Quite the Valedictorian speech

It’s possible she may face backlash from potential employers and maybe even the college she’s set to attend, from people who won’t look upon this favorably. The internet is forever.
I was thinking about that last night. I don't know that it would actually happen but it's possible scholarships relying on student integrity, maturity, etc could be pulled if the people who administer the scholarship disagreed with her actions and it could look worse because she's a valedictorian. It may be worth it still in her mind in her viewpoint just saying it's a possible consequence.

aren’t we always telling our younger generation to bring about change?

Yes, but because of this:

...showed herself to be dishonest in choosing to go off script from the speech that was submitted and approved in good faith.

the change it's most likely to bring about is that the next kid won't get to give a speech. Admin will no longer feel safe assuming that the next student won't try to top this one.

Sure, I want my students to go out and improve the world, but I want them to do it in a careful way, considering all the implications of their actions, even if the well-thought-way turns out to be slower.

Frankly I think taking her case to the state Board of Regents, calling out in the news if they didn't pay her any attention, etc would have done more to bring light to the issue and in a much better way than hijacking a graduation event meant for fellow students not just her.

I agree.

She needs a good spanking.
About 10-12 years ago.
At our school, diplomas are withheld from people who misbehave at the ceremony and they have to do community service to get them.
If anyone were to push the school on this practice, it wouldn't go well for the school. Why? Because every state /county /school system has a very specific list of requirements for earning that diploma. Perhaps your students are required to complete X number of credits (this many Englishes, this many maths, etc.) and to pass a computer competency test and a CRP class ... I promise you, your school has a list of requirements. Every student who puts on a cap and gown and walks into graduation has met those requirements.
One of those requirements is NOT "sit pretty and behave at graduation". Yes, it's a social expectation, but it's not a requirement for the diploma.
If you require naughty students to do MORE after graduation day, you're not in compliance with the requirements for earning that diploma.
Yes, I personally think community service is a great plan, but it wouldn't stand up to scrutinty.
Part of growing up is knowing the time and place.
Totally agree.
2. It sounds like there was a problem with an intoxicated teacher and it was dealt with. Yeah, it sucks that a teacher was arrested, but why not express her displeasure while she was still a student? It sounds like the school dealt with it. Maybe she did, and maybe there is much more to the story. Bringing it up during her speech was serving what purpose, though?
Yeah, I see no blame for the school here. An individual teacher was drinking on the job. The school found out, and that teacher was removed. What else would the school have done?
It’s the counselors job to notify students about possible scholarships. If the counselor didn’t give students the information in enough time before the deadline, money is lost.
It is the counselors' (counselors plural) job to create a system by which the seniors can access information about scholarships -- not to call up individuals and say, "Why don't you apply for this specific scholarship?"
At our school, this happens in several ways:
- On the first day of school the guidance office sends home (in the pack of back-to-school information) a flyer about HOW to find scholarships.
- The county office maintains an online list of scholarships -- it's accessible through the front page of our school website. Students can read through a very long list and pick out scholarships for which they think they have a reasonable chance. Most students ignore this list, saying, "But most of these don't work for me! I'm not going to major in Nursing, so I don't qualify for this one. My parents are not veterans, so I don't qualify for that one. I quit." Doesn't mean the information wasn't provided for them.
- The counselors from all the county high schools get together and hold a meeting about HOW TO APPLY three times in the fall ... the three meetings are identical, and they're held at locations across our (large) county so everyone has three opportunities to attend.
- These county-wide meetings also discuss how to fill out the FAFSA form. Again, three opportunities.
- The guidance counselors maintain a filing cabinet in their front office that's full of local scholarship forms. Students can come in before /after school or during lunch to leaf through the files and take what they want.
- The guidance counselors come to every senior English and math class to remind students of what they told them on that first day /through that flyer. Students have a chance to ask questions about HOW to access scholarships.
- I don't think this is an unusual set-up. The information is available for those who use the system and search for scholarships.
People are getting fed up with the so called elites and people in power. You are seeing more and more people speaking out. I think it is a good sign. The laundry needs to be aired out.
You think any elites work in high schools?
What this young lady did was exactly what our current society taught her to do, speak out loud and with resolve, regardless of the time or place.
This is true ... and it was totally devoid of eloquence, appropriateness, and couth.
If she really wanted to change things, she could've asked for an appointment with the principal ... or the county superintendent ... or the state superintendent ... or she could've made flyers and passed them out at voting places ... or she could've contacted one of those "On your side" news crews ... any of those would've been more appropriate than botching the graduation of her fellow students.
What bothers me about it is that it was an airing of personal grievances, some of which were by her own words already resolved. There wasn't any real "call for change" in her message because it was so focused at the individual level.
Yes, she seems to be "tattling" and trying to demean people -- not "call for change".
I agree. And I think this stunt will totally come back to bite her in the butt when it comes time to look for employment.
Oh, totally. It might not even be employment ... she could lose her university admission or scholarships. And, yes, the internet is forever, so when she applies for jobs, companies will research her background and will see this. Yes, the chances of this happening are very strong.
I have once seen a student lose a university admission very "late in the game". Short story: the student was a known cheater /very good at cheating. The student was admitted to a prestigious school (was a scholarship involved? can't remember), and a teacher wrote annonymously to the university /told about cheating, and the student's admission was revoked. I don't know who wrote to the school, and I'm not defending this as "best practice" by any means ... but the student did kinda get what was coming to him. He WAS a cheater.
n that the speech has to be inspiring? If it's written somewhere, our new superintendent didn't read it. More on that after I resp
I think it's written in the same place as the idea that we are required to dress our students in caps and gowns and march them across the stage. It's tradition, not requirement.
:confused3 Probably just a full-of-herself bratty teen; which is a condition that ebbs and flows.
That rings true.
C'mon - she wasn't looking to "have issues addressed". The time for doing that in any productive way was long past. She was calling out people and trying to embarrass them in a way she probably though was edgy and clever. Not exactly a brave warrior for truth and justice...
Agree.
the change it's most likely to bring about is that the next kid won't get to give a speech. Admin will no longer feel safe assuming that the next student won't try to top this one.
Yes, that IS the change most likely to happen.

The fact that she accused someone of being an alcoholic in a very public manner shows exactly the type of person she is.

Yes. Sadly, some people have drug and alcohol issues. A graduation is not the place to address those issues. Especially since it was done in order to shame the alcoholic.

It also seems quite slanderous.

The fact that she accused someone of being an alcoholic in a very public manner shows exactly the type of person she is.

Yes. Sadly, some people have drug and alcohol issues. A graduation is not the place to address those issues. Especially since it was done in order to shame the alcoholic.

It also seems quite slanderous.

There are two sides to this - does the public have the right to know that there are drunk teachers in the school? I'm not talking about after school hours, I'm talking during school hours. Or should that be hidden so that they don't know there's a hot mess in the schools? Think of the catholic church scandal - that was hidden from the public for how long?

There are two sides to this - does the public have the right to know that there are drunk teachers in the school? I'm not talking about after school hours, I'm talking during school hours. Or should that be hidden so that they don't know there's a hot mess in the schools? Think of the catholic church scandal - that was hidden from the public for how long?
Yes! If there is a drunk or drug addicted adult within the school during school hours, I actually think that is a legal issue that should immediately be handled.

A graduation speech was not the place to bring it up. It doesn't show concern for safety. It shows vindictiveness and immaturity to bring alcoholism up in a public speech.

If you are in a classroom with an intoxicated teacher, call 911.

Last edited:
About 10-12 years ago.
If anyone were to push the school on this practice, it wouldn't go well for the school. Why? Because every state /county /school system has a very specific list of requirements for earning that diploma. Perhaps your students are required to complete X number of credits (this many Englishes, this many maths, etc.) and to pass a computer competency test and a CRP class ... I promise you, your school has a list of requirements. Every student who puts on a cap and gown and walks into graduation has met those requirements.
One of those requirements is NOT "sit pretty and behave at graduation". Yes, it's a social expectation, but it's not a requirement for the diploma.
If you require naughty students to do MORE after graduation day, you're not in compliance with the requirements for earning that diploma.
Yes, I personally think community service is a great plan, but it wouldn't stand up to scrutinty.
Totally agree.
Yeah, I see no blame for the school here. An individual teacher was drinking on the job. The school found out, and that teacher was removed. What else would the school have done?
It is the counselors' (counselors plural) job to create a system by which the seniors can access information about scholarships -- not to call up individuals and say, "Why don't you apply for this specific scholarship?"
At our school, this happens in several ways:
- On the first day of school the guidance office sends home (in the pack of back-to-school information) a flyer about HOW to find scholarships.
- The county office maintains an online list of scholarships -- it's accessible through the front page of our school website. Students can read through a very long list and pick out scholarships for which they think they have a reasonable chance. Most students ignore this list, saying, "But most of these don't work for me! I'm not going to major in Nursing, so I don't qualify for this one. My parents are not veterans, so I don't qualify for that one. I quit." Doesn't mean the information wasn't provided for them.
- The counselors from all the county high schools get together and hold a meeting about HOW TO APPLY three times in the fall ... the three meetings are identical, and they're held at locations across our (large) county so everyone has three opportunities to attend.
- These county-wide meetings also discuss how to fill out the FAFSA form. Again, three opportunities.
- The guidance counselors maintain a filing cabinet in their front office that's full of local scholarship forms. Students can come in before /after school or during lunch to leaf through the files and take what they want.
- The guidance counselors come to every senior English and math class to remind students of what they told them on that first day /through that flyer. Students have a chance to ask questions about HOW to access scholarships.
- I don't think this is an unusual set-up. The information is available for those who use the system and search for scholarships.
You think any elites work in high schools?
This is true ... and it was totally devoid of eloquence, appropriateness, and couth.
If she really wanted to change things, she could've asked for an appointment with the principal ... or the county superintendent ... or the state superintendent ... or she could've made flyers and passed them out at voting places ... or she could've contacted one of those "On your side" news crews ... any of those would've been more appropriate than botching the graduation of her fellow students.
Yes, she seems to be "tattling" and trying to demean people -- not "call for change".
Oh, totally. It might not even be employment ... she could lose her university admission or scholarships. And, yes, the internet is forever, so when she applies for jobs, companies will research her background and will see this. Yes, the chances of this happening are very strong.
I have once seen a student lose a university admission very "late in the game". Short story: the student was a known cheater /very good at cheating. The student was admitted to a prestigious school (was a scholarship involved? can't remember), and a teacher wrote annonymously to the university /told about cheating, and the student's admission was revoked. I don't know who wrote to the school, and I'm not defending this as "best practice" by any means ... but the student did kinda get what was coming to him. He WAS a cheater.
I think it's written in the same place as the idea that we are required to dress our students in caps and gowns and march them across the stage. It's tradition, not requirement.
That rings true.
Agree.
Yes, that IS the change most likely to happen.

Sounds like your school has a very organized way of getting the information out. Not all do. In the years that my kids were in school and in between, the school has gone through many counselors. They have one and an assistant. Some have been horrible at their job. Like I said, not even getting out the information on the numerous alumni scholarships given each year. These scholarships are given at a big alumni event each year and there were years that it was embarrassing how few were actually given. And while what you describe may not be unusual, the experience our school had and what this young lady had isn’t so unusual either. Again, not really fair to dismiss what she experienced by our own experience.

Yes! If there is a drunk or drug addicted adult within the school during school hours, I actually think that is a legal issue that should immediately be handled.

A graduation speech was not the place to bring it up. It doesn't show concern for safety. It shows vindictiveness and immaturity to bring alcoholism up in a public speech.

If you are in a classroom with an intoxicated teacher, call 911.

You realize that at most schools, if a student were to call 911 about a drunk teacher, the first thing dispatch or even the responding officers are going to do is talk to admin? They aren’t going to come running into the classroom.

What we do not know is if the removed teacher was swept under the rug? Did parents know of this problem? Was it addressed to them? Or was this the first that many of them heard of it?

You realize that at most schools, if a student were to call 911 about a drunk teacher, the first thing dispatch or even the responding officers are going to do is talk to admin? They aren’t going to come running into the classroom.

What we do not know is if the removed teacher was swept under the rug? Did parents know of this problem? Was it addressed to them? Or was this the first that many of them heard of it?
Then send out a mass email. Take out a page in the newspaper. Call the local television stations. Post it on Facebook if you are 100% sure your child is in the classroom with a drunk.

Don't wait until a formal affair that many view as a very special and memorable occasion to accuse someone of being an alcoholic.

And, again, you darn well better have some facts to back up such an accusation.

My very good friend has MS. She truly could have sued her place of employment for the harrassment and slander that went on while she was in the process of being diagnosed.

There are many reasons why people slur, walk with an uneven gait, stumble, etc.

Unless you see someone sitting and drinking excessively, you need to be careful of what you accuse them of doing. Especially at a formal, public event.

And, no. I didn't realize 911 doesn't respond to children who feel they are in danger within the classroom. Wow. In 2019, it's difficult to believe that 911 would not come running to a school where students are reporting an adult under the influence. Especially with all of the school violence as of late. Do you have any links to back this up?

Is it even legal for 911 operators to brush off calls of children that are reporting they are under the care of someone intoxicated?

Last edited:
And, no. I didn't realize 911 doesn't respond to children who feel they are in danger within the classroom. Wow. In 2019, it's difficult to believe that 911 would not come running to a school where students are reporting an adult under the influence. Especially with all of the school violence as of late. Do you have any links to back this up?

Is it even legal for 911 operators to brush off calls of children that are reporting they are under the care of someone intoxicated?

No, I don't mean they would brush them off. Just that they aren't going to go storming into a classroom on the word of a student. Everyone that goes on most campuses (at least around here) has to go through the front office, even law enforcement. If they go to the classroom, 9 out of 10 times, the administrator or campus police is going to go with them. I would think for most places, they would go to the classroom to check it out or just to be sure. But an intoxicated teacher does not = school violence. Two very different things.

And no, I do not have links to the process at any of the local schools. But, think about it this way, they go storming in to one classroom because a student calls 911, disrupts the class and most of that hall, not much learning going to happen during that period of the day . Suddenly they get numerous calls every time a big test comes up. It would be the new "bomb threat" from students wanting out of class. Besides, any of the newer buildings, the law would have absolutely no option but to go through the front office as they can't get in the hallways or classrooms. Even the older buildings would require them to see the front office first unless they plan to bust down some doors.

Then send out a mass email. Take out a page in the newspaper. Call the local television stations. Post it on Facebook if you are 100% sure your child is in the classroom with a drunk.

Don't wait until a formal affair that many view as a very special and memorable occasion to accuse someone of being an alcoholic.

And, again, you darn well better have some facts to back up such an accusation.

My very good friend has MS. She truly could have sued her place of employment for the harrassment and slander that went on while she was in the process of being diagnosed.

There are many reasons why people slur, walk with an uneven gait, stumble, etc.

Unless you see someone sitting and drinking excessively, you need to be careful of what you accuse them of doing. Especially at a formal, public event.

Well, I think the teacher was fired. So, the school's actions back up what she says.

Back in the days of the dinosaurs, when I was in high school, we had two problem teachers. One drank in class (she had a flask that we saw her use) and the other didn't drink on the job but came in extremely hung over. Quite honestly, the one drinking on the job was a whole lot easier to deal with than the one that was hung over. The hung over teacher would come in Monday morning and put her chair on top of her desk and spend an hour yelling at us. Or like one Monday, she got really mad that someone didn't have their book so she stomped around the room checking everyone's books to make sure they had them. Anyone that didn't, had to go sit in the hall for the principal to deal with. Well, one of the students just happened to be brand new and from South America (didn't speak any English, yet). The poor kid was in tears because she was yelling and telling him to go to the hall, he didn't understand her so another girl was translating and he was trying to tell them he had not been assigned a book. I am surprised he wasn't on the first flight back home. But, luckily, the principal saw everyone in the hallway and put everyone back in class with no issues. He stuck his head in the door and told her to see him after class.

How do we know she was hung over? It was very obvious by looking at her besides she told us one or two times during the year. And no illness would cause her to be fine Tuesday-Friday and a crazy person on Monday. But, it wasn't something we could call 911 about, even if we had a way to call. She wasn't actually a danger, other than scaring the one poor guy to death. She just wasn't teaching us anything.

The one that drank, actually did manage to handle herself pretty good and taught her classes.

Oh wow. So the matter was taken care of? And she still brought it up in her graduation speech?

This girl is a world class brat.

Did you listen to the speech? She didn't call the teacher's name. She didn't name anyone. She simply thanked the drinking teacher for "teaching them about the dangers of alcohol". And with the audible gasp when she says it, I wonder how much of it was swept under the rug and not addressed at all. As a parent, I would be furious.

And, you know, they could have cut her mic at any time. Wonder why they didn't.

Funny enough, if you read comments in other places online, she is getting more positive feedback than negative. Many are saying "thank you" for speaking out, even some teachers. Also, the girl is quoted as saying that she didn't expect to bring about change but that she is hoping others are encouraged to speak out about issues in the school.

Did you listen to the speech? She didn't call the teacher's name. She didn't name anyone. She simply thanked the drinking teacher for "teaching them about the dangers of alcohol".
She did this in a snide way. She was not sincerely giving her gratitude to the teacher with alcoholism. I feel so sorry for the recovering alcoholics in the audience that had to sit through this girl rehashing something that was already taken care of...just so she could serve her personal needs to get the "last laugh". It's an embarrassing and debilitating disease to many people. It was not the time or place to bring this up, especially in such a smug manner. I don't know how anyone could think this was appropriate.

Funny enough, if you read comments in other places online, she is getting more positive feedback than negative.

I guess it depends on where you are reading. I have seen mostly negative comments all over the internet about this girl. Really, who would think this was an uplifting speech to her graduating class?

She did this in a snide way. She was not sincerely giving her gratitude to the teacher with alcoholism. I feel so sorry for the recovering alcoholics in the audience that had to sit through this girl rehashing something that was already taken care of...just so she could serve her personal needs to get the "last laugh". It's an embarrassing and debilitating disease to many people. It was not the time or place to bring this up, especially in such a smug manner. I don't know how anyone could think this was appropriate.

I guess it depends on where you are reading. I have seen mostly negative comments all over the internet about this girl. Really, who would think this was an uplifting speech to her graduating class?

Was she laughing? I doubt she found a drunk teacher being hauled off by the cops funny.
She said that teacher regularly taught while being drunk. I guess it took the cops taking him away before the school did something about it. Now those parents know what goes on in that school.
Maybe it wasn't the right way to go about it, but the truth is she did parents and students a favor by exposing it.

Was she laughing? I doubt she found a drunk teacher being hauled off by the cops funny.
She said that teacher regularly taught while being drunk. I guess it took the cops taking him away before the school did something about it. Now those parents know what goes on in that school.
Maybe it wasn't the right way to go about it, but the truth is she did parents and students a favor by exposing it.
If the teacher was removed publicly during school time by the police I highly doubt it's the first time people in general were aware; in other words I doubt she was the whistleblower. Kids talk, parents talk. It didn't sound like the teacher was removed by the police on graduation day. It really served no purpose to bring it up in her speech and it's the one part that reflects more than anything her character IMO.

If the teacher was removed publicly during school time by the police I highly doubt it's the first time people in general were aware; in other words I doubt she was the whistleblower. Kids talk, parents talk. It didn't sound like the teacher was removed by the police on graduation day. It really served no purpose to bring it up in her speech and it's the one part that reflects more than anything her character IMO.

I have had 2 kids go through the HS and one still in it, I guarantee I am not 100% aware of all that goes on.
The district and school certainly aren't open with parents, just the general "incident" emails but never any details. Unless it makes the local newspaper then I have no idea what is truly going on.
What struck me is that she said "regularly" came to class drunk and IMO that means the school administration most likely knew there was an issue and never did anything about it. That is what she exposed- not the fact that he was hauled away by police but that coming to class drunk was an issue up until that point.
You think if parents knew that was an issue that it would have gone on so long? I don't.

What's done is done, she clearly has people who support her for doing what she did so those who don't probably don't matter much to her.

I live in the county that this school is in, although not the direct neighborhood.
This district has had several scandals recently and is a mess, all after-school tutoring, summer school, etc was cancelled this year because of a budget fiasco. I highly doubt one student complaining about their counselor would be addressed in any way at their meetings, just ignored more likely. If the valedictorian of the school wasn't given any help applying for college, do you think any other students at the school got help? Wouldn't you at least try to make sure the most likely student from your school got into college if it was your job to help them? My guess is the counselors are too busy with discipline cases and their district budget fiasco doesn't allow for more staff. This school is 2 miles from a huge border crossing to Mexico, 99% minority and 70% economically disadvantaged; these kids need help if they are interested in college. I'm guessing very few of their parents have experience applying for college or even know how to start the process.
I don't have any kids who go there or know anyone so this is all just what I've heard on the news about the district, but I wouldn't be surprised if everything she said was true and known about before and no actions had been taken.

You really think that calling 911 because a teacher is drunk is the appropriate use of 911? Really? Unless there is actual medical emergency or danger don't go calling 911.
If a teacher is drunk maybe a student could meander down to the office and say "hey someone needs to come down to room X as Mrs. B is acting odd". Not call the police.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter