Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Dislike

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters
Same with BC drinking and cannabis is 19. Quebec seem to be the outlier as the drinking age is 18, but have decided 21 for cannabis.

Oops..drinking age is 18 here. I corrected my post. I blame distracted posting..

:oops:

If you hear people talking I feel like I’m the only one against it but there are a few votes so I guess I’m not alone.

I feel like as of tomorrow everyone will be stoned around me and nothing will be the same again.

I can 100% guarantee that’s not going to happen. Because this is new, I imagine the cops will be extra vigilant for the first while. I’d bet you’ve been around high people before and not even known it.

I don't like it either. It makes me feel uneasy.

You really won’t notice much difference. There aren’t going to be high orgies in the streets or anything.

I don’t know your age, and this isn’t directed at you specifically, but I do think the older population has been influenced by reefer madness and that portrayal is just wrong.

In my city, for as long as I can remember, we have celebrated 4/20 (April 20, but also the law or code or whatever cops use to arrest someone for possession). Our legislative building has a huge lawn and it’s overtaken by people of all ages who toke up for the day and enjoy the weather and company. It is policed but no one is arrested for possession. A few rowdy people get arrested for public intoxication (alcohol) but that’s about it.

You really won’t notice much difference. There aren’t going to be high orgies in the streets or anything.
This is what I'm thinking. Recreational use is legal in several U.S. states and it doesn't seem to have made a negative impact that I'm aware of. That's based purely on my observations, but certainly if there were orgies in the streets rampant in the states where it's legal it would be a big story. In a country with a large population headed into their senior years, a naturally occurring substance that has some medical benefit will inevitably win out.

If you hear people talking I feel like I’m the only one against it but there are a few votes so I guess I’m not alone.

I feel like as of tomorrow everyone will be stoned around me and nothing will be the same again.

This has not been my experience in CA. I have never been interested in, nor tried, marijuana, nor am I interested now, but it was legalized earlier this year in CA, and it has pretty much been business as usual. I would say that I think I smell it more now when out and about, but likely that is just as much a function of me being more aware of it now because of the new legalized status. The people I know who used marijuana recreationally before the change still do, and those that were not interested before still aren't now. Hopefully, those that find it useful for medical purposes have better access now.

Last edited:
I'm a 100% advocate for full legalization and have been a member of NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) for the past 10 years, but I disagree with a lot of this.

First, try and give a good reason to legalize without using "alcohol is legal" as a reason. Alcohol is by far much more dangerous, but we are not talking about alcohol.

Second, there are inherent dangers of smoking marijuana, especially underage. It can cause certain developmental issues in minors under 16 and inhaling anything that is burning is not good for the respiratory system. Edibles do negate this, but too many edibles can be a frightening ride. The plus side is there has never been a documented case of over dosing on marijuana.

Third, driving while high is idiotic. There has never been any such test you are referring to. If there was, I'd advocate for it. Driving high is dangerous. I don't care if you are only going 20 mph. Google traffic accidents in Colorado since 2014 (legalization year) to see what I mean.

Again, I fully support full legalization as I see more danger in keeping it illegal, especially in the states, than keeping it illegal. But to say it is harmless and can't be abused is incorrect.
I find it interesting that the most accurate and even-handed facts /most damning information comes from someone who's in favor of legalization!

Other facts I'd add:
- It's impossible to ignore the fact that crime and violence are connected to drugs. We can say marijuana is a "soft drug" and it's "like alcohol", but I'm not aware of people shooting each other over whiskey in dark allies.
- Even if a person isn't addicted to a given drug, it can still ruin his life (or other people's lives). Don't we all know a couple adults who live in their parents' basement and do nothing but play video games and smoke dope? Drugs can kill motivation ... and drug convictions can prevent people from getting jobs. Don't we all know someone who's wrecked a car while high? I know a family who were ALL badly injured /lives changed forever because they were hit by an unlicensed 15-year old driving high.
At one point prominent psychiatrists were hopeful that they could engineer a test to see if a user was allergic. You see, if you're allergic, you are very likely to suffer a psychotic breakdown, not unakin to schizophrenia, an AWFUL illness.
While a test sounds like a great idea, I can't imagine many people would actually bother to get a test before trying it for the first time ... so is it useful in the real world?
And yes, I have seen the psychiatric wards where these users have ended up, in some London Psychiatric Institutions. It can be horrible to see. One patient - we'll call him J - was VERY far gone, an extreme example. He was on 900mg Clozapine and even that wasn't cutting it (Clozapine is a be all and end all antipsychotic medication, the most powerful out there it is considered). But he was angry and delusioned. His mother would visit him with food and he'd smash it against the wall. He thought the orderlies were out to kill him. He saw things in the dark and heard people talking about him.
I don't know much about this, but I know we had a student at our school who had this disease -- or is it a condition? He was a HOT MESS, and I'm pretty sure he's in a mental institution now. Even if this possibility is remote, it seems like MUCH too big a risk to me.
It in no way covers the 12-17 users who are still forced to the black market. Should their use remain illegal or should it be regulated? Alcohol use is open to much younger ages outside the US and Canada.
Uh, no one is "forced" to buy marijuana. Furthermore, you're talking about minors; sure, too many of them are using it, but that doesn't mean we should open a door for them.

Last edited:
You're right. I probably won't notice much of a difference. But I still don't like it. It makes me uneasy because I have a 14 and 11 year old.

That’s a fair point. My daughter is 18 and I don’t know if she smokes or not. She has a father who is a couch surfing bum because weed controls his life so it’s a good incentive for her to avoid it.

In reference to @Domo's comments about marijuana use and schizophrenia, here's an article that discusses several studies on it. In short, regular marijuana use, especially by those who are young or who are predisposed to mental illness, can lead to an increased risk for developing schizophrenia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2424288/

I personally think that a lot more research needs to be done concerning any and all potential health risks before making it legal recreationally. My state will be voting on a Proposition next month to legalize marijuana. I do think legalizing it will increase the number of people who use it, and who are willing to keep it in their homes and smoke it around their kids. I know several people who don't use it now simply because they don't want to risk getting arrested or do something illegal around their kids, but who will be all about using if it becomes legal. We've already had an incident at my DD's ELEMENTARY school where pot brownies were found in the teacher's lounge. I really don't wish to see pot usage become more widespread than it already is.

I'm in Massachusetts, where recreational marijuana became legal in 2016. The day after it passed, you were legally allowed to grow on your property and smoke/partake in the privacy of your home. No driving, no possession while driving, no use as a passenger in the car, no buying from illegal sources. Other than that, it has been a sloooow process. Two years later, we still do not have recreational shops, though we are getting closer to the business permits finally going through.

The other thing is there are A LOT of people who smoke pot in this world-people from all walks of life, people you wouldn't expect, and people who have been partaking for years. It's quite normal, legal or not. I don't expect a large spike in new users once the recreational shops open up. I think it's just going to make those who already smoke, an easier and more interesting experience.

I'm in Massachusetts, where recreational marijuana became legal in 2016. The day after it passed, you were legally allowed to grow on your property and smoke/partake in the privacy of your home. No driving, no possession while driving, no use as a passenger in the car, no buying from illegal sources. Other than that, it has been a sloooow process. Two years later, we still do not have recreational shops, though we are getting closer to the business permits finally going through.

The other thing is there are A LOT of people who smoke pot in this world-people from all walks of life, people you wouldn't expect, and people who have been partaking for years. It's quite normal, legal or not. I don't expect a large spike in new users once the recreational shops open up. I think it's just going to make those who already smoke, an easier and more interesting experience.

We’re getting retailers too. I think I read nine are opening up tomorrow in my city.

In my city, for as long as I can remember, we have celebrated 4/20 (April 20, but also the law or code or whatever cops use to arrest someone for possession). Our legislative building has a huge lawn and it’s overtaken by people of all ages who toke up for the day and enjoy the weather and company. It is policed but no one is arrested for possession. A few rowdy people get arrested for public intoxication (alcohol) but that’s about it.

The real story behind 420 is really quite interesting.

https://www.history.com/.amp/news/the-hazy-history-of-420

However, I strongly believe most people of legal age will shop in a dispensary or other more regulated market and those are the people we are talking about here.

once prices stabilize it's crazy to buy anywhere else-the black market can't begin to meet the prices or match the variety or quality. i don't use other than my topical for pain but those i know to do it recreational y report that prices here are lower than what they paid illegally for it back in the 70's. (and they use much less b/c of the potency).

You haven't provided thoughts on your opinion. Why don't you like it?

My opinion, if adults can make the choice to drink alcohol or not, they should be able to make the choice to use marijuana or not.

It's a harmless plant. It is non-addictive. Effects are far worse with alcohol. It's completely natural, the only "drug" that I know of that is used without any processing. Really, it's just a plant and not a drug..

I agree 100% Alcohol and smoking tobacco are both legal and it is illogical to me that pot is being treated differently.

I think legalizing will have a positive effect on minors as well, it takes away some of the cool factor of doing it, and means they are no longer meeting with dealers that have other drugs to graduate them to

FTR, I’m a grumpy old bat who disdains the use of any substance for the express purpose of intoxication or getting high. And unlike a nice glass of wine or cold beer that can be enjoyed in moderation, does anybody really choke back that disgusting-smelling skunk weed recreationally for any reason other than to get a buzz? :sad2:

I'd be happy with the idea if, like in the UK, there were designated smoking areas - this time, for marijuana users. I respect your right to smoke the stuff, as long as I can smell like my aftershave and not like your cannabis.
Legalization is federal but they have left regulation and enforcement to the provinces and municipalities. Here it will not be legal to consume pot anywhere that it currently isn’t legal to consume alcohol AND smoke cigarettes. Since smoking isn’t allowed in bars or restaurants and alcohol is not allowed to be randomly consumed outdoors, that basically leaves nowhere but in your own home or yard to consume it. Renters will be bound by whatever rules landlords put in place.
Most of Canada it will actually be 18 or 19 years of age, the same as the drinking age in that province or territory. Except for Quebec, which I believe will be 21 years old. Sure there will be a black market for anyone underage, isn't there always? However, I strongly believe most people of legal age will shop in a dispensary or other more regulated market and those are the people we are talking about here.
:confused3 I guess we’ll see. Recent polls of users show the vast majority say it will all depend on price. The current proposed government-regulated price (the minimum that can be charged by the licensed retail outlets) is apparently $10/gram + tax. Knowing nothing about marijuana procurement, I have no idea if that’s good deal or not.

I don't do it myself, but I don't have a problem with others doing it, and I'd rather it was regulated. That being said, after Canada goes legal it's going to be a tense time for those of us in the US who live near the border. MI has a proposal on the ballot to legalize coming up this Nov., but even if it passes it'll take some time to implement. Those intervening months where legal stuff is just a bridge away will be...interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter