Question about borrowing and then canceling

FireflyTrance

DIS Veteran
I booked a 1 bedroom villa at GCV for this April which ended up being 124 points. Since I didn't have enough points in my 2018 UY I borrowed some from my 2019 UY. I now want to cancel that trip and go during a time that is less points. Is it possible to put my borrowed points back into the 2019 UY?

I guess I am generally confused about what happens when I cancel and then book a trip with less points. If I can't put the 2019 UY points back then I would have to use them this year? How do I pick which UY points I am using to book my new trip? Thanks for any insight!

Points need to be banked during the first 8 months of your UY. Your UY is not a calendar year. Points need to be available during the dates of your stay, not when you make the reservation. Banking moves points one UY forward, borrowing moves points one UY back. Banking and borrowing are final transactions and can not be reversed.

Have MS use the borrowed points for your reservation. They are supposed to do this but it sometimes doesn't happen.

:earsboy: Bill

Points need to be banked during the first 8 months of your UY. Your UY is not a calendar year. Points need to be available during the dates of your stay, not when you make the reservation. Banking moves points one UY forward, borrowing moves points one UY back. Banking and borrowing are final transactions and can not be reversed.

Have MS use the borrowed points for your reservation. They are supposed to do this but it sometimes doesn't happen.

I understand that the UY is not the same as a calendar year. Since my UY is Feb I tend to think of it like a calendar year since I don't generally travel in Jan :rotfl2:

Do you know if I book the new reservation on the website if it will automatically use the borrowed points first? Will I have an option to select those points? Or is it better just to call? I am trying to book in mid-Dec of this year so the 11 month window isn't open yet. Thanks for any insight!

Once you borrow points, they remain in the use year you borrowed them into. You can't put them back.

I think there is a way to do that online, I've always done it online, but I can't remember what it is right now.

If you call, MS should be able to reallocate your points so that the borrowed points are used for your April reservation. However, since your banking window has passed, they probably won't allow you to bank the 2018 points. You'd probably have to use them in your 2018 Use Year or lose them.

Last year I purchased a few "one time" points to make a reservation that I later changed - and no longer needed the extra points. The "one time" points could not be banked, but MS was able to reallocate the points used on my reservation so that I could use the "one time" points and bank the 2017 points.

Yes, the online reservation pulls borrowed then banked points first before current points. At least as long as you select the contract the borrowed and banked points are in. It does it automatically then.

If you call, MS should be able to reallocate your points so that the borrowed points are used for your April reservation. However, since your banking window has passed, they probably won't allow you to bank the 2018 points. You'd probably have to use them in your 2018 Use Year or lose them.

I thought I could still bank 2018 UY points. My UY is Feb, so I thought I had until Sept of 2018 to bank those points?

As long as you cancel the April trip before booking the Dec trip, the online system will automatically use those borrowed points first. Make your Dec reservation before Sept 30, so you can bank your remaining 2018 points. The main point is to free up those borrowed points by cancelling the unwanted reservation first, otherwise the borrowed points won’t be available to use first, they will still be tied up in the April reservation.

Banking and borrowing are final transactions and can not be reversed.
Normally this would be the case, but if you know that you aren't gonna use the borrowed points, I would call MS and ask if they could help you out. I would even call more than once if the first cast member said no. They are allowed and should say no, on the other hand more and more people tend to get MS to bend the rules.

I had this done for me once, and I didn't even ask for it. Cast member just asked and filled out a form and the day after the points was back in their regular UY.

Normally this would be the case, but if you know that you aren't gonna use the borrowed points, I would call MS and ask if they could help you out. I would even call more than once if the first cast member said no. They are allowed and should say no, on the other hand more and more people tend to get MS to bend the rules.

I had this done for me once, and I didn't even ask for it. Cast member just asked and filled out a form and the day after the points was back in their regular UY.

The official rule is that banking and borrowing are final transactions, unofficially there has been a one time forgiveness but not all CM's know about it and not all will allow it. Apparently your account in noted somehow so you don't get the magic twice but again you are dealing with CM's so anything can happen.

OK so we decided to just change our trip to early Dec which is bookable now since it's our home resort. I called MS and had them cancel the April trip and book the Dec trip at the same time. They used the borrowed points so I'm just going to bank the remaining 2018 UY points at some point. Thanks for all the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter