Recommendation for a first time WDW with 6 years old

surf_ski

Earning My Ears
I'm looking for a recommendation for a first time visit to WDW with a six year old. I looked at the 4 parks at WDW and I think we will focus on Magic Kingdom for a first visit. Is that a valid assumption? We would like to narrow down the resort so we can find an owner to rent from. We would most likely do a trip in June 2021 from Sun to Thursday night for 6 days total at the parks. We will likely go to a beach location for the weekend nights probably using our Hilton or Worldmark timeshare.

I was looking at the points chart and studios are the most affordable at DVC but I'm not sure if they have kitchens. When we go on beach/ski vacations, we usually rent a place with kitchen as we find it faster to make our own meals. We don't like spending money in regular restaurants and save our money for activities. We occasionally splurge on fine dining if it falls into an experience category like in Japan or Switzerland. I understand that one of the attractions at Disney is the various restaurants. Does it fall under a special experience category like a fine dining meal in Japan? Should we even pursue a room with kitchen for this trip? Considering the extra cost of 1 BR over studio, I'm not sure if we will save any money by booking a room with a kitchen.

I know theme parks involve a lot of walking and it would be nice to come back to the unit for a couple of hours during the day to recharge and then go back out with full energy. What resort location is conducive to that? My wife likes to do rides but I am scared of big rides. I can handle the rides that my six year old can go on.

My daughter enjoys the pool but I'm not sure if we should prioritize pool time here. I enjoy steam room and sauna to refresh myself if any of the resorts offer that.

PS:
Is there a difference between the studios at the various properties like Grand Floridian, Bay Lake, Beach Club? Which ones are more spacious? Easier to rent from owner?

Last edited:
Some questions for you, first. Do you have a feel for which parks will be your priority? With a 6-yr old, might you spend more time at the Magic Kingdom, or will you look to spend time at all 4 parks? If you'll be at MK often, a resort located closer might be nice. Otherwise, the location might not be as important.

The studios at the DVC locations do not have actual kitchens - more like a microwave, coffee machine, etc - nicer than a normal hotel room, but not a place you'll cook and eat full meals. You'll need to jump to a DVC 1BR for that. Keep in mind, the DVC 1BRs are really nice with lots of room - and also have an in-room washer/dryer, which can be nice if you want to control how many clothes you need to pack.

Most/all of the DVC locations would offer you a nice opportunity to return in the afternoon, and all have nice pools. Of course, some are nicer than others. You're likely to get 10 responses here and have 10 different 'favorite' resorts to stay at! Again, with a 6 yr-old, I might recommend Animal Kingdom Lodge - a 1BR with a savannah view is amazing. AKL has 2 really fun pools that kids enjoy, plus the option to see all the animals is often an attraction for the kids (of all ages!). The downside of AKL is the distance to the Magic Kingdom, if you are planning to visit there often - it's a fairly long bus ride.

Another great option is Beach Club. The location allows you to walk to EPCOT and walk/boat/skyliner to Hollywood Studios. And Beach Club has what many people feel is the most amazing pool on property - so that might be an option.

The only DVC 'sauna' option I can recall is a sauna by the mail pool at the Old Key West DVC location - which is another excellent place to stay. From Old Key West, you can take a relaxing boat ride to Disney Springs, where there are dozens of dining options for you.

Not sure if I'm helping you or making things more confusing with options! Good luck with your planning - you have many great options to choose from. Keep in mind, though - if you are going June 2021, a DVC owner can only make a reservation at their home resort a max of 11 months in advance - which would be some time July, 2020. So you have some time if that's the route you go.

Some questions for you, first. Do you have a feel for which parks will be your priority? With a 6-yr old, might you spend more time at the Magic Kingdom, or will you look to spend time at all 4 parks? If you'll be at MK often, a resort located closer might be nice. Otherwise, the location might not be as important.
I looked at the 4 parks at WDW and I think we will focus on Magic Kingdom for a first visit. Would that be too much for six days? Or should we split up between Hollywood studios and Magic Kingdom?

I will try to read up on which parks have more attractions for a six year old.

The studios at the DVC locations do not have actual kitchens - more like a microwave, coffee machine, etc - nicer than a normal hotel room, but not a place you'll cook and eat full meals. You'll need to jump to a DVC 1BR for that. Keep in mind, the DVC 1BRs are really nice with lots of room - and also have an in-room washer/dryer, which can be nice if you want to control how many clothes you need to pack.
Good to know about studios not having kitchens. How much are meals typically at Disney? I am thinking $50 for breakfast for 3 and $75 for lunch for 3. Dinner about $150? So we would save around $100-150 on food if we had a full kitchen and probably be able to get a much quicker breakfast than one would otherwise by waiting for a restaurant. Probably that cost/time saving does not justify the premium for 1 BR.

Most/all of the DVC locations would offer you a nice opportunity to return in the afternoon, and all have nice pools. Of course, some are nicer than others. You're likely to get 10 responses here and have 10 different 'favorite' resorts to stay at! Again, with a 6 yr-old, I might recommend Animal Kingdom Lodge - a 1BR with a savannah view is amazing. AKL has 2 really fun pools that kids enjoy, plus the option to see all the animals is often an attraction for the kids (of all ages!). The downside of AKL is the distance to the Magic Kingdom, if you are planning to visit there often - it's a fairly long bus ride.

Another great option is Beach Club. The location allows you to walk to EPCOT and walk/boat/skyliner to Hollywood Studios. And Beach Club has what many people feel is the most amazing pool on property - so that might be an option.

The only DVC 'sauna' option I can recall is a sauna by the mail pool at the Old Key West DVC location - which is another excellent place to stay. From Old Key West, you can take a relaxing boat ride to Disney Springs, where there are dozens of dining options for you.

Not sure if I'm helping you or making things more confusing with options! Good luck with your planning - you have many great options to choose from. Keep in mind, though - if you are going June 2021, a DVC owner can only make a reservation at their home resort a max of 11 months in advance - which would be some time July, 2020. So you have some time if that's the route you go.
It is helpful.

What would be the best location for Magic Kingdom especially close to rides for a six year old? That way we can do some rides early and late in the day and rest during busiest time.

I won't get into answering all the questions, however your most important need is location and I would choose BLT 1 BR Villa. It is a quick walk to MK and from MK you can take the monorail to EPCOT. Don't underestimate EPCOT for entertainment for a child. Our son fell in love with it at 3 1/2 and has traveled the world and we still visit as a family. Getting age appropriate geography books and a map of EPCOT would give encouragement. Being on the monorail gives you the opportunity to visit, eat and shop at Poly and Grand Floridian. You can even take a boat from MK over to CC which is a great themed resort. Resort "hopping" is really a lot of fun and basically a "free" day.

Time is money at Disney, a 40 square mile resort, so please don't underestimate the importance of location in choosing your villa.

Secondly, I would say to stay as many nights as possible and do take those daily breaks. You can have food delivered to your villa and do some cooking, but part of the fun of WDW is eating and snacking so do a lot of research and you will learn you can split meals and where the good snacks are. You can bring food into WDW like dried fruit and PB crackers which can hold the kids in between. There are ways to save money but there is no "cheap" when it comes to WDW!

There are nice dining choices at crazy prices, but don't expect it to be quite up to European standards. I'd just skip the fancy dining, though Boma at AKL is a great, unusual choice but you may need to take an Uber or Minnie Van to get there. There resort is another exceptionally example of theming as only Disney can do and you should go an hour or two early to view the animals and take in the museum like quality in the lobby.

I could go on and on, but hopefully you get a few tips here!

I agree with the Bay Lake Tower recommendation - the convenience of walking to/from the MK is great. The only other DVC 1BR option you have on the monorail is Grand Floridian. You could also consider Boulder Ridge/Copper Creek, which are a boat ride from the Magic Kingdom.

I also agree that EPCOT can be fun for kids. That park is under an extreme refurbishment right now, but by mid-2021, most of the work might be done - not sure. It probably depends on the current closure and how long that lasts. Animal Kingdom is also fun for kids, with the safari, petting zoo, etc.

Have fun with your planning!

If you are going for 6 nights, is there a reason why you wouldn't want to visit all of the parks? They will all have something new and interesting. In terms of rides, none of the Disney rides are truly terrifying, although I would avoid rock'n' roller coaster and expedition everest... that might be it. Maybe Tower of Terror.

Go to Disney not just for your 6 year old, but for you. My husband and I used to stick our son in a rental stroller for as long as he could fit (5 years old was his max, but he's a big kid) and would walk the World Showcase at Epcot. Turns out that is one of our son's favorite parts anyway.

My suggestion, Beach club villas. Great pool, walk to epcot and hollywood studios (or take the boat or skyliner). Go to all 4 parks. Possibly upgrade to a parkhopper ticket to really get the most out of your location. And do Disney your way. Trust me, your daughter will love all of it, especially if you make sure to take those mid-day breaks! :)

If you are going for 6 nights, is there a reason why you wouldn't want to visit all of the parks? They will all have something new and interesting. In terms of rides, none of the Disney rides are truly terrifying, although I would avoid rock'n' roller coaster and expedition everest... that might be it. Maybe Tower of Terror.

Go to Disney not just for your 6 year old, but for you. My husband and I used to stick our son in a rental stroller for as long as he could fit (5 years old was his max, but he's a big kid) and would walk the World Showcase at Epcot. Turns out that is one of our son's favorite parts anyway.

My suggestion, Beach club villas. Great pool, walk to epcot and hollywood studios (or take the boat or skyliner). Go to all 4 parks. Possibly upgrade to a parkhopper ticket to really get the most out of your location. And do Disney your way. Trust me, your daughter will love all of it, especially if you make sure to take those mid-day breaks! :)

that's a good point. I just thought it would be better to explore one park that is closest to the accommodations we are staying at. We won't hop between parks as I feel that would kill valuable time in transit.

Is there a difference between the studios at the various properties like Grand Floridian, Bay Lake, Beach Club? Which ones are more spacious? Easier to rent from owner?

At 11 months out you will find availability at Bay Lake easiest time get of those 3.

David’s has a ton of information on the resorts, and you can find information like square footage there.

You’ll kill your park time if you eat 3 meals a day in your room; Walt Disney World is enormous and like the others have said, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to spend 6 days at magic kingdom. All four parks are intended for 6-12 year olds I’d say as the primary focus. You can certainly find pretty darn good dinners in the parks for $45 or so for 3, it just won’t be with waiters.

If you intend to take a break every afternoon, I would totally go with park hoppers. You will not waste any additional time by choosing to go to a different park in the evening. For instance, hoppers would allow you to go the MK for the first part of the day and head over to Epcot for dinner or head over to HS for Fantasmic. 6 year olds tend to love AK. There are some excellent shows there, besides the rides.

You're right to assume you'll probably spend the most time in MK. There's just so much more to do for that age group there. As for studios, they have kitchenettes with a mini fridge, toaster, microwave, and coffee maker. If you want a full kitchen you might even want to do a Fort Wilderness cabin. Those are really cool for young children, however you might need to navigate the internal bus station. The other thing with Fort Wilderness, though is that you can take the boat to MK and as a kid that was the coolest thing for me!

However, if you like to steam/sauna I would recommend Saratoga Springs. The resort is in the middle of a huge refurbishment, the first major one since the resort opened, and the new rooms look amazing! They have the absolute best spa! Hands down! I still dream about it. My family has had DVC forever, and staying in Saratoga is really nice! The resort is quieter and more spread out, maybe like vacation homes you've done in the past. Their pools are pretty nice, and they are in walking distance to Disney Springs.

6 days with a 6 year old? I'd check out all the parks, even if you do three days at MK and one at each of the others. Maybe every other at MK? All of the parks have attractions well loved by my kids at various ages. Soarin and TT at Epcot are great "thrill" rides for kids of that age without being roller coasters. HS has some new fun stuff and Toy Story Land (and Star Wars if you're into that). And Animal Kingdom is just awesome and beautiful and the Safari is amazing, Pandora is really cool too, and great shows.
As for accommodations, you've gotten a lot of great advice to consider. :)

If you’re there for 6 park days I’d do 2 days MK, and one day at each other park, then for last day revisit your fav park.
We always get park hopper tickets. We go to one park in the morning then after our afternoon break will go to a different park at night.
I would do a studio, you can make breakfast, using microwave and toaster.
We always take afternoon breaks, we aren’t park open to close people, and never found it difficult anywhere on property.
Don’t know what your budget is, but Old Key West or Saratoga are probably the least expensive DVC.
If you have deeper pockets WL is very nice and has a boat to MK.
The monorail resorts will be closest to MK and the most expensive.

With this being your first visit, research is essential. I highly recommend buying WDW-The Unofficial Guide. Lots of great info. They also have a website, Touring Plans. If you don’t have a plan and just wander around you’ll find yourself spending more time in lines, and less time enjoying attractions.

Studios at Bay Lake Tower are among the smallest studios of DVC. OKW and The Polynesian Villas and Bungalows are among the largest. Studios have kitchenettes that have a microwave, undercounter refrigerator, regular coffee pot and a toaster. OKW studios have two real queen beds. Most of the others have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa. Some sleeper sofas are queen sized, some are double. Some studios also have a bunk sized Murphy bed, shorter and narrower than a twin.
Be aware that most DVC rentals offer no cancellations or refunds if You change your mind. And with the parks currently being closed that has created lots of problems for both renters and points owners as well as point brokers. Go into a rental with your eyes wide open.

People have given good advice. I would want to know what does your DD like? Princess freak? Then yes, at least two days at MK required. But Epcot also has many princesses (and other characters) to visit at their home nation, including the only place to meet Anna & Elsa if you have a "Frozen" fan. Star Wars fans have to spend at least two days at DHS (esp if Toy Story Land is also a priority), and DHS has Disney Jr. characters that your daughter might still want to meet if she watches their shows. You don't have to be a big "Avatar" fan to find Pandora a wonderful draw at AK, esp for food. (No burgers or pizza in sight!)
You could also do a split stay, where maybe you stay at CR so you can walk to MK a couple of days and then move to Beach Club, Yacht Club, or the Boardwalk to be near Epcot and DHS if cost is not an issue, or Pop, AoA, or CBR to be on the Skyliner to those two parks.
The more info you give us about what is important for your family's Disney/Pixar/Star Wars/Marvel fans, the more we can help you have an awesome trip. :-)

I would argue that you don't need to cook your own food to save time and money. You can get quick service meals everywhere you go. These are fast, cost around $10 a meal, and are pretty good quality. I wouldn't want to spend my vacation time shopping for food, having to return to my resort to eat, and cooking. Also I think some of the sit down meals are experiences. There are lots of character meals, where you can meat characters (usually 4) while you eat. My kids LOVE this! We usually do 2-5 character meals per trip.

Definitely check out all the parks if you are there for 6 nights.
We love the Polynesian Villas Studios. They are larger than the other studios we have stayed in and the balconies are spacious as well. The resort itself is beautiful. It’s very convenient to both Epcot and MK.

Personally, we don’t cook extensive meals on vacation. The kitchenette in the studios is sufficient for our needs - we make toast, cereal etc in our room for breakfast but eat out for lunch and dinner. Disney Dining is fun and unique . I would count several of them as experiences that you can’t get anywhere else.

I'm realizing that cooking on Disney vacations is not a good idea. I was approaching them from a ski vacation mindset, where you have to bundle up to go out to eat and service is usually slow as mountains don't have enough manpower for the seasonal business. And there isn't a lot to do after dark in winter with a kid. None of that is applicable for a WDW vacation.

I think I'm 90% sure at this time that we will go with a studio at Bay Lake, make a quick breakfast, eat out lunch and dinner. 3 days at MK and one each at the others so we have a better idea of what we like for a future visit.

I think I'm 90% sure at this time that we will go with a studio at Bay Lake, make a quick breakfast, eat out lunch and dinner. 3 days at MK and one each at the others so we have a better idea of what we like for a future visit.
I think this is a good plan, but keep in mind that studios at BLT are the smallest studios of all DVC resorts. As mentioned, it also only has a kitchenette which is just a sink, mini fridge, microwave and a toaster I believe. Breakfasts should be kept simple, something you can eat "on the go" because there's not much room for sitting down to eat in a studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter