Question re: pregnant & ECV

d1sneymom

Mouseketeer
Hi! My family and I go to DLR at least 2x a year. Our next visit will be 11/21-11/24. I will be 25 weeks pregnant by then (6 months). I think I would have to rent an ECV but I've read through some of the old threads re: ECV rentals and those who don't look like they need it and it scared me.

I would have to rent one because being on my feet for more than an hour I start to get contractions (that and a pretty messed up back). Sitting I am ok. I would be using it more to get around and when we go on rides that I can ride I would of course stand in line like everyone else. It's just the walking too much that can start contractions.

I guess maybe I'm being self conscious about the whole thing.

Do any of you awesome Disney fanatics think I'm crazy!
I won't cancel because well I want 1 more magical time with my DS (4) before this new little one comes! And who would want to deprive their kid of Disney? esp. during the holidays?!

rent ecv from outside source (much better shape and faster than the ones in disney. plus it'll be cheaper) have it delivered to your motel/hotel and ride woman ride. the heck what anybody else thinks. you know why you need one and thats all that matters

Disneymom,

Absolutely rent one and do not worry what anyone might (or might not :goodvibes) think!

You know what is best for you and YOUR BABY! Don't want that little one to come too soon.

I think an ECV is a good idea. Unless you are jogging or something everyday you may not be alright walking a typical park day amount all of a sudden.

Also consider how much you can stand at a time? You may want a GAC card so you can avoid being on your feet for an hour for Nemo or Buzz.

I think an ECV is a good idea. Unless you are jogging or something everyday you may not be alright walking a typical park day amount all of a sudden.

Also consider how much you can stand at a time? You may want a GAC card so you can avoid being on your feet for an hour for Nemo or Buzz.

I thought about the GAC card too but feel funny about my reason. I think it's a valid reason but to tell them "being on my feet for a prolong amount of time I start to get contractions" I would think they would look at me crazy! LOL...
I am totally being self conscious I know.

And my DR. hasn't put me on bed rest she's just telling me to use precaution.

And thanks for the input everyone! I know I shouldn't care about what people think but to see a 29yo who looks "completely healthy" in an ECV, I know I will be getting some stares!

15 more days! :earsboy:

BTW I looked through search but maybe I just can't find it, are there reviews of outside rentals for ECVs?

No you are not crazy! I have seen many pregnant women in ECCV's at both DL and WDW.

I know the thread type you are talking about, I just wish all I had time to do in my life is wonder and critique why someone is spending their own money to do what makes their day in the park the most fun! Ignore the idiots who think they know the reasons and validity behind every person in a scooter. The fact you'll be visibly pregnant should also keep anyone from making a comment.

I also agree with the idea of renting one from an outside agency. It will be cheaper and that way you'll have it to get back to your hotel at night to avoid that walk as well.

If you do a search on "scooter Rental" or "ECCV Rental" on this board some names and phone numbers should come up. You can also check the disablities board here on the disboards, its mostly for WDW but there may very well be some DL information too about offsite rentals.

Here is a thread that might be helpful:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2425807&highlight=scooter+rental

It would appear Deckerts is a good one to call. Good luck with your pregnancy and your trip to Disneyland!

I thought about the GAC card too but feel funny about my reason. I think it's a valid reason but to tell them "being on my feet for a prolong amount of time I start to get contractions" I would think they would look at me crazy! LOL...

No way! That's a perfectly valid reason to request a GAC. Please don't feel selfconscious about doing what you need to make sure you're safe and you have a great time :)

Definitely get a an ECV!

There are a few rides you cannot bring the ECV into the line... like a lot of the Fantasyland rides. There just is not room. You may have to park it outside and walk in, which is where the GAC comes in handy - it will allow you to still use the wheelchair entrances even though you parked your ECV outside the ride.

I'm 28 weeks pregnant and went to DLR on Monday..boy did I wish I rented a ECV..Even though I'm not having contractions like you it would have been nice to stay off my feet..I think it's perfectly ok to rent one and take it easy..Disneyland should be fun and you shouldn't have to worry about you or your baby..and definetly don't worry about what others think..Have fun!!

If you are feeling concerned just thinking about renting a ECV then it may ruin your day on the day.

Only do if totally happy in your mind that it is what you need.

But I definitely would suggest you get a GAC, if you are having problems standing for long periods then you totally need one and you will find Customer Service very understanding and helpful. Use the GAC and take lots of rest stops and have a nice relaxing day, we had to use a GAC for half our last trip and my daughter who needed it and looked very able did not get any funny looks at all. There are many reasons why a person needs a GAC and our case was somewhat similar to yours...

Having two kids (one a preemie) I think if you've been having early contractions you are definitely well within the reasons to have need of an ECV/wheelchair. (I'd be willing to bet that your OB would advise the trip ONLY if you stayed off your feet as much as possible!)

My son has ASD (somewhat of an 'invisible disability') and so I know what you mean about feeling self-conscious of making use of a GAC. However, I remind myself that our use of it is totally legitimate (in fact, DS would never be able to manage a trip without it!) and Disney makes these accomodations available so that EVERYONE, no matter their challenge, can enjoy the magic.

Please do whatever helps you (and baby) feel well and have a wonderful time :wizard:

I understand how you feel and used to be afraid to use an ECV myself. I've seen those nasty threads where a few fools get very judgmental. But what I also noticed is that for every person who has nothing better to do than pay more attention to what other people's families are doing than their own, there are ten people jumping in to defend those who use the ECVs. The words of a few judgmental people can hurt and make you feel self conscious, but you know the truth and the majority of people just don't care!

I was afraid to use them for years. I have autoimmune disease that sometimes really kicks my butt, but for a long time I refused to use one because I am also overweight and I know that to some people, if an overweight person is on an ECV it automatically means they are too lazy to walk and nothing is really wrong with them. Last year my partner insisted I used one. The first time I got on that thing I was sooooooo self conscious I wanted to just die. But within an hour, I realized that nobody cared! If anybody had an issue, I sure didn't see signs of it. And yes, I got up and walked sometimes too. It was ok for me and I'm SURE it will be ok for you. You're pregnant and people will see that. Not that it matters as it is NOBODY'S business but yours and your family's.

So go, rent your ECV and have a lot of fun! :goodvibes

Dude. Pre-term contractions are a VERY good reason to get an ECV! Nobody wants you going into labour at 25 weeks in the Indiana Jones queue. :) And if anyone has the nerve to give the stink eye to a pregnant woman... in a wheelchair... at Disneyland... well, they clearly have issues. :p

Dude. Pre-term contractions are a VERY good reason to get an ECV! Nobody wants you going into labour at 25 weeks in the Indiana Jones queue. :) And if anyone has the nerve to give the stink eye to a pregnant woman... in a wheelchair... at Disneyland... well, they clearly have issues. :p

Preterm contractions are a very good reason not to go at all!

I am sorry to be the negative voice here but I wouldn't be going anywhere far from my hospital if I was in your circumstances. I had my little girl at 26 weeks with no real reason or warning. If you are having contractions that already puts you at a higher risk.
Disneyland is not worth it.

Having two kids (one a preemie) I think if you've been having early contractions you are definitely well within the reasons to have need of an ECV/wheelchair. (I'd be willing to bet that your OB would advise the trip ONLY if you stayed off your feet as much as possible!)

My son has ASD (somewhat of an 'invisible disability') and so I know what you mean about feeling self-conscious of making use of a GAC. However, I remind myself that our use of it is totally legitimate (in fact, DS would never be able to manage a trip without it!) and Disney makes these accomodations available so that EVERYONE, no matter their challenge, can enjoy the magic.

Please do whatever helps you (and baby) feel well and have a wonderful time :wizard:

I also have a son with ASD and completely agree that without a GAC, Disneyland would never be a possibility. It's now one of the only things we can go out and do as a family :)

Go and get your GAC and have fun! You are preggo, it should be pretty obvious why you need it :)

I am sorry to be the negative voice here but I wouldn't be going anywhere far from my hospital if I was in your circumstances. I had my little girl at 26 weeks with no real reason or warning. If you are having contractions that already puts you at a higher risk.
It is definately something to think about. I see from your information under your name that it says 409 miles from the Mouse. Even if you have your doctor's OK to go, I would check into what resources there are as far as which hospital to go to if your preterm contractions progress and you do go into actual preterm labor.
I had lots of contractions starting about 28 weeks with my first and second, but they were just a few minutes at time after I did too much and they never did progress (in fact, DD #2 was born 2 weeks late). So, I know preterm contractions don't always mean anything, as long as the doctor is not concerned. But I would still be prepared just in case.

Hi! My family and I go to DLR at least 2x a year. Our next visit will be 11/21-11/24. I will be 25 weeks pregnant by then (6 months). I think I would have to rent an ECV but I've read through some of the old threads re: ECV rentals and those who don't look like they need it and it scared me.

I would have to rent one because being on my feet for more than an hour I start to get contractions (that and a pretty messed up back). Sitting I am ok. I would be using it more to get around and when we go on rides that I can ride I would of course stand in line like everyone else. It's just the walking too much that can start contractions.

I guess maybe I'm being self conscious about the whole thing.

Do any of you awesome Disney fanatics think I'm crazy!
I won't cancel because well I want 1 more magical time with my DS (4) before this new little one comes! And who would want to deprive their kid of Disney? esp. during the holidays?!

Take care of you and your baby!:goodvibes

That is what matters! A few goom-bahs ranting about ECV's...bbbllltzzz :P

You know whats best for you and your baby! Being happy and healthy!:love:

Good luck and I hope the early contractions settle down!

Have a wonderful trip!:grouphug:

no no! I am getting TONS of "don't go"'s from people. But talking with my DR. she has no concerns. Also our insurance (Kaiser) is everywhere around here and there is a hospital close by. Luckily in the past week or so no more contractions just a sciatic nerve that is making my back worse. Thanks for the concern!

It is definately something to think about. I see from your information under your name that it says 409 miles from the Mouse. Even if you have your doctor's OK to go, I would check into what resources there are as far as which hospital to go to if your preterm contractions progress and you do go into actual preterm labor.
I had lots of contractions starting about 28 weeks with my first and second, but they were just a few minutes at time after I did too much and they never did progress (in fact, DD #2 was born 2 weeks late). So, I know preterm contractions don't always mean anything, as long as the doctor is not concerned. But I would still be prepared just in case.

I have a dr's appointment tomorrow (hopefully we will find out the sex as well! the baby put it's hands in front of it's bits the first time and wouldn't move them!) and since we have Kaiser and they are everywhere, I'm not too concerned. The lovely thing about Kaiser is they have our medical records linked to all the Kaisers (at least I think) so they'll have my info. If I didn't have K I don't think I would go. But I have plenty of people with me (a party of 14!) so I have tons of help with DS.

LOL I don't think I would be in the line for Indy! LOL small world maybe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter