would highly recommend Southwest Splendors. And from what we hear Quest for the West is their most popular itinerary. We'll see soon!

Hi jenbadeaux! Have you returned from Quest yet? Any comparisons? Thanks!

Brewcrew,
We fly out day after tomorrow(Thursday) at 6:30am. Trying to figure out what to pack! Will post next Thursday when we return.
Jen

We fly out day after tomorrow(Thursday) at 6:30am. Trying to figure out what to pack! Will post next Thursday when we return.
Jen

We leave Aug 25th very interested in your perspective on the trip and the weather! I am actually going through our wardrobe tonight to see what I have and what I may need to get! So any advise is welcome:thumbsup2

Brewcrew,
Jen
Have a GREAT trip Jen! Looking forward to your report when you get back!

Sayhello

Me toooo! We're taking the August 11 trip, so I'm very excited to hear from Jenbadeaux about her trip! From the news reports, looks like it might be warmer than usual in Wyoming, but I'm sure its cooler than it is here in Virginia!

Turtlemom :woohoo:

Hello all! We leave tomorrow morning (Friday) at 6:30 am to fly to phoenix! Our southwest tour starts on Saturday the 25th! we are packing in earnest today! I thought we were all set, but now some of our kids(we have four children) are notifying me that they need new water shoes, more shorts, new sneakers....you know, the day before we leave. :rolleyes: so, it will be a hectic day plus wrapping up work to get away for 11 days. Oh well, we are so excited!!! Will check in and report when we return after August 4th!

Good luck and have a great time! I'm actually getting worried about where to buy water shoes this time of the summer - where did you find them?

Have a GREAT trip, whiteside61!!! Can't wait to hear your report when you get back.

Good luck with all the last minute crazies! Kids! Whatcha gonna do? :confused3

Sayhello

We're in McLean, VA--right outside of D.C.

Ok Cool! Hope you guys have an awesome trip! Looking forward to a great report! You are so lucky to live near the "BIG" airports! getting air out of Norfolk is such a treat!:rotfl:

[QUOTE I'm actually getting worried about where to buy water shoes this time of the summer - where did you find them?[/QUOTE]

Try lands end. They ship pretty fast. I don't know when you are leaving. Also try places like target and Kmart. Go now.

BrewCrew,
We are back from our Quest for the West! Having done Southwest Splendors last summer, I feel like I might be able to provide you some insight on the differences in the two tours.
We had a lovely trip with a lovely group of people. Interestingly, 5 of the 7 families had done an ABD already. 3 of us had done Southwest Splendors(2 of us last summer and the other family in 2007) and the other 2 families had done Costa Rica(seperately, not together). I think this caused the group to bond much more quickly than last year. Everyone was already comfortable with group travel and ABD. Although it took a few more days for us to come together at Southwest Splendors, we became a very tight knit group and still keep up with several families from that trip. Our guides on SWS were Maura and Geraldine, on Q4tW we had Landon and Daniel.
So, which trip to do? They are similar in that both trips start at a nice hotel, then do a national parks hotel which is rustic but clean and definitely serviceable with a GREAT location, and then end up at a SPECTACULAR resort with many outdoor activities.
At SWS, you board the motorcoach instantly and have it all week. There is a lot of bus time because you see alot of sights. The longest ride is 6 hours, broken into two 3 hour segments seperated by a trip through monument valley. We came to know our bus driver well and felt like he was a member of the tour team. At Q4tW, you only have a bus on day 3,4 and 5. The trip is a day shorter than SWS. The longest bus ride is 4.5 hours split into a 1.5 hour ride and a 3 hour ride. The bus rides never seem long, and they play movies and games to make the time pass. But if your kids do not like long drives, then this may be a factor.
How does your family do with getting up in the morning? SWS had lots of early bag pulls and meeting times. We are early morning people, so this was fine. Q4tW has some early mornings, but also several mornings where you don't meet until 9am.
Q4tW seemed to us (and to all 3 families I polled who have done both) to have alot more on your own time. SWS tended to keep us busier and when we had down time, it was quickly filled with optional excursions or special surprises such as passes to the IMAX presentation of the Grand Canyon(fabulous) or the invitation to take the bus as a group in the evening of on your own time to watch the sunset at the canyon(stayed at the Grand then remember) and then to eat pizza and Disney picked up the drinks for us. (Our whole group chose to do this). We all remarked that there really were no special surprises on Q4tW. They made our dinner ressies but that was about it. Totally by the handbook. Does your family want more or less down time?
White water rafting: much more intense rapids at Q4tW. Water is cold(49 degrees) so not as much swimming and no bucket fights like on SWS. Also no chance at a "dry" raft for older/younger guests who want to avoid getting soaked. You will get VERY wet. No way past it, got to go through it. We found both trips fun, but different.
Hiking: On SWS there is another option on the Delicate Arch hike for those who find it too strenuous. They can do a bus tour of the other arches in the park. On Q4tW there is no option. You have to hike(or sit in the parking lot for several hours, I guess). No options given. While it is shaded and cool, there are some pretty good inclines and the whole hike is on rocky, very uneven surfaces, and the air is thin at that altitude(almost 8000 feet). Fine for kids and most adults, but on SWS we had some older ladies that might have found this challenging.
No one could answer which trip they liked best(and I quizzed everyone!). They are both alot of fun with alot to see and do. If you have any specific questions, I"ll be happy to try to answer them.

jenbadeaux,

Glad to see you back, and that you had a good time on Q4tW! Interesting comparison of the 2 trips! Will you be doing a trip report on top of this? :)

Interesting that so many families were on 2nd ABD's and that they were SWS & Costa Rica. There's been a whole thread trying to choose between these 3 trips...

Sayhello

BrewCrew,
We are back from our Quest for the West! Having done Southwest Splendors last summer, I feel like I might be able to provide you some insight on the differences in the two tours.
We had a lovely trip with a lovely group of people. Interestingly, 5 of the 7 families had done an ABD already. 3 of us had done Southwest Splendors(2 of us last summer and the other family in 2007) and the other 2 families had done Costa Rica(seperately, not together). I think this caused the group to bond much more quickly than last year. Everyone was already comfortable with group travel and ABD. Although it took a few more days for us to come together at Southwest Splendors, we became a very tight knit group and still keep up with several families from that trip. Our guides on SWS were Maura and Geraldine, on Q4tW we had Landon and Daniel.
So, which trip to do? They are similar in that both trips start at a nice hotel, then do a national parks hotel which is rustic but clean and definitely serviceable with a GREAT location, and then end up at a SPECTACULAR resort with many outdoor activities.
At SWS, you board the motorcoach instantly and have it all week. There is a lot of bus time because you see alot of sights. The longest ride is 6 hours, broken into two 3 hour segments seperated by a trip through monument valley. We came to know our bus driver well and felt like he was a member of the tour team. At Q4tW, you only have a bus on day 3,4 and 5. The trip is a day shorter than SWS. The longest bus ride is 4.5 hours split into a 1.5 hour ride and a 3 hour ride. The bus rides never seem long, and they play movies and games to make the time pass. But if your kids do not like long drives, then this may be a factor.
How does your family do with getting up in the morning? SWS had lots of early bag pulls and meeting times. We are early morning people, so this was fine. Q4tW has some early mornings, but also several mornings where you don't meet until 9am.
Q4tW seemed to us (and to all 3 families I polled who have done both) to have alot more on your own time. SWS tended to keep us busier and when we had down time, it was quickly filled with optional excursions or special surprises such as passes to the IMAX presentation of the Grand Canyon(fabulous) or the invitation to take the bus as a group in the evening of on your own time to watch the sunset at the canyon(stayed at the Grand then remember) and then to eat pizza and Disney picked up the drinks for us. (Our whole group chose to do this). We all remarked that there really were no special surprises on Q4tW. They made our dinner ressies but that was about it. Totally by the handbook. Does your family want more or less down time?
White water rafting: much more intense rapids at Q4tW. Water is cold(49 degrees) so not as much swimming and no bucket fights like on SWS. Also no chance at a "dry" raft for older/younger guests who want to avoid getting soaked. You will get VERY wet. No way past it, got to go through it. We found both trips fun, but different.
Hiking: On SWS there is another option on the Delicate Arch hike for those who find it too strenuous. They can do a bus tour of the other arches in the park. On Q4tW there is no option. You have to hike(or sit in the parking lot for several hours, I guess). No options given. While it is shaded and cool, there are some pretty good inclines and the whole hike is on rocky, very uneven surfaces, and the air is thin at that altitude(almost 8000 feet). Fine for kids and most adults, but on SWS we had some older ladies that might have found this challenging.
No one could answer which trip they liked best(and I quizzed everyone!). They are both alot of fun with alot to see and do. If you have any specific questions, I"ll be happy to try to answer them.

So refreshing to hear you had a great time! Awesome!

Since you are a seasoned ADB'R did you feel that any corners were cut on this trip. With the lodging? the Food? Did you feel that the description of the trip met your expectations?

We leave on the 25th!

Thx HG

BrewCrew,

or special surprises such as passes to the IMAX presentation of the Grand Canyon(fabulous) or the invitation to take the bus as a group in the evening of on your own time to watch the sunset at the canyon(stayed at the Grand then remember) and then to eat pizza and Disney picked up the drinks for us. (Our whole group chose to do this). We all remarked that there really were no special surprises on Q4tW.

Having been on SWS this year, I want to clarify a few differences between Jenbadeaux's experiences and the current offerings:

The national parks hotel on SWS (different this year) is NOT clean or serviceable by any defintion. It is a hell hole. Though, yes, it does have a great location.

There were no special surprises on SWS this year. You could go to the IMAX, but you were paying for it.

I think special surprises in general have gone the way of the dodo this year wtih ABD. They're still good trips, but it's important when making a choice between two trips to compare the current offerings. Of course, I'm keeping hope alive that Disney will go back to super service in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter