READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I thought it was strange that they had the announcement start about 10 seconds before 8AM and finish a few seconds after 8AM. You would think they they would play it at 7:59AM so people who were clueless could hear the whole message and then have time to open the app right
they play that message every 10 min starting about 30 min before park opening so it's not just once

You say you logged in at 7:59. Does that mean you clicked the Join Boarding Group button at 7:59 as well too? If so, you must wait until after 8:00 to click the Join button.

If you waited until 8am to click the Join button, next time, wait for 8am, then count to 3 before clicking the button to give the app some time to recognize groups are available.

If Join button is still not Red, click My Status button and see if the Join button is Dark Blue and clickable, if not, pull down to refresh once.

If still not active after refresh, click back and check the Join button to see if red now?

If not, force close app, restart it and join should be active.

Do this all quickly so if you do have to restart the app, it will be back up by 25 seconds after 8 at the latest so you still have time to join a group.
Thank you for this tutorial. When you say “force close the app” if the button is still not active, do you just mean close It by swiping up on my iPhone XR to leave the app and then open it again or does force close mean something else? I had some trouble getting to an active button this morning from home. Thanks for your help!

We hope to ride 3/5. We were lucky enough to grab FP for MMRR that day, but with a group of 8, we had to stagger the FP times, so we really only have about a 30 minute window if we want to ride together (10-10:30). If we somehow missed that window due to boarding group being called/riding, would GET be able to reschedule our MMRR FP for us? It should all work out time wise, but I’m mainly concerned because we will have to use rider swap on ROTR.

I am flying in from Germany as well and we are buying a US Sim at Amazon including 4GB included.

I used to buy T-Mobile prepaid sims once we got to the States but with the wifi coverage being so awesome I didn't do that on my last few trips as I literally had wifi everywhere I needed to have a connection. I faired pretty well with it. I just didn't see the point so far in buying a sim card. However, seeing those boarding groups right now, I may reconsider cause I don't think they'll change any time soon. Our DHS day is 3/3 so not that far out....

Thank you for this tutorial. When you say “force close the app” if the button is still not active, do you just mean close It by swiping up on my iPhone XR to leave the app and then open it again or does force close mean something else? I had some trouble getting to an active button this morning from home. Thanks for your help!
When most people are talking about "force closing the app", it is actually closing out of the app altogether (on iPhones: either a double click on the home button or a "short swipe/lift" to display all open apps and then a full swipe up to close the app) and reopening the app completely. You'd want to see the Mickey fireworks as a sign that the app is actually starting up. This takes a lot of time (15+ seconds - lol), but some folks have found that this is actually faster than trying to toggle between "My Status" and back again to get that precious "Join Boarding Group" button to light up.

Edited to be more clear @limabeanmom2003

Last edited:

When most people are talking about "force closing the app", it is as you describe. Actually closing out of the app altogether (swiping up on iPhones) and reopening the app completely.
I see where the confusion is coming from, and I’m still not sure what people mean with force close. It’s possible people even mean different things. There are 2 things and I’m not sure which most people are referring to

1. On an iPhone X, if I just swipe up quickly it closes the app the same as hitting the home button in older iPhones, but it is still open in the background. When I re-click on the app it comes up immediately, but does not have to reload or anything. It is then in the exact same screen in the app that it was when I swiped up.
2. Also iPhone X, if I am more specific about it and swipe up slower, for lack of the right term, it kind of grabs the page and makes it smaller, bringing up a set of smaller pages that are all of my open and running apps/pages, lined up kind of like a deck of cards on the screen. Then if I swipe it up from there it completely closes the app, and when I re-click the app it has to open again, which takes maybe 5-15 seconds and has to go through the fireworks again.

#2 is what I would think people mean when they say force close, but from the descriptions when people ask them I’m not really sure if it is or not.

on my one real day I didn’t have to do this so it didn’t make a difference, but due to my obsessive compulsiveness and type a-ness it bugs me when I don’t completely understand somethning, so when I also got the feeling others were confused I thought I would chime in and see if we can figure out which people are meaning when they say it!

Lol, they're working towards no main groups. Well groups they are obliged to compensate anyway.

If you get a backupgroup but don’t get called, don’t loose heart. We had BG 106 on the 13th. Ride had a very poor day, and after a chat with GET we got another park day comped, so we could try again. I waited until the end of the day, so maybe their resolve was weakening, and I was as polite and reasonable as could be. Maybe we just got lucky, but I get the feeling they are keen to avoid blow back on days the ride isn’t functioning on par.

I see where the confusion is coming from, and I’m still not sure what people mean with force close. It’s possible people even mean different things. There are 2 things and I’m not sure which most people are referring to

1. On an iPhone X, if I just swipe up quickly it closes the app the same as hitting the home button in older iPhones, but it is still open in the background. When I re-click on the app it comes up immediately, but does not have to reload or anything. It is then in the exact same screen in the app that it was when I swiped up.
2. Also iPhone X, if I am more specific about it and swipe up slower, for lack of the right term, it kind of grabs the page and makes it smaller, bringing up a set of smaller pages that are all of my open and running apps/pages, lined up kind of like a deck of cards on the screen. Then if I swipe it up from there it completely closes the app, and when I re-click the app it has to open again, which takes maybe 5-15 seconds and has to go through the fireworks again.

#2 is what I would think people mean when they say force close, but from the descriptions when people ask them I’m not really sure if it is or not.

on my one real day I didn’t have to do this so it didn’t make a difference, but due to my obsessive compulsiveness and type a-ness it bugs me when I don’t completely understand somethning, so when I also got the feeling others were confused I thought I would chime in and see if we can figure out which people are meaning when they say it!
Thank you for explaining!! This is exactly what I was confused about. Also, is it weird that I don’t get fireworks when i open the app? I just have a blue screen and the castle.

If you get a backupgroup but don’t get called, don’t loose heart. We had BG 106 on the 13th. Ride had a very poor day, and after a chat with GET we got another park day comped, so we could try again. I waited until the end of the day, so maybe their resolve was weakening, and I was as polite and reasonable as could be. Maybe we just got lucky, but I get the feeling they are keen to avoid blow back on days the ride isn’t functioning on par.
This solution is great if you have another day in Orlando to burn. Do you know what they are doing for those in this situation without another available day?

Ah yes, thank you for the clarification. I was referring to #2 in your list and I now see that I misread @limabeanmom2003 's question and gave the wrong response. I, too, was referring to a "lift" to get all open apps available and then a full swipe up to close it altogether. This is what one should do if they're actually trying to close the app. If the intent is to "reset", if you will, then you'll want to get to the point of getting the Mickey fireworks again. (I'm going to edit my response to be more clear as I know this post moves fast and I don't want to add to any confusion!)

We hope to ride 3/5. We were lucky enough to grab FP for MMRR that day, but with a group of 8, we had to stagger the FP times, so we really only have about a 30 minute window if we want to ride together (10-10:30). If we somehow missed that window due to boarding group being called/riding, would GET be able to reschedule our MMRR FP for us? It should all work out time wise, but I’m mainly concerned because we will have to use rider swap on ROTR.
If you are in the line to board and miss a FP, I think a GET will definitely help you.

You say you logged in at 7:59. Does that mean you clicked the Join Boarding Group button at 7:59 as well too? If so, you must wait until after 8:00 to click the Join button.

If you waited until 8am to click the Join button, next time, wait for 8am, then count to 3 before clicking the button to give the app some time to recognize groups are available.

If Join button is still not Red, click My Status button and see if the Join button is Dark Blue and clickable, if not, pull down to refresh once.

If still not active after refresh, click back and check the Join button to see if red now?

If not, force close app, restart it and join should be active.

Do this all quickly so if you do have to restart the app, it will be back up by 25 seconds after 8 at the latest so you still have time to join a group.

That's pretty much what I did - for some reason my phone doesn't seem to want to refresh itself to give me the buttons (or at least doesn't want to do it for the 30 seconds I gave it). But the force close and reopen gave it to me immediately. May next time (if the procedure is still the same) just wait until about 15 seconds before 8 to launch the app at all. We'll have a few phones trying so I'm still confident we'll get something within 30 seconds (and I've going to cautiously assume Labor Day weekend won't be as busy as it is now!)

Ah yes, thank you for the clarification. I was referring to #2 in your list and I now see why my response is not clear. I, too, was referring to a "lift" to get all open apps available and then a full swipe up to close it altogether. This is what one should do if they're actually trying to close the app. If the intent is to "reset", if you will, then you'll want to get to the point of getting the Mickey fireworks again. (I'm going to edit my response to be more clear as I know this post moves fast and I don't want to add to any confusion!)
Yes, I meant number 2 from Ninas post as well.

Thank you for explaining!! This is exactly what I was confused about. Also, is it weird that I don’t get fireworks when i open the app? I just have a blue screen and the castle.
IDK, when I reopen the app from completely closing it (meaning my number 2 option from my previous post) I get the castle for a few seconds, then fireworks in a Mickey shape, the the app home screen while it signs me in (I see the sign in button temporarily there, then it disappears and takes maybe 2 seconds, then resettles on the home screen with me signed in), and then I can click on the at-at photo to get the potential Red “join a boarding group”. If I just do my #1 from my long post it comes up to the same screen I left it at, the app doesn’t have to re-do the castle or fireworks screen.

however, even though I described my 2 scenarios I’m not clear on what everyone else means when they say force close- I hope we can figure it out haha!

This solution is great if you have another day in Orlando to burn. Do you know what they are doing for those in this situation without another available day?
I didn’t get the feeling they were offering anything other than another ‘chance’ to ride. I’m not sure they’d offer anything else otherwise there’d be 1000’s of people claiming refunds. Everywhere you look Disney stress they can’t guarentee everyone will ride any particular attraction. Giving another park ticked at least means you’re more likely to spend dollar on food and merch. For those who don’t have a spare vacation day, all I could recommend is if you have multiple days originally, try ROTR at the start of your break so if unlucky you’ll have possible other days to attempt, but I realise this isn’t practical or possible for many people. The advise in this thread to temper our expectations and not build a whole trip around ROTR is sensible. I do think Disney could be more upfront about exactly how fast the BG’s are going so that people have reasonable expectations before they arrive (unless they’re on a thread such as this already)

IDK, when I reopen the app from completely closing it (meaning my number 2 option from my previous post) I get the castle for a few seconds, then fireworks in a Mickey shape, the the app home screen while it signs me in (I see the sign in button temporarily there, then it disappears and takes maybe 2 seconds, then resettles on the home screen with me signed in), and then I can click on the at-at photo to get the potential Red “join a boarding group”. If I just do my #1 from my long post it comes up to the same screen I left it at, the app doesn’t have to re-do the castle or fireworks screen.

however, even though I described my 2 scenarios I’m not clear on what everyone else means when they say force close- I hope we can figure it out haha!

while I was typing this we got 2 clarifications that they did in fact mean my #2, which makes the most sense to me but now I feel better having clarified!! Thanks so much 😊!

I didn’t get the feeling they were offering anything other than another ‘chance’ to ride. I’m not sure they’d offer anything else otherwise there’d be 1000’s of people claiming refunds. Everywhere you look Disney stress they can’t guarentee everyone will ride any particular attraction. Giving another park ticked at least means you’re more likely to spend dollar on food and merch. For those who don’t have a spare vacation day, all I could recommend is if you have multiple days originally, try ROTR at the start of your break so if unlucky you’ll have possible other days to attempt, but I realise this isn’t practical or possible for many people. The advise in this thread to temper our expectations and not build a whole trip around ROTR is sensible. I do think Disney could be more upfront about exactly how fast the BG’s are going so that people have reasonable expectations before they arrive (unless they’re on a thread such as this already)
We have 3 days to try. Hopefully we will win the lotto once. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter