• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Race Enhancements: Metal medals for 5Ks!

I think this is going to help alleviate the strain on the 10K registrations now since a 5K medal is "real".

Good on Disney for listening to feedback about the 'plastic medals'.

I'll probably be the cheese that stands alone here, but I'm sort of disappointed about the metal 5K medals. I haven't ever done a 5K at Disney yet (my first will likely be as part of Dopey 2018), but I always liked the fun colorful nature of the old non-metal (rubber?) medals. Not a huge deal obviously, but that's not especially an enhancement for me, but I know for many others it will be. I also kinda like the printed guides, but I get why they would switch away from them.

I'll probably be the cheese that stands alone here, but I'm sort of disappointed about the metal 5K medals. I haven't ever done a 5K at Disney yet (my first will likely be as part of Dopey 2018), but I always liked the fun colorful nature of the old non-metal (rubber?) medals. Not a huge deal obviously, but that's not especially an enhancement for me, but I know for many others it will be. I also kinda like the printed guides, but I get why they would switch away from them.

I kinda agree. I'll miss the colorfulness of the old 5K medals, but I also kinda like the actual metal medals. I'm a little torn on it.

Just posted on the Disney Parks Blog!
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/new-rundisney-enhancements-coming-this-race-season/

Takeaways: METAL medals for the 5Ks and digital programs instead of the printed guides.

It's nice to see them make changes. I'm a bit of a cynic so I look at the cost/time savings of only doing a Digital Race Program as something that doesn't really denote an active response to runner concerns; but changing the 5K medals is something that has definitely been a topic among runners for a while, so that's encouraging.

I kind of liked having a printed out race guide. However I have my phone with me at all times so the digital one isn't bad either.

I LOVE that country bear medal. I so wish I was doing that race. Country bears are like my favorite and big Al is on the medal.

Anyone else think they'll use this as a reason to increase 5K registration fees?!

I like the rubber medallions too, they're always really fun and cute. The event guide becoming digital made me chuckle a bit...like, okay? They've had digital versions for awhile now.

Sidenote: I still don't understand the Disneyland 5K being themed to an attraction that's not even IN Disneyland...:upsidedow

I had wanted to get my kids signed up for the 10k so they had a real metal medal, but could only get them in for the 5k. I felt bad they were going to have a cheap rubber medal and I would have 3 medal ones. This is fantastic news for me! Guilt gone! :p

Anyone else think they'll use this as a reason to increase 5K registration fees?!

I like the rubber medallions too, they're always really fun and cute. The event guide becoming digital made me chuckle a bit...like, okay? They've had digital versions for awhile now.

Sidenote: I still don't understand the Disneyland 5K being themed to a ride that's not even IN Disneyland...:upsidedow
Country bears isn't a ride lol...

Bottom line - no Country Bears in Disneyland, it's an odd choice for the 5K theme.

This. I just realized a few days ago that it's Country Bears themed and they're not in the park. :rotfl:

So many other dynamic duos they could have used. Timon and Pumba for example.

This. I just realized a few days ago that it's Country Bears themed and they're not in the park. :rotfl:

But Timon and pumba aren't really in the park either.

They use to be there though so it is like a throw back to history theme.

I get it. However it was once a show there. If you ride pooh which took over the show building where country bears was you can see the three mounted animals still hanging above during the ride.
I know. I still think it's an odd choice.

THIS. Timon and Pumba would have been great for the 5K.

The only reason it is odd to me is they are not a "Duo". When I think of Country Bear Jamboree, I don't think of 2 people who are a duo I think of the whole group of bears.

I kinda agree. I'll miss the colorfulness of the old 5K medals, but I also kinda like the actual metal medals. I'm a little torn on it.

I like the colorful 5K medals as well, but I've seen plenty of metal race medals that incorporate color with equal effectiveness. I always found it odd when running a challenge that the 5K medal was obviously so different than the others and I think it did lessen the experience/accomplishment of finishing a 5K for some with the medal being different. I like the look of the first three examples they pictured, but hopefully they don't abandon color all together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter