Question about Full marathons

I will echo everyone and not recommend running a full without putting in the training, BUT will recount my full marathon experiences.

I ran the WDW marathons from 1996-98. I was training in the lovely warmth of Toronto in the winter, so managed to cheat on my long run loops and cut off mileage due to the cold while justifying it in my head (since at the time I was still in my 20s and fast). Essentially I prepared myself perfectly for a 1/2 marathon, but not so much the full. I will say the first 16 miles were pretty easy, but the last 10 not so much. The last few hundred yards of each one.... MAGICAL. There is no feeling like it.

I probably will never run another full. I love to run and it comes easily to me, but I don't have the desire or more importantly time to put in the required training. If you think you have the time and desire, I would say to absolutely go for it even if it is just to be a one and done. I have run a few halfs, and more 5k and 10k races than I can count, but there was nothing like the accomplishment I felt crossing the finish line of a marathon.

I can't say anything about the current WDW marathon course, but I find the Disney courses relatively flat and usually only the weather is the challenge.
thank you very much for your honest and input

If you really want to do a full then you should do a full. Don't let somebody else's experience or criticisms stop you. If you are doing it for the right reasons and are willing to put in the time and training then you can certainly do it and you should.

Also really think about your objective and pick a training program that will get you there and that works with your life demands. My first marathon was Disney and my only goal was to complete it and have fun. I do Galloway run/walk/run and I followed his beginner to complete training. This is a minimum amount of miles and is less demanding then some other training methods. So, there are training options out there that don't have to be scary in regards to time/mileage commitment. Now, if you really want to run a marathon and have your best performance with a time goal, then you may need to look at some other plans that require more miles and more time commitment.

Research what is out there for plans and see if you can find one that fits your goals and lifestyle. Then decide if you really want to commit to it. If you do, then go for it and stick with your training and you'll be fine.
Thank you ever so much~~
I have looked into the Galloway training and feel its probably the best one out there for me to try

Without having run Boston, New York, Chicago, or the Marine Corps Marathon in DC, I'd say the Disney World marathon is likely to be the most entertaining marathon you can run. There will naturally be some dead spots, but you're running to a milestone/park roughly every 10k with some sparks of entertainment along the way between them. The parks are open by the time you're getting to Hollywood Studios and Epcot, so you get to see the parks as well as get additional crowd support to push you across the finish.

With respect to training, I don't know what you do now, but maybe check out this 18-week training program with runs 3x per week and four 20-mile long runs. Training for a marathon can be daunting, but I've found this to be the best for accommodating my schedule without burning out; it's gotten me through all but my first marathon in Disney when we used Galloway's plan. Remember too that you can tweak any plan to try and fit it better to your needs. Better to make adjustments to a plan so that you'll stick with it than to pick a plan that will be difficult to stick with and leave you under-trained come race day.
awesome thank you for your words of wisdom and for the link!

i hate the training, i hate training for a half, i can't image a full

That feeling is the EXACT reason I doubt you will EVER see me doing anything beyond the Half. I really really don't like the distance at all. (though the Rock 'n' Roll Vancouver Half was a really nice course, I got to see a lot of the city, and I never got the "I hate this" chant going on in my head that I normally do, and that's despite it being the day after the 10K, my first back to back event)

If that is foremost in your head, don't do it.

I would make sure you're doing a full because YOU want to do a full. Not because you're jealous of others or because you think you should.

YES.

I remember reading about an Ultra marathon and thinking "ooh I would love to have done that". There's a difference there...I don't want TO DO it, I want to HAVE DONE it. That difference is why I'm not signing up for an ultra. :) I want to do 5Ks. I want to do 10Ks. I want to do the RnR Vancouver Half again (and signed up last night for next year just before pre-signups closed). I don't want "to do" a marathon or beyond.

But only YOU know what is truly foremost in your head. Some are hearing you saying you want to do it. Some are saying that if you ask the question, you want it. Others are hearing "I don't want to train", and asking the "what ifs" if you don't train. YOU know what's in your head and heart and in what order.

Don't let the friends get under your skin. Not the ones that love it or the ones that hate it. Figure out what you want to do, what you can do, what you have time to do, and do THAT.

Between Jan '14 and Jan '15 I participated in 6 Halfs. I got slower each time. I didn't train after the first one, not to any decent extent. I signed up for them so I did them, but it was rotten. I don't recommend doing that. If you're going to sign up, really do the thing. :)

Lots of good advice from both vantage points.

Some people do it because they want to.
Others do it because they are challenged to do it by a friend, or a charity, or other personal reasons.

Some people don't train at all and still make it to the finish.
Others train too hard and end up overdoing it and are disappointed with results.
Only you know what works for you.

I can't add much to what was has already been posted except to say
"Do What You Want to Do or what you feel compelled to do."
And have fun.

I have run two marathons, so I am in no way an expert. But I really believe that given hardwork and dedication that you can run a marathon. The key to the whole thing is wanting to do it and only you can decide that. I will share that a marathon is not a distance to attempt if not prepared, 26.2 miles is a long ways if you are not ready for it. You don't want it to be a sufferfest, you want it to be a life memory, and it can be just that.

If you do decide to dedicate to the training the eventual finishline will be worth every second of the hardwork. It all becomes worth it. The running is never easy, but it becomes very satisfying and rewarding. If not for you I am sure you will find other things and if you do decide to go for it embrace the journey and celbrate the finish - good luck.

That feeling is the EXACT reason I doubt you will EVER see me doing anything beyond the Half. I really really don't like the distance at all. (though the Rock 'n' Roll Vancouver Half was a really nice course, I got to see a lot of the city, and I never got the "I hate this" chant going on in my head that I normally do, and that's despite it being the day after the 10K, my first back to back event)

If that is foremost in your head, don't do it.

YES.

I remember reading about an Ultra marathon and thinking "ooh I would love to have done that". There's a difference there...I don't want TO DO it, I want to HAVE DONE it. That difference is why I'm not signing up for an ultra. :) I want to do 5Ks. I want to do 10Ks. I want to do the RnR Vancouver Half again (and signed up last night for next year just before pre-signups closed). I don't want "to do" a marathon or beyond.

But only YOU know what is truly foremost in your head. Some are hearing you saying you want to do it. Some are saying that if you ask the question, you want it. Others are hearing "I don't want to train", and asking the "what ifs" if you don't train. YOU know what's in your head and heart and in what order.

Don't let the friends get under your skin. Not the ones that love it or the ones that hate it. Figure out what you want to do, what you can do, what you have time to do, and do THAT.

Between Jan '14 and Jan '15 I participated in 6 Halfs. I got slower each time. I didn't train after the first one, not to any decent extent. I signed up for them so I did them, but it was rotten. I don't recommend doing that. If you're going to sign up, really do the thing. :)
Thank you very much, it is something I would like try I just have to really think about the time I need to put into it..

I have run two marathons, so I am in no way an expert. But I really believe that given hardwork and dedication that you can run a marathon. The key to the whole thing is wanting to do it and only you can decide that. I will share that a marathon is not a distance to attempt if not prepared, 26.2 miles is a long ways if you are not ready for it. You don't want it to be a sufferfest, you want it to be a life memory, and it can be just that.

If you do decide to dedicate to the training the eventual finishline will be worth every second of the hardwork. It all becomes worth it. The running is never easy, but it becomes very satisfying and rewarding. If not for you I am sure you will find other things and if you do decide to go for it embrace the journey and celbrate the finish - good luck.

I totally agree with this. Take a look at some of the training programs to make sure it is something that you can realistically fit into your schedule. I would also make sure you have a solid support system to help with this goal because it is VERY time consuming. Thank goodness for my husband who encouraged me and kept me supplied in Salted Caramel Gu, new socks and shooed me out of the door to run. In the end, it was so worthwhile, but you have to want it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to run a marathon. Good luck on whatever you decide!

As others have said, just because you CAN finish a marathon undertrained doesn't mean you should. The more you prepare, the better your experience will likely be. My first Disney marathon was only my second marathon ever, and I did it as part of the Goofy Challenge (half/full on the same weekend), but I was prepared, and did it at an easy pace. As a result, I never hit "the wall" and enjoyed the whole experience. This is what I'd recommend to others - train properly and enjoy the experience.

My first marathon - longest training run was 16 miles. Last 5 miles was a death march, but I finished. I would not recommend this to anyone.

The long training run is somewhat overrated. I've twice run under 3:30 only doing long runs of about 14 miles, and when I ran sub-3:20, I only did long runs of 16 miles. I do run higher weekly volume though, at least for a marathon training cycle. I usually run 6 days a week, with at least three runs into the double digits (10 miles or more), and total weekly mileage will be around 50-60. I think overall volume matters more than the length of a single long run, and is less likely to result in injury, if you ramp up your miles properly.

I think people are different and you probably know your body better than anybody else and you most likely know if you can finish a full or not if you put in a decent amount of work.I've never followed a strict training schedule when training for races.I just always make sure to consistently keep going to the gym and doing 5-6 miles on the treadmill with some outside long runs of 8-17 miles,most in the 8-10 mile range with only a few over 10.That was my plan going into my first Disney full(which was my first race of any kind),I knew that I always had strong legs and plenty of endurance and my plan was about all finishing as I never will be someone worrying about finishing in 3-4 hours,I pretty much know I'm as middle of the pack a runner as they come,and I'm fine with that.The next couple of years I signed up for a whole bunch of half marathons to go with the Disney full so I just used those as my long training runs but would still do a long 16-17 miler on my own.I'm doing the same this year but with the exception of throwing the Space coast full into the mix later this month.I honestly have such a great time doing the Disney full that I find some of the halfs that I do sometimes more challenging than the Disney full,it's just my favorite race and I enjoy every second of it,I ran the Disney half as part of Goofy this year and while still enjoyable I just don't love it,it's an out and back from Epcot to MK,I prefer the adventure of the full and hitting most of WDW.I'll likely only do the Half in January again if I do Dopey or Goofy again,probably Dopey in 2018 like everyone else.When I do the Space Coast full at the end of the month it will be the first time since my first Disney full that I'll be a little nervous before a race,that first Disney full having never done a full I was obviously nervous but once I reached mile 21 or so I knew I had it in the bag so I just enjoyed the rest of the way.For Space Coast I'm nervous since I've never done a full outside Disney where I know every mile marker and what to expect,I'm worried if this full is going to seem like it takes forever or if I'm going to struggle and the course just looks the same for 26 miles unlike at Disney where it's always changing and you always know what's next.I'm doing W&D Saturday,which is also new for me as I always used to do ToT instead but I'm certain W&D is going to be like the Disney full where it feels so much easier for me than other races.Luckily my hamstring and ankle injuries feel 90% better and I can finish both these November races in good shape,especially Space Coast,I've also figured out that my new Hoka conquests may have likely been the culprit of my ankle pain and I'm just going with my old Stinsons for the next couple of races.

Last edited:
The long training run is somewhat overrated. I've twice run under 3:30 only doing long runs of about 14 miles, and when I ran sub-3:20, I only did long runs of 16 miles. I do run higher weekly volume though, at least for a marathon training cycle. I usually run 6 days a week, with at least three runs into the double digits (10 miles or more), and total weekly mileage will be around 50-60. I think overall volume matters more than the length of a single long run, and is less likely to result in injury, if you ramp up your miles properly.
Careful saying things like this to new runners. First, because running 50-60 miles/week takes a long time for a non-athlete to work up to without injury (a 20 mile long run is a much easier goal), and second because it is daunting. If you run 10 minute miles, you have to commit 10 hours a week to run 60 miles, and that is without warm-ups, cool-downs or any other training. For most new runners, you would be asking them to commit 15+ hours/week to running. That is a recipe for failure.

I totally agree with this. Take a look at some of the training programs to make sure it is something that you can realistically fit into your schedule. I would also make sure you have a solid support system to help with this goal because it is VERY time consuming. Thank goodness for my husband who encouraged me and kept me supplied in Salted Caramel Gu, new socks and shooed me out of the door to run. In the end, it was so worthwhile, but you have to want it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to run a marathon. Good luck on whatever you decide!
;) thank you for your support!!

Lots of good advice from both vantage points.

Some people do it because they want to.
Others do it because they are challenged to do it by a friend, or a charity, or other personal reasons.

Some people don't train at all and still make it to the finish.
Others train too hard and end up overdoing it and are disappointed with results.
Only you know what works for you.

I can't add much to what was has already been posted except to say
"Do What You Want to Do or what you feel compelled to do."
And have fun.
;) lol thank you, you're very right to

awesome thank you, def. a lot to consider here

thank you very much for your words and your input!!!

I really do want to do a full, I am just scared, I am thinking of her right now and that's why i posted this.....but back a few months ago when I mentioned it to my other friend she shot my idea down....I told my husband 1 full that's all I want to try is 1 full......I am just scared of the training
I have done tons and tons of 5k's and 10k's I am a little over the halves because I am just bored doing the same ones over and over

i am seriously considering it, i know if i def. want to do this I will stick with the training....

DO IT!!!! I lost a ton of weight years ago (200) and decided to get back to running from my HS/College days. I gave myself 18 months from the begining of my first 100lb loss to train for the Goofy - best thing I ever did. I did a couple 1/2s & a load of 5Ks. So when a friend tried to say it was impossible, I never looked back. I will tell you when I was in the last few miles & saw big guys dropping, I just kept looking down at my wrist band & kept going. I almost punched the idiot who showed up every mile after 20 with a "you have this far to go" sign. ZI don't know how old you are but I did this at 48 - so you can do this!!!

I am signing up for the 2017 Goofy, DS(30) is doing the 1/2 with me, my DSO(56) is doing the full & my DIL(43) & DGD(7) are doing the kick off 5K also with me.

DON'T let your "friends" tell you you can't or shouldn't

DO IT!!!! I lost a ton of weight years ago (200) and decided to get back to running from my HS/College days. I gave myself 18 months from the begining of my first 100lb loss to train for the Goofy - best thing I ever did. I did a couple 1/2s & a load of 5Ks. So when a friend tried to say it was impossible, I never looked back. I will tell you when I was in the last few miles & saw big guys dropping, I just kept looking down at my wrist band & kept going. I almost punched the idiot who showed up every mile after 20 with a "you have this far to go" sign. ZI don't know how old you are but I did this at 48 - so you can do this!!!

I am signing up for the 2017 Goofy, DS(30) is doing the 1/2 with me, my DSO(56) is doing the full & my DIL(43) & DGD(7) are doing the kick off 5K also with me.

DON'T let your "friends" tell you you can't or shouldn't
WTG and thank you for the encouraging reply!!!!! I just turned 46, I am def considering it but I think if I do one it would have to be a disney, thanks again!

I kind of have the same thoughts as you, I love races and how it keeps me in shape. But, I get so bored on long runs not at disney. I would love to accomplish this goal and would not go in aiming to be undertrained, but at the same time know I could only make it work if I did the least mileage acceptable to be ready. I approach my halves the same way, usually never going above 10 or so miles. (Though I did go up to 12 for this years wine and dine half-half, go figure)

I am doing this years marathon weekend half and asked in that board for 2017 advice and got some good ideas. They suggested the Hanson's plan which is more volume than distance really, but IMO starts out reasonably before building. (I think that was @IamTrike who suggested). The Hal Higdon novice plans are also pretty calm, but do include the 20 miler.

I am considering the hanson plan myself. One of the 16 milers falls around wine and dine half weekend. So if i do a couple of miles to warm up pre race, I think I can at least scratch off one dull training run. And at that point Ohio has nice weather, so most of the lifting will come pre-wine and dine with only a few cold long runs on the back end. I am also looking into local trails and paths that might be more interesting for me.

This article talks about hanson: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathoning-the-hansons-way

I did WDW as my first marathon and I loved it.
Having said that, the half marathon is a commitment of like "we're going steady" and the marathon is like "We're getting married." Depending on how I train, it sucks up my entire life and especially time on the weekends (which for WDW is prime holiday season). I get cranky and annoyed, spending what feels like all my free time running and like I can't go out and do other more fun things. So, you know, it's rewarding but once the mileage starts to climb it really sucks up your entire life.

Plus, the weather can be a total crap shoot at Disney and there's nothing worse than training in the chilly dry 30s/40s and coming to Florida to run in the humid 60s/70s/80s.

I kind of have the same thoughts as you, I love races and how it keeps me in shape. But, I get so bored on long runs not at disney. I would love to accomplish this goal and would not go in aiming to be undertrained, but at the same time know I could only make it work if I did the least mileage acceptable to be ready. I approach my halves the same way, usually never going above 10 or so miles. (Though I did go up to 12 for this years wine and dine half-half, go figure)

I am doing this years marathon weekend half and asked in that board for 2017 advice and got some good ideas. They suggested the Hanson's plan which is more volume than distance really, but IMO starts out reasonably before building. (I think that was @IamTrike who suggested). The Hal Higdon novice plans are also pretty calm, but do include the 20 miler.

I am considering the hanson plan myself. One of the 16 milers falls around wine and dine half weekend. So if i do a couple of miles to warm up pre race, I think I can at least scratch off one dull training run. And at that point Ohio has nice weather, so most of the lifting will come pre-wine and dine with only a few cold long runs on the back end. I am also looking into local trails and paths that might be more interesting for me.

This article talks about hanson: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathoning-the-hansons-way
awesome thank you for the article and LOTS OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter