Ready for Round 2? Sorry, very long.....

VogelFamily

Mouseketeer
After 4 months of post-disney vacation depression syndrome, the husband has conceeded that planning another vacation is the "cure". I really think he is tired of my moping and I truly had no idea the sadness I would feel after the "trip of a lifetime" was over. Reminded me of our wedding 14 years ago. You know how you plan every little detail, look forward to something for over a year and then poof, it's over. I need to plan. I need to do things better than last time. I have agreed that there will be no 1 bedrooms, no limos, no cruise but I am going back to WDW.
Here is where I call on your experience again. Many of you will recall that I had significant challenge when dealing with the individual I rented from last year. I was successful and had a glorious stay at the BCV but in the end, she cheated several others out of some serious cash. I learned a lot from that experience and feel comfortable attempting again. However, last time I knew exactly what I wanted. I had a plan 400 days in advance. This time, I just got the green light and have no idea if I have enough time to pull this off. I will trust my "gut feeling", I knew from the very beginning with my last vacation but just went with all of her excuses thinking I was being "idealistic" and expecting too much.
I have several areas that I need some input on. I am weighing many options and know that I need to make a decision very soon but want to be able to hear viewpoints that I have not considered. Vacation dates are October 13-October 20, by the way. If lucky enough to rent DVC again, will most likely check in on Sat 13th, would then check out on Fri 19th. Would use Sat 20th as extra travel day or maybe throw in a day at Sea World or Universal. Would even consider Space Center as the husband would love that. Did price moving over to a mod or AKL/WL for couple of days but not sure if worth the trouble.

1. Leaning toward the BCV again. Loved it there. Absolutely gorgeous. Hoping to do a studio this time. Previously needed the extra room because we knew we would be sharing tight space on the ship. Unfortunately, not a problem this time. The kids will be 8 and 12 and get a long great. No problem sharing space. We did not use anything in the kitchen except for the fridge and will not use that space this time either. Don't need laundry in room as we won't be traveling for 2 weeks. Loved the pool, loved the choices for dining. Love the idea of already being familiar with an area and not having to figure it out. My problem is, I know this is popular time with F & W at Epcot. Have I already missed the opportunity to get a space here? Could not care less about the view. I will face a parking lot or a shrub. Doesn't matter to me at all. I have no preference where in the building I am placed.

2. OKW has really got me interested. The point value of course is great but now sure if an owner wants to mess with renting only 60 or so points. Could add on that extra Saturday and bump it up a bit or even jump up to a 1-bedroom. Also should mention we will most likely be driving this time and I have read it is great to have parking right at your door. Not so sure we will want to drive around the World, we both hate trying to navigate busy areas where we have no idea where to go, so will probably still utilize the bus services. Really plan on having some downtime and wonder about the pool area here but also plan on including the water parks which will satisfy the kids needs. Not overly impressed with the dining choices but have never done any personally so can't make a fair judgement. Worry about the isolation I have heard some experience here. I respect that some times this is a great benefit but am still wondering if we will have trouble getting around.

3. Perhaps I have waited too long and should just go for booking thru CRO. This would take me to a moderate which certainly would meet our needs. I hoped for one of those recent PIN codes but not in the cards for me. Priced AKL/WL but WOW. Really makes me appreciate the generosity of those who rent out their extra or unused points.

4. Haven't entirely ruled out renting a home in the area. This is not exactly what my heart desires but I do have guardianship of my disabled brother and am struggling with whether I can leave him out of a family vacation for the second year in a row. He has been with the family since my 11 year old daughter was just a few months old. We have had only 3 weeks without him in 11 years. All spent at WDW or on the cruise, I might point out. He is fairly mobile and would do fine, I think, with the walking but just wouldn't get so much out of it. This is an internal struggle that I have to figure out. Part of me says, you deserve it, figure it out. The other part says, it is his only chance to vacation this year as well and I need to consider it. Our parents died when we were late teens and left no provisions for him. I have a distant aunt and uncle, the uncle kept him last time we were gone but they don't offer unless I ask. The husband and I can't even spend the night somewhere for anniversaries or such because we can't leave him overnight. Don't want to whine about that, I have a great life, I just am trying to convince myself that it is ok to go without him. He is very high functioning on some levels but gets lost at McDonalds. It's hard to explain but I just wanted to throw that out in case we rent a larger place. No way I could afford all of us at WDW. If he goes we would take a family friend or grown niece/nephew of my husbands to help.

If you are still reading, I also won't be able to provide a reference from last rental, do you think that will be an issue? Not sure what ever happened with her. Fair or not, I plan on renting from someone who has a documented history here. I have no problem with signing a contract but wonder if they really provide any kind of security. Do you all get them? I have no issue with not being able to cancel or change the reservation. With the exception of a death in the family, my plans are solid due to the kids school schedule. In that case, the cost of an unused vacation will not be of any concern. I have no issue with not being able to call MS but I did really appreciate the 3-way conference call last time, even though it really doesn't mean much. Are those common? I am not a needy renter but would want to add on the dining plan at a later date if needed and really appreciated the 3-way conference call at around the 30 day mark. I am fully aware that the call really means nothing but was very comforting after my last experience. I had so many sleepless nights and so much anxiety with the last rental but I recognize from all of the support here on the DIS, especially those who were around when the individual scammed others, that I know I can have a positive experience.
You remember me now, don't you? I can't type a short message to save my life. Thanks for hanging in there. As always, thanks in advance for any input...............Heather
:cheer2: I'm going back to Disney World:cheer2:

If you are still reading, I also won't be able to provide a reference from last rental, do you think that will be an issue?
Welcome back, Heather! (Although the Round 2 title scared the heck out of me!:scared1: )

If a reference becomes an issue, I'll be more than happy to explain what happened, and also the critical role you played in stopping that person, and in getting one person's money back. Without your help, I doubt if any of that would have been possible.
Not sure what ever happened with her.
When last seen, she was pushing her belongings around in a grocery cart. (As our own Dave Barry says, "I am NOT making this up.") Police went looking for her at her rooming house one day, and she's pushing a grocery cart the next day...in November...in upstate New York.

Who says there's no justice?:rolleyes1

Good luck with your quest!

Heather,
I am among the legions wishing you the best on this stay!
I think BCV may be tough to come by for your dates. You may have better luck with OKW. In any event you would be wise to get started with a rental ASAP. And I totally understand your need to plan. When I am between visits, planning is like my pacifier.
GOOD LUCK!

Hi, Heather! It's Dani...I think of you and Stacey and the one other person (whose name I never learned) and I as the "scam club" here on the Dis...kind of makes us soul mates!

I'm so happy to hear you get to go have another "vacation of a lifetime" and I sure do hope one of the many wonderful people who were so supportive of me and Stacey & you during our "traumas" has some extra points and can help you out...if I had any extra points, I sure would! (However, I don't have any extra points and so I regretfully can't...)

Unfortunately, I have to agree that chances for BCV in October aren't all that good...altho one never knows, especially if you're willing to use a wait list! And I can't imagine a person willing to rent points who wouldn't be willing to work with you on all your issues...to try for BCV, to talk to you about whether and how to use the W/L if it's needed, whether to use points for a Sat stay, on DDP, and on your other issues...

Lots of great good luck and welcome back!

Heather,
And I totally understand your need to plan. When I am between visits, planning is like my pacifier.
Planning the minute i get back till the minute i go again, then I take a break when I'm at WDW...then,well,you know, I have to start planning again!:rotfl2: If dh only knew, he'd be very worried....:lmao:

Planning the minute i get back till the minute i go again, then I take a break when I'm at WDW...then,well,you know, I have to start planning again!:rotfl2: If dh only knew, he'd be very worried....:lmao:

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Gosh I am soooooooooo with you on that. I am the same way. I get depressed when we get back.....then I have to have a PLAN AND FAST. Then I feel so much better. :cloud9:

We were planning our next trip while we were there in Jan... have planned out the next two and we haven't even closed on our resale yet!

Luckily DH is probably as bad or worse than I am!

Well to give you a little pixiedust: I booked practically the same dates last year at the BCV. I did it day by day at the 7 month mark and I didn't have to go on the waitlist. I was able to book a 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom with no problems. I am hoping to do the same again here in a couple of weeks.

I don't think that you will have a problem 1 getting the points you want. There were so many of us that watch you go through your ordeal that we wouldn't hesitate to make sure you and your fellow victims never went through that again! I know if I had the points to offer, I'd offer them to you no questions asked!

Here's wishing us both luck getting into BCV's! :shamrock:

We know the pain of longing for the next trip! We just got back last week and are counting down and planing for our trips in May, October and December. Good luck in your search for a Studio at BCV in October....it will be tough unless you go CRO.

As others have said, BCV will be very tough. I book my food & wine trips there at 11 months, and last year wanted a studio for one of my staff for Sat/Sun nights. I wanted to use OKW points for that, so I called right at the 7-month window - the Sat was available, but I had to go on the waitlist for Sunday! It did come through, however. OKW on the other hand would be much easier to get. You could always book OKW and then waitlist BCV if it's not available. It's just an extra step since you're a renter, because the member will have to deal with member services twice and will (most likely) get payment from you twice.

As for renting only 60 points - unless the member is in this as a "business" (and we all know nobody would so such a thing, lol), I can't imagine why they'd have a problem with the small quantity. In my case, I'd rather rent a smaller number like that. It's not only easier to get full payment at time of reservation (I'm not interested in anyone who wants to pay part now, the rest later), but it also means I've tied up fewer of my points in case I change my mind about my trip plans.

The contracts might help you in court, but who knows. I've never done a contract when I've rented, and a few of the people have been strangers. I've never been burned - and since I get their payment at time of reservation, if the check bounced I would have plenty of time to cancel that reservation. I know I'm not going to cheat anyone, either.

As for your brother - only you can decide which you want more.....him experiencing WDW even though it'll "cost" your family, or some well deserved respite from being the caregiver. If it was me, if I was sure he'd really enjoy himself & get alot out of it, I would consider bringing him on a trip (if not this one, some other one). If not though, I wouldn't feel any guilt leaving him for that week - every caregiver needs & deserves some "time off", no matter who they're caring for (spouse, parent, kid, sibling, stranger, etc).

Once you decide what you want to do, I can most likely free up a limited # of points for you to rent (60-80 points perhaps). I don't understand this private message thing here...so email would be best (wdw1972@aol.com). Of course, the DIS rental board may have many great opportunities for you as well. Good luck, whatever you end up doing!

Only 4 months before you get the bug again??? Sounds like you should consider, instead of renting, using that money on a DVC down payment. Stop treating the symptoms and go for the cure! :thumbsup2

Heather if you are concerned about the pool at OKW maybe you could try SSR. The pool there is fabulous. Hoepfully you will be able to get in to BCV's and enjoy that magnificent pool!

Good luck with your decisions & have fun planning!

You truly are the best bunch. I was not fishing for points with this post. I am trying to make up my mind and it's just a huge jumbled list of pluses and minuses at this point. Each option has its benefits and while I am so longing for that vacation from last year, it is just not in the budget. I am grateful that the husband has decided to indulge me at all. I really have to factor in some down time with this trip. WDW was not even close to his ideal, he requires nothing more than a beer and a lounge chair. It's amazing the things we do for love and obviously, he has caved. So.........it really is just figuring out which is the best fit at this time. I have done nothing but weigh the options for days.
I am very grateful that a few owners have contacted me privately and offered to assist me with this. I wish to stress, I was not expecting this but am really not surprised based on their generosity in the past. I have the day off and will sit at the computer with the guide books and review and research until I make a decision later today.
Earlier this morning, I was leaning toward renting a home offsite. Have found a gorgeous home in Windsor Hills, the price is right and the space is unbelievable. However, this was based on the brother and helper going. I would have been more than ok with that but part of me very disappointed that I wasn't onsite.
Believe it or not (should have just done this first) but, of course, I have to worry about every scenerio BEFORE they even happen. I discussed with the brother and he doesn't want to go. My guilt of leaving him behind will be significantly decreased if he CHOOSES to not go. He is very high functioning but would just slow the pace so dramatically. I hate to be selfish and even think of this but as many of you pointed out, if I truly felt he would enjoy it, I would not hesitate. I know he would love to be with the family on vacation but really would not enjoy the crowds and fast pace of WDW. Like my husband, he prefers the leisurely pace of the beach vacation. Each year that we have not gone to WDW, we have gone to Myrtle Beach and he loves this. At this point, we just need a break from each other.
So now, I am back to weighing all options at staying onsite.
My first worry is that BCV won't even be available. OKW seems like a great alternative but I am worried about the pool and the dining options. Also concerned that we will have trouble finding our way around. It looks so very large.
I am off to investigate and will hopefully know very soon what we have decided on.
To those that have so generously offered to assist me, Thank you so very much. Your overwhelming support has lifted me and confirmed that I am in the right place. I know at this date, every moment considering the options lessens the chance that I will get my first choice but I don't make decisions without being fully informed and considering every angle. I am off to obsess........surely you understand........thanks.........Heather

To those that have so generously offered to assist me, Thank you so very much. Your overwhelming support has lifted me and confirmed that I am in the right place. I know at this date, every moment considering the options lessens the chance that I will get my first choice but I don't make decisions without being fully informed and considering every angle. I am off to obsess........surely you understand........thanks.........Heather

Oh Heather you truly are a DVC member in the making! Just let your DH know that DVC members do Disney differently than others. We take it at a much slower pace than most! Plus there are also the two beach locations that would suit your family as well!

Go luck & have fun planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter