Questions about cane use

mickeys friend

DIS Veteran
I would like to hear from anyone who has used a cane at WDW and in the airports.You may PM if you want.I have trouble with my leg and knee going out on me without any warning and I was thinking of taking a folding cane with me just in case I would need it.Is there any problems having it (even if its not being used at that time and is folded) at the airports or any of the WDW rides?We've been going to WDW for many,many years and I know that they have alot of things to help people with disabilities,but since this would be my first time (taking the cane,just in case)I wasn't sure if I needed to know any info about cane use.I would not go in the lines for the wheelchairs unless I was in one.Since we will be there 7 days my doctor said this would be a good thing for me to take and if I needed a wheelchair at anytime to get one(I know they run out early).Just wondering about the cane use.Thanks.

In case you didn't see it, here's a recent thread about choosing a cane to use at WDW.
Also wanted to mention, in most cases, wheelchair or ecv (scooter) users wait in the same lines with everyone else. In some attractions, there is a specific handicapped boarding area - usually people wait in the regular line and are routed there just before the regular boarding area. These boarding areas might be the best place for you to board if you need extra time or space for boarding. Here's a link to a thread about boarding.

My DH used a non-folding aluminum cane in January with no problems. It did get hand-searched at the airport and had to be stored in the overhead bin, but no problems with WDW security. His cane's name is Bob (long story) and we have quite a few pictures memorializing Bob's first trip to WDW!

I would suggest noting down the offsite scooter rentals, and bringing them with you on your vacation. They are listed in a sticky at the top, of the disAbilities index.
That way, just in case you have a back-up plan.

If your knee does go out, and offsite rental is going to be more accomidating since you can use it at your resort, and to/from bus stops to the parks.
If you park hop, again, offsite rental scooter goes with you all the time.
Connie

I always have a cane with me for when I am not in the wheelchair and as well as my main cane I have a folded metal one in my suitcase as back up. This has never been queried at the airport despite security for non US citizens being very tight.

Sue

The only "issues" I've had travelling with a cane are, at the airport my wooden cane needs to go through the scanner (some airports have a special cane you can use to go through the x-ray machine; in one airport, the TSA agent held my hands for support as I walked through) and on some attractions, for safety reasons, a CM would take my cane once I boarded the vehicle and give it back to me at the end of the ride.

My grandmother used her cane intermittenly at both the airport and parks. She has a regular metal cane and they sent it right through the xra machine at both ends (JFK and Orlando). She used the airline's wheelchair to go from the ticket agents to gates so when she had to go through xray, security gave her a hand to help her though.

At the parks, she was able to use it easily and it was never taken from her. (She uses a cane in everyday life but used a wheelchair in the park). If anything the CM's were more mindful of her and give her a little more help on to and off of rides. Only problem we had were people walking over the top of her, pushing and running past her, but that is another soap box altogether.

I agree with those who suggested taking the number of an offsite rental place. We used Care MEdical and they were really good. We didn't have to do a thing-they delivered it right to our hotel and picked it right up. And when we extended our stay by one day, there was no problem with getting the wheelchair for an extra day.

I have a fold-up type metal cane that I used all over Europe and traveled with exclusively until I started falling over backwards and graduated to a service dog/ECV combination. The only complaint...or, rather, adventure, I had with the fold-up cane is that, as there is nothing to hold mine in a folded position, it suddenly sprang to life once as I was getting off a plane, stabbing a fellow passenger in the behind...oops...

Um, okay... :)
I use a coated hair elastic or a scrunchy when I'm traveling with the folding cane but not using it at the moment.

kaytieeldr said:
Um, okay... :)
I use a coated hair elastic or a scrunchy when I'm traveling with the folding cane but not using it at the moment.

ummm, elastic-activated cane, elastic-banding scrunchie and one usable hand.... Houston, we have a problem.....
:banana:

Distances traveled within the theme park are far greater than around the office or at a shopping mall. You would do well to have a wheelchair. If you also have a cane, that lessens the chance others will point fingers at you as if you rented a wheelchair simply to get favors (such as more rapid entrance to rides) from the CM's.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

"I can walk -- but only as far as first base."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter