Recent polls about "Millenials"

DLgal

DIS Veteran
So, in the past week, I have heard of two recent polls about Millenials, and here is what they concluded:

Poll #1: 1/3 of Millenials believe the earth is flat

Poll #2: 41% of Millenials have NO idea that 6 Million Jews were killed during the Holocaust

Discuss...

Personally, I just can't come to grips with this actually being true. I might be in serious denial about how little people are learning in school nowadays, but also, how is Poll #1 even REMOTELY plausible????

I saw something yesterday saying that (I think it was) 60% of Millenials don't know their taxe returns are due in a few days. I don't know if it's true or not. If it is, there are probably a lot of reasons.

I have also heard buzz recently about people thinking the earth is flat.

Dumb things circulating around social media can sometimes take on a life of their own.

Probably just payback for all the snarky comments about "non-millennials" in the Zuckerberg discussion.

I saw something yesterday saying that (I think it was) 60% of Millenials don't know their taxe returns are due in a few days. I don't know if it's true or not. If it is, there are probably a lot of reasons.

I have also heard buzz recently about people thinking the earth is flat.

Dumb things circulating around social media can sometimes take on a life of their own.

In many ways social media is simply a large scale game of telephone, which brings with it a larger possibility of garbled information -- essentially a massive echo chamber of stupidity.

I can believe both actually - Poll #1 is easier for me to believe than Poll #2 though.

I belong to a homeschool group on Facebook, & I had never heard of the "Flat Earth Theorists" until a mom posted wanting to know if there was a science curriculum that taught that the earth was flat. I was like ????? There are seriously people that believe the earth is flat?!?

And, because the topic got so heated, it's now a banned topic in this particular Facebook group along w/ vaccines, politics, and essential oils. LOL!

But, apparently, there is a whole set of our population that believes that the earth is, indeed, flat, & what's worse is that these people are teaching children.

And I think "flat earth theorists" have become trendy &, because it goes against the grain of popular, "old school" thinking, millenials tend to gravitate toward it.

Regarding the Holocaust, I remember first learning about it when I was in elementary school which would have been the 1980s, and I couldn't believe that something so terrible & tragic had happened not that long ago in history. I remember thinking, "But that's just 40 years ago!" & not really believing that other humans could be that evil toward other humans that close to my lifetime.

Last edited:

I heard about that stuff too and had a hard time putting much validity to it

But besides if that many millennials didn't know about the Holocaust wouldn't the real issue be the education system?

IDK I sure remember a lot of discussion on the Holocaust, watching movies, etc in school sooo who are they even really polling?

I read a poll about Millennials and taxes. A ridiculous percentage didn't know that taxes were due next week.

I can believe both actually - Poll #1 is easier for me to believe than Poll #2 though.

I belong to a homeschool group on Facebook, & I had never heard of the "Flat Earth Theorists" until a mom posted wanting to know if there was a science curriculum that taught that the earth was flat. I was like ????? And, because the topic got so heated, it's now a banned topic in this particular Facebook group along w/ vaccines, politics, and essential oils. LOL!

But, apparently, there is a whole set of our population that believes that the earth is, indeed, flat, & what's worse is that these people are teaching children.

And I think "flat earth theorists" have become trendy &, because it goes against the grain of popular thinking, millenials tend to gravitate toward it.

I'd love to have an opportunity to discuss the moon with them. I'm thinking they likely believe the moon landing was faked, unless they simply think the description of the earth from space or the moon was faked for some reason. I'd also love to know if they think the moon is round or flat as well.

My question is who are the crazy writers of these polls and do they actually poll anyone or just make up garbage.

Those I know today who are 30 something and and younger are bright, astute, know much more about this world than I ever dreamed of, have many more friends of all backgrounds nationalities Etc and are so accepting of other people. I can assure you that schools are still teaching the Earth is round and that the Holocaust happened. Our high school takes a trip every other year to Germany to see the Holocaust monuments and museums.

And who are the gullible people that believe the polls are true?

Last edited:
I really like to believe that the polls or the polling process is somehow flawed. I really do.

I read a poll about Millennials and taxes. A ridiculous percentage didn't know that taxes were due next week.

If it's this article, I noticed one important detail left out of the story:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/11/millennials-have-no-idea-when-taxes-are-due/

It mentions that people were given three choices of dates and 66% got it wrong (April 17th). What it doesn't mention was what the other two choices were. Because if those two choices were the 15th and 16th, I can believe that the majority of people would pick one of those two, either not knowing that the 15th is a Sunday (depending on when the poll was given) or that the 16th was "Emancipation Day", which is kind of obscure.

My DS is a team leader/middle management. He complains about millennials all the time. Until I pointed out he actually is a millennial. 1984 :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

It's easy to misunderstand, misinterpret, disregard those whom we view as somehow other or different from ourselves. We all do it on some level. What's unfortunate is when we get invested in believing that line of thinking is infallible.

I will say Mills are a huge lump. I'm very very late 70s, according to some sources I'm a Mill. I just don't see it. Even with the early 80s kids I don't see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter