Question about possible Toys R Us Bankruptcy

fifthdimensiondweller

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

So I'm looking for opinions because I understand zero about bankruptcy . So I heard that it looks like Toys R Us is going to declare bankruptcy very soon. I currently have a baby registry through Babies R Us. We've had our shower and received some gift cards as well. I've been waiting to use these gift cards until our completion discount comes in.

My question is sort of a multi-parter

1) Will Toys R Us filing for bankruptcy even affect Babies R Us?
2) Should I run out and spend my gift cards forgoing to completion discount of 10%, to make sure they don't go to waste? I probably have enough in gift cards to finish the registry even without the discount, so this isn't too big a deal.
3) If they do declare bankruptcy, will they simply close their doors one day (similar to Alfred Angelo) or will there be liquidation sales (like Gymboree)?

Is this something we can even know before they file? Just tying to figure out what to do!

Thanks!

I would spend the gift cards ASAP. I worked for a toy store that went bankrupt several years ago and once the courts step in, the cards are often no longer valid.

I would imagine they will have clearances. They have a lot more inventory than Alfred Angelo.

They filed Chapter 11, which means they are going through a restructuring process. That will take a long time, probably well over a year, since it means negotiations with creditors. They may close a few underperforming stores during the process, but they aren't going to go out of business. And during that time, I am 100% confident that they will still be honoring gift cards.

We just finished ordering everything off of our registry using our 15% completion discount (3.5 weeks until baby!). We really saved a ton of money on our last 30+ items, so I would suggest that you wait and use the discount when it comes. We also have about $150 from the Endless Rewards promotion that should come 12 weeks after the due date. I really have no concerns that we will get this money as well.

Even with this, I have been really happy with the Babies R Us registry. The service has been great and it has saved us a lot of money overall.

I've personally read of three different people, in different areas of the country, already having trouble using gift cards. All were told the system was down and they would need to come back another day. None have been successful in using them yet. Closing or not, I would use them if you can. Maybe try online.

I've personally read of three different people, in different areas of the country, already having trouble using gift cards. All were told the system was down and they would need to come back another day. None have been successful in using them yet. Closing or not, I would use them if you can. Maybe try online.

I actually had that issue when I stopped in yesterday just to stake things out! They had signs up everywhere so I asked about and the girl kind of chuckled and said "nah, they're working now" I took that as a sign and spent my gift cards while I could, just to be safe, but like others have said with it being chapter 11 I'm hoping it's just a tech glitch and not related to bakruptcy! Regardless I have my things now st least!

Spend them while you can. Don't wait for the completion discount. They may have filed Chapter 11 now, but it could turn into a different type that causes them to close their stores.

Oh and if there's any duplicate merchandise that you got and don't want, I suggest you return them ASAP.

Toys R Us and Babies R Us are owned by the same company. They will continue to operate, although some stores may be closed after the Christmas holidays. I would have zero concerns about using gift cards.

They are going through a restructuring that will take atleast a year. They recently updated internet so there is guest WiFi which didn’t go as planned. They have been working to fix the issues as far as gift card usage and other operations of the stores that have been effected. Gift cards and endless earnings should go on. But like with all things there is never a for sure.

FWIW, we're at the tail end of the toy buying years, and many times Toys R Us beats Amazon on price. Amazon tends to jack up their prices on toys after Columbus day.

I've noticed baby items are often much more expensive on Amazon than buying from traditional retailers (i.e. Carter's, Walmart, Babies R Us, etc.), though I've never paid attention to the time of year. Sometimes I still choose Amazon for the convenience, but I've made special trips to Babies R Us when the price difference was ridiculous. Some do just assume Amazon is always cheaper, which is a very expensive mistake.

I've noticed baby items are often much more expensive on Amazon than buying from traditional retailers (i.e. Carter's, Walmart, Babies R Us, etc.), though I've never paid attention to the time of year. Sometimes I still choose Amazon for the convenience, but I've made special trips to Babies R Us when the price difference was ridiculous. Some do just assume Amazon is always cheaper, which is a very expensive mistake.

I don't think it's safe to assume that any store is cheaper for any item at any time of the year. Definitely shop around before making any decently sized purchase. On Amazon Prime Day my exact baby carrier I have on my BBB registry was $57.99 on Amazon but $89.99 on BBB. My brother is a frugal shopper like myself so I had mentioned it to him - he told me to take it off my registry and he was going to buy it. Also on Amazon Prime Day I absolutely SCORED on diapers, about half of what they cost at Target or Walmart. Bought 2 huge boxes. We should be pretty set on diapers for a while after our shower (we have a diaper raffle and with 60 guests it should be a good amount of diapers!).

Also on Amazon we bought our crib (or my MIL did any way). The cribs I was checking out at BBB, BRU and Target were INSANE! $250 minimum. We found a 4 star crib on Amazon we really liked for $159 plus tax. Everything else on my BBB registry is priced relatively similar to other stores. Having a registry is tough - the frugal part of me hates having items on there that can be found cheaper elsewhere. I kind of wanted to put a note in the invite saying that if they found it cheaper, let my mom know so it can be anonymous and I'll take it off the registry :laughing: But I thought that was a bit impractical. I'm also hoping that my guests know that BBB has 20% off coupons nearly at all times. I cringe thinking they'll pay full price :crazy2:

For the majority of the year, most items are priced identically on Babies R Us and Amazon. There were some good deals on Prime Day that I took advantage of this year on a few baby items. And there were some items that I got at Target or Amazon because Babies R Us didn't have them. After watching prices and sales for the last 8+ months, I can say that I definitely came out ahead with my Babies R Us registry over Amazon or Target because of the Endless Earnings program. It is now up to $166, which should easily cover the expensive bannister baby gates that we still need to buy.

I don't think it's safe to assume that any store is cheaper for any item at any time of the year. Definitely shop around before making any decently sized purchase. On Amazon Prime Day my exact baby carrier I have on my BBB registry was $57.99 on Amazon but $89.99 on BBB. My brother is a frugal shopper like myself so I had mentioned it to him - he told me to take it off my registry and he was going to buy it. Also on Amazon Prime Day I absolutely SCORED on diapers, about half of what they cost at Target or Walmart. Bought 2 huge boxes. We should be pretty set on diapers for a while after our shower (we have a diaper raffle and with 60 guests it should be a good amount of diapers!).

Also on Amazon we bought our crib (or my MIL did any way). The cribs I was checking out at BBB, BRU and Target were INSANE! $250 minimum. We found a 4 star crib on Amazon we really liked for $159 plus tax. Everything else on my BBB registry is priced relatively similar to other stores. Having a registry is tough - the frugal part of me hates having items on there that can be found cheaper elsewhere. I kind of wanted to put a note in the invite saying that if they found it cheaper, let my mom know so it can be anonymous and I'll take it off the registry :laughing: But I thought that was a bit impractical. I'm also hoping that my guests know that BBB has 20% off coupons nearly at all times. I cringe thinking they'll pay full price :crazy2:

We had an Amazon registry and I tried to let people know they could buy from ANYWHERE and the registry could be updated by anyone (Target's registry is like this too). It also drove me crazy to think of people overpaying (especially on big ticket items). I knew what some of my family members intended to buy us, so I gave them a heads up about where they would get the best price.

Amazon is an interesting company. Sometimes the item is considerably cheaper and sometimes it's 3X more. Always best to shop around like you do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter