Question about Full marathons

I did WDW as my first marathon and I loved it.
Having said that, the half marathon is a commitment of like "we're going steady" and the marathon is like "We're getting married." Depending on how I train, it sucks up my entire life and especially time on the weekends (which for WDW is prime holiday season). I get cranky and annoyed, spending what feels like all my free time running and like I can't go out and do other more fun things. So, you know, it's rewarding but once the mileage starts to climb it really sucks up your entire life.

Plus, the weather can be a total crap shoot at Disney and there's nothing worse than training in the chilly dry 30s/40s and coming to Florida to run in the humid 60s/70s/80s.
ACK I certainly know what you mean about the training weather :hyper2:

@pixeemom @AThrillingChase Highly recommend that if either of you do decide to do the Hansons plan to read the marathon book. It gives you the "why" to the training plan and helps you become invested in it. Used it to cut 42 min off my PR (6th marathon). Pay attention to the timing advice to each of the runs in case either of you plan to run the marathon much slower than 5:00 so you can make appropriate adjustments to the mileage.

@pixeemom @AThrillingChase Highly recommend that if either of you do decide to do the Hansons plan to read the marathon book. It gives you the "why" to the training plan and helps you become invested in it. Used it to cut 42 min off my PR (6th marathon). Pay attention to the timing advice to each of the runs in case either of you plan to run the marathon much slower than 5:00 so you can make appropriate adjustments to the mileage.
awesome thank you for your input!!!!

I second the Hansons plan. I've gone sub-3:20 twice using the principles of their plans.
I have yet to go sub 3:30, but I still like Hanson's plan. to be fair I don't know that I would use it as my first Marathon training plan.

I have yet to go sub 3:30, but I still like Hanson's plan. to be fair I don't know that I would use it as my first Marathon training plan.
I agree. I think it could work for some people as a first marathon plan, but keep in mind that OP mentioned "hating" training for half marathons. To me that means that a plan having them run 6 days each week would not be realistic.

I'm looking at training for my 4th marathon and am freaked out by the Hanson plan...I just don't think I have it in me to run 6 days each week, and I LIKE running. :confused3

I agree. I think it could work for some people as a first marathon plan, but keep in mind that OP mentioned "hating" training for half marathons. To me that means that a plan having them run 6 days each week would not be realistic.

I'm looking at training for my 4th marathon and am freaked out by the Hanson plan...I just don't think I have it in me to run 6 days each week, and I LIKE running. :confused3

I wouldn't recommend the Hanson plan for a first marathon either. I'd go with Higdon, and if that worked well, maybe move to the Hansons for the next race.

A buddy of mine summed Hanson's up as a great plan for established runners who want to move to the next level. I think for a first marathon most any 3 or 4 day a week plan will work, particularly if the goal is just finishing. Something like the FIRST run less, run faster plan might work well for the OP because you only run 3 days a week and then do two days a week of non running activity.

A buddy of mine summed Hanson's up as a great plan for established runners who want to move to the next level. I think for a first marathon most any 3 or 4 day a week plan will work, particularly if the goal is just finishing. Something like the FIRST run less, run faster plan might work well for the OP because you only run 3 days a week and then do two days a week of non running activity.
My issue with the Hanson plan (besides "OMG how will I run 6 days each week?!") is that it doesn't seem to leave any room for non-running activities...lifting, yoga, etc. I haven't tried FIRST...thought about it but have read mixed reviews. :confused3

My issue with the Hanson plan (besides "OMG how will I run 6 days each week?!") is that it doesn't seem to leave any room for non-running activities...lifting, yoga, etc. I haven't tried FIRST...thought about it but have read mixed reviews. :confused3

I found in doing Hanson's it was a huge time commitment. For me I had multiple midweek runs that were over an hour. Even if I had the energy to do another type of workout I didn't have the time. I am going through a slightly modified version of Hanson's now. I am doing shorter mid week runs and longer runs of the weekend. I will restart Hanson's in earnest after goofy.

The shorter runs during the day leave me with time to do P90X3 in the evenings.

I found in doing Hanson's it was a huge time commitment. For me I had multiple midweek runs that were over an hour. Even if I had the energy to do another type of workout I didn't have the time. I am going through a slightly modified version of Hanson's now. I am doing shorter mid week runs and longer runs of the weekend. I will restart Hanson's in earnest after goofy.

The shorter runs during the day leave me with time to do P90X3 in the evenings.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. :) Sounds like too much of a time commitment for me.

I would agree with this. If you don't like running (like the OP), then Hansons book plans probably wouldn't be a good fit for you. But I do believe, you can use the philosophies of Hansons and others to develop a 4-day running training plan. More so that is why I would recommend that book, or Jack Daniels, or Science of Running (but only if you REALLY like science), than the plan per se. Learn the "why" to marathon training.

For me personally, I modified the Hansons the first time I used it and modified again for the purpose of Dopey training right now, but adhered to their principles. However, I do REALLY like to run and rarely have a day where I dread going outside to do it. For example this week I have...

Monday - 1 hour 20 min
Tuesday - 1 hour
Wednesday - off
Thursday - 1 hour 40 min
Friday - 1 hour 10 min
Saturday - 1 hour 14 min
Sunday - 2 hours 22 min

@DopeyBadger is it bad that each time I read "Jack Daniels" I think of the whiskey? ;)

I think I've seen you post your 4-day modification in other threads, I'll have to take a look. Thanks!

LOL, I know I said to someone at work once to look into Jack Daniels and they said "Don't worry, I do every weekend." :P

The 4-day mod I posted in the marathon thread was for a half-marathon, but the philosophy behind the plan still holds true.

All this talk of developing scientific plans makes the engineer in me giddy, but I am a free form runner and it makes my head hurt. That's why I am happy I had coaches to train me through high school and university. Now I just run my 3-4 days a week, never getting faster but not pokey either. I do need to start getting in speed work (5K and 10K) to drop my times, I just need to find a group to train with to keep me honest.

@DopeyBadger is it bad that each time I read "Jack Daniels" I think of the whiskey? ;)

I think I've seen you post your 4-day modification in other threads, I'll have to take a look. Thanks!

BTW, more than willing to help you develop a plan for your marathon training as well if you decide to do it. I enjoy making custom training plans as a hobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter