Race Enhancements: Metal medals for 5Ks!

I worked a few inaugural races. You have no idea the lengths ( and sob stories) some people used to try for extra medals. No. Having your child (with no bib) run across the finish line with you does not get you an extra medal...even if she is cute...even if she is crying."

The sense of entitlement people have is astounding. Not surprising, mind you, but for sure astounding.

I'm excited to see the new 5k designs. I'm really considering adding more 5ks to my Rundisney weekends!

Anyone else think they'll use this as a reason to increase 5K registration fees?!

I like the rubber medallions too, they're always really fun and cute. The event guide becoming digital made me chuckle a bit...like, okay? They've had digital versions for awhile now.

Sidenote: I still don't understand the Disneyland 5K being themed to an attraction that's not even IN Disneyland...:upsidedow
Star Wars Dark Side 5K entry fee went up $5 from last year to this year...thanks, metal medals!! :P

Star Wars Dark Side 5K entry fee went up $5 from last year to this year...thanks, metal medals!! :P

Just checked my receipt for the 5K during the Disneyland Half (from January's registration) and it was $80 - so that totally makes sense. I know the Captain American 5K was also $80. Ha!

Just checked my receipt for the 5K during the Disneyland Half (from January's registration) and it was $80 - so that totally makes sense. I know the Captain American 5K was also $80. Ha!
True...but DL 5Ks have always been a little more compared to WDW 5Ks. Princess 5K for 2017 cost $75. :scratchin

True...but DL 5Ks have always been a little more compared to WDW 5Ks. Princess 5K for 2017 cost $75. :scratchin

Hmm, I got nothing then...I would have said that they knew the medal change was coming, but obviously not. :rotfl:
Ah, Disney - please don't ever change your randomness.

Hmm, I got nothing then...I would have said that they knew the medal change was coming, but obviously not. :rotfl:
Ah, Disney - please don't ever change your randomness.
Haha, right? I'd say maybe the fact that it's Star Wars also related to the price increase for the 5K (because Star Wars = $$), but they actually DECREASED the registration fee for the SWDS half marathon, sooo...?? :confused:

Anyone else think they'll use this as a reason to increase 5K registration fees?!

I like the rubber medallions too, they're always really fun and cute. The event guide becoming digital made me chuckle a bit...like, okay? They've had digital versions for awhile now.

Yeah the aspect of the event guides also made me chuckle as this is nothing new. I am bummed they will not be giving them out in the packets.

I think the medal change was for the 5K was in part to several different factors:

1) People were wanting a "real" medal
2) One reason to further increase prices for the 5K
3) Help relieve 10K demand (obviously their is greater demand than Disney is able to supply)
4) Increase 5K sell outs

Maybe the 5Ks having metal medals will help the 10Ks, but I think it's hard to ACTUALLY measure 10K demand since there are so few dedicated 10K bibs available due to challenges. :confused3 10K is always going to sell out first since there are maybe 5K bibs available (7K going to challenge runners) vs. 12K or so for the 5K races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter