• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Race Enhancements: Metal medals for 5Ks!

disney does police this, I have given medals out for Disney races, and one of the big things they are always saying is to watch that people don't take/get 2 medals. They actually have people who's sole job is to watch the runners as they cross the finish line to make sure they don't do this. Yes I'm sure you still have sneaky people, but it is policed.

It is good that they try to police it. I guess it is like the corral jumpers. When you know a lot of them it probably feels like it happens more than it actually does. Perhaps the 5 people I know who steal medals from every race are the only 5 people that do it.

I love the metal medals for the 5Ks! The Holiday 5K one is adorable! I think it's a good change, even though it is true that the medallions were more colorful. I agree that now all they need to do is give tech shirts for the 5Ks as well.

And this was brought up in another thread a couple weeks ago, but now that this is happening, I wonder if the change will take a little bit of pressure off the 10Ks. Not a significant amount, but at least a little. The scheduling with the 5Ks being on Fridays will still be a factor, but for people thinking about the medal and wanting it to be metal, some may be more inclined to do the 5K if they're not ready for a 10K. My sister is going to be trying to sign up for the Dark Side 10K when it opens, but if she doesn't get in, I think she might be okay signing up for the 5K.

I had no idea that people would steal an extra medal. That seems crazy to me. I did get an extra medal in the shadow box I purchased from Disney for my first marathon though, so I guess I get it if you want it for a shadowbox, but then buy it from a legitimate source that is sanctioned to provide it.

I don't have any major cures for the course crowding and corral jumping beyond what's already been said. There are certainly things that RD could do to tighten things, but frankly I just don't think they feel like it's a big enough problem to spend the time, money and resources to fix it.

I completely agree with @ZellyB I really liked the look of those bright, colourful medallions, however I too have never run a Disney 5K so really my input is worthless, but was looking forward to the "cartoon" uniqueness at Dopey.
And adding my two cents on the lameness of the Country Bears as a "Duo". 1) They are a group 2) There a heaps better choices!!! 3) It just feels very random.

I think the problem is that the solutions are all fairly easy to identify but virtually impossible to imagine rD implementing.

Corral placement/abuse is a relatively easy fix...as long as you can convince rD to enforce their current PoT system, check and verify the times submitted into the system, and then be willing to ruffle the feathers of runners who don't have verifiable times. Some people would still slip through the cracks, but it could be relatively successful if they were willing to do it.

Course crowding has multiple solutions. RunDisney could allow fewer entrants into their races. This could somewhat take care of itself in the future if road race entries continue to fade after the recent boom, but it seems unlikely that rD would willingly limit entries to a point where course crowding was no longer an issue. They could also have more corrals and/or a larger span between the release of corrals. With Park openings being the primary concern for the scheduling of the races this would also appear unlikely as it would require a longer time frame for each race. Assuming they can't allow for more time for each race under the current setup they could start the races earlier, but with the comically early transportation and starting line schedule they already have this also seems implausible. A last solution could be multiple courses to help with crowding but...yeah, they're not going to put in that much extra expense/effort.

I'm sorry if this reads too flippant. I think everyone is, from time to time, at least a little annoyed with the economic realities of how Disney operates. As you said, "Disney has their money..." I continue to be hopeful that rD will be proactive to find solutions to make their product better, but I am prepared to enjoy it for what it is in the event that they don't.

I don't think RunDisney is too worried about ruffling a few feathers around corral assignments given what I've seen and the sometimes hard line that they've taken regarding missed/late PoTs and policies on Expo corral changes which seem to be hit or miss. I really think it comes down to a pure logistics issue around how much they really CAN do for time checking.

We know that RunDisney is a pretty small organization tasked with running all of the events that they put on and that leads them to focus heavily on the next event up. I pulled some numbers on registrations for Marathon Weekend. There were 26,700 entries for the marathon alone. Let's say, for the sake of this exercise, that 75% provided a proof of time and that verifying that proof of time takes 30 seconds per entrant (given my experience looking up results on race sites I'd guess it take a bit longer, though). Given those assumptions, it would take more than 167 man hours to verify all the PoTs for the marathon alone. That would take one person more than 4 weeks of doing nothing but verifications all day long. Then you have to factor in all the additional half marathon participants not running the marathon and add that time up, too. That's a pretty massive investment of time for a small organization.

Can the process be automated? I'm not an IT person so I honestly don't know. If they need to invest in more people to make that happen or commission development of an automated solution, that gets expensive quickly. Opinions may vary on this, but I'd rather live with a few mis-corralled folks than pay more on top of the already sky high race fees.

I can't believe that people take medals or take extra - I'm such a rule follower that I'm shocked that it happens.

And then logically, I'm not surprised that it happens. *sigh*

Trust me I was shocked. Even more shocked with the people I know who do it because they are not ones I would have expected to.

I don't think RunDisney is too worried about ruffling a few feathers around corral assignments given what I've seen and the sometimes hard line that they've taken regarding missed/late PoTs and policies on Expo corral changes which seem to be hit or miss. I really think it comes down to a pure logistics issue around how much they really CAN do for time checking.

We know that RunDisney is a pretty small organization tasked with running all of the events that they put on and that leads them to focus heavily on the next event up. I pulled some numbers on registrations for Marathon Weekend. There were 26,700 entries for the marathon alone. Let's say, for the sake of this exercise, that 75% provided a proof of time and that verifying that proof of time takes 30 seconds per entrant (given my experience looking up results on race sites I'd guess it take a bit longer, though). Given those assumptions, it would take more than 167 man hours to verify all the PoTs for the marathon alone. That would take one person more than 4 weeks of doing nothing but verifications all day long. Then you have to factor in all the additional half marathon participants not running the marathon and add that time up, too. That's a pretty massive investment of time for a small organization.

Can the process be automated? I'm not an IT person so I honestly don't know. If they need to invest in more people to make that happen or commission development of an automated solution, that gets expensive quickly. Opinions may vary on this, but I'd rather live with a few mis-corralled folks than pay more on top of the already sky high race fees.

I understand your point. I've never had an issue with anything at the expo (lucky, I guess) so I haven't seen or experienced the process of trying to get things changed. I guess some anecdotal evidence (medals to non-finishers, stories of successful coral changes, etc.) gave me the impression that they took the path of least resistance in most cases.

I guess I did a poor job communicating my point that all of the fixes to the most commonly held problems are fairly easy to identify; but they would require hiring more people and/or putting a heavier load on the current employees, all with somewhat diminishing returns. I totally agree that enforcing their current PoT would require a vast time commitment, something that probably wouldn't help them much. In the end (as with almost anything) they are reliant on the overwhelming majority of runners following the rules and choosing not to "cheat" in any fashion.

What were rD events like back when you started running Goofy is 2006 and onward? My first rD race was the Half in 2012 at Marathon weekend and I can see a decline in the product as well. I am asking whole-heartedly out of curiosity and no criticism.

So back in the day, the courses were very different. The marathon and half marathon were not identical until mile 7 something like it is now. The marathon started with a pre-dawn lap of the World Showcase or Future World, depending on which start you had (red start or blue start). No experience like running the world showcase in the dark with all of the torches lit and a misty fog over the world showcase lagoon. The predawn lap put you in magic kingdom around mile 10. This spread the crowd out even more before you get to the castle. People could get into their natural running rhythm. There were a lot less people on the course. You could even run through the castle, no matter what your pace was. Now if you want to run through the castle you have to get there before it backs up. I've come to dead stops in the castle the past few years. But the first few Goofys I could run the castle and get good pictures regardless of pace. Remember in my Goofy career I've ranged everywhere from 1:55 half to 6:57 full so I have been all over the place with my pace. The ability to run through the castle was a result of the course crowd and not a function of my speed.

There was no such thing as "just running the half" or "only running the full." Each race was celebrated as an accomplishment. Now people can feel like a second rate citizen for "only running the 10k." I know the announcers try to make it a point of humor but it falls flat.

The race expo was better. Not as crowded. No eBay scalpers buying up everything for markup and resale. Actual swag, like cameras and sharpies. Shirt and bib pickup in the same location. Runner relations was helpful if you had a problem. They allowed for timing chip verification before you left the floor. We had different bibs for the half and the full, and we got wristbands upon completion of the half. This allowed for recognition of other Goofy runners around the theme parks. I know it is a small thing but it allowed for a feeling of inclusion like we were all part of some secret society. The race expo actually had good, world class speakers. Nothing against Jeff Galloway, but we would have talks given by Team Hoyt, Frank Shorter, Hansons-Brooks, current world class runners, John Bingham among others. Now we are lucky to get a speaker series schedule tweeted out the day before, and the topics are stale and tired.

There were more characters on the course, and the lines were shorter. The only significant lines would have been for the pirates, Mickey, and Goofy. Lots of rare characters too. I remember seeing Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers (rare for the time, this was pre-Lucasfilm purchase) without a line. We had Hercules and Meg. Great interaction by streetsmophere cast members as well. A copper in MGM studios gave me a citation for "going too fast" and "having too much fun." Expedition Everest was about mile 17 so it was much easier to get a ride during the race without worrying about the 16 minute pace. Disney also gave very specific checkpoints in the written program of the sweep points, so you could do the mental math to know how far in front of the sweepers you are. They would have more distraction things on the course as well, such as riddles or brain teasers from Sharpie. Oh yeah, and NO WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS!

Runners were a bit different then as well. Hardly any course cutting (or if they did it wasn't all over social media). No fighting for race expo purchases. Better course etiquette; rarely encountered walkers blocking the entire road. Runners were not as demanding or entitled. For example, the runDisney facebook page is full of people wanting medal reveals/Dooney information/Shirt reveal as soon as they register. The marketing campaign for the 15th marathon was intentionally not reveal the medal until the finish line. That would never happen now. Guess people don't want to be surprised? Costumes were nowhere near as elaborate as they are now. It was more of a Disney-Bounding thing. Side note: My wife was featured on one of the photos on the older Disney Endurance Sports website. She was running in a tech costume inspired by Snow White. This was before the current website.

Food was not in the prepackaged box. I know many people like the cheese (as do I) but it seems a bit more industrial now. Could just be me.

Races did not sell out immediately and you would get the percent sold on the website. I could wait months to register for Goofy (which sold out much faster back in the pre-Dopey days). Oh, and did I mention the price? First year Goofy was in the $130-$150 range if I recall. Now we shell out $600 for Dopey.

Disney has done some good things over the years too. Women's cut shirts. Race weekend transportation. Medals with lanyards that actually go through the medal instead of connecting via a small metal ring. Actually changing medals from year to year. We had the same Goofy medal for 3 out of 4 years. The volunteers are always great, particularly during 2010 when it was Disney on Ice. We got to run to stay warm; the volunteers had to stay put.

I too can't believe that someone would steal a medal or want a medal for a race they didn't run. My Wine and Dine medal from last year feels like a scam to me since it says half marathon on it. I'm keeping it since it is still the medal for finishing the race it turned out to be, which was an accomplishment in and of itself for me considering the delay and how hot it was, but I wish I could etch off the part that says half marathon. I'd never want a medal for something I didn't even do at all.

I too can't believe that someone would steal a medal or want a medal for a race they didn't run. My Wine and Dine medal from last year feels like a scam to me since it says half marathon on it. I'm keeping it since it is still the medal for finishing the race it turned out to be, which was an accomplishment in and of itself for me considering the delay and how hot it was, but I wish I could etch off the part that says half marathon. I'd never want a medal for something I didn't even do at all.

Mine is in a storage bin seperate from all my other medals. Almost took a sharpie to it to make it say half of a half haha.

So back in the day, the courses were very different. The marathon and half marathon were not identical until mile 7 something like it is now. The marathon started with a pre-dawn lap of the World Showcase or Future World, depending on which start you had (red start or blue start). No experience like running the world showcase in the dark with all of the torches lit and a misty fog over the world showcase lagoon. The predawn lap put you in magic kingdom around mile 10. This spread the crowd out even more before you get to the castle. People could get into their natural running rhythm. There were a lot less people on the course. You could even run through the castle, no matter what your pace was. Now if you want to run through the castle you have to get there before it backs up. I've come to dead stops in the castle the past few years. But the first few Goofys I could run the castle and get good pictures regardless of pace. Remember in my Goofy career I've ranged everywhere from 1:55 half to 6:57 full so I have been all over the place with my pace. The ability to run through the castle was a result of the course crowd and not a function of my speed.

There was no such thing as "just running the half" or "only running the full." Each race was celebrated as an accomplishment. Now people can feel like a second rate citizen for "only running the 10k." I know the announcers try to make it a point of humor but it falls flat.

The race expo was better. Not as crowded. No eBay scalpers buying up everything for markup and resale. Actual swag, like cameras and sharpies. Shirt and bib pickup in the same location. Runner relations was helpful if you had a problem. They allowed for timing chip verification before you left the floor. We had different bibs for the half and the full, and we got wristbands upon completion of the half. This allowed for recognition of other Goofy runners around the theme parks. I know it is a small thing but it allowed for a feeling of inclusion like we were all part of some secret society. The race expo actually had good, world class speakers. Nothing against Jeff Galloway, but we would have talks given by Team Hoyt, Frank Shorter, Hansons-Brooks, current world class runners, John Bingham among others. Now we are lucky to get a speaker series schedule tweeted out the day before, and the topics are stale and tired.

There were more characters on the course, and the lines were shorter. The only significant lines would have been for the pirates, Mickey, and Goofy. Lots of rare characters too. I remember seeing Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers (rare for the time, this was pre-Lucasfilm purchase) without a line. We had Hercules and Meg. Great interaction by streetsmophere cast members as well. A copper in MGM studios gave me a citation for "going too fast" and "having too much fun." Expedition Everest was about mile 17 so it was much easier to get a ride during the race without worrying about the 16 minute pace. Disney also gave very specific checkpoints in the written program of the sweep points, so you could do the mental math to know how far in front of the sweepers you are. They would have more distraction things on the course as well, such as riddles or brain teasers from Sharpie. Oh yeah, and NO WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS!

Runners were a bit different then as well. Hardly any course cutting (or if they did it wasn't all over social media). No fighting for race expo purchases. Better course etiquette; rarely encountered walkers blocking the entire road. Runners were not as demanding or entitled. For example, the runDisney facebook page is full of people wanting medal reveals/Dooney information/Shirt reveal as soon as they register. The marketing campaign for the 15th marathon was intentionally not reveal the medal until the finish line. That would never happen now. Guess people don't want to be surprised? Costumes were nowhere near as elaborate as they are now. It was more of a Disney-Bounding thing. Side note: My wife was featured on one of the photos on the older Disney Endurance Sports website. She was running in a tech costume inspired by Snow White. This was before the current website.

Food was not in the prepackaged box. I know many people like the cheese (as do I) but it seems a bit more industrial now. Could just be me.

Races did not sell out immediately and you would get the percent sold on the website. I could wait months to register for Goofy (which sold out much faster back in the pre-Dopey days). Oh, and did I mention the price? First year Goofy was in the $130-$150 range if I recall. Now we shell out $600 for Dopey.

Disney has done some good things over the years too. Women's cut shirts. Race weekend transportation. Medals with lanyards that actually go through the medal instead of connecting via a small metal ring. Actually changing medals from year to year. We had the same Goofy medal for 3 out of 4 years. The volunteers are always great, particularly during 2010 when it was Disney on Ice. We got to run to stay warm; the volunteers had to stay put.

Wow, thanks for your response. Some of these things I remember from my first race in 2012. I remember a bunch of swag (still have my It's My ___ Disney Race pin they gave out). The bib/chip verification booth was awesome and was sad and perplexed why they got rid of it when I returned in 2014. My guess is to allow more vendors on the floor.

The post-race food I remember was self served and nothing was boxed.

The biggest wish I had was being able to run the half or full in the world showcase at dark! Like you said it is such Han awesome feeling but I only got to do this when I ran the 5K this past year. When the talk of what the full course would be for 2016, many had expressed hopes it would go back to the earlier course when runners would loop through the world showcase in the first mile or so. That would have been awesome!

One thing I wish they would actually police is medal theft. I actually know quiet a few runners and volunteers who think it is no big deal to grab an extra medal for their kids or their shadow box or a friend or whatever. I'm sorry it is 1 medal per a runner per a race unless you complete a challenge then of course you get 1 challenge medal.

I've also volunteered at the finish line. Not only are runners/volunteers not supposed to take extra medals, but security is staged in that immediate and surrounding area. The volunteers aren't even supposed to have bags/backpacks in the medal area. I can't tell you the number of times people have tried to swim upstream to get a second medal or move over to another volunteer pretending they didn't get the first medal. I am sure some people are successful ( aka thieves and they should be ashamed!), but rD really does try to stop it.

I can't believe that people take medals or take extra - I'm such a rule follower that I'm shocked that it happens.

And then logically, I'm not surprised that it happens. *sigh*

I worked a few inaugural races. You have no idea the lengths ( and sob stories) some people used to try for extra medals. No. Having your child (with no bib) run across the finish line with you does not get you an extra medal...even if she is cute...even if she is crying."

Thank you so much for sharing!

This is incredible, and you're right - it does put in to perspective the total dilution of the product.

I know we bantered about the runners at current-day Disney races and I still stand by my statement. But I can completely understand where your frustrations lie.

But this is due in part to the surge in popularity of "running" among the masses, and not just RD races but major races as a whole.

RunDisney found the sweet spot with newbie runners and have been aggressive in capitalizing on it, in many cases to the detriment of the weekend.

The biggest issue I have as a newbie RD participant is price point. I'm glad that the 5K is a metal medal, but I'd like to see them move to better shirts. That said, I think they've got to evaluate a lot of things ....

I too was upset in the starting coral when they announced that the W&D 2015 course would be shortened. That being said it was my first rD race and I wanted to make the best of it. I had ordered the frame from Lasting Commemoratives and everything but now I was only going to have run a 1/2 of a half. I took the medal with no regrets and even had Lasting Commemoratives put 1/2 of a half finisher on the medal/frame that I had ordered. You could get a refund if you wanted but I chose to get it anyway. I did this as I figured it would be a great conversation piece and you know what, it is. So, I didn't feel scammed I just made the best of a non-optimal situation, but I understand how many do feel underwhelmed. You are 100% right it was an accomplishment if for nothing else surviving the hour + delay with the masses in the stadium and field houses! 8-)

Let's me ask, when you started runningDisney, what were the estimated amount of runners for the races?

I too was upset in the starting coral when they announced that the W&D 2015 course would be shortened. That being said it was my first rD race and I wanted to make the best of it. I had ordered the frame from Lasting Commemoratives and everything but now I was only going to have run a 1/2 of a half. I took the medal with no regrets and even had Lasting Commemoratives put 1/2 of a half finisher on the medal/frame that I had ordered. You could get a refund if you wanted but I chose to get it anyway. I did this as I figured it would be a great conversation piece and you know what, it is. So, I didn't feel scammed I just made the best of a non-optimal situation, but I understand how many do feel underwhelmed. You are 100% right it was an accomplishment if for nothing else surviving the hour + delay with the masses in the stadium and field houses! 8-)
That's a good way to look at it. :thumbsup2 I was just particularly disappointed personally since it was my first Run Disney race and it was supposed to be my first half. But I do still love the medal and it is a story to tell. That being said, I am going back for Wine and Dine this year and doing the Lumiere Challenge, so I hope I get the full and true experience this time.

I like the idea but I liked having a buffer for my bling LOL. No really though it sounds great and I can't wait to see the PHM medals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter