READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you feel about staggered boarding group joins? 1/3 are available at 7:00am, 1/3 at noon, 1/3 at 3pm. Seems like that would give people the option to not show up at Studios stupid early every day.

I wouldn’t like it

For one thing, for the 7 AM openings half or more of the initial BGs are usually called before noon as long as there aren’t too many delays and breakdowns.

Even if the staggered releases were moved up, I would rather know as early in the day as possible what my status is. That opens up options for leaving DHS and doing something else until my BG will be called. Worst case with staggered releases is that you end up getting shut out multiple times and using up much of the day chasing something you never get. Worst case with the current system is that you learn early in the day that you won’t be riding and move on.

When you see how many people are willing to get up and out “stupid early”, just imagine what this would be like if there were no FPs and no VQ and only a standby line. Every person riding would be spending a minimum of a couple of hours, either before park opening or after, waiting in a line to do that one attraction. I prefer the current situation to that or staggered releases.

How would you feel about staggered boarding group joins? 1/3 are available at 7:00am, 1/3 at noon, 1/3 at 3pm. Seems like that would give people the option to not show up at Studios stupid early every day.
I like this idea. It would reduce the number of people at rope drop and help restore early morning touring to more normal. If you choose to sleep in and tour later, you could still have an opportunity to obtain a BG. Those who arrive at rope drop and don't get a BG would still have a couple more opportunities to obtain one. It would be as simple as setting an alarm to remind you to tap your phone a couple of times. Plus, this would allow Disney to adjust the available BGs to the actual ride throughput of the day, reducing the number of Backup BGs that don't ride, reducing compensatory FPs, etc.
Sounds like an improvement over current system.

Better results today. On the bus 6:20, through security and in the park by 6:45. Walked to Backlot express and went to table area next to star tours. Waited until 7 to open app and got BG 18 for 5 person group (compared to 131 on Saturday for 3 of us) In line for MFSR now. Been walking for 40 minutes and just now came to a stop in the line. Our BG already called. 👍🏼
Did you use wifi or 4g? Did you find that the area near Star Tours had decent reception?

Well, made it to 7:05.
That's a bit disappointing since it suggests the quick depletion of regular boarding groups could be here to stay even during "low crowds". I thought it may be headed in the other direction after yesterday, but I guess the one constant right now is that there is no constant. Be prepared for anything and everything.
On Friday we are staying at the Dolphin. Does anyone know if it’s faster to walk or take a boat? I’ve never been there and we arrive late on Thursday night!
Agree with PP - I would walk. We were at Dolphin last week and that's exactly what we did. Since DHS is the first stop after leaving Dolphin, it can be faster - but only if you're not waiting for the boat. Unless the boat is there and boarding when you pass by, I'd go on foot. I have never seen so many people using the walkway to DHS - much less at 6am.
Shift leader: Execute Boarding Group 66

Front line CM: wait, execute the guests? Wow, college program is way more intense than I was expecting

Shift leader: what? No! It was a joke! Would you really kill people if I asked?

Front line CM: what? No of course not ... I mean, would you want me to?

Shift leader:. No, no .... (Not yet at least)
Well played - I was waiting for the Order 66 reference after reading the original post.

Seems like the late openings for all the other parks impacted the initial serge of BGs. Yesterday There was only an hour difference in rope drops and I’m sure that not everyone is educated on the BG process at the start of their vacation. so when they went to another rope drop it caused them to arrive later To DHS to ride, it was explained so they came early today.

I don’t like it.

Not in favour of changes that make this process any more time consuming. I think this just increases the chances that someone wastes their whole day trying to get on, rather than missing out once in the morning and moving on. I think chances are good the bulk of the crowd still shows for earliest BG drop to give themselves a greater chance to secure a spot, making the stakes even higher if you have app or phone trouble.

I think the biggest problem is the speed in which they sell out, not that people need to be there early. If everyone who is in the park at opening has a near guarantee of riding at some point that day, I think no change is best. I would like to see back up groups snagged at opening (on days they sell out in a couple minutes) also qualify for next day FP.

Any word on whether or not the element of the ride that was missing / broken yesterday has been restored?
I avoided spoilers, so I don’t know precisely what part was down. But from the discussion of a lack of context with that part missing, I THINK I know what it was, and was working today.

We were on the bus at 6:15, tapped in at 6:30, DW and I both logged into my MDE profile, both Verizon 4G, hers a Galaxy s10 and mine an iPhone 11. Right at 7, a few seconds after announcement I got in and got boarding group 12! On ride at 7:30, off about 8:15.

Fantastic experience and thanks to all on this thread (and the previous version) for all of the intel. Could not have done it without your help!

From reading these threads it looks like they're letting more people into the park for BG than they were a week or two ago? When we were there the week of Xmas I think it was roped off at the top of Hollywood Blvd and after BGs started, the CMs walked in 2 directions to SWGE or TS only. Now it sounds like people are being held farther in the park before BG open. Which might explain why BGs are going so much faster?

depletion of regular boarding groups could be here to stay even during "low crowds".
Yesterday was not low crowd though. We left resort around 6:18 (POFQ) and we’re in park (with a bag) by 6:48. Got group 111 a late group as only one person was connected on MDE to all of us (guess minor children can’t be connected to others even if all sharing is checked). Had a tech challenge and originally had 40 but something crashed and she had to start over. When our group was called the BG line was at least 1.5 hours long. The DD we were with has a DAS and we used that to skip that waiting (she was already in pain from all we’d done that day) and walked right into first area. Ride is awesome. Going to try for another ride tomorrow with just me and DH (DD and her fam had to head home for work/school Tuesday). Lines everywhere in park insanely long but still managed a last minute FP for 2 on RR at 755pm.

Also noted backups start at 114. Significantly lower than yesterday’s 132. Hopefully they have a much better day all around today performance-wise!

that is interesting. I wonder if it was due to the issue yesterday and early preparation just in case the issue persists.

2 points of data i would love to see: Total number of people in each BG, and total number of backups issued.

the number of people is one variable that could directly impact projections as maybe today they have 1300 per BG allowing 139,000 in the regular groups where yesterday they could have only had 1100, allowing about the same number of people.

that is interesting. I wonder if it was due to the issue yesterday and early preparation just in case the issue persists.

2 points of data i would love to see: Total number of people in each BG, and total number of backups issued.

the number of people is one variable that could directly impact projections as maybe today they have 1300 per BG allowing 139,000 in the regular groups where yesterday they could have only had 1100, allowing about the same number of people.
You math is off by a factor or 10. 😉 Educated guesses are 75-100 per BG.

We’re all speculating here but many of us seem to feel that the # of guests in a BG is not being altered day to day. It just seems to add an unnecessary variable to the process when they can simply use the # of BGs itself to control crowd flow.

Does anyone have a rough idea how many are in a boarding group? Say the least amount and they most the have per group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter