Quest for the West vs. Southwest Splendors

Kristilew,
I read your posts on your Thunderbird experience. I am truly sorry. We were very happy at the Grand--maybe Disney will return there.
Interesting that all the "extras" were gone on SWS this year as well.

HappyGrumpy,
I never felt that corners were cut--just no special touches. They kept to the book. But the book had some awesome things in it. The Wort was very nice. Our rooms were seperated far from our children and they rectified that immediately. We were not connecting, but we were right next door. In Jackson, there is quite a bit of on your own time. We LOVED the Alpine Slide--I'd recommend buying 3 rides apiece--that was perfect. The Maze was also enjoyed by the kids--you will pass it on your way to the Alpine Slide. Jackson is very walkable, and it took us about 15 minutes to walk to the Slide. We did both those things on Day 1(arrival day).
For day 2, we had booked a hot air balloon ride through the Wyoming Ballooning Company but it was cancelled for weather. You can book this in advance for Day 2--you do not have anywhere to be until 11:15(except to grab breakfast)-- and the trip is 6am-9am and they pick you up and drop off at Wort. When that cancelled there wasn't much left for us to do in Jackson except for Ripley's Believe It or Not which killed time but certainly wasn't my first choice!
Things I wish I'd known--the Jackson playhouse where you go for lunch on Day 2 is doing a production of Grease at night. Supposed to be really good. Would have been such a treat for Disney to surprise us with tickets! By the time we found out about it at lunch on Day 2, we already had plans that night to have dinner with relatives that live closeby in Alpine.

The Old Faithful Snow Lodge was great! We had the lobby to ourselves at night--we'd sit up sipping wine and visiting. Very nice lobby--quiet, cozy, and clean. The rooms were immaculately clean. No TV, no AC, but this is national park policy in all national parks. Disney can't make them have AC, nor can they build hotel on National Park land. So they have truly given you the best option available. We went to the Old Faithful Inn and wandered into the rooms being cleaned to compare. The lobby is IMPRESSIVE--but the rooms are decidedly not. No bathrooms in rooms--common ones in hall--think college dorm. Obviously no AC, no TV. They have a newer wing with bathrooms in rooms, but older than Snow lodge with stains in tubs. Trust me you are where you should be. In Snow Lodge, GREAT gift shops!
Things I wish I'd known: Apparently the front desk has a limited number of extension cords available. Wish I knew and had asked for one. Or pack a small one--you'll thank me! The fan would be so much more effective if you could get it in front of the window. No outlets anywhere by windows. Guides told us this is #1 complaint they get. But I slept fine--just used sheet not comforter for covers.

And, oh, Brooks Lake Lodge. Lovely, lovely place. We had the 2 bedroom cabin with loft called Avalanche. I asked--it rents for $2900/night. Wow.
The spa is fabulous--I recommend the ginger lime salt glow or a massage.
Enjoyed horseback riding in morning, fly fishing in afternoon, canoeing on our own. Some people hiked. Inside there is darts, ping pong, table shuffleboard(may have to buy that--it was the hit with ALL the kids and adults). Food was gourmet and SPECTACULAR! Adam is the manager and he is wonderful--your wish is his command!

So no extras, but did get what we expected which was a fabulous trip, many new friends, and great memories. You will have a wonderful time--enjoy!

The Old Faithful Snow Lodge was great! We had the lobby to ourselves at night--we'd sit up sipping wine and visiting. Very nice lobby--quiet, cozy, and clean. The rooms were immaculately clean. No TV, no AC, but this is national park policy in all national parks. Disney can't make them have AC, nor can they build hotel on National Park land. So they have truly given you the best option available. We went to the Old Faithful Inn and wandered into the rooms being cleaned to compare. The lobby is IMPRESSIVE--but the rooms are decidedly not. No bathrooms in rooms--common ones in hall--think college dorm. Obviously no AC, no TV. They have a newer wing with bathrooms in rooms, but older than Snow lodge with stains in tubs. Trust me you are where you should be. In Snow Lodge, GREAT gift shops!
Things I wish I'd known: Apparently the front desk has a limited number of extension cords available. Wish I knew and had asked for one. Or pack a small one--you'll thank me! The fan would be so much more effective if you could get it in front of the window. No outlets anywhere by windows. Guides told us this is #1 complaint they get. But I slept fine--just used sheet not comforter for covers.

Thank You so much for your info and your advise! Outstanding!! Glad your home safe and had a great time!

HG

HappyGrumpy,
I never felt that corners were cut--just no special touches. They kept to the book. But the book had some awesome things in it. The Wort was very nice. Our rooms were seperated far from our children and they rectified that immediately. We were not connecting, but we were right next door. In Jackson, there is quite a bit of on your own time. We LOVED the Alpine Slide--I'd recommend buying 3 rides apiece--that was perfect. The Maze was also enjoyed by the kids--you will pass it on your way to the Alpine Slide. Jackson is very walkable, and it took us about 15 minutes to walk to the Slide. We did both those things on Day 1(arrival day).
For day 2, we had booked a hot air balloon ride through the Wyoming Ballooning Company but it was cancelled for weather. You can book this in advance for Day 2--you do not have anywhere to be until 11:15(except to grab breakfast)-- and the trip is 6am-9am and they pick you up and drop off at Wort. When that cancelled there wasn't much left for us to do in Jackson except for Ripley's Believe It or Not which killed time but certainly wasn't my first choice!
Things I wish I'd known--the Jackson playhouse where you go for lunch on Day 2 is doing a production of Grease at night. Supposed to be really good. Would have been such a treat for Disney to surprise us with tickets! By the time we found out about it at lunch on Day 2, we already had plans that night to have dinner with relatives that live closeby in Alpine.

And, oh, Brooks Lake Lodge. Lovely, lovely place. We had the 2 bedroom cabin with loft called Avalanche. I asked--it rents for $2900/night. Wow.
The spa is fabulous--I recommend the ginger lime salt glow or a massage.
Enjoyed horseback riding in morning, fly fishing in afternoon, canoeing on our own. Some people hiked. Inside there is darts, ping pong, table shuffleboard(may have to buy that--it was the hit with ALL the kids and adults). Food was gourmet and SPECTACULAR! Adam is the manager and he is wonderful--your wish is his command!

So no extras, but did get what we expected which was a fabulous trip, many new friends, and great memories. You will have a wonderful time--enjoy!

THANK YOU for posting this! We leave on Saturday for our QFTW trip and another thread is filled with disappointments and although I like advanced warning had me feeling uneasy about our vacation.

A couple of questions if you'd be so kind:
1. Do you need actual hiking shoes (or would it be nice to have them) over a pair of sturdy tennis shoes for the hikes?

2. How much was the balloon ride going to be for a family of four? I have never done this and it would certainly be unique!

:goodvibes Teresa

I too thank you for posting.

In addition to the question on hiking boots (I'm planning on bringing mine), do you think I can use crocs for the white water rafting.

I'm a first time ABD person.

Luggage: I understand that we can each bring one piece of luggage. I normally only take 1 piece plus a carry-on. I'm planning on bringing the ABD back pack. Can I bring a carry-on plus the backpack during the trip? I'm asking about the trip itself, not about the restrictions of the airlines.

Thanks for the info. Have a good day.

I too thank you for posting.

In addition to the question on hiking boots (I'm planning on bringing mine), do you think I can use crocs for the white water rafting.

I'm a first time ABD person.

Luggage: I understand that we can each bring one piece of luggage. I normally only take 1 piece plus a carry-on. I'm planning on bringing the ABD back pack. Can I bring a carry-on plus the backpack during the trip? I'm asking about the trip itself, not about the restrictions of the airlines.

Thanks for the info. Have a good day.

I heard that you can wear the crocks rafting IF they have a back on them. I'll tell you for sure in a week :cool1:

In answer to the above questions:

Tennis shoes are fine for the hikes. I just looked back at our pics and scrutinized the shoes. Everyone in tennis shoes except 2 people in hiking boots. Found my tennis shoes perfect.

Crocs were the shoe of choice for the white water rafting. MUST have strap on them and MUST be positioned behind your heel. I wore water shoes because I am the one nerd in the world who does not own crocs. My kids and husband all wore their crocs. Absolutely NO flip flops allowed. (The guides will tell you this the night before.)

Hot air ballooning--will run you around $1000 for a family of 4, depending on age of children. Unlike SWS, their are not many add on excursions available for this trip. So if you decide to bite the bullet and do the ballooning, it will be about your only big out of pocket expense. We talked to different ballooning companies, but went with this one for a few reasons. The pick up time was later (5:45 compared to 4:30), the pick up and drop off was included in the price(others were $100 extra per person!!), they have a 20 year unblemished safety record, and they came highly recommended from a travel agent. The website is http://www.wyomingballoon.com/indexani.html.

Carry ons on the bus: You can carry on the bus whatever you'd like. There is overhead storage(like airplanes) above the seats. But the beauty of this trip is you should not need to be carrying around much of anything! Do not bother packing sunscreen or bug spray--the guides keep bottles and bottles of it in their backpack and pass it to you as you exit the bus to apply. They tote it along on the hike if you need more. They have snacks aplenty on the bus and water is handed to you at the beginning of each hike. When done, crush bottle and hand empty to guide. He will put it in his backpack and dispose of it when the hike is over. Need more water? It's in your guides backpack. For things to do on bus ride--we played Disney jeopardy, watched movies, spotted wildlife out the window--herds and herds of bison, just like your 4th grade social studies book pictures--amazing. Bus time is bonding time with the group. The guides have activity books and crayons for the kids. Mine bring gameboys, but use them much less frequently than you would think.

I wore water shoes because I am the one nerd in the world who does not own crocs.
Nope, you're one of two! :yay: I've tried to like crocs, but just do not find them comfortable! I wore my Keens for the rafting on SWS...

Sayhello

Are they really telling us one piece of luggage each, not counting carry-ons? In other words, can't we bring one suitcase/duffel, plus a carry-on, and the guides will transport those bags from place to place? I'd be surprised.

It's really too bad about the lack of surprises and extras. Last summer we were given wine, without extra charge, at all of the included dinners. Maybe it's just different in Europe, but it is strange that they wouldn't even include soda.

I haven't seen many posts on this board lately for the Italy trips, at least other than Dottie's. I wonder if they are cutting corners in Europe as well?

I'm trying to keep up my spirits for this trip, and the hotels at the beginning and end look nice. But you can guarantee I won't be making reservations in August of 2009 for another Disney trip next summer. Seems like a good time to wait and investigate other options.

Hi, I just came back from the Costa Rica trip. Wine was included and left at the table at only one of the resorts, however soda was always include with meals.

Thanks for all the great info on QFtW. Jenbadeaux--glad to hear you had a great time. We leave on our trip in about 1 week. I have one other question about the whitewater rafting on Quest. I've got water shoes--but what do you wear???? On SWS we all wore swimsuits and shorts, but it sounds like its going to be COLD on the Snake River. Did you wear a swimsuit? or warmer clothes. Any suggestions????

Thanks in advance!

Turtlemom. :confused3

We wore bathing suits. Wet suits are available for rental (around $8) before you get to the river when the bus stops at the rafting company office. We were strongly discouraged from getting one, as the guides told us that while the water is cold, the sun is hot. I still wanted one, but did not go rent one, because everyone would have had to wait on me while I filled out paperwork, tried them on, etc. It rained and was overcast during our rafting, but they did provide rain jackets and rain pants at the launch site for free. They were blue and looked like the Gorton's fisherman's outfit. Everyone partook of these. Feel free to go to www.floatographs.com and look at our rafting pics--just look under Barker-Ewing as the rafting co. and Bernie as the guide on 7/24/09 at 2pm(may say 1:30pm--can't remember).
Towards the end of the rafting, the sun did come out and the rain stopped. It did get very warm, very quickly, so I do understand the guides point.

Okay, I just got home from camping and was excited to read your review! First off, don't camp in Florida in August. Second, I HATE CROCS! Give me a good old pair of water shoes too! I am glad that you had a good time. I think either SWS of QFTW will be fine for our family! We're goin on this trip to see some of our beautiful country so I don't think we'll be disappointed in either. Well, maybe except for the Thunderbird. welcome home and thank you for all of your help!

Thanks again Jenbadeaux! Great pix!!!! I'm definitely not too proud to look like a Gorton's fisherman, so I will wait for the water pants and jacket rather than the wet suit. One last question--how hot/warm was it on your trip?? I'm still trying to figure out whether to pack mostly long pants or shorts. And do I need more than one fleece top for the evenings???? Just can't get a good feel for this on weather.com, which gives one temperature (around the mid 70's) for all of Yellowstone!

Thanks!!!

Turtlemom :surfweb:

Temperatures are very different than here in the South. 42 degrees there is NOTHING like 42 degrees here! Not nearly as cold, because it is so dry.

Basically mornings are brisk, around 40s or 50. Layers are the key. I did capris and tanks with long sleeve jacket. By 11am or 12, you are shucking the jacket and tying around waist. By 6 or 7pmish, jacket is going back on. Many people did shorts, tanks, jackets. Afternoons are hot, especially in Jackson(1st 2 days of trip) because not as much shade. On hikes, there is plenty of shade, so my capris were fine, but shorts would have been fine as well.

As another point of interest, Wyoming doesn't have nearly the amount of night that we do. It surprised us that it doesn't get dark until around 9:30pm, and the sun comes up around 5:30am.

Hope this helps!

Also--check the weather for Dubois, WY for Brooks Lake Lodge. It is much higher elevation, so temps in Yellowstone are not as accurate. I also find www.wunderground.com to be a better source of weather information--just my opinion.

Thanks!!!!!! That helps tremendously. I was getting ready to pack long jeans and sweatshirts. I know we'll need one pair of Jeans for horseback riding, but I won't pack too many long/heavy pants. We probably would have roasted! But low 70's sound cold for a Virginia girl. Back to capris and t-shirts with jackets (with a few shorts thrown in). I'll also check out your weather website. Thanks for all the help.

Turtlemom :worship:

I didn't get that "surprise and delight" feeling that I expected from Disney on SWS. I am a very well traveled person and have traveled with my young boys (9 and 10) through many parts of the US, Europe and Asia. We have seen a lot, and expected a little more "pixie dust" from Disney. With that said, we did have a great time. Kristilew I think we were on the same SWS trip.

hi, Sue :wave2: Welcome to the Disboards! I've actually already mentioned your reaction on one of these threads, talking about your good experience with A-L tours. You should post a link to your pictures - they are awesome.

For anyone doing SWS, SueT did the helicopter ride over the GC and her pics are amazing - it definitely looks worth doing.

hey Kristilew...i was surprised to hear that you guys didn't get any included drinks other than lemonade on your SWS tour. On ours, we were "treated" to beer, wine and sodas on the first night, but they made a point of telling us this was a special treat ''on ABD"....then, at the Grand Canyon,on the night we had on our own, they invited us to the pizza place in town, and ABD picked up the tab on our non-alcoholic drinks, on our on-your-own night at Red Cliffs Lodge, the included dinner in the restaurant, also included any sodas that we wanted, and the final dinner at Red Cliffs, all drinks were complimentary; cocktails, beer, wine and soft drinks. I wonder why the differences, since we were only 2 weeks after you?:confused3

Do you think the differences have to do with the guides? KJD's experience is the same as ours from last summer on SWS. We had Geraldine and Maura as our guides. Do you mind me asking who your guides were KJD and Kristilew?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter